ImageImageImage

Summer League Thread 2015: Celtics went to Quarter Finals

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics have a 1st Round Bye, How far will we go in the Las Vegas SL Tournament?

Loss, in the 2nd Round (16 Teams)
9%
Win, in the 2nd Round (8 Teams)
3%
Win, in the Quarter Finals (4 Teams)
4%
Win, in the Semi-Finals (2 Teams)
24%
Win the Tournament!!!
61%

Total votes: 76

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Summer League Thread 2015: Celtics went to Quarter Finals 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:55 am

Celtics Summer League Roster, 2015 (Las Vegas)

49 Fair, C.J. F 6-8 215 Syracuse/USA
68 Holmes, Jonathan F 6-8 240 Texas/USA
28 Hunter, R.J. G 6-6 190 Georgia State/USA
55 Mickey, Jordan F 6-8 235 Louisiana State/USA
48 Miller, Malcolm F 6-7 210 Holy Cross/USA
47 O'Neale, Royce F 6-6 215 Baylor/USA
12 Rozier, Terry G 6-1 190 Louisville/USA
70 Sampson III, Ralph C 6-11 244 Minnesota/USA
36 Smart, Marcus G 6-4 220 Oklahoma State/USA
27 Thornton, Marcus G 6-4 190 William & Mary/USA
46 Walden, Corey G 6-2 189 Eastern Kentucky/USA
13 Young, James G-F 6-6 215 Kentucky/USA
20 Holyfield, Michael C 6-11 270 Sam Houston State ― (Late Addition)

NBA to track five ‘hustle stats’ at 2015 Summer League in Las Vegas
Brett Pollakoff | Jul 10, 2015

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/10/nba-to-track-five-hustle-stats-at-2015-summer-league-in-las-vegas/comment-page-1/

________________________________________________________________________________________

NBA Summer League 2015: Utah Jazz Summer League Schedule
By AllThatAmar | May 18, 2015

http://www.slcdunk.com/2015/5/18/8622219/nba-summer-league-2015-utah-jazz-summer-league-schedule-spurs-celtics-76ers

http://www.nba.com/magic/summerleague
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Celtics (& others) Summer League Thread 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Joel Embiid Will Play In NBA Summer League
Posted on April 23, 2015 by David Goodman

http://www.thephillysportscave.com/2015/04/23/joel-embiid-will-play-in-nba-summer-league/
Given where the Sixers are in their rebuild, it becomes all the more important that Embiid start getting some real game time experience under his belt, even if Noel will likely pass on playing this summer. Brown has already said that the upcoming season will be an important one in the Great Rebuild as he hopes to have the Sixers move to the next stage, which is actually winning some games. For that to happen, Embiid needs to start becoming the player everyone seems to think he is going to become.

And that journey starts this summer in Las Vegas.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Re: Summer League Thread: Celtics, & others 

Post#3 » by truth18 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:59 pm

^awesome. Can't wait to watch Embiid play live this year.

Maybe I should casually bring up him joining the Cs (I usually sit behind the Sixers' or opponents' bench)
YOU LOSE
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,581

Summer League Thread: Celtics, & others 

Post#4 » by lon3lytoaster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49 pm

Smart, Young and possibly up to four of our own, new rookies. Should be fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Re: Summer League Thread: Celtics, & others 

Post#5 » by KumaJG » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Smart and Young are the two am interested in.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Summer League Thread 2015: Celtics, & others 

Post#6 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 5, 2015 7:39 pm

Hoping to play Marcus Smart more at point guard in summer league...
By Jay King | mjking@masslive.com | April 30, 2015

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2015/04/boston_celtics_really_want_mar.html
"Phil is a possibility for summer league. We may play Marcus some and Phil some, but we really want Marcus to play a little bit more of the point guard position in summer league," Ainge said Thursday morning at an end-of-season press conference. "We feel like we have a good feel for who Phil is, and we really like him. But he may or may not still (play). We're still undecided on that. They may take turns starting and playing in the summer league, or some variation, but that hasn't been concluded yet."...

Ainge confirmed the Celtics have entered the Utah and Las Vegas summer leagues this year. Barring trades, Smart and James Young are the only returners certain to be on the roster. The team's four draft picks will also have spots....

"Kelly won't play because Kelly is playing for the Canadian national team in Olympic qualifying in the month of August," said Ainge. "And we don't want him doing too much during the summer. We think that's too much playing if Kelly does both, so we'll keep him out."
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Summer League Thread 2015: Celtics on for Utah & Las Vegas 

Post#7 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 pm

2015 Dates look to be just about set.:
Orlando ------ July 4-10
Utah Revue - July 6-9
Las Vegas -- July 10-20
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Re: Summer League Thread 2015: Celtics on for Utah & Las Vegas 

Post#8 » by Avalanche » Tue May 12, 2015 12:12 am

Happy to see the Celtics back in the Vegas Summer League, we'll get to see even more action over the break which is nice

Hopefully we do have a few rookies to assess, even if they are guys who will play overseas/D-League in year one, we do have 4 picks right now afterall

The best thing to happen would be for Smart to come out in Summer League looking like a man among boys, which in the past has been a big signal that a young player is about to break out (although yes, there are some summer league heroes that never do anything as well)

Glad we'll have some form of Celtics basketball back in under 2 months.. one year ill time a Vegas trip with Summer League :lol:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Summer League Thread 2015: 3rd Time charm for Colton Iverson 

Post#9 » by Parliament10 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:33 pm

Third time's the charm for Colton Iverson?
Chris Forsberg | ESPNBoston.com I May 12, 2015

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4719299/third-times-the-charm-for-colton-iverson
Synergy Sports' advanced data backs that up. Iverson grades out as one of the more efficient international players while averaging 1.037 points per possession this season (85th percentile among all international players). Iverson knows where his offense comes from: More than a third of his total plays finished have come in the pick-and-roll (34.5 percent), where he's shot 66.2 percent and averaged 1.196 points per play. Another 31.1 percent of his plays finished have come on putbacks....

