ImageImageImage

Butler traded for almost nothing. Why didn't Celtics step in?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: Butler traded for almost nothing. Why didn't Celtics step in? 

Post#161 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:40 am

There was no good trade for Butler, guys.

3 was probably right value wise, but that comes with the opportunity cost of a max FA. Hayward + 3 > Butler.

Including Bradley and Crowder turns the deal into a massive overpay, especially compared to the ultimate return. No sense in punting value just cause.

The teams just weren't good trading partners. Especially with the new cap number. No use crying about it.
Fantaxp7
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,615

Post#162 » by Fantaxp7 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:44 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:There was no good trade for Butler, guys.

3 was probably right value wise, but that comes with the opportunity cost of a max FA. Hayward + 3 > Butler.

Including Bradley and Crowder turns the deal into a massive overpay, especially compared to the ultimate return. No sense in punting value just cause.

The teams just weren't good trading partners. Especially with the new cap number. No use crying about it.

This.

Also I think we can package AB and Crowder for something else...maybe a solid big man....

Anyways Ainge still has a ton of flexibility.
Leprechaun18
Bench Warmer
And1: 644

Post#163 » by Leprechaun18 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:52 am

I hope the Celtics resign AB. He is our best guard!
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#164 » by Froob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 pm

Fantaxp7 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:There was no good trade for Butler, guys.

This.

Also I think we can package AB and Crowder for something else...maybe a solid big man....

Anyways Ainge still has a ton of flexibility.

Make it happen

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,322

Post#165 » by Froob » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm

Kolkmania wrote:
Tiny ball wrote:
Kolkmania wrote:It's just a very difficult decision and Ainge is simply postponing his choice regarding the future of the Celtics. He wants to gather more information about the Celtics' youth, that's my guess. Until then they're betting on two horses, youth + IT4, Horford and opportunity to sign Hayward/Griffin.

There's a risk involved in this decision, if Jaylen Brown or Jayson Tatum doesn't pan out they lost the opportunity to sign quality players like Paul George and Jimmy Butler and they're nowhere near contention. That said, going all in makes little sense with the Warriors.

When you go to rent a car do you give them your car and house? Most people will not do that. Paul George worth a little to kick the tires on but very little. He is going to learn everything about our team and take that to la. Truthfully I do not want him at all as a rental. Not sure I would take a first round pick to take him off Birds hands.. I would of course think about it.

Bradley, Crowder and #3 are just a little garage compared to the enormous property Celtics have. Not sure why you say that Butler is a rental, IF you trade for him, you'll try to resign him in 2019.

That #3 pick is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,262

Post#166 » by TheMartian » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm

DA just basically confirmed in the post-draft presscon that other teams were asking for the moon when dealing with the C's. After what we saw with Butler to MIN, I can only imagine what GarPax was asking from Danny that made Danny pass on JB.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,125

Post#167 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:16 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Wonderllama wrote:Ainge is a cheap something. He should have offered #3 + Brown. If the Bulls turned it down, that would be on them. But it should have been on the table.

:lol: Ainge is cheap cuz he didn't grossly overpay for your teams star. Keep whining, your tears taste fantastic.

Krazykiwi wrote:Sour grape. This is all your celtics fans have left. Ainge is an idiot who couldn't even beat that offer for a top15 2way player. What's the point of collecting all those assets when it's time to cash in some, you don't do that? This celtics team is going to be filled with mediocre pkayers like Bradley, crowder of the world. It was the perfect opportunity to get bulter this season and entice other stars FA to sign here.

Well if their mediocre, why were they the sticking point from your front office last deadline? Enjoy your 10+ year rebuild. Y'all can't even tank properly anymore.

Krazykiwi wrote:Most importantly, it's like the bulls were asking a farm for bulter. You still have tons of assets, I think 3 and Bradley rozier would have done it. So essentially you are trading the no.1 for bulter and next years LA lottery pick, and you didn't do that.... Ainge is officially the worst gm in the NBA. So bad, unbelievable.

Your GM just traded an all-NBA two way player on a great contract to move up 9 spots in the draft, picking up a giant bust and a guy with a torn ACL in the process. Remind me why Ainge is the worst GM in the league again?

Haha, you just destroyed this moron. "Worst GM in the NBA."
dixielott02
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#168 » by dixielott02 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:28 pm

I can't help but think AB, Rozier, and next year's Lakers pick for Jimmy Butler would have been enough. Keep the 16th, its all yours. I can't help but think that would have been enough. Solid players in AB and Rozier, a top pick next year AND they get to keep the 16th pick to draft solid player in what has been a solid year for young prospects
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,369

Post#169 » by Red2 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 pm

What good are draft picks if Danny F's them up
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#170 » by jirrit » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:36 pm

gman5589 wrote:^ Then don't sign IT, Horford, Hayward to max money and let the young players develop with maximum playing time. Good plan?

Horford was to pitch KD and that almost went well. IT's not signed yet, neither is Hayward but if we have a chance we'll sign Griffin/Hayward obviously. A core of Hayward, Horford, Brown, Tatum + all the other picks is already better than most can dream off. We can almost say we're 100% sure we'll land a top 5 pick next year, maybe two. Don't know what's wrong with that. Butler may be a bit underrated here but there are injury issues plus he'll demand a 200 million contract in two years, when he gets 30-something? If you've already given one to an 'older' star in IT that would indeed not be the smartest move. I think he would have taken Butler if they price was a little less steep. Like AB, Crowder + a pick around 7-10 but we didn't have a package that could help the rebuilding Bulls enough hence why they chose the Minny-package cause it was obviously an overpay if we paid the #3 since they only got to move up 9 spots from #16 for Butler.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#171 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:37 pm

OldCeltics wrote:Butler:
25 ppg, 2 stl, 24 per, strong defender, 28 yo

For Levine (who?), Dunn(3.8ppg, 2.5ass), 7th pick.

