ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,996

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#21 » by leper-con » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:29 am

This kid is a DUncan Robinson type.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#22 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:30 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:1st team all-American and PAC-12 POY but he sucks?

Just admit you haven't watched him play if you think that. 40% 3PT shooter who can come in and run the 2nd unit. Really good backup PG, in the mold of Van Vleet off the bench. Solid pick.

He is NOT FVV. For one, FVV is built like a brick wall.

Two, FVV was and is a demonstrably better shooter. Look up their college shooting.

Three, Carsen Edwards was an AA guard too, look how that has turned out. So was Jalen Brunson and while I like Brunson he's nothing more than a 15 MPG bench guy in the NBA. And honestly, Edwards and Brunson were meaningfully better college players than Pritchard.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#23 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:41 am

Read on Twitter

Stamp of approval from Dame.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#24 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 am

Read on Twitter
drs123310
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#25 » by drs123310 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:42 am

Checking in because I went to Oregon. Pritch can drill 3s and is a relentless competitor. I have no doubt he'll find his way into the rotation. Have faith!
The Truth hurts
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#26 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:52 am

So... is he or is he not related to Pacers GM Kevin Pritchard? :lol:
Jingles
Sixth Man
And1: 2,190

Post#27 » by Jingles » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 am

Gomes3PC wrote:

Just admit you haven't watched him play if you think that. 40% 3PT shooter who can come in and run the 2nd unit. Really good backup PG, in the mold of Van Vleet off the bench. Solid pick.

Two, FVV was and is a demonstrably better shooter. Look up their college shooting.

Three, Carsen Edwards was an AA guard too, look how that has turned out. So was Jalen Brunson and while I like Brunson he's nothing more than a 15 MPG bench guy in the NBA. And honestly, Edwards and Brunson were meaningfully better college players than Pritchard.

Yeah, can’t underestimate how important strength, freak athleticism, or prodigious shooting talent (and often two out of three) is for smaller guards.

Toughness and competitiveness are nice but that goes out the window in a heartbeat if he can’t hang on D, struggles to get his shot off, and/or can’t dribble by anybody at this level.

It’s the 26th pick so whatever, but I’m not sold on this role player actually carving out a role in the NBA. There are guys like this scattered around, so we’ll see. But FVV, as you say, is a tank. I don’t see this as a fair comparison.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,154

Post#28 » by 31to6 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:13 am

Ooh he looks a bit like a smaller Hayward when decelerating!

I’m saucy about the draft after 14 overall but can’t argue with drafting a backup point which is an obvious need. Pritchard is a big time shooter and scorer with legit size (unlike Tremont, who I love, but that size tho)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#29 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:31 am

Gomes3PC wrote:

I meant mold of FVV offensively with his deep shooting range and shot creation ability. Obviously that’s best case scenario. Sorry I should have clarified.

Brunson was better yeah he was college player of the year. Pritchard was better than Edwards though way more efficient and better distributor.

Pritchard was 1st team all American and I believe Edwards was 3rd. Edwards wasn’t even Big 10 POY either. We can do this all night but reality is Pritchard was a better prospect than Carsen.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#30 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:58 am

Picking a soon-to-be 23 year old 4-year player tells me he's going to be in the rotation day one.

Wanamaker likely gone. Waters not a real asset in my estimation. Edwards not really a PG.

Looks like they picked him to play.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,913

Post#31 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:18 am

Being a massive college basketball fan and living on the west coast and catching a good amount of Oregon games. I'll just say there is a reason these guys get paid to make these picks, they know more than me. Pritchard is a hard nose player, but I honestly thought he was going to be a mid to late 2nd round pick. A tough nosed kid that can shoot and is a smart player though.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#32 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:20 am

Other GM's thought he was a 1st rounder...not saying I like the pick but he would not have been there at 47...I thought so too at first

"...Oregon senior point guard Payton Pritchard who I've heard, this came as a surprise to me this past week, I've heard from two different sources that Pritchard has a promise in the late first round," said O'Connor.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,657

Post#33 » by grindtime22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:26 am

Spin Move wrote:Other GM's thought he was a 1st rounder...not saying I like the pick but he would not have been there at 47...I thought so too at first

"...Oregon senior point guard Payton Pritchard who I've heard, this came as a surprise to me this past week, I've heard from two different sources that Pritchard has a promise in the late first round," said O'Connor.

So does him saying he was surprised mean the promise wasn't us?
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#34 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 am

grindtime22 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:Other GM's thought he was a 1st rounder...not saying I like the pick but he would not have been there at 47...I thought so too at first

Ainge doesnt do promises anymore
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:29 am

Can come in and be the backup PG. Incredibly tough player and great leader and great shooter. You’re not asking him to do much with this roster. Just needs to hit open shots and get it to open guys.

Really the perfect backup point guard for this team. At the end of the first round you want a guy who will contribute and you want someone who you know what he will bring to the table.

Would I have preferred a higher upside guy? Probably. But Pritchard was the best PG in college, 1st team all American, and Pac 12 POY. The dude can play.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,657

Post#36 » by grindtime22 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:32 am

Spin Move wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:

Ainge doesnt do promises anymore

I'm assuming it was the Raptors then
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:52 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

This first move on Lu Dort who was giving Harden fits in the playoffs by the way. Just one highlight but I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised by him.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#38 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:55 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Way more athletic than I think you guys who haven’t watched him realize. Real shifty and his bag is pretty deep too.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#39 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Crazy the handles these guards in the NBA have!
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#40 » by SMTBSI » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:28 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Being a massive college basketball fan and living on the west coast and catching a good amount of Oregon games. I'll just say there is a reason these guys get paid to make these picks, they know more than me. Pritchard is a hard nose player, but I honestly thought he was going to be a mid to late 2nd round pick. A tough nosed kid that can shoot and is a smart player though.

Question from someone who's never watched one second of college ball:

The Pritchard pick has the shape of the classic "low ceiling, high floor" pick. Soon-to-be 23yo 4-year senior and all. Which, at #26, fine.

But for a "low ceiling, high floor" player to work out, they have to actually be, you know, high floor. A guy with a low ceiling and a low floor is just not first round material.

Can Pritchard be credibly described as "high floor"? Or would you characterize the pick more as a complete headscratcher?

Return to Boston Celtics