ImageImageImage

McGee NOT to Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,931

Re: McGee NOT to Boston 

Post#321 » by SuperDeluxe » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:19 pm

cl2117 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et3LTKx2OaA[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing this document. We are witnesses to greatness.
Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,949

Post#322 » by Drax » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:40 pm

Am i the only one who wonders why he didn't sign with an other team yet? Why would McGee not accept the Celtics offer, if there was no other team allready in place. Seems like a dumb move from his camp to at least wait until he actually has a deal in place.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#323 » by return2glory » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:51 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
return2glory wrote:
People need to also stop calling MgGee dumb. He is more successful than most people in this country.

He is dumb. Go check his twitter for further proof of that. And if that doesn't convince you, then go on youtube and check out the reality show he and his mom are on. The only reason he happens to be rich is because he won the genetics lottery. His dad was 6'10" (George Montgomery, 2nd round pick of the Blazers) and his mom was 6'3" (Pam McGee, WNBA player).

Dumb people can be rich. He has a unique athletic talent and hit the genes lottery. He is still as dumb as a rock.

And smart people can be poor or stuck in the rat race.

When people state such and such player is dumb, who made them judge and jury?

Just say he doesn't have high basketball IQ. Calling someone dumb is just mean, but maybe it gives people the illusion that putting someone down makes them feel better about themselves.

A player like KO gets a pass. He is often called a high IQ player, which is do not agree with. KO passes up too many easy, open, close range shots. That's not high basketball IQ.

KO had about a month off but will get a pass for missing shots and hurting the team win.

James Young looks like Chris Johnson, nothing great to this point. Yet people want him to play minutes.

Bottom line is that McGee fills a need for this and he can help this team. The Celtics already showed interest enough to think they had a deal in place. Dumb or smart, that's not the issue here.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#324 » by return2glory » Fri Mar 6, 2015 7:53 pm

darrendaye wrote:He blocks shots and dunks and is below average at everything else. He is a poor positional defender both in space and on the block. For the signing to pay dividends, plenty of coaching work and time was going to need to be spent on him. No way you sign the guy for just one season, imo.

He also runs the floor well and rebounds well.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#325 » by cl2117 » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:01 pm

JaVale doesn't need apologists, he needs to get his head screwed on straight and make use of his talent. He's in the top 10 in terms of pure talent as far as NBA centers currently in the league go. Yet he can't get out of his own way to make a difference for a team.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#326 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:01 pm

Yeah, Mcgee's low BBIQ and possible low IQ are well established.. But since he tweeted happily about coming to Boston, again, I think this was some agent b.s. at the last minute. You really think Javale's weighing the implications of a team option versus a player option with the same detail as his representatives?
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#327 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:19 pm

None of this ever made any sense.

McGee has better options to play out the rest of this season.

Accepting a low salary for next season over going to free agency would have likely cost him money.

Doing so as part of a team option for next year is even worse, because he wouldn't even get that if he got seriously hurt.

Giving him a player option for next season is bad business for Boston, given the fact that he only accepts it if he gets seriously hurt.

I just don't get it. How was this ever possible, never mind "close" to being official?
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#328 » by humblebum » Fri Mar 6, 2015 8:32 pm

But the funny thing is that McGee will likely fail to crack the rotation of a San Antonio, Golden State or whoever...

And would probably underperform or underwhelm in Miami or Cleveland.

So, frankly, I think unlike Turner (who people see as dumb) is a guy who is actually committing himself to a team and buying into a coach and system to rehab his career (like Tony Allen did) while McGee is looking for a payday and likely not keeping his word (as I don't believe Ainge would comment publicly on a player where there wasn't an agreement in place).

