ImageImageImage

Let's talk Sully ..

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Re: Let's talk Sully .. 

Post#101 » by Slartibartfast » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:49 pm

After all our worries about his weight and mentality, Sully's pretty much pwned the preseason thus far.

15/8/3 in 25mpg, super efficient, scoring inside and out, moving his feet defensively and dropping sweet dimes.
FeedReed
Starter
And1: 839

Post#102 » by FeedReed » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:11 am

dude looks good! sure, he's going up against 100 pound white guys who probably post here, but still, there's something to be said about how he's moving around better. i guess there's no debate now about sully vs olynyk. sully in a heartbeat.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#103 » by 165bows » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:48 am

Slartibartfast wrote:After all our worries about his weight and mentality, Sully's pretty much pwned the preseason thus far.

15/8/3 in 25mpg, super efficient, scoring inside and out, moving his feet defensively and dropping sweet dimes.

I agree he's looked really solid so far. His shooting touch from deep becoming a fixture will be huge.

I do feel like he has been quite a bit less active on the boards, even though his rebounding stats don't reflect it.

I would say it's been sort of a calm bit of production, more than anything he's been letting the game come to him IMO.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,798

Post#104 » by pac213up » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:41 pm

I was down on him for all those 3's last year, really thought it devalued him as an asset in a trade, which probably proved to be true. However it does look like it has the potential to pay off as the Celtics move forward. Very encouraged by the way he is shooting the ball right now.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#105 » by ballup » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:19 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:After all our worries about his weight and mentality, Sully's pretty much pwned the preseason thus far.

The lack of height or lift is still a problem. Sure Sully gets in great defensive position, but the guy withthe ball just shoots it over him.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#106 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:37 pm

ballup wrote:

The lack of height or lift is still a problem. Sure Sully gets in great defensive position, but the guy withthe ball just shoots it over him.

Of course, but he's not been a sieve. And if he can score, pass and rebound at those rates, his defensive limitations won't be of much concern.

For all his lack of lift, Sully looks like he's ready to make the leap.
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#107 » by ballup » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:56 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
ballup wrote:

Of course, but he's not been a sieve. And if he can score, pass and rebound at those rates, his defensive limitations won't be of much concern.

For all his lack of lift, Sully looks like he's ready to make the leap.

I guess I can't complain too much. The Hornets were a top defensive team with McBob and Al Jeff down lo, so there is that.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#108 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:59 pm

Offseason work showing in Sullinger's game so far: http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/off ... ame-so-far

"I will always play with a chip on my shoulder," he said. "Everybody says I'm not this, I'm not that. I been hearing it ever since middle school. It's cool. I just go out and play my game, and let my game do the talking for me."

Cool preseason stat fact: "Sullinger's 3-point shooting percentage ranks fourth among players with at least 20 3s taken."

Keep shooting 'em threes, Sully! I just fear that we're gonna be an awful offensive rebounding team once again (after being 6th best last year) since he's operating mostly from the perimeter (plus we lost Hump). His ORB% is already down from last season. I don't know how KLove does it.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#109 » by ddb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:18 am

Sullinger has been a nice surprise but not really a surprise, if that makes sense. My favorite thing about Sully right now is that he looks a lot more confident in himself. He's had the reps, he knows what to expect and this season SHOULD be his breakout season. I think he ends up leading the team in scoring & rebounding. Im starting to think an 18/10/3 season on 38% 3pt field goals is a realistic season for him. And maybe.....just maybe he's a dark horse All-Star candidate.

Sent from my EVO using RealGM Forums mobile app
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#110 » by humblebum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:10 am

Always thought people were being overly negative on Sullinger. The dude played with a jacked up right index finger last year. He's got nice form and excellent touch. I knew that with a healthy hand the shooting from deep would come around.

Frankly, I think all the hate has kind of fueled the fire for Sullinger. I don't think he appreciated all the talk about his poor shooting and his weight the past year and over the offseason. I think that put a pretty sizable chip on his shoulder.

Thats a good thing if you're a Celtics fan. Bad news for opponents who are going to have to deal with an angry left tackle who can shoot the ball like a guard from deep.
BfB
Analyst
And1: 3,118

Post#111 » by BfB » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:15 am

humblebum wrote:Always thought people were being overly negative on Sullinger. The dude played with a jacked up right index finger last year. He's got nice form and excellent touch. I knew that with a healthy hand the shooting from deep would come around.

Frankly, I think all the hate has kind of fueled the fire for Sullinger. I don't think he appreciated all the talk about his poor shooting and his weight the past year and over the offseason. I think that put a pretty sizable chip on his shoulder.

Thats a good thing if you're a Celtics fan. Bad news for opponents who are going to have to deal with an angry left tackle who can shoot the ball like a guard from deep.

You don't want a guy needing criticism to get him motivated. Sully's talent has always been an 18/10 floor - but 82 games is a long season and if the guy would maximize his strength and conditioning we'd have a top 10 PF for sure.

Just want to see some accountability.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#112 » by humblebum » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 am

BfB wrote:
humblebum wrote:Always thought people were being overly negative on Sullinger. The dude played with a jacked up right index finger last year. He's got nice form and excellent touch. I knew that with a healthy hand the shooting from deep would come around.

You don't want a guy needing criticism to get him motivated. Sully's talent has always been an 18/10 floor - but 82 games is a long season and if the guy would maximize his strength and conditioning we'd have a top 10 PF for sure.

There are just certain players that don't really need all the advanced training methods to be effective. Sullinger was never going to be an Adonis so I always felt that a lot of talk about his weight and conditioning was overblown. Vince Wilfork plays pretty much every down and goes hard... and I highly doubt he's eating a balanced diet and making sure he gets all his cardio in. Body type is body type so a lot of that can be misleading. Paul Pierce is a guy who never looked to be in great condition but was always one of the most durable guys. Kelly Olynyk might have put a ton of work into his body this offseason but he still looks as unimpressive as ever. Looks are deceiving, IMO, when it comes to assessing someone's ability to perform on a basketball court.

Lots of guys use different forms of motivation. The key thing is that you stay hungry and looking to improve. There's nothing that I've seen from Jared Sullinger which indicates that he isn't committed to being the best player he can be. This expectation that all players are going to be Ray Allen or Bernard Hopkins is ridiculous. Sullinger has been a positive factor on every team he's played for that I've seen. I think we'll continue to see more of that as he progresses here in the early stages of his career.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#113 » by ddb » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:36 am

I just think people need to realize and/or remember that Sullinger has always been an alpha dog and a really good player at every level. He came into the league red flagged and then after 50 games had the back issue flare up....so it was fixed. Last year he was playing catch up all season long on a terrible team, yet managed to show progression and promise. This year should be the year that he establishes himself once again as an alpha...

SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#114 » by SLCceltic » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:09 am

Edug27 wrote:This may have been discussed before, but does he have what it takes to reach his ceiling and be our starting PF going forward?

I can't help but focus on the Kevin Love comparison, mainly because it gives me hope during this rough offseason. Here's a look at both players sophmore seasons in the league:

Kevin Love:
14 ppg, 11 rpg, 45% shooting in 28.6 mpg (22 starts)

Jared Sullinger
13.3 ppg, 8.1 rpg, 43% shooting in 27.6 mpg (44 starts)

We all know the monster year Love had during his 3rd season putting up 20 and 15 .. and the rest was history. What are your expectations of Sully in his 3rd season? What stat line do you predict? What kind of improvements will he make?

Sully is a bit of an enigma from a longterm standpoint. At the 4 he will evolve into an NBA Standard 20 and 10 difference maker but not superstar (Zach Randolph AlJeff); at the 5 he would have to play alongside a dominant 4 for rebounding; off the bench he is a 6th man of tha Yearcandidate.

love me some Sully7 :nod:
hitting that 3 hard-time <you freaking kidding me!
ROYALGREEN
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#115 » by bbd24 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:25 am

ddb wrote:I just think people need to realize and/or remember that Sullinger has always been an alpha dog and a really good player at every level. He came into the league red flagged and then after 50 games had the back issue flare up....so it was fixed. Last year he was playing catch up all season long on a terrible team, yet managed to show progression and promise. This year should be the year that he establishes himself once again as an alpha...

People judge these youngsters like their 30 & can't improve. They want to critique their games like that's it, the end.

It's unfair and unrealistic. Let the development unfold & take place. Patience !
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#116 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:53 pm

The weight issue hasn't seemed to be an issue so far in preseason. If anything, he has looked stronger in the 4th quarter of some of these games. Seems they are slowly moving him up to get ~30 MPG when the regular season rolls around. I would have to imagine that he will naturally lose some weight as the year goes on as well. Paul Pierce was not always the most dedicated guy in the offseason with his weight, but by early December he had shed any excess lb's. Hopefully Sully will do the same in the first month of the year.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#117 » by Kabookalu » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:52 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfSRW7X6EAo[/youtube]

I remember Kevin Love being pretty big himself, and he hit a stride when he started losing weight. That was his 4th year when he started averaging 26ppg. I wouldn't say Sullinger can follow that same trajectory, but I imagine Sullinger being great if he loses weight.
Read on Twitter
hiphop1
Lead Assistant
And1: 32

Post#118 » by hiphop1 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:08 am

We need to trade him the first good offer we get for him or throw him in a deal to get a star he isn't Love or Barkley we need to move him while he is playing well and not injured
Free your mind and your a** will follow
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#119 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 am

humblebum wrote:Always thought people were being overly negative on Sullinger. The dude played with a jacked up right index finger last year.

Funny stuff. This thread was open on my laptop when I got home from playing ball tonight and your post was the first thing I saw. I jacked up my right index finger tonight (just a bad jam, nothing serious) and it hurts a lot. I'm not Kyle Korver to begin with, but no way I could shoot from 23 feet after I jammed it.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#120 » by sully00 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:13 am

BfB wrote:

I am a huge Sully honk and I was so pissed about how he looked in the pre season opener. I was off the train he looked fat and slow and he sucked. Now he looks like Karl Malone and Kevin Love had a baby. Woo woo back on the train.

Return to Boston Celtics