ImageImageImage

All Things 2017 Draft

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Re: All Things 2017 Draft 

Post#1561 » by brackdan70 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Just a random question: how many guys are there in the league that you would trade the #1 pick for; what about #2, 3 or 4?

i personally feel like top 4 has similar value in this draft with Fultz and number one having a slight bit more.

The question is hypothetical because the Cs would have to add other assets to match Salary for most top players, but if some how that was not the case I would easily trade the Pick for
Towns, Greek Freak, Davis, Porzingas, K. Leonard, LBJ, Westbrook, Durrant, Gobert

Probably for Paul George, Curry, Draymond Green, Jokic, Butler, Harden, Lilliard.
I think Griffin and Hayward approach the Value of the pick as well but they are FAs.

Wiggins perhaps for 2-4, but not #1.

so yeah maybe 15-20 guys in the league.
Sign here
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Re: '17 Draft Thread 3.0 

Post#1562 » by TheMartian » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Patsfan81 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:My dream draft right now is probably getting Fultz 1, picking up Tatum with a mid-lotto pick (Crowder to MIN?), and somehow getting Giles, too.

Given the makeup of our roster, slipping to 3 or 4 and taking Tatum can work, too.

Think Giles can have a Myles Turner like recovery. If he'd been healthy, he'd probably be tier zero in this draft, head and shoulders above everyone else. No three-pointer, but blocks shots, boards, and scores. He showed glimpses at Duke, but was still physically tentative. Question of what you have to deal to get a pick to take him, and of who else is looking at him. But he is huge, huge wild card not to be underestimated.

Giles will NEVER be the same player. Two ACL's injuries and having arthroscopy surgery this year at Duke will kill anyone's confidence. Even when he did get his minutes this year for Duke he didn't impress me at all. He's the classic "If not for the injuries" type of player like Oden and many others. The guy is cooked.

Also, Turner's "injury" was no way close to what Giles has endured. He was just born with a condition that affected his hips due to his growth and size - not an injury.

You're right, Turner was coming from a different place - I meant recovery of upside after draft stock dipped. I've mentioned Leon Powe, too - I just don't know how "cooked" Giles is. He's not Oden, yet. But ACL tears aren't the definite career enders they used to be, it's just a long recovery time. Add knee surgery to the mix, and at a time when a healthy Giles would be growing his game, and it's a tough equation.

Tough to say without more medical info, but he didn't look done at Duke to me. The rebounding, blocks and post skills are still there, he just looked tentative physically and mentally overwhelmed. If he gets his hops back, is confident he can jump and land without getting hurt, he just has to get used to the speed and complexity of the game mentally. Skills are there. His per minute stats, fwiw, were not bad.

This is why I really want to trade for another pick to take a flyer on Giles. The rewards could definitely far outweigh the risks.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Re: 2017 Draft Lottery: To Be or Not to Be? 

Post#1563 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Almeida wrote:
LonZoBallin wrote:If your pick falls to #3, Fultz and Jackson go top 2, who do you pick?

If this was the case would you be willing to trade #3 overall for Derozan?

Definitely not. Draft Ball.

Easy Jayson Tatum.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1564 » by Andrew McCeltic » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:23 am

brackdan70 wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:Just a random question: how many guys are there in the league that you would trade the #1 pick for; what about #2, 3 or 4?

i personally feel like top 4 has similar value in this draft with Fultz and number one having a slight bit more.

The question is hypothetical because the Cs would have to add other assets to match Salary for most top players, but if some how that was not the case I would easily trade the Pick for
Towns, Greek Freak, Davis, Porzingas, K. Leonard, LBJ, Westbrook, Durrant, Gobert

Probably for Paul George, Curry, Draymond Green, Jokic, Butler, Harden, Lilliard.
I think Griffin and Hayward approach the Value of the pick as well but they are FAs.

Right, a lot of guys aren't available - 1 for Kawhi? Sure - some, like Anthony Davis, would take more than the BKN 17 - and there are always ways to trade out or down with mixed value -

I'd deal 1 for George, but I don't think I'd add to it - Bradley/Zeller/Smart/Brown.

2-4 I'd deal for Butler, Wiggins, Porzingis, Drummond/DET pick. Possibly John Wall.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,401

Post#1565 » by threrf23 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:05 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Right, a lot of guys aren't available - 1 for Kawhi? Sure - some, like Anthony Davis, would take more than the BKN 17 - and there are always ways to trade out or down with mixed value -

I'd deal 1 for George, but I don't think I'd add to it - Bradley/Zeller/Smart/Brown.

2-4 I'd deal for Butler, Wiggins, Porzingis, Drummond/DET pick. Possibly John Wall.

Obvious names aside, I think I would trade our pick for Ben Simmons and Furkan Korkmaz.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#1566 » by reload141 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:15 am

You don't need the 2017 pick to get Drummond.
BeanTownBrawler
Veteran
And1: 121

Post#1567 » by BeanTownBrawler » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:58 am

"I have conflicted feelings right now. I mean its great and all, and no way I'd change it, but does anyone else kinda feel that we got luckier than we deserved to get? It almost feels like we're the benefactor of some NBA conspiracy."
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#1568 » by Tiny ball » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:28 am

threrf23 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

2-4 I'd deal for Butler, Wiggins, Porzingis, Drummond/ pick. Possibly John Wall.

