ImageImageImage

Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,226

Celtics Asst Coaches, 2023-24 

Post#1 » by Hal14 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:32 pm

Celtics expected to retain Mazzulla as coach:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271735/Celtics-Expected-To-Retain-Joe-Mazzulla#:~:text=The%20Boston%20Celtics%20are%20expected,permanent%20head%20coach%20in%20February.

3 assistants are expected to join Udoka in Houston:
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/report-three-celtics-assistants-expected-join-ime-udokas-rockets-staff

Who should Brad and Joe hire to fill out the staff?

Cassell is hired - woo!

Who else should we get?

Here's a list of potential targets, not really in any order..

-JJ Redick
-Rajon Rondo
-Mike D'Antoni
-Mike Budenholzer
-Charles Lee
-James Posey
-Doc Rivers
-Derek Fisher
-Steve Nash
-John Lucas
-Jay Larranaga
-Evan Turner
-Nate McMillan
-Phil Pressey
-Rasheed Wallace
-Lloyd Pierce
-Dave Joeger
-Jerome Allen
-Mahmoud Abdelfattah
-Scott Brooks
-Scott Skiles
-Patrick Ewing
-Ryan Gomes
-Kevin Garnett
-Blake Griffin
-Hal14

My picks?

Silas - his dad played for us and he was seen hanging out with Brad recently at the Celtics facility, plus has some HC experience. Young guy who's black so he can relate to the players

Cassell - lots of experience as an assistant, won 3 rings as a player, including 1 with the Celtics, former player who can relate to our players

Redick - Tatum will love it because he's a Duke legend, seems like a smart guy when he does analysis on basketball podcasts and on TV, young guy and former player who can relate to our guys. Plus, he's one of the best shooters of all time, so he can take over as shooting coach, with Ben Sullivan probably leaving for Houston

I'd put Vogel in there, but seems like a decent chance he lands a HC gig. Also, he might not be cool with being an assistant for a guy he has much more HC experience than

D'Antoni would also be good, but he also might not be cool with being an assistant to a guy he has much more HC experience than - plus he's getting really old so might not want to coach anymore.

Updates:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
sprash9802
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,321

Re: Who Should We Hire for Assistant Coaches? 

Post#2 » by sprash9802 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:36 pm

Hal14 wrote:Celtics expected to retain Mazzulla as coach:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/271735/Celtics-Expected-To-Retain-Joe-Mazzulla#:~:text=The%20Boston%20Celtics%20are%20expected,permanent%20head%20coach%20in%20February.

3 assistants are expected to join Udoka in Houston:
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/report-three-celtics-assistants-expected-join-ime-udokas-rockets-staff

Who should Brad and Joe hire to fill out the staff?

Here's a list of potential targets, not really in any order..

-Stephen Silas
-Dave Joeger
-Charles Lee
-Jerome Allen
-Frank Vogel
-Jarron Collins
-Mike D'Antoni
-Sam Cassell
-Lloyd Pierce
-James Borrego
-Jay Larranaga
-JJ Redick
-Rasheed Wallace
-John Lucas
-Mahmoud Abdelfattah

Fire Joe first and start over. Dude cannot come back.
'Mate, you just dropped the World Cup'
-Steve Waugh, the Australian captain, after S. African fielder Herschelle Gibbs dropped his catch in the 1999 Cricket World Cup in England. Australia went on to win the World Cup.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,908

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 31, 2023 8:49 pm

Sheed is a coach?

Specializing in what -- referee relations???
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,716

Post#4 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed May 31, 2023 8:51 pm

Joe isn't getting fired. Silas seems like a lock, the way people are talking about him and his public appearance here during the playoffs, which I'm cool with because his offense with Carlisle and Luka was #1 in the NBA.

The rest of the assistants should be **** who scream at the players that they're entitled and aren't good enough, because apparently this team needs that attitude towards them 24/7 lol
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,344

Post#5 » by hugepatsfan » Wed May 31, 2023 8:58 pm

Silas and Vogel seem like good options. One an offensive guy, one defensive.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,875

Post#6 » by Jammer » Wed May 31, 2023 9:00 pm

The only person on your list that I'd want is Frank Vogel. But he's better than Joe.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,139

Post#7 » by 31to6 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:12 pm

don't honestly know, depends on relationships and fit. Success in this is essential for Joe, and would put pressure on Brad if he muffs it.

but I'll toss a throw-back-Wednesday vote out there for James Posey who Wikipedia tells me was an assistant for the Wizards last year.
I love Pose, and any time you can poach a coach from the Wiz, you do it;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,082

Post#8 » by Ed Pinkney » Wed May 31, 2023 9:16 pm

Vogel would be a great choice if he doesn’t get one of the head coach positions he has been mentioned with.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#9 » by Hal14 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:18 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Sheed is a coach?

