ImageImageImage

Jackie M - Rondo wants out?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,177

Jackie M - Rondo wants out? 

Post#1 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:27 pm

So..I don't know if this should be posted in the offseason thread, but I feel this deserves its own thread even if I think Jackie M has been a bit off this summer. She seems pretty damn sure about herself, and I was pretty surprised at how matter of the fact she stated her opinions. This is quite different than the typical Rondo trade rumor mill junk. If this was posted in the offseason thread or trade idea thread, I'd be alright with merging them, though, I think it is worth discussion on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4goffcw1udI

See :08 to :13.

"He told them he wants out...and no one believes me, but that's the truth."

Out of context, I still wonder if Jackie M means Rondo wants out if they can't figure anything out, but I do find it odd how engaged Rondo was with the national media before free agency and was willing to talk about all things Love and Carmelo, and after it was clear we were getting neither, Rondo has pretty much disappeared from the media spotlight.

I personally think there may be truth to this, but if we make a playoff push, I'm sure Rondo would be willing to sign back on next season. It's rarely ever as extreme as Jackie M is making it seem.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Jackie M - Rondo wants out? 

Post#2 » by truth18 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:31 pm

I don't know if this is true or not. I would lean more towards not, but regardless:

Ugh
YOU LOSE
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,767

Post#3 » by 165bows » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:45 pm

I saw this posted on the GB and honestly I'm not sure why that thread got locked other than it was unclear how a couple of different sources got put together in the OP. I couldn't tell initially if the video was old or new or when it was from but I guess it is current.

I take it with a grain of salt but it does seem like one of those things that will get transcribed and turned into article fodder.
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#4 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:47 pm

165bows wrote:I saw this posted on the GB and honestly I'm not sure why that thread got locked other than it was unclear how a couple of different sources got put together in the OP. I couldn't tell initially if the video was old or new or when it was from but I guess it is current.

I take it with a grain of salt but it does seem like one of those things that will get transcribed and turned into article fodder.

Yeah, it's from Wednesday's show so it is recent. We'll see, but if this is true, I'd be alright with pushing for a Hibbert trade. People may think he's soft now, but he's better than nothing if the situation is truly this dire now (which I doubt). There's definitely a decent chance we trade Rondo by the deadline, but I bet it's far more up in the air than Jackie M is making it seem.

For example, if we get Sanders, and he sets his head back on as a 10/10 elite defensive big man, why would Rondo want to leave? I bet he wouldn't. If we are the 6th-8th seed by January, why would he want to leave?
username_taken
Veteran
And1: 2,413

Post#5 » by username_taken » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:56 pm

I'd take it with a grain of salt. How many times have we heard these kinds of rumors about Rondo? Dozens. This is likely no different.
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#6 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:05 pm

username_taken wrote:I'd take it with a grain of salt. How many times have we heard these kinds of rumors about Rondo? Dozens. This is likely no different.

It's a little different. Most Rondo rumors are related to other teams really wanting him or Ainge wanting to trade him to jumpstart a youth movement. Those are taken with a grain of salt because it's clearly Ainge doing his run of the mill "gathering information" thing that he does every year. This rumor is straight up "Rondo wants out", which actually hasn't come from anybody credible until now. It's different for sure.
Chris4Vikes
Pro Prospect
And1: 303

Post#7 » by Chris4Vikes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:12 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
username_taken wrote:I'd take it with a grain of salt. How many times have we heard these kinds of rumors about Rondo? Dozens. This is likely no different.

It's a little different. Most Rondo rumors are related to other teams really wanting him or Ainge wanting to trade him to jumpstart a youth movement. Those are taken with a grain of salt because it's clearly Ainge doing his run of the mill "gathering information" thing that he does every year. This rumor is straight up "Rondo wants out", which actually hasn't come from anybody credible until now. It's different for sure.

I think it's definitely different because it's coming from a reliable source. Jackie Mac is a trustworthy as they come in Beantown and has sources herself. This is not some random rumor.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#8 » by humblebum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:14 pm

Hmmm if that's truly the case I think we'll see him out of here before the team has played 20 games. Just gotta prove he's healthy and performing at a high level

But this seems to fly in the face of Avery Bradley's recent quote about Rondo being excited to play this year and how he felt Boston was a second home to him.

It's going to be an interesting year. But if Rondo is heading out it certainly makes a lot more sense of the Evan Turner signing.
Chris4Vikes
Pro Prospect

Post#9 » by Chris4Vikes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:18 pm

humblebum wrote:Hmmm if that's truly the case I think we'll see him out of here before the team has played 20 games. Just gotta prove he's healthy and performing at a high level

But this seems to fly in the face of Avery Bradley's recent quote about Rondo being excited to play this year and how he felt Boston was a second home to him.

It's going to be an interesting year. But if Rondo is heading out it certainly makes a lot more sense of the Evan Turner signing.

.....and the Marcus Smart pick and the AB signing. Especially if Ben McLemore is coming back. Face it, the # of teams is not large as prospective Rondo trade partners. See below, even though it's dubious in terms of what some of these teams could offer.....

Knicks
Kings
Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Pacers
Charlotte?
Denver?
Atlanta?
Detroit?
humblebum
Banned User

Post#10 » by humblebum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:25 pm

Chris4Vikes wrote:
humblebum wrote:Hmmm if that's truly the case I think we'll see him out of here before the team has played 20 games. Just gotta prove he's healthy and performing at a high level

.....and the Marcus Smart pick and the AB signing. Especially if Ben McLemore is coming back. Face it, the # of teams is not large as prospective Rondo trade partners. See below, even though it's dubious in terms of what some of these teams could offer.....

Knicks
Kings
Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Pacers
Charlotte?
Denver?
Atlanta?
Detroit?

Yeah there certainly is a ton of circumstantial evidence pointing to Rondo trade.

Just gonna stink a bit if that means the timeline for contention is getting pushed 2-3 years back. Thankfully Smart projects to be a comparable or better player in the not too distant future and Bradley is a great lead by example guy.

Green has to be on his way out too though if Rondo is gone. No sense in half assing a tank job.
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#11 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:29 pm

humblebum wrote:
Chris4Vikes wrote:

Knicks
Kings
Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Pacers
Charlotte?
Denver?
Atlanta?
Detroit?

Yeah there certainly is a ton of circumstantial evidence pointing to Rondo trade.

Just gonna stink a bit if that means the timeline for contention is getting pushed 2-3 years back. Thankfully Smart projects to be a comparable or better player in the not too distant future and Bradley is a great lead by example guy.

Green has to be on his way out too though if Rondo is gone. No sense in half assing a tank job.

The tank job is dependent on who we get back for Rondo. If, for example, Ainge decides to trade for Hibbert, I could actually see us still pushing for a playoff spot because of the defense of Bradley/Smart/Green/Hibbert.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,767

Post#12 » by 165bows » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm

Eh, the market begins and ends in Houston, at least until the season starts. If I were Houston I'd be trying to land both Rondo and David West, but they are an Anthony Davis FIBA injury and maybe one other asset short of that.

But again I think Jackie Mac has been in outer space lately. Do we know if she is actually the one that Rondo would use for various 'leaks,' or does he have another reporter that is his go to guy?
humblebum
Banned User

Post#13 » by humblebum » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:36 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
humblebum wrote:
Chris4Vikes wrote:

Knicks
Kings
Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Pacers
Charlotte?
Denver?
Atlanta?
Detroit?

The tank job is dependent on who we get back for Rondo. If, for example, Ainge decides to trade for Hibbert, I could actually see us still pushing for a playoff spot because of the defense of Bradley/Smart/Green/Hibbert.

I would like to hope the Celtics would be able to do something like this but doesn't it seem like a fan's wishful thinking?

Just seems a lot more realistic that the C's will take the best rebuilding package they can get.

Not sure how resigning Hibbert is anymore realistic either, as he can opt out at the end of this season.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#14 » by rickrolled » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:37 pm

I could have said that Jackie...

Every player wil test free agency once in their careers...

How's lunch ?
DarkAzcura
General Manager

Post#15 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:38 pm

humblebum wrote:
DarkAzcura wrote:
humblebum wrote:

I would like to hope the Celtics would be able to do something like this but doesn't it seem like a fan's wishful thinking?

Just seems a lot more realistic that the C's will take the best rebuilding package they can get.

Not sure how resigning Hibbert is anymore realistic either, as he can opt out at the end of this season.

Yeah, I would say it was a fan's wishful thinking before Lance left and George got hurt. Bird supposedly loves Rondo so if there was ever a chance to pry Hibbert away, it would be now. Instead of the chances being 0%, I'd say it's like 20-30%, ya know?
Chris4Vikes
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Chris4Vikes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:38 pm

DarkAzcura wrote:
humblebum wrote:
Chris4Vikes wrote:

Knicks
Kings
Rockets
Lakers
Suns
Pacers
Charlotte?
Denver?
Atlanta?
Detroit?

True, but is that team contending either? Perhaps for the 8th seed. It is my position that the Cs need to take a longer term view at this time, especially with the Cavs loaded for the next several years. A Rondo trade should bring back a young piece, ala McLemore, or TH Jr, or Randle, or Vonleh or whoever. And unfortunately, I think the total return will be disappointing to many. We won't get back a Love like package.

All this being said, I am extremely optimistic about the future with these good young players and all our picks. I will enjoy watching the Nets implode. Just not excited about the next 2-3 years. But I will enjoy watching these kids get better and Stevens coach them.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,489

Post#17 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm

Reality gonna hit some like a bag of bricks.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,924

Post#18 » by NuckyPowell » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:41 pm

I've long thought that Rondo will not be here past the deadline, and possibly be gone before the season starts (this just reinforces that thinking). I think it's going to be Sacramento, even though people regard McLemore and picks as a garbage package, but that's what I think they'll get for him. McLemore, Williams, and 1 or 2 first round picks (whatever minor variations are necessary for cap purposes.) Possibly an expanded version could include Anthony and Babb from us, and Jason Thompson from them.
Chris4Vikes
Pro Prospect

Post#19 » by Chris4Vikes » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Mencius wrote:I've long thought that Rondo will not be here past the deadline, and possibly be gone before the season starts (this just reinforces that thinking). I think it's going to be Sacramento, even though people regard McLemore and picks as a garbage package, but that's what I think they'll get for him. McLemore, Williams, and 1 or 2 first round picks (whatever minor variations are necessary for cap purposes.) Possibly an expanded version could include Anthony and Babb from us, and Jason Thompson from them.

I sort of agree, except the Kings can't offer a #1 pick until 2018 or 2019 because they have a multi-year protected pick hanging out there. So not sure how that can happen.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,489

Post#20 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Mencius wrote:I've long thought that Rondo will not be here past the deadline, and possibly be gone before the season starts (this just reinforces that thinking). I think it's going to be Sacramento, even though people regard McLemore and picks as a garbage package, but that's what I think they'll get for him. McLemore, Williams, and 1 or 2 first round picks (whatever minor variations are necessary for cap purposes.) Possibly an expanded version could include Anthony and Babb from us, and Jason Thompson from them.

Even worse is that Rondo will kill that trade.

Return to Boston Celtics