ImageImageImage

The Official Off-Season Thread, part I of many

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Re: The Official Off-Season Thread, part I of many 

Post#801 » by BakersDozen » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:59 pm

So we can basically bring back all our free agents(minus Turner) and have the room to being in one max player(if im reading that right) well thats comforting

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#802 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Afam wrote:Celtics are not the second best team in the east. It still the Cavs and the Raptors. Maybe the Pacers. I put the Celtics around 4 or 5.

I disagree. Cavs and likely raptors, but I think by end of summer with even decent signings we can be 3 and push Toronto. If we get Horford, and only Horford, we are probably No. 2 in East.

We ain't that far away.

Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#803 » by Crossy2008 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:51 pm

This is a big offseason for Smart. He is a seemingly intelligent person who shows a good amount of focus. In his first two seasons he has put up a lot of poor quality shots, and he needs to focus on being more efficient. The key with Smart is that he doesn't have to be a number one, two, or maybe even three offensive option on a team to be a great player. He has an enormous impact on defense, and he makes so many positive plays. He needs to focus on getting in the paint, and moving the ball more.

I think he is going to take a Olynyk style of shooting three pointers next season. If he is wide open he will take them, but if someone comes remotely close to him he will pump fake and drive. I would love it if he worked with IT on driving to the basket, and he learned how to use his body to create space down low. I love Smart's determination, and that he really wants to be great. Hopefully this is the point in his career where everything really slows down for him, and he stops trying to force his offense.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#804 » by djFan71 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:59 pm

Crossy2008 wrote:This is a big offseason for Smart. He is a seemingly intelligent person who shows a good amount of focus. In his first two seasons he has put up a lot of poor quality shots, and he needs to focus on being more efficient. The key with Smart is that he doesn't have to be a number one, two, or maybe even three offensive option on a team to be a great player. He has an enormous impact on defense, and he makes so many positive plays. He needs to focus on getting in the paint, and moving the ball more.

I think he is going to take a Olynyk style of shooting three pointers next season. If he is wide open he will take them, but if someone comes remotely close to him he will pump fake and drive. I would love it if he worked with IT on driving to the basket, and he learned how to use his body to create space down low. I love Smart's determination, and that he really wants to be great. Hopefully this is the point in his career where everything really slows down for him, and he stops trying to force his offense.

Hope he can stay healthy for a whole year too. He'd show flashes of getting somewhere, then get injured. Come back, take longer than you'd hope to get back on track, then get injured again.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#805 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:33 pm

BakersDozen wrote:So we can basically bring back all our free agents(minus Turner) and have the room to being in one max player(if im reading that right) well thats comforting

Sully, Zeller and ET are all gone they won't be back.

Let's see, Yabusele at $1.5 million or Sully at $8-10 million. I think that is an easy choice.

Yabusele as Sully's replacement is last choice. Ainge will be active for big men not named Sullinger and Zeller.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#806 » by KumaJG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:04 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
BakersDozen wrote:So we can basically bring back all our free agents(minus Turner) and have the room to being in one max player(if im reading that right) well thats comforting

Let's see, Yabusele at $1.5 million or Sully at $8-10 million. I think that is an easy choice.

Yabusele as Sully's replacement is last choice. Ainge will be active for big men not named Sullinger and Zeller.

We should just like Sully and Zelly and like our international replacements get some burn. Seem like an easy choice to me.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#807 » by Bohemian » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:36 pm

So, Danny needs to be at Durant´s door while half of the Celtics staff must go pay a visit to Horford. We need to try our hardest to get Horford first. I think I´ve read somewhere that AL had interest in us previously...am I wrong?
Crossy2008
Sixth Man
And1: 1,163

Post#808 » by Crossy2008 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:50 am

Bohemian wrote:So, Danny needs to be at Durant´s door while half of the Celtics staff must go pay a visit to Horford. We need to try our hardest to get Horford first. I think I´ve read somewhere that AL had interest in us previously...am I wrong?

He said something about playing somewhere with a strong Dominican population. Boston certainly has that. Not sure how impressed he is with our team after beating us, but adding him and Durant plus the rooks might be a decent situation for him.

Problem here is Horford alone isn't a great move for us, I think. Adding him as a precursor to adding Durant is great. Seemed like last year Phoenix had this type of move in mind when they signed Chandler and it fell through, so I would be a little concerned about just getting Horford. Maybe I am wrong and Horford would be great even if we just got him.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#809 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:58 am

Chart was misleading in the sense that it was just cap holds for Sully and Zeller. We'd still have to match offers on those guys, and... umm... no thanks on that.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,423

Post#810 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:01 am

Celts17Pride wrote:

Yabusele is a likely stash, I think. Still wouldn't resign Sully lol.
BakersDozen
General Manager
And1: 728

Post#811 » by BakersDozen » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:12 am

How bad is Parsons injury issues? I think id prefer him to say someone like Barnes.

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#812 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:52 pm

The chart shows the amount of cap space we can use on FAs other than our own depending on whether we renounce/release our own players or not. The figures only account for Sully and Zeller's cap holds, not the actual salary we have to pay to retain them.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,161

Post#813 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:35 pm

CrowderKeg wrote:

The chart shows the amount of cap space we can use on FAs other than our own depending on whether we renounce/release our own players or not. The figures only account for Sully and Zeller's cap holds, not the actual salary we have to pay to retain them.

I'll be absolutely shocked if anybody gives Sullinger or Zeller anything more than a vet min contract. Both guys are just flat out ****. Zeller shouldn't even be in the league.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#814 » by TA42 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:42 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
CrowderKeg wrote:

I'll be absolutely shocked if anybody gives Sullinger or Zeller anything more than a vet min contract. Both guys are just flat out ****. Zeller shouldn't even be in the league.

I think we are all going to be shocked by just how much the Zeller's of the league get. There are going to be a lot of teams left alone at the dance once the big free agents sign. At that point it'll be landslide of head scratching contracts being given out.

Welcome to the new NBA salary cap!
Cornbread
Senior
And1: 623

Post#815 » by Cornbread » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm

I'll put my neck out there and predict Zeller gets something like $7M AAV and Sully gets $12M AAV.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,161

Post#816 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:36 pm

Cornbread wrote:I'll put my neck out there and predict Zeller gets something like $7M AAV and Sully gets $12M AAV.

Good gosh that would be awful. What would Evan Turner get then? 20 mil per?
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#817 » by KumaJG » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:46 pm

Smart shot mechanics ****, I have no faith in his learning on how to shoot consistently
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#818 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:53 pm

So if they max Horford, but don't bring back Turner, Sully, Zeller and Johnson, and whiff on other big name free agents, is this a 50 win team?
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Post#819 » by Marley2Hendrix » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:59 pm

CelticFaninLBC wrote:So if they max Horford, but don't bring back Turner, Sully, Zeller and Johnson, and whiff on other big name free agents, is this a 50 win team?

I would believe so.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 2,991

Post#820 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:12 pm

Marley2Hendrix wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:So if they max Horford, but don't bring back Turner, Sully, Zeller and Johnson, and whiff on other big name free agents, is this a 50 win team?

I would believe so.

Assuming they bring back Jerebko, and he starts @ the 4, the bench is Olynyk, Mickey, Brown, Smart, Hunter and Rozier. They'll need a bring jump from Smart and Rozier to push beyond 50 wins. I guess they could bring back AJ on a larger 1 & 1 deal, if they don't trust Mickey.

Return to Boston Celtics