ImageImageImage

McGee NOT to Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Re: McGee NOT to Boston 

Post#361 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Mar 9, 2015 10:32 pm

I hope he goes to Chicago, just so I can see Thibs' head explode trying to explain defensive rotations to McGee.
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#362 » by Marvel » Mon Mar 9, 2015 11:02 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:I hope he goes to Chicago, just so I can see Thibs' head explode trying to explain defensive rotations to McGee.

That probably rules out Chicago lol. Thibs is too much of a hard ass for McGee to be messing around like a fool.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

McGee NOT to Boston 

Post#363 » by jfs1000d » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:49 am

Either ainge is a great evaluator of talent, or Stevens is something special as a coach. Crowded, IT, jerebko, Datome, he gets stuff out of player who were buried n bunches.

I think Stevens could get something out of McGee.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#364 » by sully00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:45 am

jfs1000d wrote:Either ainge is a great evaluator of talent, or Stevens is something special as a coach. Crowded, IT, jerebko, Datome, he gets stuff out of player who were buried n bunches.

The thing is that Stevens has an easy ask right now. These are all guys who got to the NBA because they were stars and he is telling them go out there and be stars we ain't got anybody else. There are no stare downs for turning it over or shaky shot selection Stevens doesn't care right now he just needs guys to go out there and play hard and hope somebody gets hot.

I actually think McGee would flourish in this situation it is basically a very expensive pick up game out there as it is.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#365 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:59 pm

I think Stevens does a few things great:

1. Putting players in position to maximize their abilities
2. Playing an offense that is attractive to players - uptempo and everyone has free reign to take open shots if they are there
3. Getting the team to play hard over an 82-game schedule - very few games this year with poor energy
4. Working to make our defense be as good as it can be - we're 16th in D despite having basically no interior D

He's not a miracle worker, but getting guys to play team defense and play hard all year is a huge task and Stevens does so in a manner that is positive and builds players up, rather than someone like Scott Skiles who can extract wins but eventually wears out his welcome.

Ainge has definitely found guys who have the mentality and skills to fit Stevens' style, but Stevens is also maximizing what he has.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#366 » by VeryMuchWoke » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:46 pm

sully00 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:Either ainge is a great evaluator of talent, or Stevens is something special as a coach. Crowded, IT, jerebko, Datome, he gets stuff out of player who were buried n bunches.

The thing is that Stevens has an easy ask right now. These are all guys who got to the NBA because they were stars and he is telling them go out there and be stars we ain't got anybody else. There are no stare downs for turning it over or shaky shot selection Stevens doesn't care right now he just needs guys to go out there and play hard and hope somebody gets hot.

I actually think McGee would flourish in this situation it is basically a very expensive pick up game out there as it is.

I think you are off base here. It's an easy sell because of how Stevens goes about asking, not because there's no discipline in what we're doing. Outside of Crowder and Bradley I can't think of anybody that's been trying to do to much, and even those 2 aren't egregious. Guys are making the correct basketball plays out there for the most part. We're not a great team, but the limiting factor is our talent.

Stevens isn't getting guys to play hard at the expense of anything. Being aggressive and taking open shots is good basketball.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,676

Post#367 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

The 7-foot shot-blocker is not completely ruled out in Boston

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -warriors/
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#368 » by KGboss » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:
The 7-foot shot-blocker is not completely ruled out in Boston

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... -warriors/

BANNER 18!!
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#369 » by jfs1000d » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:45 pm

McGee hasn't signed anywhere else. What's going on?

This would make me less inclined to pick him up. We all know about his on court difficulties. Maybe he's equally as perplexing off the court. Just sign with someone and play basketball.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#370 » by KGboss » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:48 pm

I think this is mostly his agent at work and not McGee himself. I'm sure hes equally as frustrated as these games go by. Hes only got 20 some odd games left of the RS to showcase himself before he ends up on some team for a vet min contract next year.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#371 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:56 pm

jfs1000d wrote:McGee hasn't signed anywhere else. What's going on?

This would make me less inclined to pick him up. We all know about his on court difficulties. Maybe he's equally as perplexing off the court. Just sign with someone and play basketball.

I think Armstrong is still holding out to get McGee the team option on the 2nd year. Seeing as how most playoff teams only want him for depth during the post season, I'm sure many are balking at giving him that second year.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#372 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:52 pm

Still think he ends up with the heat.
*Insert witty signature here.*
shawn unkempt
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,999

Post#373 » by shawn unkempt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:58 pm

At this point it's probably best for McGee to wait and see if a team has a key injury and gives him the contract situation he wants.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#374 » by sully00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 pm

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
sully00 wrote:

I think you are off base here. It's an easy sell because of how Stevens goes about asking, not because there's no discipline in what we're doing. Outside of Crowder and Bradley I can't think of anybody that's been trying to do to much, and even those 2 aren't egregious. Guys are making the correct basketball plays out there for the most part. We're not a great team, but the limiting factor is our talent.

Stevens isn't getting guys to play hard at the expense of anything. Being aggressive and taking open shots is good basketball.

I am not trying to be negative but you can't tell me that Jerebko, Datome, and Crowder had the same freedom in the offense in DET or DAL they have now. I don't see a terrible amount of discipline in their offensive approach and that is fine. The are getting back on defense and attacking the offensive glass I like a little chucking it give them a fighters chance.

