ImageImageImage

Celtics missing a Paul Pierce type closer

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Re: Celtics missing a Paul Pierce type closer 

Post#41 » by exculpatory » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:36 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:You only post PP stats when he plays well. What about the two previous games when he shot 1/6 against the Pelicans or when he shot 2/10 (0-8 shooting threes) against the hornets? Why not post those game? Instead you pull out stats when he plays well and just ignore the games when he doesn't.

PP is an NBA player and yes he can have a good game (or a few good games) but he is still shooting a career low at 34% (and a second career low in three pointers at 31%) and a career low in points which is 5.5 PPG.

So yes I still believe PP as we know it is toast.

Spin away, Joe.

1. He has started 8 games after Xmas since Griffin went down. In my post today, I noted that he regressed in the 2 games you mentioned. And totally excelled in the other 6 games - 6 is more than a few. And then I very fairly & objectively quoted his stats for ALL 8 of those games - and they are freaking outstanding for a 38 year old playing 20 minutes per game.
2. His numbers for the entire season obviously still are terrible, because they also reflect the 28 games prior to Xmas when he was A) NOT playing with the starters (rather with awful distributors & ball hogs like Austin Rivers/Jamal Crawford), B) playing only ~10 minutes per game, & C) trying to get his 38 year old engine running.
3. Is he the prime or early post prime HOF Super Star stud that we once watched. Hell no. And at age 38, if he still was, it would be completely miraculous & unheard of. Age always wins - Paul Pierce or Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant. Has he, for the most part, once again flipped the switch & become an extremely valuable/essential, typically clutch rotation player for the Clips (just as he was for the Nets at age 36 & the Wiz at age 37). HELL YES! Has he become "toast"? ****, NO.

I guess you do not want to let my GF & I buy you & your wife a drink on 2/10. No worries. If you change your mind, please let me know. Have a nice day, Joey!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#42 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:58 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/689609843901087744[/tweet]
Recorded the first thevertical podcast. I think you'll like the debut episode guest https://www.instagram.com/p/BAvcHOfwXiz/
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#43 » by exculpatory » Mon Feb 8, 2016 11:59 pm

Well folks, Wednesday may be the last time we see Paul Pierce at the Garden.
Doc is resting him tonight VS Philly.
Horrible year to date: 5.7 ppg on 34% & 31% in 17 mpg.
He has only scored >10 points in 11 out of 47 games & >20 points once.
I thought for awhile he was awakening after Griffin went down around Xmas, & he began starting at the 4. He had an excellent run for ~10 games. 11 PPG on 43% from 3 & TS% 59%, & 5-6 RPG in ~20 mpg.
However, that run has proved to be evanescent.
During the 19 games he has started since Griffin went down (a greater sample size), his numbers have been less than mediocre. 8.1 PPG on 38% overall, 36% from 3, TS% 51%, & 3.8 RPG in ~20 mpg.
If he continues this pace during the remaining 30 games in the RS, he has a shot at passing the great Hondo Havlicek's 26,395 points & retiring this spring #15 All Time!
After his excellent/clutch play for the Wizards (especially during the 2015 POs) at age 37 & the Nets at age 36, I was hoping for something similar this year for the Clippers. Realistically, that certainly is not happening at age 38. However, I remain optimistic that he will give us a few more special games & clutch shots (especially during the POs).

The immediate question is this:

Should I fly to Boston on Wed to hear the Garden roar for Paul one last time, perhaps see him score 10-15 points, while simultaneously rooting for this new bunch of gritty, resurgent, Keltic mother **** to win the game? What do you think?
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#44 » by canman1971 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 12:04 am

exculpatory wrote:Well folks, Wednesday may be the last time we see Paul Pierce at the Garden.
I thought for awhile he was awakening after Griffin went down around Xmas, & he began starting at the 4. He had an excellent run for ~10 games. 11 PPG on 43% from 3 & TS% 59%, AND 5-6 RPG in ~20 mpg.
During the 19 games he has started since Griffin went down (a greater sample size), his numbers have been less than mediocre. 8.1 PPG on 38% overall, 36% from 3, TS% , & 3.8 RPG in ~20 mpg.
If he continues this pace during the remaining 30 games in the RS, he has a shot at passing the great Hondo Havlicek's 26,395 points & retiring this spring #15 All Time!
After his excellent/clutch play for the Wizards (especially during the 2015 POs) at age 37 & the Nets at age 36, I was hoping for something similar this year for the Clippers. Realistically, that certainly is not happening at age 38. However, I remain optimistic that he will give us a few more special games & clutch shots (especially during the POs).

