ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Kristaps Porzingis!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,911

Re: Welcome to Boston, Kristaps Porzingis! 

Post#661 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:05 am

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#662 » by shackles10 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:11 pm

I expected "The Journey of a Unicorn" to be animated. Maybe I can convince my 5 year old to rewatch this after work.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#663 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:35 am

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,004

Post#664 » by Fierce1 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 2:47 pm

JT says KP is his Pau Gasol.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#665 » by Deivork » Thu Feb 1, 2024 10:00 pm

Fierce1 wrote:JT says KP is his Pau Gasol.

Prove it, Jayson.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#666 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Feb 7, 2024 5:27 pm

Read on Twitter
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Post#667 » by steefP2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:57 pm

I come bearing stats courtesy of the gods of Synergy Sports.

Top post up creators including passes on at least 100 Post ups

A porzingis post up is roughly 140 ortg, which makes it a more efficient play than a transition opportunity for the league's best transition teams. In fact, of any specific play with more then 140 reps, a porzingis post up is THE most efficient play in the nba, second being Curry coming off a screen and third a Kawhi Iso.

He is WRECKING stuff. Ofc plays like Kawhi isos or curry coming off screens are much easier to get to, since the Celtics have to do all the work of getting the switch and making a successful entry pass etc whereas a Kawhi iso is just give the ball to kawhi and clear out.

Still though, an absolutely insane weapon. These stats include passes made from the post ups so that's why they are different (more complete) than those from NBA.com. Also of note that an insane 27% of Porzingis post up result in a foul drawn, an absolutely nuts rate.

This tidbit is from Jared Dubin's substack:

"KP is routinely devouring teams that guard him with smaller players either in the post or when they try to switch pick and rolls. In fact, he has been the single-most efficient scorer this season both from the post (1.58 points per possession), and on pick-and-roll switches when he gets the ball (1.63), according to Second Spectrum."
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#668 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:19 pm

steefP2 wrote:I come bearing stats courtesy of the gods of Synergy Sports.

A porzingis post up is roughly 140 ortg, which makes it a more efficient play than a transition opportunity for the league's best transition teams. In fact, of any specific play with more then 140 reps, a porzingis post up is THE most efficient play in the nba, second being Curry coming off a screen and third a Kawhi Iso.

He is WRECKING stuff. Ofc plays like Kawhi isos or curry coming off screens are much easier to get to, since the Celtics have to do all the work of getting the switch and making a successful entry pass etc whereas a Kawhi iso is just give the ball to kawhi and clear out.

Still though, an absolutely insane weapon. These stats include passes made from the post ups so that's why they are different (more complete) than those from NBA.com. Also of note that an insane 27% of Porzingis post up result in a foul drawn, an absolutely nuts rate.

"KP is routinely devouring teams that guard him with smaller players either in the post or when they try to switch pick and rolls. In fact, he has been the single-most efficient scorer this season both from the post (1.58 points per possession), and on pick-and-roll switches when he gets the ball (1.63), according to Second Spectrum."

Thanks for this.

Is it possible to check PPP for White-KP and Tatum-KP PnR, including passes?
steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#669 » by steefP2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:44 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Thanks for this.

Is it possible to check PPP for White-KP and Tatum-KP PnR, including passes?

This is via a friend so I don’t have direct acces to it but he’s working on comprehensive play data so when I have that; I will post it somewhere visible. Just not sure when that will be. Soonish though
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#670 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:11 am

KP always was insane, but concealed by the two severe contact injuries.

Yes, Jokic is the basketball genius of their generation. But KP (with AD, f'sure) up there for being transcendent bigs of that age group.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,764

Post#671 » by KamikazeK » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:52 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:KP always was insane, but concealed by the two severe contact injuries.

Yes, Jokic is the basketball genius of their generation. But KP (with AD, f'sure) up there for being transcendent bigs of that age group.

Agreed. Porzingis is honestly exactly the guy we needed on this team. Players like Rob Williams were just "good enough replacements" for the most part.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#672 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:04 pm

KamikazeK wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:KP always was insane, but concealed by the two severe contact injuries.

Agreed. Porzingis is honestly exactly the guy we needed on this team. Players like Rob Williams were just "good enough replacements" for the most part.

Now, whether that gets Boston to championship level is a difficult question.

I think Denver will be desperately hard to beat, even in the abstract, for whoever makes the finals from the East and my preconception is that whoever that is will have had a much tougher route to get to the finals.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#673 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:02 am

I heard something similar on BS Podcast...

20 ppg, 8 rpg, 1 bpg on 60% TS% since 2020-21 -- Giannis, Embiid, Porzingis. That's the list.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#674 » by 165bows » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:34 pm

Usually the most efficient guy from the post is not nearly that high either. In other words, even the best post guys are only 1.1-1.2 or something, just solid regular offense numbers.

That's best by a huge margin kind of numbers, like shooting better than 50% from three kind of efficiency.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#675 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:47 am

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#676 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:32 am

Read on Twitter
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,594

Post#677 » by bisme37 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 4:36 pm

doogie_hauser
Senior
And1: 788

Post#678 » by doogie_hauser » Sun Feb 18, 2024 6:47 am

KP has been incredible for team chemistry

He and Jaylen should host their own podcast together, I know JB hasn't had a great past month, but he also (least as far as I can ascertain living afar in Australia) has not seem as settled or happy to be in Boston since he was drafted (Max contract aside, I get the impression he enjoys KP and his unique/quirky sense of humour)

I do wish refs could take care better of Zinger in the paint. He gets hacked so much..
steefP2
Lead Assistant

Post#679 » by steefP2 » Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:14 am

doogie_hauser wrote:KP has been incredible for team chemistry

He and Jaylen should host their own podcast together, I know JB hasn't had a great past month, but he also (least as far as I can ascertain living afar in Australia) has not seem as settled or happy to be in Boston since he was drafted (Max contract aside, I get the impression he enjoys KP and his unique/quirky sense of humour)

I do wish refs could take care better of Zinger in the paint. He gets hacked so much..

He's drawing fouls on 27% of his post ups, that's more than Embiid by 3%. I think the whistle is fine lol.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#680 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:46 pm

Fierce1 wrote:JT says KP is his Pau Gasol.

More like JB... Him and Brown seem to have crazy chemistry.. To me, it's like Brown's passing ability improved ever since Porzingis joined the C's.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics