ImageImageImage

Pick 28 - RJ Hunter

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Re: RE: Re: Pick 28 - RJ Hunter 

Post#321 » by KGboss » Mon Aug 1, 2016 4:42 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
bdub24 wrote:A spot-up shooter who's below average defensively. Poor draft pick.

He's a heck of a lot more than a spot up shooter. He's a high IQ guy who plays well within an offense, can handle and pass, and also can shoot. He does need to get stronger, and the consistency of his shooting will determine more than anything how much NBA burn he will get, but it's a little early to be calling a second year, 28th overall pick "a poor draft choice". I read **** like this and wonder if people actually watch basketball.

Idk about high IQ. Most of the time he just looks like a kid trying to do too much so its difficult to judge his IQ yet.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Re: Pick 28 - RJ Hunter 

Post#322 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:57 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:Um, no. You're crazy if you think anyone on this team is worse on defense than James friggin Young

Did you watch the games?

Another thing to note is D-League doesn't mean s***, Fab Melo dominated the D-League and got lit the f*** up in the NBA. Sure he may've sucked on defense in the D-League, but nobody plays defense in the D-League anyway.

His defense wasn't great or anything in the NBA games he played in but I saw some good signs...some bad ones too definitely, but his length allowed him to make some nice defensive plays.

This wasn't D-league it was Summer league. And some people do play defense, notably the guys on the successful teams.

I saw no good signs whatsoever from Humter on defense in Las Vegas. He was horrible, worse than Young, especially when you consider that he was one of the more experienced players there (and one of the oldest players--two years older than Young).
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#323 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#324 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:50 pm

I still have faith in R.J. Brad Stevens likes him, so he has that going for him when it comes down to roster spots. He didn't hit many of his shots last year, but he never looked out of place or scared, at least on the offensive end.
DK-All Day
General Manager
And1: 8,335

Post#325 » by DK-All Day » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:56 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I still have faith in R.J. Brad Stevens likes him, so he has that going for him when it comes down to roster spots. He didn't hit many of his shots last year, but he never looked out of place or scared, at least on the offensive end.

Making shots was his ticket to the NBA. If he can't do that, he's useless since he can't play defense if his life depended on it. Rooting for him by default, but my expectations are very low for him this season.
Handsome.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#326 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:03 pm

DK-All Day wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I still have faith in R.J. Brad Stevens likes him, so he has that going for him when it comes down to roster spots. He didn't hit many of his shots last year, but he never looked out of place or scared, at least on the offensive end.

Making shots was his ticket to the NBA. If he can't do that, he's useless since he can't play defense if his life depended on it. Rooting for him by default, but my expectations are very low for him this season.

True. I think being a rookie was definitely a factor. By all accounts, the kid works hard. Being in his 2nd year and spending the summer working out with Horford and Crowder will hopefully be enough to help the game slow down for him. With that being said, I also have low expectations for him. I don't think he'll even be able to steal minutes away from Gerald Green this year. So long as RJ is the reason Ainge cuts bait on James Young, I will be happy.
bdub24
Ballboy
And1: 14

Re: RE: Re: Pick 28 - RJ Hunter 

Post#327 » by bdub24 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:17 pm

KGboss wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
bdub24 wrote:A spot-up shooter who's below average defensively. Poor draft pick.

He's a heck of a lot more than a spot up shooter. He's a high IQ guy who plays well within an offense, can handle and pass, and also can shoot. He does need to get stronger, and the consistency of his shooting will determine more than anything how much NBA burn he will get, but it's a little early to be calling a second year, 28th overall pick "a poor draft choice". I read **** like this and wonder if people actually watch basketball.

Idk about high IQ. Most of the time he just looks like a kid trying to do too much so its difficult to judge his IQ yet.

Yeah.

That second post you quote is pure, unadulterated fantasy.

Hunter should be on the cusp of getting cut, after a terrible rookie year.
jrob23
Starter
And1: 791

Post#328 » by jrob23 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:43 am

Since I've joined I've had some backlash at my supposed poor judgement/opinions from the same people touting this pick as the 2nd coming. Can't make this stuff up. He's a scrub. It was a lousy pick just like 80% of Danny's picks. Thank God there are even dumber G.M.s out there bailing him out by trading him superstars or high picks. If not for that he'd have been gone long ago.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#329 » by Parliament10 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:39 am

jrob23 wrote:Since I've joined I've had some backlash at my supposed poor judgement/opinions from the same people touting this pick as the 2nd coming. Can't make this stuff up. He's a scrub. It was a lousy pick just like 80% of Danny's picks. Thank God there are even dumber G.M.s out there bailing him out by trading him superstars or high picks. If not for that he'd have been gone long ago.