George is a 1 year rental. Why wouldn't Danny go get Butler. They basically gave him up for nothing. Chicago also gave up the 16th pick.

They just called Butler the 15th best player in league on ESPN.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

So the Celtic deal that beats that would be Brown, Smart and one of the brooklyn picks. would you have done that for Butler?
Sign here
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#172 » by chrisab123 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:42 pm

brackdan70 wrote:

George is a 1 year rental. Why wouldn't Danny go get Butler. They basically gave him up for nothing. Chicago also gave up the 16th pick.

So the Celtic deal that beats that would be Brown, Smart and one of the brooklyn picks. would you have done that for Butler?

Not unreasonable. Now that being said it depends how close you think you are to a title. LaVine is coming off a serious injury and Dunn sucked. So maybe it would be as simple as Boston getting #7 for Bradley or Crowder and then flipping 3 and 7 plus a future Boston pick. Maybe Smart too. BUT we won't know what they asked Danny Ainge for because it seems like every team asks for Crowder or Rozier and he hangs up on them when they ask. Maybe I'm not as high on either as him but I don't see what either adds that would prevent the team from bringing in a star.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#173 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:

Not unreasonable. Now that being said it depends how close you think you are to a title. LaVine is coming off a serious injury and Dunn sucked. So maybe it would be as simple as Boston getting #7 for Bradley or Crowder and then flipping 3 and 7 plus a future Boston pick. Maybe Smart too. BUT we won't know what they asked Danny Ainge for because it seems like every team asks for Crowder or Rozier and he hangs up on them when they ask. Maybe I'm not as high on either as him but I don't see what either adds that would prevent the team from bringing in a star.

Couple things. neither Bradley or Crowder has value enough to get #7. I don't think Minny would help the Cs get Butler since they were chasing him. I don't know that Rozier or Crowder were asked for here? There was talk that Dany never put a brooklyn pick on the table, so that is likely the deal breaker for Chicago.

I threw out Brown, Smart and one of the Brooklyn picks as a slightly better value than the Minny Package, but not much better. just saying what it would have taken. Fair value IMO, but I am glad we didn't.
Sign here
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#174 » by Smog » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Trading for Butler would have come at the cost of Hayward, right? So what are we talking about?

Obviously the best move is to try to add in FA without sacrificing key assets. If we can pick up a secondary scorer without giving up 3, Brown, next year's Laker pick, or whatever, why not try that first before pulling the trigger on a Butler deal?

GarPax made a mistake in my opinion. They'd have gotten much better offers after FA, not just from Boston either.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#175 » by brackdan70 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:06 pm

dixielott02 wrote:I can't help but think AB, Rozier, and next year's Lakers pick for Jimmy Butler would have been enough. Keep the 16th, its all yours. I can't help but think that would have been enough. Solid players in AB and Rozier, a top pick next year AND they get to keep the 16th pick to draft solid player in what has been a solid year for young prospects

as fa as pure trade value the Minny offer was much better. Swap Brown for AB and its closer.
Sign here
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,106

Post#176 » by La Flame » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:17 pm

Cuz we will get Hayward for free and PG for peanuts
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#177 » by righterwriter » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Chicago prefers a package of Brown, #3, and the LAL/SAC pick (plus Zeller to make salaries work) over Lavine, Dunn, and #7 (with a pick swap). They'd probably have thrown in the #17, too, so you could draft a PF like John Collins (great rebounder).

That leaves you with a roster of:

IT/Smart/Rozier/2nd rd pick guy
Butler/Bradley
Crowder/Semi Oleje
/Collins
Horford/Zizic

Having Butler in the mix makes for a much more attractive setting for a top notch FA to want to sign with you, like Hayward or Blake Griffin. They'd know that you are committed to winning now and not potentially be stuck in a rebuild if IT isn't resigned.

As it is, drafting two more SFs sends a terrible message to Hayward and I'm sure that Blake Griffin (if he is even considering Boston, I don't think he really is) thinks this is a team that is not looking to win now, so why join up on a long term deal?

Your roster now, and I think through to next season (with a few kind of average signings) will likely be:

IT/Rozier/that 2nd rd pick
Bradley/Smart
Crowder/Brown/Taytum/Semi Oleje
mid-level FA signing/French guy
Horford/Zizic

To me that looks like a team that is not looking to go for it next year. I could see IT and Bradley leaving and then the team being centered around four SFs (three very young), Smart and Horford.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,161

Post#178 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:46 pm

Wiretap link says it all.

To Minny Butler's asking price was Dunn, LaVine off an ACL ttear and the 7th pick.
To Boston the asking price is probably Brown, the 3, Brooklyn 18 and Crowder.

It's almost as if the NBA GM's have taken the Billy King rip off and the Isaiah heist to such an extreme level they will take somebody else's 80 cent trade over our 95 cent trade just to **** over Ainge.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#179 » by Revived » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:02 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Wiretap link says it all.

To Minny Butler's asking price was Dunn, LaVine off an ACL ttear and the 7th pick.

It's almost as if the NBA GM's have taken the Billy King rip off and the Isaiah heist to such an extreme level they will take somebody else's 80 cent trade over our 95 cent trade just to **** over Ainge.

Chicago wanted one or the other, not both according to wiretap and yet Ainge was reportedly not offering either one.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#180 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:Wiretap link says it all.

Yea I wouldn't include 3/brooklyn 18 in any trade that wasnt for Anthony Davis...

but a 3/lesser role player(crowder or smart)

or LAL/Sac pick with higher upside Brown

I probably would be cool with sending to get Butler.

Both would've squashed our offer. Only problem is Ainge blinked.

Return to Boston Celtics