I will predict that McGee will never end up being a special or impact player unless he gets with a good coach and truly commits himself to a discipline role. Stevens isn't the only one of those guys out there but when you factor in role opportunity, etc. plus the fact he was getting paid a fair wage from the Sixers next season... this has early signs of a bad career choice for McGee. We'll see where he lands but I'm not too confident this will turn out to be anything but the usual Javale.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#329 » by 15th overall » Fri Mar 6, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm hoping Ainge left the door cracked open enough for BJ Armstrong to come crawling back and take the original deal, should it come to that... although it definitely doesn't sound like that's an option from the tone of some of those tweets.

He's got no chance whatsoever of starting with any of the other teams Woj listed and like humble said, on a lot of those teams it'll be tough for him to just crack the rotation. Terrible showcasing situations for him.

Whether he gets that player option or not, I think this guy is gonna need to sign an Adrian Beltre "prove it" deal for next season in order to get people actively bidding serious money on a longterm commitment. Teams aren't gonna be jacked up to sign him if all he's doing is Bazemoring it for the rest of the season.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#330 » by DarkAzcura » Fri Mar 6, 2015 9:10 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:None of this ever made any sense.

McGee has better options to play out the rest of this season.

Accepting a low salary for next season over going to free agency would have likely cost him money.

Doing so as part of a team option for next year is even worse, because he wouldn't even get that if he got seriously hurt.

Giving him a player option for next season is bad business for Boston, given the fact that he only accepts it if he gets seriously hurt.

I just don't get it. How was this ever possible, never mind "close" to being official?

The bolded is why I think it was close (partly). I don't think that's true necessarily. Say McGee comes in and averages 8/8/2 (blocks) to close out the year, and we claim the 8th seed. Then he opts out. I severely doubt he is getting much more than 2 million. Maybe he gets 4-5 million from someone, but he would be better served coming back in 2015-2016 at 2 million, playing a full season, and potentially be apart of a top 5-7 defense. In Summer 2016 at the age of 28, I bet someone (maybe not us) would hand him a 3/30 deal because of the cap raises making that only a couple million higher than the MLE for someone who was the center of a top 7 defense. I think that's why the situation was appealing here. If he goes to any other "better" (contender) situation, he won't receive enough playing time to get him a nice contract in Summer 2015 or Summer 2016. I think it's all weird because in the end hitting free agency in 2016 is better than hitting it in 2015 as long as you aren't worried about injury.

EDIT: I think he wanted the player option to bounce out of here just in case he didn't get the playing time he expected, which, imo, is a bad sign because it may show he's not confident in his ability. I don't think he wanted a player option to get a better contract after the year was up because he's not getting a great contract for playing out a rental year. He needs a full season before anyone commits the dollars he probably wants so yeah, him wanting a player option probably had more to do with worrying about going into the doghouse or falling behind in the rotation like what happened in Denver. This way he could have bounced out of here if he felt Stevens didn't want to play him instead of working on his weaknesses.
rickrolled
Head Coach
And1: 2,652

Post#331 » by rickrolled » Fri Mar 6, 2015 10:56 pm

Did Ainge make a new statement regarding his first statement on Toucher and Rich ?

And where's the supposed tweet by McGee, anyone saw it ?
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#332 » by Bohemian » Fri Mar 6, 2015 11:00 pm

rickrolled wrote:Did Ainge make a new statement regarding his first statement on Toucher and Rich ?

Nothing new on Ainge's statements, and McGee's tweet is nowhere to be found.

I still keep some hope that somehow we still sign him :wink: :roll:
DarkAzcura
General Manager
And1: 7,150

Post#333 » by DarkAzcura » Sat Mar 7, 2015 12:41 am

rickrolled wrote:Did Ainge make a new statement regarding his first statement on Toucher and Rich ?

He deleted the tweets, lol. He essentially said it was good to be with Boston and then posted the number 12 (likely his jersey number) with a clover.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,969

Post#334 » by darrendaye » Sat Mar 7, 2015 1:02 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CSNTommy/status/574006505764225024[/tweet]
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#335 » by BigTrade92 » Sat Mar 7, 2015 1:41 am

Thing that cracks me up is that after tonight, another game is down in the books.

