ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, JD Davison!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,199

Re: Welcome to Boston, JD Davison! 

Post#341 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:23 pm

brackdan70 wrote:If I were Brad I would seriously look at signing him up for that 15th spot. I mean they have a lot invested in him (54th pick) to let him go.

The 53rd pick is really not much of an investment. Most guys who are picked in the 50's don't end up even playing in the NBA.

Look at the 2018 draft, for example. Here's picks 51-60:

Only 1 of these 10 guys (Shake Milton) has done anything in the NBA.

We never even gave JD a real contract..he was just on a 2-way for a couple of years. Guys on 2-way contracts barely even make any $.

He's not really an asset that would return anything of value..

I wish him the best of luck though and hope he's able to get a chance somewhere..perhaps San Antonio or Chicago.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,485

Post#342 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:41 pm

Hal14 wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:If I were Brad I would seriously look at signing him up for that 15th spot. I mean they have a lot invested in him (54th pick) to let him go.

The 53rd pick is really not much of an investment. Most guys who are picked in the 50's don't end up even playing in the NBA.

We never even gave JD a real contract..he was just on a 2-way for a couple of years. Guys on 2-way contracts barely even make any $.

I gotta ask... why use the 2018 draft as a seemingly random example?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,420

Post#343 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:46 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Yes I know…a bit tongue in cheek.
Sign here
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,887

Post#344 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:49 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:He shot 26% from three on more than five attempts. Unless Brad trades both picks away for future assets they’ll have at least another second rounder added next summer and bigger needs to fill than a third pg.

Considering that all 3 of Jrue, White, and Pritchard are ballhandlers, the construction of the team suggests Springer probably makes more sense as the 4th guard off the bench for next year. Either him or Walsh who could certainly guard in the backcourt if not bigger wings.

JD may find himself without a seat when the music stops playing.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Hal14
RealGM

Post#345 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:51 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

No particular reason. If I picked any other recent draft, the results would have probably been about the same.

And I didn't really want to pick a draft like 2022 or 2023, since it's too soon to tell whether those guys will pan out or not..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#346 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:31 pm

Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:The 53rd pick is really not much of an investment. Most guys who are picked in the 50's don't end up even playing in the NBA.

No particular reason. If I picked any other recent draft, the results would have probably been about the same.

And I didn't really want to pick a draft like 2022 or 2023, since it's too soon to tell whether those guys will pan out or not..

Gotcha. I don't disagree the 53rd pick isn't much of an investment, but interestingly enough looking at the 2021 draft (a year before JD and at least potentially long enough ago to tell if guys will pan out) has some hits in the 51-60 range. I didn't expect that lol.

51- Brandon Boston Jr. - has played over 100 games for a playoff Clippers team
52- Luka Garza - showed promise in G-League and converted to a standard contract this month
53- Charles Bassey - also showed promise/converted to a standard deal (a pretty good one for a 2-way) but serious injuries since
54- Sandro Mamukelashvili - over 100 games and on a standard contract as well
55- Aaron Wiggins - solid bench contributor for the Thunder and a frequent RGM trade target, especially for the Grant TPE
56- Scottie Lewis - swing and a miss
57- Balša Koprivica - strike 2
58- Jericho Sims - interesting young prospect for the Knicks and on a standard deal as well.
59- RaiQuan Gray - yeah I think we're about done here lol
60- Georgios Kalaitzakis - nothing to see since a short-term signing and waiving by the Bucks in 2021

To relate to the issue with JD and depth in front of him none of these guys (even the ones who have played a significant amount of games) break the rotation in Boston, but still I didn't expect to see 6 of the 10 from 2021 find minutes/standard contracts.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,238

Post#347 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:34 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:He shot 26% from three on more than five attempts. Unless Brad trades both picks away for future assets they’ll have at least another second rounder added next summer and bigger needs to fill than a third pg.

Except he didn't. Over the full season, he shot 31.3% on 4.9 attempts per game (if we include the playoffs where he went 13/31, he is at 32.7% on 5.1 attempts per game). Which isn't where it needs to be for him to stick in the NBA but quite a bit better than the random number you are using (and also better than the 30.3% on 3.0 attempts from last season so it's at least trending in the right direction).
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#348 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:36 pm

Would we expect his 3pt% to remain the same with the big club or go up as he takes less of an on-ball role and should get more catch and shoot 3's? Not talking a Hauser like jump, but I could see it go up a couple points realistically.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#349 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 pm

shackles10 wrote:Would we expect his 3pt% to remain the same with the big club or go up as he takes less of an on-ball role and should get more catch and shoot 3's? Not talking a Hauser like jump, but I could see it go up a couple points realistically.

