ImageImageImage

Luke "Green Kornet" Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,996

Re: Luke "Green Kornet" Thread 

Post#201 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 3:34 pm

ParticleMan wrote:Queta is better than Kornet, he just doesn't know the system like Luke does. Kornet is a heady player who is usually in the right place. But that doesn't matter much if guys can just barrell through you anyways. And if you can't get a rebound to save your life.

I never thought Kornet provided much rim protection. He gets blocks because guys aren't expecting it and he's tall, but it's totally different to Rob where guys were literally afraid to challenge him. If Rob got challenged as much as Kornet does he'd have 5 bpg.

That's basically it. -- Kornet knows the Celtics System better. But, Queta is a better player.
I can see them both having a place, this year. As time goes on though, Kornet becomes more and more expendable.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#202 » by 165bows » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:
165bows wrote:
Homerclease wrote:This never happened.

Remember when Kabengele got burn with the first stringers and actually looked good when doing so?

That didn’t happen either. Queta earned his spot, and Kornet played himself out of his spot.

There were tons of people that posted that bro, expectations were he was going to get a real chance to get burn.

And no fault found he looked great and people were excited about him playing. What I’m saying is that it isn’t that hard to listen to the people that run the team and figure out what is going to happen.

Nobody posted that Kabengele was going to start over Horford or Rob last year. That’s just flat out fiction.

Lol bro Rob didn’t play until almost Christmas.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#203 » by sam_I_am » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:29 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ParticleMan wrote:Queta is better than Kornet, he just doesn't know the system like Luke does. Kornet is a heady player who is usually in the right place. But that doesn't matter much if guys can just barrell through you anyways. And if you can't get a rebound to save your life.

I never thought Kornet provided much rim protection. He gets blocks because guys aren't expecting it and he's tall, but it's totally different to Rob where guys were literally afraid to challenge him. If Rob got challenged as much as Kornet does he'd have 5 bpg.

That's basically it. -- Kornet knows the Celtics System better. But, Queta is a better player.
I can see them both having a place, this year. As time goes on though, Kornet becomes more and more expendable.

Queta has an offensive rating of 136 and defensive rating of 81 in preseason so far which is astounding even for a small sample size. If this is anything close to reality he will take the job from Kornet.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#204 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:29 pm

Homerclease wrote:
shackles10 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:What? He gets hate because he’s not an NBA caliber basketball player. The same way Semi got hate when he was a rotation player and the Celtics got played off the court every time he was in.

He’s getting more hate this year than last for sure. He’s not a worse player than he was last year and if anything he’s now got a season of analytics and game footage to show his value (yes I’m using that term very loosely). The stakes are just higher this year, and backup big is more of a hole than last year too. Look, I have made posts about the discussion might come to where we convert Queta and I said Kornet was the one I’d want gone and keep Wenyen over him. That didn’t happen, and seems less likely now. Basically I’m at peace with it because whether we’re relying on Kornet for big stretches or whoever his mystery replacement would be we’re pretty screwed and neither is saving us.

We’re spending a ton on our top 5 plus Al. Roster construction alone says this spot won’t be filled by a guy all that great.

He got less hate last year because he wasn’t being counted on to be in the rotation. Grant Williams was still here. That’s no longer the case. He gets hate now because he has no business being in a rotation on a championship caliber team.

Kornet was in the rotation plenty last season. He was 5th on the team in games played with 69. 39 of those games (more than half) he played 12 or more minutes. Our record in those 39 games was 22-7 (a .758 winning percentage). Our record in the games where he played less than 12 mins or didn't play at all? 15-18 (a .660 winning percentage).

On the season, Kornet was 8th on our team in BPM, finishing ahead of Smart, Grant and Pritchard. Kornet had a blocks % of 4.9 (tied for 11th in the NBA) and just a hair under Time Lord's blocks % of 5.0.

Kornet got plenty of rotation minutes, especially in games where Al was sitting out on back to back to backs and when Rob was out (he only played in 35 of 82 games).

Grant didn't play much at center for us. Grant being gone just means more mins for guys like Hauser, Brissett/Stevens. Perhaps more mins at the 4 for Tatum, Porzingis can play some of those mins at the 4. We'll see how many mins Queta gets, etc..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#205 » by Hal14 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:43 pm

Homerclease wrote:Queta earned his spot, and Kornet played himself out of his spot.

Eh, idk about that.

While Queta possibly outplayed Kornet in preseason, let's consider the context:

1) I don't think our coaching staff thinks that the small preseason sample size (Queta played just 3 games and 11 MPG in preseason) is going to outweigh last season when Queta was stuck in g league for most of the season, barely got in any NBA games for the Kings, while Kornet got lots of rotation mins for the Celtics, playing in 69 games (5th highest amount on the team).

2) Kornet had a rest night for the last preseason game. But he played in all 4 of the other preseason games. He went in to the game before Queta in all of those games, including 1 game where he played a lot and Queta was a DNP-CD. Kornet played 59 mins in preseason, but only 34 mins for Queta.

3) Kornet played a higher % of his preseason minutes vs the opposing team's starters and key reserves. Queta played a higher % of his preseason minutes vs 3rd stringers and guys who will be in the g league this season. The difference in competition they were facing can help explain why Queta seemed to play better than Kornet.

4) Joe was quoted during interviews saying that the 3rd big spot is Luke's. and the minutes distribution and rotations he used during preseason back that up.

With that being said, I do think Queta has a shot to pass Kornet on the depth chart this season. But I think as of now, Kornet is the 3rd big and Queta is the 4th big.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,150

Post#206 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:44 pm

Chile Korny is going nowhere, that doesn’t mean I gotta like it. JB is still here and there are a lot of folk that don’t like it. We’ll get over it. :D
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,079

Post#207 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:46 pm

Luke Kornet is going to play at least 720 minutes in the regular season (60 games x 12 mpg) and y'all are going to have to swallow it.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#208 » by playa-hater » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:09 pm

I recommend letting our 3RD center rotate accordingly. Kornet plays 3rd string for 2 games in a row. Then Queta plays 3rd string 2 games in a row. Proceed for 1 or 2 months if necessary. After about that time I'd be willing to bet Queta would clearly emerge as the better or more impactful player. Having Queta sit behind Kornet and only play in garbage time will never allow him to properly develop. Might work in reverse since garbage time usually makes everyone look bad.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,526

Post#209 » by snowman » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:16 am

Kornet is 7'1, 250 lbs. and for someone who is supposed to know the schemes of the team, he sure does look lost out there. I though the fact that he was so familiar with his assignments was the reason he got the 3rd big spot. 2 games, 19 total minutes for a grand total pf 0 points on 1 shot attempt, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, but had 2 turnovers, 1 foul for a total of -11. And this was against 2 of their 2-way players tonight. At this point I would MUCH rather have Queta, Knight, Stevens or even Brissett playing the 5. Pretty sure that any of these four would put up better numbers and play much better defense. I'm already tired of the Kornet Kontest. The only reason he does it is because he is so far out of position to do anything else, he has to at least LOOK like he's trying. He can't score, he's ground bound on defense, and gets pushed out of the box by much smaller opposing players. He's funny and seems to be great for the locker room, but it's time for him to be replaced. Not a fan. We have better options from our bench and 2-way guys.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#210 » by captain green » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:13 am

I nominate him for worse player in the NBA .
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#211 » by jirrit » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:37 am

captain green wrote:I nominate him for worse player in the NBA .

He's not rotation worthy and don't see what they keep seeing in him.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#212 » by Fierce1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:49 am

jirrit wrote:

:lol:
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#213 » by 165bows » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:51 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
jirrit wrote:

Not sure if it's willful obstinance here or what. This team loves big men with ball skills.

Kornet's been bad so far (he wasn't good to start the year last year either and ended up being totally fine), but he's also got the fifth best assist rate on the team.

It's not that complicated as people like to make it out to be.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#214 » by jfs1000d » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:30 pm

Kornet is fine. He is the 3rd center on the team. He is a 10 minute a game guy max. He is a zero minute playoff guy. Why are we so worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Re: Luke 

Post#215 » by Fierce1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:40 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Kornet is fine. He is the 3rd center on the team. He is a 10 minute a game guy max. He is a zero minute playoff guy. Why are we so worried?

Because KP and Al will have to play more if the 3rd Center is useless.

And it's a bigger risk in the playoffs if Kornet is a zero minute playoff guy because what if KP or Al misses time in the playoffs.
jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#216 » by jirrit » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:53 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Kornet is fine. He is the 3rd center on the team. He is a 10 minute a game guy max. He is a zero minute playoff guy. Why are we so worried?

Cause he's one injury to Horford/KP away from having to play 25+ mins a game :o He should be the fourth in line, not the 3th, that's exactly the problem.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#217 » by shackles10 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:06 pm

Safe to say Kornet jersey sales are low?
Riverwalk2021
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,485

Post#218 » by Riverwalk2021 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:49 pm

People can throw out all the advanced stats from last season they want to make this guy look servicable. The eye test says he's a SCRUB. He can't play. I'd say there's a good chance he's gone during the season. We're trying to win a championship, not tank.
“Sorry, folks. Brad Stevens made his first major mistake as GM. The Derrick White trade is a disaster.”
jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#219 » by jirrit » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:42 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
jirrit wrote:

is that some kinda grammar mistake or what am I missing?
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,402

Post#220 » by Homerclease » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:41 pm

He’s not fine, he’s unplayable

Return to Boston Celtics