ImageImageImage

Why Can't Kevin Durant to Boston Be a Real Possibility? Merge

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Re: Why Can't Kevin Durant to Boston Be a Real Possibility? 

Post#861 » by soxfan2003 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:25 am

Edug27 wrote:
BannersOnly wrote:Any of you still think Durant will sign here to play with our ham and eggers????

It was never realistic. Not for a second. Even if OKC loses to SA.. KD wasn't coming here.

We never know what would have happened but I tend to disagree with you since I thought there WAS a legit chance even if it was always below let's say 25%. I would think how OKC lost to the Spurs and how much KD was criticized for it would have a huge impact. And I also think if it wasn't for the Lakers/Clippers, KD would have headed to the EC and I don't think he was going to Miami/WAS so that leaves Boston as a huge possibility by process of elimination. (Like it or not Toronto could have been a sleeper team as well since he would have been a huge star in Canada.)

But thanks to the playoffs this year, it sure looks like KD isn't going anywhere after this season at least. It is just a question of how long of a deal that he signs with them. And whether he does any visits just for fun to communicate with other team about whether he will consider a move after the 2016-17 season.

The other bad news for the Celtics right now is even if he leaves OKC after next year which I wouldn't bet on given that OKC now has an excellent title shot, good chance he goes to a team with brighter prospects than Boston. I mean after next year, Smart/IT/Bradley are just signed to 1 year deals and KO is a FA and as of right now Rozier is the best young player on the team not named Smart.

Hypothetically if Westbrook bolted for the Lakers but KD didn't want to go there, I could see KD even choosing a team like Philly if they somehow look better than expected after this season. I wouldn't bet on this but if Philly wins in an Okafor deal and get a couple more high picks next year, they could be great going forward. If MN had a better climate, I could even seeing him bolt to the Wolves if they hit on their pick this year and their young core makes good progress.

And after next year, if LA Lakers draft well, maybe KD and Westbrook both to the Lakers. That would suck even more than both of them joining the 76ers. At this point, I don't even hate the 76ers other than what _some_ of their owners did to Hinkie.

But the one thing I think 99% of Celtics fans can agree on right now, it would take a miracle or getting KD and his agent drunk for him to leave OKC after this season.

I don't expect him to go anywhere even if OKC loses to the Cavs/Raptors in the finals.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#862 » by 165bows » Wed May 25, 2016 1:41 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
BannersOnly wrote:Any of you still think Durant will sign here to play with our ham and eggers????

It was never realistic. Not for a second. Even if OKC loses to SA.. KD wasn't coming here.

We never know what would have happened but I tend to disagree with you since I thought there WAS a legit chance even if it was always below let's say 25%. I would think how OKC lost to the Spurs and how much KD was criticized for it would have a huge impact. And I also think if it wasn't for the Lakers/Clippers, KD would have headed to the EC and I don't think he was going to Miami/WAS so that leaves Boston as a huge possibility by process of elimination. (Like it or not Toronto could have been a sleeper team as well since he would have been a huge star in Canada.)

But thanks to the playoffs this year, it sure looks like KD isn't going anywhere after this season at least. It is just a question of how long of a deal that he signs with them. And whether he does any visits just for fun to communicate with other team about whether he will consider a move after the 2016-17 season.

The other bad news for the Celtics right now is even if he leaves OKC after next year which I wouldn't bet on given that OKC now has an excellent title shot, good chance he goes to a team with brighter prospects than Boston. I mean after next year, Smart/IT/Bradley are just signed to 1 year deals and KO is a FA and as of right now Rozier is the best young player on the team not named Smart.

Hypothetically if Westbrook bolted for the Lakers but KD didn't want to go there, I could see KD even choosing a team like Philly if they somehow look better than expected after this season. I wouldn't bet on this but if Philly wins in an Okafor deal and get a couple more high picks next year, they could be great going forward. If MN had a better climate, I could even seeing him bolt to the Wolves if they hit on their pick this year and their young core makes good progress.