I don't think you would want to play JD in an off ball role. That's just not the strength of his game. You wouldn't be using him the right way.

He's best used on the ball, as a lead guard, facilitator, floor general type who can spread the ball around, run PnR, throw lobs, drive and kick, etc. He probably won't have a role like that here, which is why I think it's best for him to go to a team like the Spurs (or perhaps overseas).

21-22 season in college: 30.1% from 3
22-23 season in G league: 30.1% from 3
23-24 season in G league: 31.3% from 3

He seems to be pretty consistently a 30-31% shooter from 3. I wouldn't really expect him to all of a sudden have a significant spike in that number..especially since his FT% dipped quite a bit this season, compared to last season.

Sure, the 3 FG% might go up a little bit if it's more catch and shoot looks. But you also have to factor in that there is very little defense played in the G league. The defense is much tougher in the NBA (and much more pressure to perform in the NBA on a bigger stage, higher stakes, way bigger crowds, bigger arenas which are harder to shoot in. Which is why you see random guys who can't make an NBA team all of a sudden going off for 40 point games in the g league and making 39% of their 3's.

But next season JD will be another year older, with another year of development under his belt so there is a chance his shooting could slightly improve. But probably not that much, considering the other factors I mentioned here.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#350 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Would we expect his 3pt% to remain the same with the big club or go up as he takes less of an on-ball role and should get more catch and shoot 3's? Not talking a Hauser like jump, but I could see it go up a couple points realistically.

I don't think you would want to play JD in an off ball role. That's just not the strength of his game. You wouldn't be using him the right way.

He's best used on the ball, as a lead guard, facilitator, floor general type who can spread the ball around, run PnR, throw lobs, drive and kick, etc. He probably won't have a role like that here, which is why I think it's best for him to go to a team like the Spurs (or perhaps overseas).

21-22 season in college: 30.1% from 3
22-23 season in G league: 30.1% from 3
23-24 season in G league: 31.3% from 3

He seems to be pretty consistently a 30-31% shooter from 3. I wouldn't really expect him to all of a sudden have a significant spike in that number..especially since his FT% dipped quite a bit this season, compared to last season.

Sure, the 3 FG% might go up a little bit if it's more catch and shoot looks. But you also have to factor in that there is very little defense played in the G league. The defense is much tougher in the NBA (and much more pressure to perform in the NBA on a bigger stage, higher stakes, way bigger crowds, bigger arenas which are harder to shoot in. Which is why you see random guys who can't make an NBA team all of a sudden going off for 40 point games in the g league and making 39% of their 3's.

But next season JD will be another year older, with another year of development under his belt so there is a chance his shooting could slightly improve. But probably not that much, considering the other factors I mentioned here.

Should have clarified and didn't word it well on my part. Not an off-ball role, but not as many off the dribble or pull-up 3's as he's assumedly taking in the g-league. The shots coming from an initially off-ball position anyways...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#351 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:

Gotcha. I don't disagree the 53rd pick isn't much of an investment, but interestingly enough looking at the 2021 draft (a year before JD and at least potentially long enough ago to tell if guys will pan out) has some hits in the 51-60 range. I didn't expect that lol.

52- Luka Garza - showed promise in G-League and converted to a standard contract this month
53- Charles Bassey - also showed promise/converted to a standard deal (a pretty good one for a 2-way) but serious injuries since
55- Aaron Wiggins - solid bench contributor for the Thunder and a frequent RGM trade target, especially for the Grant TPE
58- Jericho Sims - interesting young prospect for the Knicks and on a standard deal as well.
60- Georgios Kalaitzakis - nothing to see since a short-term signing and waiving by the Bucks in 2021

Out of those 10 guys, I would say Wiggins is really the only "hit". Just because a guy got a standard contract, doesn't really make him a hit. I mean, we've had Julian Champagnie, Juwon Morgan, Carsen Edwards, Vincent Poirier, Noah Vonleh and Justin Jackson on standard contracts.

Also, some of those guys are on standard contracts with *really* bad teams which doesn't really help your case.

