ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,607

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3 

Post#841 » by bisme37 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:33 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Trying Apple+'s Constellation with Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks. Two episodes in, I wanna like it but it's not clicking for me so far.

The Iron Claw (Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White) depressed the **** out of me. Decent movie. Didn't know about that wrestling family before this.

Been looking forward to Constellation but I'll prob wait for all the episodes before I get into it. So hopefully it stops sucking haha.

Have you tried Criminal Record on Apple yet? British detective show, well reviewed and looks good. I think all the episodes are out now so I'll probably start it tonight.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,946

Post#842 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:42 pm

bisme37 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Trying Apple+'s Constellation with Noomi Rapace and Jonathan Banks. Two episodes in, I wanna like it but it's not clicking for me so far.

The Iron Claw (Zac Efron, Jeremy Allen White) depressed the **** out of me. Decent movie. Didn't know about that wrestling family before this.

Been looking forward to Constellation but I'll prob wait for all the episodes before I get into it. So hopefully it stops sucking haha.

Have you tried Criminal Record on Apple yet? British detective show, well reviewed and looks good. I think all the episodes are out now so I'll probably start it tonight.

Oh, it doesn’t suck but it also doesn’t offer anything new as far as these outer space dramas go. Will continue to watch for Noomi’s sake.

Yep. Loved the actors/acting. Never really got into the story itself. Felt dragged out. Luther could’ve solved the case in 3 episodes max haha.
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#843 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:49 pm

The Von Erich Curse.

one of wrestlings saddest stories amung many sad stories.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#844 » by bisme37 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:18 pm

I watched the new live action Netflix series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Kind of a mixed bag but it was entertaining for sure. It seems like fans of the anime hate it but I haven't seen the anime so I don't really care about that.

It's definitely a PG rated series intended for families. Kinda corny. But fun and exciting. Some cool action scenes and likable supporting characters. The lead character bugged me, I wanted him to be less of a wuss lol. But it was part of his character development and it seems like he'll be leaving his wussiness behind in Season 2.

Overall I'd recommend to for family viewing or just bored adult nerds like me.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#845 » by threrf23 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:13 am

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#846 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:29 am

I'm finally having trouble with YouTube's crackdown on ad blockers, so I'll embed a few of my favorites here.

For starters, Hilary Hahn has become my favorite violinist of all time, ahead even of Heifitz (better left hand) or Perlman. She finally has a performance of the Tschaikowsky Violin Concerto up on YouTube:

Her Beethoven Violin Concerto has long been one of my favorite listens:

And her Mendelssohn Concerto, for me, ranks even above that.

Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#847 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:24 pm

Watched the first two episodes of the Shogun remake on Disney+. Highly recommended. Better than the original, although more compressed.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#848 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:42 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Watched the first two episodes of the Shogun remake on Disney+. Highly recommended. Better than the original, although more compressed.

I was going to watch the first two episodes tonight. I haven't read the book or seen the original TV series, but the trailer definitely looks interesting. And cool samurai **** is always going to pique my interest.

fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,092

Post#849 » by fallguy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 5:50 am

Get ready to be crushed.
ryan in Maine
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,518

Post#850 » by ryan in Maine » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:37 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:
ryan in Maine wrote:What. A. Banger.

Warning: Moderate video fx

Yes!

I am generally stuck pretty firmly in my 1987-2005 bubble when it comes to hip hop, but Czarface is definitely an exception. All the albums are super strong, and 7L is underrated big time. It is also cool that Rebel INS got such a good producer to work with, he has always been close to my favourite Wu Tang member but I always thought his earlier solo albums suffered from the post Wu Tang Forever dip in beat quality that occurred. He didn’t get the quality that GZA, Method Man etc got with those first round of solo albums.

A current newer group I only recently discovered is Coast Contra, they make 2020’s hip hop that is definitely in my wheel house (which is not usually the case). And apparently the twins are Ras Kass’ sons which is pretty cool too. Worth checking out if you haven’t heard of them before.

I'll have to give them a listen.

Jic: NSFW - Language and content

You must dig the beat under Hazmat Rap.

And low-key candidate for track of the year, the family-friendly (really!) Marvel at That (Road Trip).

Also I just recently heard Ghostface's opening verse on Dragon Fire off RA The Rugged Man's All My Heroes are Dead album. Nice verse from RA too. Just try not to dance when the track opens up lol.

Short story no one asked for -- In high school I bought the Rasassination album on cassette tape and my friends roasted me for listening to west coast rap but I blasted that out of my Sunfire.

One more for the road -- Malice of Mammon off that same RA album. It's new to me lol. For your social justice bump needs.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#851 » by canman1971 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:32 pm

R.I.P Richard Lewis.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#852 » by Ed Pinkney » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:22 pm

Dune Part Two was really good, though I think my expectations were a little too high based on how much I enjoyed Part One.

Shogun is fantastic, the first two episodes have been one of the best things I’ve watched in ages.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#853 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:55 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:Dune Part Two was really good, though I think my expectations were a little too high based on how much I enjoyed Part One.

Shogun is fantastic, the first two episodes have been one of the best things I’ve watched in ages.