You would think a guy so inclined to get out there and prove his salt, would be eager to sign with a team and start playing....

:crazy: And people here are trying to defend McGee like he's actually a smart guy......
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#336 » by ballup » Sat Mar 7, 2015 3:26 am

Bohemian wrote:

Nothing new on Ainge's statements, and McGee's tweet is nowhere to be found.

I still keep some hope that somehow we still sign him :wink: :roll:

Not going to happen.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/573584983140491264[/tweet]
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#337 » by jfs1000d » Sat Mar 7, 2015 3:51 am

Seems Ainge is miffed and they pulled the deal after he agreed, then backed out.

Could have helped and we need an athletic 7-footer. He could play a little bit.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#338 » by jirrit » Sat Mar 7, 2015 6:31 pm

Is there another 7 footer out there without contract?
greenmachine_2849
Sixth Man
And1: 133

Post#339 » by greenmachine_2849 » Sat Mar 7, 2015 7:15 pm

andy582 wrote:
greenmachine_2849 wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:If they'd pushed for a guaranteed deal through next year that probably would have worked out, as it makes sense for McGee to want a bit more of a commitment for us. As for the player option, that just makes no sense at all. No team is going to invest minutes in him with no upside. If he plays well he bounces, and if he doesn't we're stuck with him.

Exactly right. Both sides showed interest in having a second year in Boston under their terms, so why not just meet in the middle? Neither side gets exactly what they want, which is how negotiations work.

Anyway, I think this falls into the "two wrongs make a right" category. I question Ainge's judgment in going after McGee in the first place, and I question his negotiating abilities once he decided to target McGee. But, since we ultimately wound up not getting him in the process, all is good.

It might be one of those situations where no one wants the middle, like you're only interested if it's a hugely advantageous deal. Boston wants to take a no strings gamble on Mcgee, keep him if he plays well or cut him loose if they want a different free agent. Mcgee's camp wants a 25-game spotlight to dunk and look healthy, then go into free agency or have the player option as a backup plan. A fair two-year commitment doesn't benefit either of them.

What's weird is that they got to the point of having Ainge make an announcement and Mcgee tweet about it- it's rare to go public and then have a deal fall through, so I'm convinced Armstrong/Tellem have a bigger agenda and negotiated in bad faith..

Could be the case. If McGee is solely determined to play his way into a multi-year deal next summer, then having the 2015-2016 season entirely out of his hands would obviously be a deal-killer from their perspective. I don't know. Again, I am just happy we did not sign this clown, so I won't complain too much.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#340 » by Bohemian » Mon Mar 9, 2015 8:51 am

I still can't believe we didn't sign McGee. Seriously. :banghead:

It’s still hard to see how the Celtics and JaVale McGee could have bridged their differences on the guarantee for next season, but evidently each side was confident at some point it would be getting its way.

So confident, in fact, that McGee was actually in Waltham on Thursday and could conceivably have been on the team’s flight to New Orleans that day or gone down later had things been worked out.

If McGee had signed, the Celts, with their roster at the 15-man maximum, would have had to make a move. Most likely, the club would have released Shavlik Randolph, who was actually asked to come to the team’s facility for a meeting that day. It’s not known whether that talk was related to the McGee situation, but it’s probably fair to assume that, in that the meeting was canceled when the deal fell through.

Randolph, acquired in January from the Suns in the three-team deal that got Austin Rivers to the Clippers, is certainly aware of his position on the roster. But it made for an uncertain several hours before he got on the plane.

“You know what, this is my eighth year in the NBA. I’ve seen it all,” Randolph said. “But it was an interesting day. As with anything, nothing’s done until it’s done, especially in this league, so I try not to jump to any conclusions and just go about my work as usual. But there were aspects of it that were weird.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/celt ... in_the_air

Return to Boston Celtics