Iverson, who will turn 26 before the start of summer league in July, didn't put his best foot forward last summer in Orlando. He averaged 6.4 points and 2.4 rebounds per game but faded as the week went on. He's still learning defensively (ranking in the middle of the pack among all international players, according to Synergy's defensive data), and his aggression sometimes left him in early foul trouble...

Does Iverson have a chance to stick this year? It could depend on how Boston navigates in the draft and free agency. Right now, the big-man depth chart is set to return Tyler Zeller, Jared Sullinger, and Kelly Olynyk, while the team has expressed some interest in bringing back in-season acquisition Jonas Jerebko. Stevens leaned heavily on a five-man bigs rotation for much of last season, and Iverson is seemingly destined to compete for a low-cost spot at the end of the roster.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#10 » by brackdan70 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:49 pm

Depending how things go with draft and offseason moves...I don't see a roster spot for Iverson, unless he really has improved...or we trade away a bunch of picks and players. I like him as an enforcer type but we already have Olynyk to tear guys arms out of their sockets like a wookie!

Surely we will draft or sign a Center or two that contribute, so I don't see Iverson making the team unless we do some big trade where multiple guys are moved.
Sign here
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#11 » by Smitty731 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:14 pm

I can't see Iverson being on this team for the upcoming season. The Celtics just don't have the roster space for him. Zeller is already a far better version of Iverson. No need to have both of them.

In addition, I'm only really interested in Summer League to see if Smart and Young both can take over games and if whatever rookies we have look like they belong. Second year guys generally should be able to take over and dominant. Summer League isn't much more than glorified pick up ball. You can get a sense if guys belong in the league or not, but not much more than that.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#12 » by 2Mas » Wed May 13, 2015 1:48 pm

I never seen what the C's organization likes in Iverson besides playing hard (which all ppl with not a lot skill should be doing). He's kind of a scrub. & I mean that by NBA standards, not me trying guard him standards cause then he'd be a god.

Why is Smart only gonna play in 2 games? He should be playing the whole thing & playing most of the game. He had some bright spots, but let's not act like he was a stud. Lots to work on (esp at the pg spot).

Expect Young to go off, cause it's that kind of league. Pope went off last year, Jeremy Lamb the year before. Hope to see be more than just a shooter.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,581

Post#13 » by lon3lytoaster » Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm

2Mas wrote:I never seen what the C's organization likes in Iverson besides playing hard (which all ppl with not a lot skill should be doing). He's kind of a scrub. & I mean that by NBA standards, not me trying guard him standards cause then he'd be a god.

Why is Smart only gonna play in 2 games? He should be playing the whole thing & playing most of the game. He had some bright spots, but let's not act like he was a stud. Lots to work on (esp at the pg spot).

Expect Young to go off, cause it's that kind of league. Pope went off last year, Jeremy Lamb the year before. Hope to see be more than just a shooter.

The Smart/2 summer leagues thing meant he'll be playing in the Salt Lake City league and the Las Vegas league, not necessarily just two games. That'd be unlikely barring injury/trade.
2Mas
Head Coach

Post#14 » by 2Mas » Wed May 13, 2015 2:37 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
2Mas wrote:I never seen what the C's organization likes in Iverson besides playing hard (which all ppl with not a lot skill should be doing). He's kind of a scrub. & I mean that by NBA standards, not me trying guard him standards cause then he'd be a god.

The Smart/2 summer leagues thing meant he'll be playing in the Salt Lake City league and the Las Vegas league, not necessarily just two games. That'd be unlikely barring injury/trade.

Ooooh. Good. That's what I'm talking about. Get those reps man.

Thank you for the correction. I thought he said 2 games.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#15 » by jfs1000d » Wed May 13, 2015 2:42 pm

They see size. Pick setting, ability to roll to the basket and six fouls.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#16 » by Edug27 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:51 pm

Smart playing more PG.
Young getting more of a feel for the NBA game.

That's what I'm excited about.
Fidel Sarcasmo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#17 » by Fidel Sarcasmo » Wed May 13, 2015 3:02 pm

I just doubt Iverson has what it takes skills wise to play at this level. he's Euro league material. Not a bad life if the pays decent. I'd live in Europe all day if I had a job lined up for me.
laploutocratie
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,274

Post#18 » by laploutocratie » Wed May 13, 2015 3:07 pm

Could not give any less of a **** about a low-talent, low-ceiling, low-watchability player like Colton Iverson. VERY excited to see James Young and whatever young player(s) we get in the draft.
x XVII

6ixth_Man wrote:When I die, I want the Raptors to lower me into my grave, so they can let me down one last time
2Mas
Head Coach

Post#19 » by 2Mas » Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Philly's gonna be INTERESTINGGGG. If they draft Russell, man.

That Russell-Noel-Embiid core, will be a fun core to watch grow. They found some solid role players in Wroten & Covington. They'll suck this year, use their pick & the Lakers pick & others to get something good. & by 16-17, they'll be on the come up.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#20 » by GuyClinch » Wed May 13, 2015 11:16 pm

Why put Colton Iverson in this thread title - tack it down and never mention his name again. Hey if he was around in the 80s he might be as good as Greg Kite. But the 80s are over and the guy is a bum in the modern NBA.

Return to Boston Celtics