ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 1 

Post#941 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm

IO'm anxiously awaiting season 2 of the Expanse. The books are outstanding and Season 1 was pretty good too. Best sci fi in a long time. Better than game of thrones IMHO.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,058

Post#942 » by London2Boston » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Smitty731 wrote:So, I'm the last person in the world on this, but The Wire is incredible. No spoilers please, as I'm only halfway through Season 2, but man this show is good. Holds up for the most part too.

I wish I can watch that again with virgin eyes. Season 4 is my fave season of tv ever.
Pacino62
Analyst
And1: 2,436

Post#943 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:19 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:IO'm anxiously awaiting season 2 of the Expanse. The books are outstanding and Season 1 was pretty good too. Best sci fi in a long time. Better than game of thrones IMHO.

Just finished season 1 last night. Wow. What a sleeper. I agree. Way better than GOT
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#944 » by Pacino62 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:21 pm

London2Boston wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:So, I'm the last person in the world on this, but The Wire is incredible. No spoilers please, as I'm only halfway through Season 2, but man this show is good. Holds up for the most part too.

I wish I can watch that again with virgin eyes. Season 4 is my fave season of tv ever.

So many movies and tv shows I wish I could watch for the first time again.

I get so jealous when I recommend something great to someone and I know that they'll be seeing it for the first time.
“All due respect and I’m generally curious but who tf is cousin steez” ~ MagicBagley18

"i see celtics fans here are nothing but a s s holes so good bye not going to waste my time with you lowlifes." ~ HornetsFan29
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man
And1: 850

Post#945 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:26 am

Pacino62 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:IO'm anxiously awaiting season 2 of the Expanse. The books are outstanding and Season 1 was pretty good too. Best sci fi in a long time. Better than game of thrones IMHO.

Just finished season 1 last night. Wow. What a sleeper. I agree. Way better than GOT

I enjoyed season 1. I thought it moved a little slow and the look is bland but that's kind of the point I think. I like Thomas Jane's arc a lot and how the show takes itself seriously. No cheesy one liners, quips etc.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#946 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:00 am

Pacino62 wrote:Saw "Patriot's Day" today. Hell yeah!!! Haven't left a movie that inspired in a long time. Got to check it out.

Finally saw that the other day and it was rough for me. Like seriously emotional, I mean. But yeah completely agree. When I walked out, my heart was jus...full.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#947 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:42 am

Hands down the best show ever.

It's literature.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#948 » by Pacino62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:02 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:Saw "Patriot's Day" today. Hell yeah!!! Haven't left a movie that inspired in a long time. Got to check it out.

Finally saw that the other day and it was rough for me. Like seriously emotional, I mean. But yeah completely agree. When I walked out, my heart was jus...full.

This is our f$&kin' city

Pacino62
Analyst

Post#949 » by Pacino62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 am

Dannyboy36 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

I enjoyed season 1. I thought it moved a little slow and the look is bland but that's kind of the point I think. I like Thomas Jane's arc a lot and how the show takes itself seriously. No cheesy one liners, quips etc.

Yeah. I liken it to Dark City, which is one of my favorite movies of all time

peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#950 » by peachbucket » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:50 am

Pacino62 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

Wow, if your comparing it to Dark City then I'm on it.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#951 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:22 pm

peachbucket wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:

I don't exactly see the comparison but I just wanted to hop on the bandwagon because I'm a big fan of " Dark City" as well.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#952 » by Pacino62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
peachbucket wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

I don't exactly see the comparison but I just wanted to hop on the bandwagon because I'm a big fan of " Dark City" as well.

You don't see the comparisons in tone, lighting, cinematography, etc? Story line....absolutley not. Atmosphere...all day long IMO.

Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#953 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:
peachbucket wrote:

You don't see the comparisons in tone, lighting, cinematography, etc? Story line....absolutley not. Atmosphere...all day long IMO.

I'll keep my eye out! I'm a big fan of both. I really wanted to binge watch the Expanse season 1 before the premiere but they only had behind the scene shorts( which were neat).
I'm a sucker for good sci-fi. I feel like 95 percent is awful, but that 5% of sci-fi is usually some of my most favourite movies and tv shows that I rewatch.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#954 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:54 pm

I also like stories that can be grim. I'm sure this is why I enjoyed Batman v Superman so much when it's being compared to being as bad as a Madea movie or a Mortal Kombat sequel. Lol.
Pacino62
Analyst

Post#955 » by Pacino62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Dannyboy36 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:

I'll keep my eye out! I'm a big fan of both. I really wanted to binge watch the Expanse season 1 before the premiere but they only had behind the scene shorts( which were neat).
I'm a sucker for good sci-fi. I feel like 95 percent is awful, but that 5% of sci-fi is usually some of my most favourite movies and tv shows that I rewatch.

Did you see The Arrival and Ex Machina?

Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#956 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:34 pm

My favourite tv show ever was the new Battlestar Gallactica. I swear if that was on a more respected channel it would have garnered more praise.
I still think just being named SYFY , means some people will never bother to give a show airing on it a chance.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#957 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm just as bad though. I would never give a network tv show a chance anymore. I got burned over and over with shows that had no ending planned out, like "Lost" which started with so much promise, imo.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#958 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:45 pm

Pacino62 wrote:
Dannyboy36 wrote:
Pacino62 wrote:

Did you see The Arrival and Ex Machina?

No. I haven't seen Arrival. I have seen it has gotten rave reviews but after the BVS criticism I've kind of made a point of trying to never listen to a full critic again. That being said, I'll see it because I love the genre.
My brother saw Ex Machina and raved about it. Cool. Thanks. Good reminder for two flicks I'd very much like to check out.
In regards to Ex Machina, I'm already fascinated about what real world people are looking to do with artificial intelligence. Its a freaky topic the more you read , but fascinating.
Dannyboy36
Sixth Man

Post#959 » by Dannyboy36 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Ray Kurzweil is a famous futurist I like listening to. If anyone was interested, I'd recommend checking out some of his predictions. It's scary what may be down the road.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#960 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Saw both The Arrival and Ex Machina and both were tremendous. Own Dark City on Blu-Ray and remember when for ever so brief a time Alex Proyas was being bandied about helming a Batman reboot before it ever went to Christopher Nolan. Would have loved to see his ideas for that.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured

Return to Boston Celtics