I'm in general not hard to please at the theater. I just want to enjoy myself. But I do pay attention to how a film is crafted. I've thought a lot about this since I saw it on Thursday and I think I've come to the conclusion that Dune Part 2 is the greatest film I've ever seen. That's just me. A visual masterpiece from first shot to end. It is stunning. It is visceral. It is syrupy good. The sound goes right through your chest. Do yourself a favor and see it on the biggest screen possible. Acting performances are magnificent. Chalamet has never been better. And it's so layered.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#854 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:56 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:Dune Part Two was really good, though I think my expectations were a little too high based on how much I enjoyed Part One.

I'm in general not hard to please at the theater. I just want to enjoy myself. But I do pay attention to how a film is crafted. I've thought a lot about this since I saw it on Thursday and I think I've come to the conclusion that Dune Part 2 is the greatest film I've ever seen. That's just me. A visual masterpiece from first shot to end. It is stunning. It is visceral. It is syrupy good. The sound goes right through your chest. Do yourself a favor and see it on the biggest screen possible. Acting performances are magnificent. Chalamet has never been better. And it's so layered. I wish I was kidding but this is now the best film I've ever seen. Period.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
TSmith0197
Junior
And1: 336

Post#855 » by TSmith0197 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:18 am

bisme37 wrote:I watched the new live action Netflix series Avatar: The Last Airbender. Kind of a mixed bag but it was entertaining for sure. It seems like fans of the anime hate it but I haven't seen the anime so I don't really care about that.

It's definitely a PG rated series intended for families. Kinda corny. But fun and exciting. Some cool action scenes and likable supporting characters. The lead character bugged me, I wanted him to be less of a wuss lol. But it was part of his character development and it seems like he'll be leaving his wussiness behind in Season 2.

Overall I'd recommend to for family viewing or just bored adult nerds like me.

I’m a fan of the cartoon and I like the live action too. My 2 criticisms of the live action is what you mentioned about Aang, in the cartoon he was confident AF, he knows he can kick everyone’s behind but like you said in the live action they wanted to make him less confident for character development. The other is the cartoon balanced the serious moments and lighthearted comedic moments very well. The live action didn’t have as many funny moment but I still liked the live action.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant

Post#856 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:51 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:

I'm in general not hard to please at the theater. I just want to enjoy myself. But I do pay attention to how a film is crafted. I've thought a lot about this since I saw it on Thursday and I think I've come to the conclusion that Dune Part 2 is the greatest film I've ever seen. That's just me. A visual masterpiece from first shot to end. It is stunning. It is visceral. It is syrupy good. The sound goes right through your chest. Do yourself a favor and see it on the biggest screen possible. Acting performances are magnificent. Chalamet has never been better. And it's so layered. I wish I was kidding but this is now the best film I've ever seen. Period.

Definitely agree on the technical side of things (and I thought the same thing coming out of Part One as well). The cinematography, the set design, the costume design, the sound design and score (Hans Zimmer is in full Hans Zimmer mode again), the use of the CGI etc is definitely as good as (or better than) anything I have seen in another movie. And the casting was excellent in both movies.

I truly loved Part One, it is one of the best movies I can remember seeing in recent memory. And Part Two was amazing too, but as I said, I feel like I enjoyed Part One more. Maybe because it was new and I wasn't sure what to expect and how good a job they would do pulling the story line together.

I only watched Part Two last night. I think I need to watch Part One again and then go and watch Part Two one more time before it finishes its cinema run.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#857 » by bisme37 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:17 pm

I watched the movie Poor Things on Hulu last night. Weird and wonderful and Emma Stone is incredible (and naked to a surprising degree haha) . Very creative and memorable film with a powerhouse lead performance.

Also enjoyed the series Death and Other Details on Hulu. It's getting pretty mediocre reviews so I wasn't expecting much but I thought it was good and entertaining. Basically a murder mystery with some humor.

Edit: And I just watched the film American Fiction. Excellent!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#858 » by canman1971 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 9:27 pm

"The Program" is insane. Still hard to process in the 21st century our government or anyone allows this. https://time.com/6837656/the-program-cons-cults-kidnapping-netflix-documentary-series/
doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 788

Post#859 » by doogie_hauser » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:49 am

Wow Oppenheimer cleaned up at the Oscars, scooping all the heavy hitter awards esp best picture, actor and director.

So happy for Christopher Nolan and Robert Downey Jnr winning their first Academy Awards, and apparently Cillian Murphy is the first Irishman to win best actor !

It is a wonderful film !
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,943

Post#860 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:02 am

doogie_hauser wrote:Wow Oppenheimer cleaned up at the Oscars, scooping all the heavy hitter awards esp best picture, actor and director.

So happy for Christopher Nolan and Robert Downey Jnr winning their first Academy Awards, and apparently Cillian Murphy is the first Irishman to win best actor !

It is a wonderful film !

Daniel Day Lewis holds Irish citizenship and has won the best actor Oscar four times.

EDIT: One Barry Fitzgerald also won it in 1945.

Return to Boston Celtics