Should I fly to Boston on Wed to hear the Garden roar for Paul one last time, perhaps see him score 10-15 points, while simultaneously rooting for this new bunch of gritty, resurgent, Keltic mother **** to win the game? What do you think?

Your passion and love for PP is unmatched. I think you should definitely go. Not even a question if you are able.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#45 » by exculpatory » Tue Feb 9, 2016 12:11 am

canman1971 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:Well folks, Wednesday may be the last time we see Paul Pierce at the Garden.
I thought for awhile he was awakening after Griffin went down around Xmas, & he began starting at the 4. He had an excellent run for ~10 games. 11 PPG on 43% from 3 & TS% 59%, & 5-6 RPG in ~20 mpg.
During the 19 games he has started since Griffin went down (a greater sample size), his numbers have been less than mediocre. 8.1 PPG on 38% overall, 36% from 3, TS% 51%, & 3.8 RPG in ~20 mpg.

Your passion and love for PP is unmatched. I think you should definitely go. Not even a question if you are able.

I am leaning that way, Can. I have already cleared my schedule at the hospital. Is there a freaking blizzard hitting Boston tonight?
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#46 » by canman1971 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 12:13 am

exculpatory wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

Where I am it's not too bad. But I think Mass is getting more. It's very light fluffy stuff.

I am leaning that way, Can. I have already cleared my schedule at the hospital. Is there a freaking blizzard hitting Boston tonight?
dixielott02
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#47 » by dixielott02 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 10:10 am

Simple answer, yes. I'm 26 and I didnt move to America until I was about 8, so I never had the privilege of being a Celtics fan with the likes of Bird, McHale, etc. PP was the rock and the face of the organization, and stuck through here even we were absolutely terrible. He got his just reward in the end by winning the championship and solidified why he was such an influence on my love for Celtics bball. Im gutted I can't be there, but im sure theres enough people there roar and to respect what he did for this organization
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,696

Post#48 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Tue Feb 9, 2016 1:36 pm

It will be nice to see PP at the garden one more time. Sucks he could not finish his career with Boston but sentiments aside the nets first round pick is better for the franchise. PP was solid last year so I understand why he wanted to keep playing. The reality is PP is done and this year is the year PP has started to hang around too long.

PP had an amazing career and has brought us Celtics fans years of memories. Hopefully he hangs it up and does not go on the long list of once great NBA players like Mourning, Ewing, T-Mac, Jordan and Shaq that hung on long enough to become shells of themselves.
*Insert witty signature here.*
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#49 » by exculpatory » Tue Feb 9, 2016 1:57 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:It will be nice to see PP at the garden one more time. Sucks he could not finish his career with Boston but sentiments aside the nets first round pick is better for the franchise. PP was solid last year so I understand why he wanted to keep playing. The reality is PP is done and this year is the year PP has started to hang around too long.

PP had an amazing career and has brought us Celtics fans years of memories. Hopefully he hangs it up and does not go on the long list of once great NBA players like Mourning, Ewing, T-Mac, Jordan and Shaq that hung on long enough to become shells of themselves.

Although Paul had an excellent run for about 10 games after Xmas (see details in my post yesterday), overall, the quality of his play this season at age 38 has very significantly diminished. And, amazingly, for the first time in almost 10 years, I have to agree with Joey. Unless he dramatically turns it around during the last 30 games of the RS & the POs, he absolutely should retire this spring. During some games this season, it has been literally painful to watch one of the most versatile scorers in NBA history & arguably the most versatile scorer in Celtic history. He mostly spots up from 3, only occasionally shoots the step back J, & almost never goes to the hoop.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#50 » by old rem » Tue Feb 9, 2016 8:55 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Offer Tyler Zeller and Terry Rozier to the Clippers for Pierce.
Okay....is that satire or what? Celts have a nice BASE and no "MONEY" ace. The good news.. they got a good salary situation and PICKS. Boston has no LeBron ( that don't grow on trees) but Boston CAN be major off ONE good add. I see ideas where Boston gets TOO hasty... does a BAD deal to....DO SOMETHING. Hey.....NEVER get desperate. :noway: :noway: You get 3/4 up the mountain... the thing is to keep climbing up...do NOT fall and regress. I am a GSW guy... but I had been into BASKETBALL going back to Cousy. This Celtics can get good.
CENSORED... No comment.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#51 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Feb 9, 2016 9:08 pm

tobias harris?
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#52 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:28 am

Zmill wrote:tobias harris?

Yes, he exists.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#53 » by exculpatory » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:22 pm

canman1971 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

Where I am it's not too bad. But I think Mass is getting more. It's very light fluffy stuff.

On plane from DC to Logan. :0)

Will be at my hotel near Tufts/Chinatown around 4:30.
Plan to arrive at the Garden around 6:30. Got great seats.
Anyone interested in a quick drink before 6:30 or after the game, please let me know.
I am inviting any rabid Celtic fan - but especially the dudes I have been interacting with here since 2004! Come on, Matt! Come on, Joey. Once in a lifetime chance to meet the infamous Ex. LOL.
Hoping for a Celtic win, BUT also obviously a decent showing by the Truth (which only happens about every 4 games during this disappointing season). I know I will be amongst the 20K screaming & roaring when he is introduced for probably the last time in Boston.

Ex/Rob
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#54 » by SMTBSI » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 pm

I was thinking the other day, you know who would be a really good fit for this team as currently constructed? A KG.

Or, a Pierce too.

Or, for that matter, a Ray Allen.

Crap. I need to let go.

Wish I could have been back home for this one. Enjoy the game, Ex.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,101

Post#55 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:38 am

Looks like the Clips do too! Hahahahahahahaa
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#56 » by Tenbomber » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Hey you guys....Guess what?

We have a Paul Pierce type closer.....His name is Evan Turner......
timpiker
Senior
And1: 428

Post#57 » by timpiker » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Missing a crunch time scorer like PP? No **** Sherlock.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#58 » by bigdavid » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:23 pm

We have a new closer called Evan Turner
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#59 » by exculpatory » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:31 am

Just posted this in GT - belongs here also.

darrendaye wrote:Hopefully Ex made the game and got to see that one.

I did. Thanks DD. :0)

Got back from whirlwind 24 hours this afternoon - $1200 poorer, but WTF!

I will remember:

1) Me taping Truth making 6 straight 3s in warm-ups.
2) Truth smiling & chatting up 50 "old friends" & hugging Mike & Tommy.
3) 2 threes in the first few minutes of the game - at that point, I thought we were going to get the 10-15 point game he squeezes out once every 4 games. But that did not happen. :0(.
4) 3/4 court shot he made just after the half time buzzer.
5) HUGE ovation when he was introduced.

I will forget:
1) Missed 3 to tie the game at the end of OT - would have been a fitting "ending" for his last game in Boston - yet another mega-clutch Truth basket in the last minute of a game.
2) That he only played about 2 minutes in Q4 & OT because Doc has his head so far up his ass he could bite off a polyp in his cecum.

PS Amazing W for this never give up, gritty, mother **** team! The midget was truly amazing - he can really ball. And ET pretended he was Paul Pierce tonight.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#60 » by exculpatory » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:44 pm

Paul Pierce's hopefully final season ended last night.

After a 15 year first ballot HOF career with the Celtics, Paul played excellent & extremely efficient seasons for the Nets & the Wizards (albeit in lesser minutes) at ages 36-37. He was beyond MEGA-clutch for the Wizards in the 2015 POs shooting an unworldly 52% from 3 with a TS% of 68% - literally off the **** charts numbers.

I therefore reasonably thought he could provide the Clippers with valuable support this season - especially in the POs.

Instead, at age 38, his RS numbers dropped off a **** cliff & were by light years the worst in his career. And his PO contribution was literally non-existent. When Blake & CP went down in Game 4, he had one last chance to show a glimmer of even last season's Paul Pierce & nothing - zero. Father Time decided to precipitously bring the curtain down at age 38 - and that was the end of that.

From his biggest fan:

1. Paul needs to gracefully retire RIGHT NOW as the 16th leading scorer in NBA history (26,316 - 79 points behind the great John Havlicek), 4th in 3 point shots made (2128), 8th in FT made (6908), as one of THREE players in NBA history with >26K points, >>7000 rebounds, >>4000 assists & >>1500 steals with 7479 rebounds (top 40 in DRs)/4698 assists (top 70)/1748 steals (top 20), as one of the most clutch players of his generation, as a 10 time All Star, as a 4 time All Pro (& should have been twice as much), as the 2007-2008 Finals MVP (that team should have won at least 2 more banners), & as a Top 3-5 Celtic legend.
2. He should return to Boston as a special assistant to mentor their young wings.
3. I will be there when they retire his jersey next year & 20K fans bring down the roof of the Garden, & I will be there at his HOF ceremony in a few years.

Return to Boston Celtics