ImageImageImage

Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Drax
Analyst
And1: 2,973

Re: Celtics Asst Coaches – Sam Cassell & Charles Lee Join Celtics as Assistants 

Post#401 » by Drax » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:i think a big man coach would be really good but then again, i bet people would be asking for al to be on the staff in that position if he was no longer playing. we already have him on the team, we aren't in dire need of a coach.

I actually think we're in need of an X's and O's coach, seems to me we have now a mix of coach who the players can relate to, some defense, some player development but not actually a true tactian.
Boston Celtics depth chart:

Guards: Holiday, White, Pritchard
Wings: Tatum, Brown, Hauser, Brissett
Bigs: Porzingis, Horford
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,507

Post#402 » by BK_2020 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:37 pm

cloverleaf wrote:When I suggested a former big-man player as a coach, I didn't have in mind a 30yo Tatum pal who washed out of the league after 142 minutes played and has only coached at the college level.

We need Dino Radja!
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,219

Post#403 » by 31to6 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:11 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

He was signed to an Exhibit 10 deal with the Cs back in December 2020. Tatum and Jefferson are TIGHT.

Tatum runs this franchise lol

we should recognize that he does.
Roster decisions, coaching decisions, where to hold training camp, what T shirts to put in the stands -- I'm sure it's all run by and maybe through JT.
But this Amile Jefferson thing made me do a real double take. Fine with it, but wow!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,851

Post#404 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:45 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:So it's Amile Jefferson, Phil Pressey, Charles Lee, Sam Cassell, and Joe? Is that it?

Read on Twitter

Plus, last I heard Aaron Miles is 50/50 on whether he will be back. He may join Ime in Houston, or he may take a job with a different team.

But so far, we lost 5 coaches (Udoka, Stoudemire and the 3 who are going to Houston with Udoka) and we've hired 4 guys to replace them. Plus, we may lose Miles too..

Will Hardy too. And Mazzulla. Makes 7.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,851

Post#405 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Jun 22, 2023 5:41 am

Pressey being on the team and Smart not two months after this video wasn't on my bingo card.
Read on Twitter
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#406 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:44 am

Forget Phil Pressey! If Payton Pritchard's hanging around, make him a player coach and assign him two hours a day with JB and Jordan Walsh, leading them in his dribbling and FT drills.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,946

Post#407 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:46 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:So it's Amile Jefferson, Phil Pressey, Charles Lee, Sam Cassell, and Joe? Is that it?

Read on Twitter

Plus, last I heard Aaron Miles is 50/50 on whether he will be back. He may join Ime in Houston, or he may take a job with a different team.

But so far, we lost 5 coaches (Udoka, Stoudemire and the 3 who are going to Houston with Udoka) and we've hired 4 guys to replace them. Plus, we may lose Miles too..

Will Hardy too. And Mazzulla. Makes 7.

Don't count both Udoka and Mazzula as gone. Udoka is gone if we count coaches. Mazzula is gone if we count assistant coaches. But they aren't both gone ... as much as some posters might wish otherwise. ;)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#408 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:53 am

Dobbins to coach SL. He started in the video room with the C's in 2020, so another Brad guy--as, of course, would be Phil Pressey, too.

Seems like Joe never got around to meeting or connecting with any coaches around the league.
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,976

Post#409 » by darrendaye » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Who's the shooting coach?
Amile the de facto big man coach or will they not carry one?
IMO, this year is very important to have a big man coach to continue Porzingis' recent improvement in the post and to give Rob a better idea too.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#410 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:23 pm

darrendaye wrote:Who's the shooting coach?
Amile the de facto big man coach or will they not carry one?
IMO, this year is very important to have a big man coach to continue Porzingis' recent improvement in the post and to give Rob a better idea too.

I thought they were all supposed to be shooting coaches, with each assigned a couple of guys to work with individually.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#411 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:39 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Dobbins to coach SL. He started in the video room with the C's in 2020, so another Brad guy--as, of course, would be Phil Pressey, too.

Seems like Joe never got around to meeting or connecting with any coaches around the league.

Yeah. Joe gets to decide who his subordinates are, but he's deciding from among candidates sent over by HR. :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#412 » by cloverleaf » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:48 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:Dobbins to coach SL. He started in the video room with the C's in 2020, so another Brad guy--as, of course, would be Phil Pressey, too.

Yeah. Joe gets to decide who his subordinates are, but he's deciding from among candidates sent over by HR. :)

Ha ha--exactly!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#413 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:08 am

We really need a big-man short-range shooting coach of some kind. Rob and Al were both disappointments in that respect last season, and word on Porzingis is that the same has been true of him in the past.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#414 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:35 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:We really need a big-man short-range shooting coach of some kind. Rob and Al were both disappointments in that respect last season, and word on Porzingis is that the same has been true of him in the past.

I agree with you but who stands out in the field as a big man coach? Could bring in Ewing but I doubt he'd be interested since he's busy collecting his golden parachute from Georgetown. I remember the old days of Clifford Ray. The big man is a lost art in the league.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,380

Post#415 » by chrisab123 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:37 am

BK_2020 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:When I suggested a former big-man player as a coach, I didn't have in mind a 30yo Tatum pal who washed out of the league after 142 minutes played and has only coached at the college level.

We need Dino Radja!

Dino would be a tremendous Health and Nutrition coach.

Tired after practice? Cigarette

Go to the weight room? Nah just have a Cigarette

Win a game? Cigar

I'm in!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#416 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:23 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:We really need a big-man short-range shooting coach of some kind. Rob and Al were both disappointments in that respect last season, and word on Porzingis is that the same has been true of him in the past.

I agree with you but who stands out in the field as a big man coach? Could bring in Ewing but I doubt he'd be interested since he's busy collecting his golden parachute from Georgetown. I remember the old days of Clifford Ray. The big man is a lost art in the league.

Nobody realistic jumps to mind.

My unrealistic thoughts start:

-- Kevin McHale, who had the skills, and has kept up with changes to the game enough to know to change emphasis away from what was crucially important only in the old days.
-- A certain ex-Celtic who, when he was a young player on another team, had that team's GM tag in as his de facto position coach. (Hint: That guy is named "Kevin" too.)

Wait: How about Tyler Zeller? He was pretty alert offensively. I presume he had great high school coaching, considering how well his whole family did. He spent 4 years at UNC before the pros. And of course he has brothers to compare experiences with.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,507

Post#417 » by BK_2020 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:25 pm

chrisab123 wrote:

-- Kevin McHale, who had the skills, and has kept up with changes to the game enough to know to change emphasis away from what was crucially important only in the old days.
-- A certain ex-Celtic who, when he was a young player on another team, had that team's GM tag in as his de facto position coach. (Hint: That guy is named "Kevin" too.)

Kevin Gamble would be a great addition to the bench.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#418 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:30 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:

Kevin Gamble would be a great addition to the bench.

:D

Not exactly who I was hinting at, but you got the first two letters right!
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24 

Post#419 » by captain green » Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:26 am

Why are we trying to develop coaches in the jays prime imagine if we had a championship caliber coach lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Re: Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24 

Post#420 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:03 pm

captain green wrote:Why are we trying to develop coaches in the jays prime imagine if we had a championship caliber coach lol

Which experienced coach has made a significant championship difference on a new team. Larry Brown? Anybody more recent? Every championship coach I can think of for over a decade was either:

-- A rookie coach when he took the job.
-- Quickly fired after winning the championship.

Return to Boston Celtics