Yeah. JUst 1 year as an assistant with the Pistons and 1 year as an assistant at Memphis University, on the staff with penny Hardaway and Larry Brown.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,305

Post#10 » by djFan71 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:24 pm

With secondary responsibilities of making sure the ball don't lie.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,588

Post#11 » by 165bows » Wed May 31, 2023 9:25 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:Joe isn't getting fired. Silas seems like a lock, the way people are talking about him and his public appearance here during the playoffs, which I'm cool with because his offense with Carlisle and Luka was #1 in the NBA.

The rest of the assistants should be **** who scream at the players that they're entitled and aren't good enough, because apparently this team needs that attitude towards them 24/7 lol

Yeah Silas seems like a for sure.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by djFan71 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:26 pm

Vogel and Silas kinda seem like fait accompli at this point. Pierce is an interesting one as well.

I liked CHA offense in those preseason games under Borrego a few years back, but doesn't seem like it carried over. They were moving and passing like crazy tho.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by djFan71 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:28 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Yeah. JUst 1 year as an assistant with the Pistons and 1 year as an assistant at Memphis University, on the staff with penny Hardaway and Larry Brown.

What a weird coaching staff for a smaller D1 school. I know they've cranked out some centers lately, but just not the school you'd expect to have those level names.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,452

Post#14 » by threrf23 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:32 pm

If Joe is still head coach and Brad is still GM, I'm not sure I even care.

Having said that, Sheed sticks out as a possibly good option, and maybe Cassell if those guys are interested. I am against Pierce and Vogel, Pierce seems to be a beta and he has a questionable track record as both head and assitant coach, Vogel was an Obie protege who overvalues the 3 ball and hasn't accomplished that much as a coach.

Even where those guys might have strengths, I don't think they complement Joe at all. They strike me as guys that Brad would want to bring in, and Joe's problem is that he seems to emulate Brad, whereas Brad was an incompetent coach who is also an incompetent leader who wouldn't demand respect from anybody with self respect.

Needless to say, I am anti-Larranga.

I want someone who has been a part of winning teams and has been around elite coaches - as a player or a coach - and who is willing to be outspoken and speak his mind where he thinks Joe is incompetent and not doing his job, who is willing to call out players, etc...hence why Sheed stuck out as a guy I'd like to have around. If we were talking head coach, I'm not sure he would be a good option, but as an assistant, he would serve a real purpose.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,304

Post#15 » by BK_2020 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 pm

Rasheed Wallace, Antoine Walker, Evan Turner, and Paul Pierce.

Edit: Gilbert Arenas
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,908

Post#16 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed May 31, 2023 9:48 pm

Most of the Celtics' problems in recent years have boiled down to "They don't play the right way when the other team is locked-in".

Joe and the players are well aware of parts of the cause -- getting bored, getting "apprehensive", etc. But there also seems to be part of the problem that's teaching/rehearsal/intellectual/scheme -- when the opponent defeats their preferred schemes, they're not comfortable enough with alternate schemes to execute them well under pressure. Ditto when personnel need to change due to injury or ineffectiveness.

Coaching, regular season game planning, and regular season rotations need to teach that flexibility.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,452

Post#17 » by threrf23 » Wed May 31, 2023 9:52 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:

While I generally agree with this, just want to add that talk is cheap. IMO we need a head coach who will act in accordance with his words, who will decide what is needed and stand his ground, who will take his responsibilities as HC seriously and adapt if what he is doing is not working, rather than hiding behind philosophies he doesn't even fully understand and blindly sticking to what doesn't work.

Hence, I want assistants who will call Joe out.

Talk without action IMO is why Brad lost the locker room's respect and why Joe will lose it if he hasn't lost it yet.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,876

Post#18 » by playa-hater » Wed May 31, 2023 9:53 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Most of the Celtics' problems in recent years have boiled down to "They don't play the right way when the other team is locked-in".

Joe and the players are well aware of parts of the cause -- getting bored, getting "apprehensive", etc. But there also seems to be part of the problem that's teaching/rehearsal/intellectual/scheme -- when the opponent defeats their preferred schemes, they're not comfortable enough with alternate schemes to execute them well under pressure. Ditto when personnel need to change due to injury or ineffectiveness.

Coaching, regular season game planning, and regular season rotations need to teach that flexibility.

So in other words, "JOE MUST GO!!"
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,322

Post#19 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed May 31, 2023 10:19 pm

Lots of candidates on RGM alone. I throw my name in the hat as well. For free game tickets and unimpeded access to their food table.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#20 » by Hal14 » Wed May 31, 2023 11:08 pm

Let's hire Borrego quick, before Ime does!

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics