ImageImageImage

Celtics Season Thread, 2014-15

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Re: Celtics sign 3 to Training Camp (over OS limit of 20?) 

Post#21 » by Pogue Mahone » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Oh yeah, that picture of Frazier in his PSU uniform from Parliament's opening post makes him look like a bizarro Marcus Banks/Kyle Lowry clone.
KJandHondo35
Sixth Man
And1: 1,259

Post#22 » by KJandHondo35 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Pogue Mahone wrote:I really like Watford. He was one of my sleeper's last year. I think he could eventually/possibly become a Jumaine Jones/Brandon Bass (mid-range/tweener forward facets, only) hybrid, though not as good defensively, if he can continue to expand his shot out past the three point arc. I like him a lot more than I should, probably.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6ysqL9WNk[/youtube]

Here is the only place I can find that I made reference to him:

HERE

I totally remember watching this last draft and thinking ... "Really? You can't even throw a 2nd round pick at this kid?"

Pretty stoked the Cs are giving him a chance. I agree, think he could be a nice, solid bench guy that can stretch the floor from the PF position and give you more athleticism there (kinda like a slightly stronger poor man’s Green when he plays 4). I mean damn, his last two seasons at Indy he shot 43% and 48% from 3 respectively and over 3 attempts per game. Size wise he is 6'7.5" w/o shoes, 6'9" w/shoes, a 7'0.75" wingspan and a 8'8.5" standing which is only 1" less than Sully with a 36" max vert showing some solid athleticism.
Golabki
General Manager
And1: 1,058

Post#23 » by Golabki » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:06 pm

KJandHondo35 wrote:
Pogue Mahone wrote:I really like Watford. He was one of my sleeper's last year. I think he could eventually/possibly become a Jumaine Jones/Brandon Bass (mid-range/tweener forward facets, only) hybrid, though not as good defensively, if he can continue to expand his shot out past the three point arc. I like him a lot more than I should, probably.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6ysqL9WNk[/youtube]

Here is the only place I can find that I made reference to him:

HERE

I totally remember watching this last draft and thinking ... "Really? You can't even throw a 2nd round pick at this kid?"

Pretty stoked the Cs are giving him a chance. I agree, think he could be a nice, solid bench guy that can stretch the floor from the PF position and give you more athleticism there (kinda like a slightly stronger poor man’s Green when he plays 4). I mean damn, his last two seasons at Indy he shot 43% and 48% from 3 respectively and over 3 attempts per game. Size wise he is 6'7.5" w/o shoes, 6'9" w/shoes, a 7'0.75" wingspan and a 8'8.5" standing which is only 1" less than Sully with a 36" max vert showing some solid athleticism.
i agree on watford as a decent stretch 4 prospect.

With his shooting you just need competent defense at the 4 to be a very useful player... And unlike most of the undrafted free agents, he's neither grossly undersized nor terribly slow.

The problem is that based on his defensive effort in college, I think competent is the extreme high end of his defensive potential...

But it's worth it to bring the guy into camp

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#24 » by TheOGJabroni » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:59 am

I'm with everyone else talking about Watford. I think he has a chance to stick in the league if he's given an opportunity.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,996

Re: Celtics Preseason Thread (2014-15) 

Post#25 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:39 pm

What does Boston Celtics 20-player training camp roster mean...
By Tom Westerholm

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.s ... 20-pl.html
There are a few reasons. The first is simply a matter of presenting an opportunity. Giving Watford and McGruder a contract encourages them to stick around, even if the team can't sign them immediately. Watford is a 6'9 3-point shooter who could quite easily make a good impression with a couple of hot games in preseason play — not unlike Babb last year. After Babb's torrid preseason, Boston didn't have room to keep him. But the team asked him to play for the Maine Red Claws, since there was a good chance the roster would shift during the year and make room for him to get a chance with the team. Babb agreed, and sure enough, the team called him up halfway through the year....

They can be waived if Boston requires room on the roster, or they can be included as minimal amounts of cap relief or filler in any deal. Meanwhile, if Watford shoots 40 percent from 3-point range during the regular season and clearly requires a roster spot, the Celtics have him locked up for an extremely fair price.

Boston put itself in the same situation with Babb and Johnson last season. Both players are technically on four-year deals, but all four seasons are non-guaranteed. If Johnson had turned into a Danny Green-esque 3-point shooter, the Celtics could pay him less than a million per year for the next four seasons. If he couldn't compete in the NBA, he could be released without any repercussions.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#26 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:46 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/503068634780925953[/tweet]

What do the camp invites get for compensation until their contracts are guaranteed (which in all likelihood won't be)? A daily stipend? A pro-rated portion of the non-guaranteed salary? Just curious to know.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,276

Post#27 » by ThePigeon » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:25 pm

Watford played last year in Hapoel Eilat in the Israeli league.
He posted 10.4 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in 27 minutes - over 29 games.
He played poorly in the first playoff round - about 3-4 points and 3-4 rebounds in about 20 minutes.
He played better in the second round agains Maccabi, but Eilat lost in 4 games.
He shot 33.3 from 3 point range 30/90.
His play wasn't stable. He had good games of 15+ points and 10+ rebounds and some really poor games of 1-4 points and 1-4 rebounds.

Sent from my SM-N900 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#28 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:18 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEbvwH6bMAo[/youtube]
Celtics rookie guard Marcus Smart talks about meeting Rajon Rondo, in addition to his goals for training camp and the upcoming season.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#29 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN/status/505446838179491840[/tweet]

Moser played well during Summer Camp. Too bad Celtics just don't have the roster space. And he's probably looking for an actual NBA job, not a D-League one.
Clark
Ballboy
And1: 7

Post#30 » by Clark » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:47 am

I am looking forward to this season. Especially with the addition of Smart. I hope that Rondo and him can play well together.
Go Crimson!
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Celtics Preseason Thread (Camp starts Sept. 30, 2014) 

Post#31 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 9:03 pm

TICK-TOCK!

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/key-nba-dates/
September 26 2014 NBA Team Media Days for teams competing in preseason games outside North America

September 27 2014 NBA Training Camps open for practice for teams competing in preseason contests outside North America

September 29 2014 NBA Team Media Days

September 30 2014 NBA Training Camps open for practice
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#32 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 2, 2014 5:28 am

KJandHondo35 wrote:
LobCityRondo2KG wrote:Didnt Moser get a camp invite as well?

This is the most recent article I could find: http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.s ... ltipl.html

Basically says we invited him, but he was weighing his options because he had multiple invites. Seeing how we are at 21 without him it looks like he's going somewhere else.

Moser passes on NBA camp to play in Lithuania
A. Sherrod Blakely | CSNNE.com | September 1, 2014, 7:45 pm

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/mos ... -lithuania
That appears to be the case once again as the 6-foot-8 forward has had a change of heart in participating in NBA training camps to instead play for Rytas in Lithuania which is based on Vilnius, Lithuania and plays in EuroCup - the second best league in Europe.

No specific details for the deal are available currently, but it has been described as an "extremely lucrative offer" that was too good to pass up.

And Moser won't have to concern himself with a buyout because his deal is just for one season.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,533

Post#33 » by 165bows » Tue Sep 2, 2014 1:52 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Edit:
Celtics Release 2014 Preseason Schedule
by: Brian Robb | Boston.com Correspondent

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... edule.html
The Boston Celtics unveiled their preseason schedule on Wednesday afternoon. Head coach Brad Stevens and co. will open up their exhibition season on October 6th against the Philadelphia 76ers at the TD Garden. That contest will kick off the usual slate of matchups against all four teams in the Atlantic Division for the Celtics as they face the Knicks, Sixers, Raptors, and Nets twice, both at home and on the road.

The Celtics will play only two of their four home games at the TD Garden during the preseason, as the team will travel to Portland, Maine and Connecticut for home games to allow Celtics fans in other parts of New England to catch live NBA action.

Here is a look at the full eight game schedule:

Oct. 6 vs. Philadelphia 76ers at TD Garden (Boston, MA). 7:30 p.m. ET
Oct. 8 vs.New York Knicks at the XL Center (Hartford, CT). at 7:30 p.m. ET
Oct. 10 @ Toronto Raptors at the Air Canada Centre (Toronto, ON). 7:00 p.m. ET
Oct. 11 vs.New York Knicks at the Mohegan Sun Arena (Uncasville, CT). 7:30 p.m. ET
Oct. 15 vs. Toronto Raptors at the Cross Insurance Arena (Portland, ME). 7:30 p.m. ET
Oct. 16 @ Philadelphia 76ers at the Wells Fargo Center (Philadelphia, PA). 7:00 p.m. ET
Oct. 19 @ Brooklyn Nets at the Barclays Center (Brooklyn, NY). 3:00 p.m. ET
Oct. 22 vs. Brooklyn Nets at the TD Garden (Boston, MA). 7:30 p.m. ET

Only two Garden preseason games, might try to catch that first one and get a cheap look at the team and also see how Noel looks.

Edit - on Moser, saw a hoopshype blurb that had the info posted above and claimed 'half the league' gave him a camp invite.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#34 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:50 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SherrodbCSN/status/509818520868487168[/tweet]

Let's get it on already!
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#35 » by Maple Green » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:25 am

I would like to invite Gobert of France for the Celtics Camp.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#36 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:50 am

Maple Green wrote:I would like to invite Gobert of France for the Celtics Camp.

Isn't he under contract with the Utah Jazz?
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#37 » by Maple Green » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:03 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:

If ever he is under Utah's contract we can trade (small trade) or accessories in the trade because I believe this guy (Gobert) have a lot of upside development if we given an exposure...
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,849

Post#38 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah, interesting situation developing with the Jazz who currently have a ton of good young talent. They've recently decided that Favors is a 5, not a 4. They like Kanter and Gobert but I think they'd be inclined to move Kanter more because his rookie deal is up sooner. And Kanter's a stud, make no mistake. That's a good young Center with a lot of upside there. They're real thin at the 4 spot though. Not sure if they'd take KO plus other pieces or not but it would be worth getting our hands on him.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
NL41
Banned User
And1: 260

Post#39 » by NL41 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:25 pm

Maple Green wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:

If ever he is under Utah's contract we can trade (small trade) or accessories in the trade because I believe this guy (Gobert) have a lot of upside development if we given an exposure...

Unfortunately, Utah front office isn't as dumb as you would like to think they are. And pretty sure Gobert leading France over the Gasol brothers and Ibaka counts as exposure. Do you think Utah front office hasn't been watching their guy play in the World Cup?
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,176

Post#40 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:56 pm

We really need to make it a couple rounds into the playoffs this season. Not making the playoffs just makes the off season too damn long. I can't take ittt anymore!
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!

Return to Boston Celtics