Arambone!!!

How you been???
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Murta
Sixth Man
And1: 1,823

Post#330 » by Murta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:44 am

RJ Hunter to me is very similar disappointment like Nik Stauskas, albeit in a smaller range because obivously #8 vs #28 is a big difference. Both were supposed to be very good shooters who could handle the ball a little bit, make cutter plays, pass, defend at decent level, you know, be the guy to round up your rotation, maybe more.
In NBA reality, neither has proven to be nothing more than not-horrible shooter, but they're actually bad, their other skills have for one reason or another been nonexistent.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#331 » by GuyClinch » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:28 pm

He has looked impressively unathletic. Might as well bring D. West back instead..same kind of player - West was better.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#332 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 am

Read on Twitter

Hunter played just 315 minutes for the Celtics, averaging eight minutes per game in 36 contests. After the season, however, Hunter got the only votes of confidence he needed from Danny Ainge and Brad Stevens.

"Danny just told me a lot of the things he likes," Hunter said. "'You have long arms, great touch great feel, if you really want to put your mind to this, you could be as good as you want to be.' That's coming from DA. Come on. What else do I need to hear? The same with Brad, Brad's always been good about complimenting my game. ... Just what they said about what future I have and how good I can be, it was super uplifting."

Now, however, Hunter will need to prove them correct. He said he has spent a lot of time this summer in the gym ("twice a day, just trying to get extra shots and engulf myself in that grind again"). He's watching tape and working on his footwork, and it's clear from talking to him that he too sees the limitations that held back his playing time on a team that won games last year, all the way down to the most micro-level defensive adjustments.
And yes, he'll be competing against Young, one of his good friends, for the opportunities to implement what he's learned. But Hunter says the two are above that.

"It was awkward at first, because we clicked," Hunter said. "It was like, 'Oh, you like the same things I like.' And then we just became homies, because we were always on the bench, or we were always working out together. We always shot together after practice. I think we both know what's at stake, and we're grown enough to put that aside. We all have our dreams and aspirations, but it's bigger than just me against him. I think we both kind of know that."
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#333 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:00 am

Did he put on some muscle?
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#334 » by Tiny ball » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 am

I think RJ played played fairly well for a rookie. He passed the ball good, he made some nice blocks and steals. He had his head in the game most the time.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#335 » by djFan71 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:19 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:Did he put on some muscle?

If you have to ask..... :D

Does sound like he's been putting work in, though. That's the key for him. He just doesn't have the strength to get to \ keep his spots yet, esp. on D. If he can hold his own physically, he has some skills and could be a useful player.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#336 » by Smitty731 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:05 pm

http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/9/12/12865554/nba-boston-celtics-can-rj-hunter-step-up

The above link will take you to the piece I wrote on Hunter for CelticsBlog. He's got the inside track on the last roster spot, but not really all that much to do with him or his game. He needs to step up this season or he could easily be gone by this time next year.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#337 » by jmr07019 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:19 pm

I don't think there's such a thing as a disappointing pick at 28. Just posters who don't understand the standard result at pick 28.

I like Hunter above Young and Bentil. Tough to say about Demetrius Jackson. Haven't seen much of him. In the end it doesn't matter much.
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,947

Post#338 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:33 pm

Smitty731 wrote:http://www.celticsblog.com/2016/9/12/12865554/nba-boston-celtics-can-rj-hunter-step-up

The above link will take you to the piece I wrote on Hunter for CelticsBlog. He's got the inside track on the last roster spot, but not really all that much to do with him or his game. He needs to step up this season or he could easily be gone by this time next year.

Good Article.
Hunter's got to make the Step-Up, or step-off.
It's interesting how many players we have, that are on the verge of breaking out.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#339 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:20 pm

Congrats on winning the Emmy!
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#340 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 9, 2016 9:35 pm

At least for a game, RJ's decision-making, passing, and shooting were on point. We already saw glimpses of this early last season when Bradley went down and he got the bulk of his PT. His defense, like his co-sophomores, still leaves something to be desired. The battle for that last roster spot is gonna be interesting. Who is it gonna be -- Young or Hunter, Hunter or Young?! Stay tuned!

Return to Boston Celtics