And after next year, if LA Lakers draft well, maybe KD and Westbrook both to the Lakers. That would suck even more than both of them joining the 76ers. At this point, I don't even hate the 76ers other than what _some_ of their owners did to Hinkie.

But the one thing I think 99% of Celtics fans can agree on right now, it would take a miracle or getting KD and his agent drunk for him to leave OKC after this season.

I don't expect him to go anywhere even if OKC loses to the Cavs/Raptors in the finals.

Doesn't matter plenty of people said there was absolutely zero shot at trading for Kevin Love two summers ago. Then turns out they were very close and it took two unlikely events in Cleveland to wipe that shot out.

Memphis and Clippers had bad injury luck and paved the way, easily could have happened to OKC and everyone would be saying he's leaving.

I was up front in 2013 about Durant being option 1 to plan on pursuing and tons of people said no if he ever comes east it is to Washington. They clearly passed up WAS which was supposed to never happen but that's the thing about building a great team it isn't easy you have to work at it.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#863 » by Edug27 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 pm

soxfan2003 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

KD barely gets criticized compared to other players. He could have choked in the Spurs series and we'd all be focusing on Westbrook. He's not Lebron or Melo in this area. He's more Chris Paul. Also, our supporting cast has always been overhyped by the fanbase here. It's not nearly as attractive as some think. Our situation is more attractive to other GM's than it is other free agents.

But I agree... I think KD resigns for a year and then him and Westbrook figure it out next summer.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#864 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat May 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Sorry, slow news day...
[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNBoston/status/736586838681354241[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/736587250532651008[/tweet]
Spoiler:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9gKyRmic20[/youtube]
Hey Warriors...
Don't let them win
Hey now, Hey now

Hey now, Hey now

Hey now, Hey now
Don't let them win
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
And1: 14,436

Post#865 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun May 29, 2016 4:04 am

OKC lost and the odds are now stacked against them.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!
Marvel
RealGM
And1: 14,287

Post#866 » by Marvel » Sun May 29, 2016 4:39 am

Brad wouldn't dare let KD run that iso crap here that's for sure.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,673

Post#867 » by The Corey's » Sun May 29, 2016 4:40 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:OKC lost and the odds are now stacked against them.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

What's happening?

If Durant didn't suck tonight the thunder would be in right now.

Westbrooks choke job at the end didn't help either.

This is what separates championship talent from all star talent.

Okc should be ashamed to blow a 3 to 1 lead and a 10 point fourth quarter lead at home.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,303

Post#868 » by Tyakack » Sun May 29, 2016 4:45 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:OKC lost and the odds are now stacked against them.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

You say that like the odds aren't stacked against us with regards of him coming here.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#869 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun May 29, 2016 4:53 am

The Corey's wrote:What's happening?

Okc should be ashamed to blow a 3 to 1 lead and a 10 point fourth quarter lead at home.

Tyakack wrote:You say that like the odds aren't stacked against us with regards of him coming here.

I'll just tell you guys what didn't happen instead.
A few guys didn't get the joke. :(
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,673

Post#870 » by The Corey's » Sun May 29, 2016 5:10 am

GreenBloodedC wrote:
The Corey's wrote:What's happening?

Tyakack wrote:You say that like the odds aren't stacked against us with regards of him coming here.

I'll just tell you guys what didn't happen instead.
A few guys didn't get the joke. :(

Oh I got it. Just too pissed at the thunder for blowing the game.
GreenBloodedC
RealGM

Post#871 » by GreenBloodedC » Sun May 29, 2016 10:27 am

The Corey's wrote:
Oh I got it. Just too pissed at the thunder for blowing the game.

Yup. KD and Westbrook crapped all over the place to end the 4th. No other way to put it. This was their chance, and odds would definitely not be in their favor come game 7.
emkeyfour
Junior
And1: 126

If OKC loses game 7 will KD leave ? 

Post#872 » by emkeyfour » Sun May 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Let's be somewhat honest here. KD is a franchise player but still not on the same level as LeBron. He was the reason they lost game 6. Guy choked plain and simple. That was GAME 7 for them and I don't see them winning tomorrow night. If they lose, what happens to OKC and KD ? If he joins Boston, and Ainge gets another good player (Jommy Butler), Blake Griffin or some other stud I think Boston has good chance beating Cleveland and going to the finals.