Obvious names aside, I think I would trade our pick for Ben Simmons and Furkan Korkmaz.

No way.
GoodVibezin
Pro Prospect
And1: 51

Post#1569 » by GoodVibezin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:59 pm

Many players are worth the first pick, but who's the best fit? I say the Greek Freak makes us a championship caliber team.

IT, Bradley, Crowder, Ante, Al

With the Freak we have two go-to players. Bench becomes

Rozier, Smart, Brown, KO, Zizic.

Overall, the team's rebounding and rim protection will improve.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1570 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:16 pm

Undeniable talent, but may be a James Young/Gerald Green story (ie, never realizes his potential here and find success on 2nd/3rd team).
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#1571 » by chrisab123 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:07 am

Lakers sending Magic...there's zero chance they fall out of the top 3 if they're sending magic. Maybe send a cardboard cut out of Red?
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#1572 » by jfs1000d » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:57 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

Interesting question. I think Gobert and Porzingis aren't good enough to warrant a top 2 pick. No. 1? It would have to be an All-NBA 1st or second team player or Davis/Towns.

I would do Towns, Davis and then any of the top 10 players for 1. To me Gobert and Porzingis would be worth the No. 3 or No. 4 pick. Greek Freak for No. 1 probably.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,396

Post#1573 » by Homerclease » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Interesting question. I think Gobert and Porzingis aren't good enough to warrant a top 2 pick. No. 1? It would have to be an All-NBA 1st or second team player or Davis/Towns.

I would do Towns, Davis and then any of the top 10 players for 1. To me Gobert and Porzingis would be worth the No. 3 or No. 4 pick. Greek Freak for No. 1 probably.

Disagree on this, Gobert is pretty much one of a kind in the entire league right now. I'd deal the top pick for him in a heart beat
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#1574 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Homerclease wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Disagree on this, Gobert is pretty much one of a kind in the entire league right now. I'd deal the top pick for him in a heart beat

Wouldn't that be something; trade for Gobert and sign Hayward away from Utah in one offseason :wink:
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,396

Post#1575 » by Homerclease » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:12 pm

CsBsSoxPhins wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

Wouldn't that be something; trade for Gobert and sign Hayward away from Utah in one offseason :wink:

Utah won't trade him for all the tea in China, nor should they. There's not too many guys that can dominate the game on defense any more and Gobert is one of them.
TheOGJabroni
Head Coach
And1: 1,992

Post#1576 » by TheOGJabroni » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Homerclease wrote:
CsBsSoxPhins wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Disagree on this, Gobert is pretty much one of a kind in the entire league right now. I'd deal the top pick for him in a heart beat

Utah won't trade him for all the tea in China, nor should they. There's not too many guys that can dominate the game on defense any more and Gobert is one of them.

Definitely agree, especially if they do end up losing Hayward.
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#1577 » by robdog_5 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I get frustrated when people post things like let's trade for Gobert, Greek Freak, etc. Those guys aren't available and won't be for a while. Young/controllable dont get dealt unless team situation bad. George, Butler (to a lesser extent) and other stars in bad situations maybe the only places to look for impact deal.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#1578 » by greenroom31 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:17 pm

Trying to bring this back to the draft and not trades, so let me throw out a question:

How many player do you have in the top tier? I've heard a number of people argue for a top 3 (Fultz, Ball, Jackson in some order), but I've also heard top 4 (add Tatum to the other 3), and then some people view a top 5 or 6, including either or both of Monk and Fox.

I personally think there's a top 1 (Fultz) and then a 2-6 that is all relatively close until people get measured, etc. Curious to hear other people's thoughts?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1579 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:27 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Trying to bring this back to the draft and not trades, so let me throw out a question:

How many player do you have in the top tier? I've heard a number of people argue for a top 3 (Fultz, Ball, Jackson in some order), but I've also heard top 4 (add Tatum to the other 3), and then some people view a top 5 or 6, including either or both of Monk and Fox.

I personally think there's a top 1 (Fultz) and then a 2-6 that is all relatively close until people get measured, etc. Curious to hear other people's thoughts?

I think 1-5 are all pretty close.

I have Fultz slightly ahead of Ball/Jackson/Tatum. I also have that middle tier slightly ahead of Fox. I have Fultz solidly ahead of Fox. And Fox solidly ahead of the next tier. Visually, I see it as:

Fultz

Tatum
Jackson
Ball

Fox
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#1580 » by 2Mas » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:48 pm

greenroom31 wrote:Trying to bring this back to the draft and not trades, so let me throw out a question:

Yup same here.

Tier 1 -
Fultz (( Wayyy above all ther rest )). Fultz or trade please.

Tier 2 -
Jackson
Ball
Tatum

Tier 3-
Fox
Monk
Isaac

This draft has a player that each team needs so badly lol. We need scoring. Phx needs a defensive wing. Lakers need a true pg. Philly needs a straight shooter. Orlando needs a go to 1-1 scorer. NY needs a pg terribly. Just take what you need & don't do some **** ****. Thank you.

Return to Boston Celtics