ImageImageImage

OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Re: OT: Art, Music, Literature, Media, and More! Part 3 

Post#881 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:11 am

I have the book by James Clavell and also the original TV series with Richard Chamberlain and Sessue Hayakawa.

Clavell also wrote King Rat, which was made into a movie starring George Seagal.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,910

Post#882 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:14 pm

Just finished 4th episode of Shogun. You guys weren’t joking. So goooood.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,594

Post#883 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:17 pm

3 Body Problem is out on Netflix now. A sci-fi series from the Game of Thrones creators. I'm about halfway through and enjoying it.

(And speaking of GOT, new season of House of the Dragon comes out June 16.)
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#884 » by bisme37 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:55 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Just finished 4th episode of Shogun. You guys weren’t joking. So goooood.

Those poor horses!
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#885 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 pm

Such a fun and funny show. Can't recommend this enough.
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#886 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:35 am

Some films that couldn't be any more different from each other that I enjoyed last week -- Sisu (2022), Next Goal Wins (2023), Blade Runner (1982) (was a kid when I last saw this), and No Hard Feelings (2023) (another re-watch, no not just the beach scene).
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,282

Post#887 » by KillahGhostface » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:05 pm

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#888 » by shackles10 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:02 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Image

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#889 » by shackles10 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 6:57 pm

Anyone watched “The Devil’s Plan” on Netflix? Super interesting show with very mind challenging games that require thinking ahead and ability to change plans when you realize you hadn’t thought of something in the rules or the game just changes midstream.

I know it’s a cultural thing with how conversations are, but the dialogue is sometimes tough to stay interested in as it seems to be translated more literally than other shows who take a little liberty in making it in English. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,103

Post#890 » by Shak_Celts » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:05 pm

OJ dead? wish I could say, “got em!” but all I’m thinking is why so friggen long? Karma, God(s), who/whatever were tripping!

I hope this isn’t against the rules. :o

Edit: Finally got around to watching Shannon and Ocho discuss this. Forget about who said the comment “finally” because that is irrelevant. I’m bothered that people are so fake when it comes to death. Saying you shouldn’t speak ill of the dead and be careful it could happen to you. Again, forget EVERYBODY will eventually die.

I need to know who is on the committee deciding who it’s okay to celebrate the death of? People were mad about folk celebrating the death of the queen, mad about this, mad about someone else. If I feel like someone is evil and/or caused harm to someone and they die, I’m not going to change how I feel about them! I’m going to be like I was on here for OJ! I don’t care how YOU feel about that person, you have every right to say what YOU want about them! You can even be mad that I celebrate their death.

No one ever says we should respect “H” after his death. Nope, the general world agrees he was evil and therefore not worthy of this phony respect! OJ was that level of evil to someone else’s family! If someone harms my family, I’m going to celebrate! Even more if the harm they caused was the death of a loved one!!

I’m not worried that if I glean happiness from a death it will “happen to me.” I was promised death at birth! It’s really BS honestly! Dying doesn’t wash away the harm you caused!

I grew up believing in don’t speak ill of the dead, then I listened to my own thoughts. Not sure when I came to this conclusion, it doesn’t matter, I’m just tired of people saying I need to be careful because “karma/God.” If you think it’s distasteful, good for you, but I’m not going to feel bad for it because of your feelings! You do you.

Sorry but also not sorry about the rant.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#891 » by bisme37 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:40 pm

Fallout is streaming on Amazon now. I prob won't get into it for a few days but it looks really cool.

Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#892 » by Ed Pinkney » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:59 pm

bisme37 wrote:Fallout is streaming on Amazon now. I prob won't get into it for a few days but it looks really cool.

I watched the first two episodes last night, knowing nothing about it other than it is based on a computer game that I’ve never played.

It was ok, it didn’t grab me that much though. The production values are pretty good because of all that sweet Amazon cash.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#893 » by canman1971 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:31 pm

Final episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm was fantastic, along with the whole season. Sad to see it end.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#894 » by sam_I_am » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:51 am

BlackBerry on Hulu is great. There have been a lot of movies about tech firms like Tetris, Uber and Facebook. This movie may be the best of them. Definitely the most fun.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,936

Post#895 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:09 am

Has anybody tried Suno (AI-powered website to "create" your own songs with prompts)? The results are 100% pablum IMO, but still impressive. Makes you wonder how much of the music that's coming will be "created" like this.

Edit: I've just discovered that this company is in Cambridge, MA: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suno_AI
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#896 » by bisme37 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:25 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
bisme37 wrote:Fallout is streaming on Amazon now. I prob won't get into it for a few days but it looks really cool.

I watched the first two episodes last night, knowing nothing about it other than it is based on a computer game that I’ve never played.

It was ok, it didn’t grab me that much though. The production values are pretty good because of all that sweet Amazon cash.

I'm 3 episodes in now and I think I like it more than you do. It's right in my sweet spot with the sci-fi elements, action, and unique/quirky characters and plot. It's basically the same post apocalyptic thing that's been done a million times but this take is different, interesting and well done imo. And the lead actress is right in my sweet spot as well haha.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#897 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:47 pm

bisme37 wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

I'm 3 episodes in now and I think I like it more than you do. It's right in my sweet spot with the sci-fi elements, action, and unique/quirky characters and plot. It's basically the same post apocalyptic thing that's been done a million times but this take is different, interesting and well done imo. And the lead actress is right in my sweet spot as well haha.

Took me 3 episodes to get into it. The multi-genre thing takes getting used to. What am I even watching -- is this scifi? post-apocalyptic? a family drama? a western? comedy? gory action/adveture? Kinda reminds me of Firefly (w/ Nate Fillion) but also The Peacemaker (w/ John Cena). My comparisons don't make sense. Anyway, I like it just fine. Love Ella Purnell from Miss Peregrine's and of course Walton Goggins is a hoot in anything he's in.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#898 » by canman1971 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:40 pm

"Unlocked" on Netflix is really good if you like documentary series and are interested in the American prison system. Only 8 episodes, but eye opening.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#899 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:07 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
bisme37 wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:

Took me 3 episodes to get into it. The multi-genre thing takes getting used to. What am I even watching -- is this scifi? post-apocalyptic? a family drama? a western? comedy? gory action/adveture? Kinda reminds me of Firefly (w/ Nate Fillion) but also The Peacemaker (w/ John Cena). My comparisons don't make sense. Anyway, I like it just fine. Love Ella Purnell from Miss Peregrine's and of course Walton Goggins is a hoot in anything he's in.

I'm on the final episode. It's surprisingly fast-moving.

Maximus looks like if Doc Rivers, Grant Williams, and Denzel Washington had a baby. I don't recognize him from anything else. Seems like a new-ish actor to me. This is gotta be his biggest break so far.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,936

Post#900 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:54 am

I've just watched, back to back and almost by chance, two movies centered around rape.

The first is "Test Pattern" (2019), which takes a serious approach to the issue. Very well acted, I didn't know any of the actors (the main actress doesn't even have a Wikipedia page). I love it when an independent film hits it out of the park.

Then I re-watched "Promising Young Woman" (2020), which has a black comedy approach to it. Not sure how you can pull off a story about rape sprinkled with some humour, but this one does. Lots of familiar faces in it, but Carey Mulligan steals the show as usual.

Both movies highly recommended.

Return to Boston Celtics