He should know that unless he joins Spurs or Warriors, he will not come out of the West and go to finals. He joins Boston, and it's a 98% ticket to the finals.

Watching that OKC team is nothing special imo. Westbrook carried that team to where they are not Durant. I just think he would find more success in Boston as a primary weapon and he can call this team his own. Ainge needs to get to work and go nuts trying to get him.

What is the point of staying in OKC now ? If he stays one more year he will make more $$$ but seems like he is not about the money.

If he leaves two teams that will get him is either Spurs or Boston. BOOK IT
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Re: If OKC loses game 7 will KD leave ? 

Post#873 » by Homerclease » Sun May 29, 2016 11:12 pm

emkeyfour wrote:Let's be somewhat honest here. KD is a franchise player but still not on the same level as LeBron. He was the reason they lost game 6. Guy choked plain and simple. That was GAME 7 for them and I don't see them winning tomorrow night. If they lose, what happens to OKC and KD ? If he joins Boston, and Ainge gets another good player (Jommy Butler), Blake Griffin or some other stud I think Boston has good chance beating Cleveland and going to the finals.

He should know that unless he joins Spurs or Warriors, he will not come out of the West and go to finals. He joins Boston, and it's a 98% ticket to the finals.

Watching that OKC team is nothing special imo. Westbrook carried that team to where they are not Durant. I just think he would find more success in Boston as a primary weapon and he can call this team his own. Ainge needs to get to work and go nuts trying to get him.

What is the point of staying in OKC now ? If he stays one more year he will make more $$$ but seems like he is not about the money.

If he leaves two teams that will get him is either Spurs or Boston. BOOK IT

I'd say there's about a 5% chance of that happening.
emkeyfour
Junior
And1: 126

Post#874 » by emkeyfour » Sun May 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Mind elaborating as to why ?
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#875 » by Homerclease » Sun May 29, 2016 11:57 pm

emkeyfour wrote:Mind elaborating as to why ?

Because he can win the title in OKC. They've proven they can handle the Spurs, they've taken this years warriors to 7 games and next years warriors team will be strip mined by free agency. Harrison Barnes is gone, likely Festus too and there's a chance Iggy won't be there either. His best bet is to sign a 1+1 and see what Westbrook does after 2017.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#876 » by vct33 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:01 am

I think they did enough this postseason to keep him.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
illmatic24
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,027

Post#877 » by illmatic24 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 am

No. They came close enough that KD is probably convinced they might be able to win it all within the next few years. Or at least that he'll have a better shot in OKC where he's comfortable than he will elsewhere.

I don't think they're going to win a championship with their current roster anytime soon but I'm sure he views it differently.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#878 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 am

Homerclease wrote:

Because he can win the title in OKC. They've proven they can handle the Spurs, they've taken this years warriors to 7 games and next years warriors team will be strip mined by free agency. Harrison Barnes is gone, likely Festus too and there's a chance Iggy won't be there either. His best bet is to sign a 1+1 and see what Westbrook does after 2017.

Agree on KD, but that's not really true on Barnes and Festus.

They may choose not to match big offers to them, but both are RFAs. They'd also have big cap room if they don't match Barnes, and could use it while still retaining Ezeli due to his low cap number.
Luicampos12
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#879 » by Luicampos12 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 am

If we land Griffin or George we would still have a very small chance of landing him.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#880 » by Homerclease » Mon May 30, 2016 12:31 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

Agree on KD, but that's not really true on Barnes and Festus.

They may choose not to match big offers to them, but both are RFAs. They'd also have big cap room if they don't match Barnes, and could use it while still retaining Ezeli due to his low cap number.

Do you think that they are going to match offers on either? I know how you feel about Barnes and I have a hard time believing that they would match an offer for Festus for what he's likely going to receive. Can they afford to pay 10+ million for a backup center?

Return to Boston Celtics