The bigger issue is that guys can play loose they don't have to worry that a bad shot or a turnover means that it is over. How many airballs has this team put up the last couple of weeks and Stevens is unfazed.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#375 » by sully00 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:06 pm

jfs1000d wrote:McGee hasn't signed anywhere else. What's going on?

I don't know that he has an offer to sign with another team. Perhaps he is demanding that second year option from everyone. But the only offer he has had was from Boston and now a couple of teams are saying they are not interested.
pfm
Sixth Man
And1: 1,652

Post#376 » by pfm » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:13 pm

Just like Danny, not many teams are going to be interested in McGee if he is demanding a player option. It leaves little upside for the team. And if he did flake on Ainge last minute, that's not exactly the best reflection on his character (even if it is his agent), which already was a major concern.
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#377 » by jfs1000d » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:57 pm

sully00 wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
sully00 wrote:

I am not trying to be negative but you can't tell me that Jerebko, Datome, and Crowder had the same freedom in the offense in DET or DAL they have now. I don't see a terrible amount of discipline in their offensive approach and that is fine. The are getting back on defense and attacking the offensive glass I like a little chucking it give them a fighters chance.

The bigger issue is that guys can play loose they don't have to worry that a bad shot or a turnover means that it is over. How many airballs has this team put up the last couple of weeks and Stevens is unfazed.

Sully, that's a staple of who Stevens is. We are going to play loose offensively and let players be who they are. He is going to yell at guys, but it isn't going the be the college coach/disciplinarian woe is me taskmaster coach who crushes players with system.

Stevens' theory is volume and efficiency. First off, higher tempo offense is more exciting and players like to play offense.

this is who Stevens is. You have to play defense in a team concept, but offensively, players are allowed to accentuate their strengths. He will never over manage a game. He will play with combinations, but if a player is being aggressive, why would he cut that up?
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach

Post#378 » by VeryMuchWoke » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:09 pm

sully00 wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
sully00 wrote:

They didn't have the same freedom, no, but I think the system is predicated on everyone being a bit of a playmaking threat. I see the airballs more as a consequence of our lack of offensive talent rather than an undisciplined offense. For the most part guys aren't taking bad shots off the dribble. There are no JR Smith's on this team. Sure, every once in a while Crowder will try to make a step-back jumper, or Smart will launch from a few feet too far out, but that's going to happen in any system especially with a team this young.

You point to Jerebko, Datome and Crowder but those guys are posting O-Ratings of 132 (outstanding) , 118 (outstanding), and 106 (not horrible, especially for more of a defensive player). If you're saying that it's an easy ask because they get some freedom, then you might be right, but I don't think it all implodes when we get ourselves a star.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#379 » by sully00 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:38 am

iTalkToTheLord wrote:
sully00 wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:

They didn't have the same freedom, no, but I think the system is predicated on everyone being a bit of a playmaking threat. I see the airballs more as a consequence of our lack of offensive talent rather than an undisciplined offense. For the most part guys aren't taking bad shots off the dribble. There are no JR Smith's on this team. Sure, every once in a while Crowder will try to make a step-back jumper, or Smart will launch from a few feet too far out, but that's going to happen in any system especially with a team this young.

You point to Jerebko, Datome and Crowder but those guys are posting O-Ratings of 132 (outstanding) , 118 (outstanding), and 106 (not horrible, especially for more of a defensive player). If you're saying that it's an easy ask because they get some freedom, then you might be right, but I don't think it all implodes when we get ourselves a star.

You keep taking this in some way that I am trying to be negative I am not at all I love what he has done. You seem to be missing my point. What I am saying is that it is a challenge to get a good player to play a small role it is an easy ask to get a guy who is used to being a star but has had nothing but scraps to go out there and be the guy that got you here. Do yourself a favor and see the interview Datome did last night and you might see what I am saying.

I think that is the opportunity they thought they were giving McGee and he kind of crapped on it.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach

Post#380 » by VeryMuchWoke » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:27 am

sully00 wrote:
iTalkToTheLord wrote:
sully00 wrote:I am not trying to be negative but you can't tell me that Jerebko, Datome, and Crowder had the same freedom in the offense in DET or DAL they have now. I don't see a terrible amount of discipline in their offensive approach and that is fine. The are getting back on defense and attacking the offensive glass I like a little chucking it give them a fighters chance.

You keep taking this in some way that I am trying to be negative I am not at all I love what he has done. You seem to be missing my point. What I am saying is that it is a challenge to get a good player to play a small role it is an easy ask to get a guy who is used to being a star but has had nothing but scraps to go out there and be the guy that got you here. Do yourself a favor and see the interview Datome did last night and you might see what I am saying.

I think that is the opportunity they thought they were giving McGee and he kind of crapped on it.

I get your point, I just think it's slightly unfair. Maybe only by implication, but it seems to me like you are saying the team harmony might go out the window when he has to fit a star into the system. While you aren't wrong, I just think he should be judged on the job he has done with the roster he has.

While you can say the system is an "easy sell" to the guys on this roster, that shouldn't overshadow the fact that he's got a relatively talentless roster playing great offensive basketball.
Pat Riley

Return to Boston Celtics