The point I was making though, isn't that JD has no chance to make it in the NBA (I've said a couple times in this thread that he could maybe make it in the league, but probably would have to be for a different team). All I was really saying by bringing up the 2018 draft and picks 51-60 is that since the hit rate is so low, players selected that late in the draft typically are not viewed as an "asset" that a team would actually be able to move and get real value back in a trade. Especially not a guy who has been on a 2-way for 2 years..and still hasn't been converted.

Also, while the 2021 draft 51-60 range might seem decent, I believe that is an outlier..most years, the hit rate is worse in that range imo..

Lastly, the poster who said that we should try to get value back for him and not just let him go for nothing later said his comment was tongue and cheek, so this is all a moot point :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#352 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

Hal14 wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:No particular reason. If I picked any other recent draft, the results would have probably been about the same.

Out of those 10 guys, I would say Wiggins is really the only "hit". Just because a guy got a standard contract, doesn't really make him a hit. I mean, we've had Julian Champagnie, Juwon Morgan, Carsen Edwards, Vincent Poirier, Noah Vonleh and Justin Jackson on standard contracts.

Also, some of those guys are on standard contracts with *really* bad teams which doesn't really help your case.

The point I was making though, isn't that JD has no chance to make it in the NBA (I've said a couple times in this thread that he could maybe make it in the league, but probably would have to be for a different team). All I was really saying by bringing up the 2018 draft and picks 51-60 is that since the hit rate is so low, players selected that late in the draft typically are not viewed as an "asset" that a team would actually be able to move and get real value back in a trade. Especially not a guy who has been on a 2-way for 2 years..and still hasn't been converted.

Also, while the 2021 draft 51-60 range might seem decent, I believe that is an outlier..most years, the hit rate is worse in that range imo..

Lastly, the poster who said that we should try to get value back for him and not just let him go for nothing later said his comment was tongue and cheek, so this is all a moot point :)

Wasn't making a case for JD or any of those guys, just felt it was interesting that in 2018 there was 1 guy and in 2021 there was 6 guys who've played a significant amount of games or in the case of Sims/Garza are at least interesting prospects as much or more than JD is. It definitely wasn't something I expected when I googled the draft results. I mentioned none of those guys make our rotation (maybe Wiggins does) and that's the struggle for JD as well, not just getting a guaranteed contract fwiw.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,554

Post#353 » by 165bows » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:45 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Except he didn't. Over the full season, he shot 31.3% on 4.9 attempts per game (if we include the playoffs where he went 13/31, he is at 32.7% on 5.1 attempts per game). Which isn't where it needs to be for him to stick in the NBA but quite a bit better than the random number you are using (and also better than the 30.3% on 3.0 attempts from last season so it's at least trending in the right direction).

The way G league stats are displayed is super annoying lol. Anyone know why they won’t condense them for some reason?
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#354 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 pm

165bows wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

The way G league stats are displayed is super annoying lol. Anyone know why they won’t condense them for some reason?

Lack of staffing?
Sign here
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#355 » by brackdan70 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 pm

Seems like there is a niche to be exploited in presenting quality G league stats…who wants to invest in my startup?
Also I need a data/ stats analytics guy, a web developer and someone who can run a database.
Sign here
He_Got_Game
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#356 » by He_Got_Game » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:35 pm

It doesn't matter where a player was drafted (see Nikola Jokic). All that matters is can the guy play and does he have an NBA skillet. The answer for JD is yes, he is an NBA level passer. There is a place for a passer like him in the NBA.
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,238

Post#357 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:34 pm

He_Got_Game wrote:It doesn't matter where a player was drafted (see Nikola Jokic). All that matters is can the guy play and does he have an NBA skillet. The answer for JD is yes, he is an NBA level passer. There is a place for a passer like him in the NBA.

Absolutely. See also the Raptors who won the title with zero lottery pick on their roster. But people fall in love with the iea of a quick fix which is why it's so easy to sell tanking for a generational guy as the only way to build a roster. The odds are stacked against Davison just like they are stacked against Walsh and any other guy that wants to carve out a role on an NBA team but they are grinders and those are the ones that have a chance to stick around. You have to give them a chance to develop and time to grind their way into becoming NBA guys. Davison is still super young, he turned 21 less than a month ago, like a third of the players that will be drafted this June are older than him.

I think he deserves another year even if it means investing a full roster spot.You pair him with a NBA center and he can run a competent pick and roll against third units to protect leads in garbage time. He can at least do that while we wait to see if he rounds out the rest of his game. I could never say that about Carsen Edwards, Tremont Waters, Kadeem Allen and a bunch of other late picks in recent seasons.

Return to Boston Celtics