ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#841 » by Hal14 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:13 pm

165bows wrote:
djFan71 wrote:CMB getting the hype right now:
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/collin-murray-boyles-is-begging-for

I'm sold, where do we sign.
Edit: super young too, still be 18 when the season is over.

Murray-Boyles is good. Intriguing combination of size, defense, strength, finishing ability near the basket, passing and basketball IQ.

Downside of course is that he's an undersized (6'7") PF/C type who is a non-shooter. And he also lacks the athleticism/explosiveness to catch lobs..

I think he may end up being a guy who returns to school for his sophomore season with the goal being to really work on his shooting (from 3, from mid range and from the FT line..really the only place he can make shots right now is at the rim) and possibly also try dropping a few pounds to try and get a little bit quicker..

He's so young that it wouldn't hurt his draft stock much to return to school..

I'd like to see us get a big who can shoot..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#842 » by djFan71 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:06 am

Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:
djFan71 wrote:CMB getting the hype right now:
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/collin-murray-boyles-is-begging-for

I'm sold, where do we sign.

Murray-Boyles is good. Intriguing combination of size, defense, strength, finishing ability near the basket, passing and basketball IQ.

Downside of course is that he's an undersized (6'7") PF/C type who is a non-shooter. And he also lacks the athleticism/explosiveness to catch lobs..

I think he may end up being a guy who returns to school for his sophomore season with the goal being to really work on his shooting (from 3, from mid range and from the FT line..really the only place he can make shots right now is at the rim) and possibly also try dropping a few pounds to try and get a little bit quicker..

Shades of Tillman. We need a Horford replacement replacement waiting in the wings, lol.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#843 » by Hal14 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:30 am

djFan71 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:I'm sold, where do we sign.

Shades of Tillman. We need a Horford replacement replacement waiting in the wings, lol.

Murray-Boyles does have shades of Tillman - I agree with that..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#844 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 2, 2024 4:22 pm

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Murray-Boyles is good. Intriguing combination of size, defense, strength, finishing ability near the basket, passing and basketball IQ.

Yup, was going to say the same - thing is, shooting is the most variable and improvable skill. Into the second round I’d roll the dice with a good but vertically limited athlete with good skills and physicality and see what happens.

Basically the big strong/skill version of what they just did with picking Walsh.

In other words I’m fine with this team gambling to hit “really good, versatile role player” upside whereas a rebuilding team is better off taking a swing at these higher ceiling lower floor types.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#845 » by Hal14 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:17 am

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Shades of Tillman. We need a Horford replacement replacement waiting in the wings, lol.

Yup, was going to say the same - thing is, shooting is the most variable and improvable skill. Into the second round I’d roll the dice with a good but vertically limited athlete with good skills and physicality and see what happens.

Basically the big strong/skill version of what they just did with picking Walsh.

Sure, but at least Walsh had *some* upside as a shooter.

Walsh freshman year:27.8% from 3, 2.0 attempts per game, 71.2% FT
Murray Boyles freshman year: 0% from 3, 0.2 attempts per game, 65% FT
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#846 » by 165bows » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:16 pm

Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Murray-Boyles does have shades of Tillman - I agree with that..

Sure, but at least Walsh had *some* upside as a shooter.

Walsh freshman year:27.8% from 3, 2.0 attempts per game, 71.2% FT
Murray Boyles freshman year: 0% from 3, 0.2 attempts per game, 65% FT

Sure but that’s kind of overselling it. Walsh was a bottom of the basement tier offensive performer in every category as an 18-at-season-end freshman.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#847 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 3:23 am

PJ Hall continues to grow on me as a potential pick for us.

I honestly don't even think it'd really be a reach if we took him at 30.

But I think we'll trade that pick and probably grab someone in the 35-50 range. Hall could be really good value there.

As I was mentioning the other day, I'd like to see us draft a big who can shoot. Since our offense relies a lot on shooting/spacing. The guys we’ve had recently who have been young guys to actually get consistent rotation mins (Grant, Hauser, Pritchard) have all been shooters. And we already have a couple bigs who aren’t shooters (Kornet, Tillman)

Hauser and Pritchard were both elite shooters in college. Grant was just ok as a shooter in college but he really worked his tail off in BOS to get better at his shooting.

PJ Hall seems to be a better shooter than Grant was in college but not as good as Hauser/Pritchard.

One of the best indicators of 3 pt shooting performance in the future is past 3PA volume. Hall has really been letting it fly, especially lately. He's taken 24 threes in his last 5 games (4.8 3PA/game) which is really good volume for a 6'10" big man in college. And he's made 9 of those shots, which is 37.5%.

FT% is of course another good indicator for shooting projection. His 4 yrs in college he's shot 75% FT as a freshman, then 78.1% as a sophomore, and each of the last 2 yrs he's at 78.6%.

Last season as a junior he shot 39.8% from 3.

He's solid defensively, he's got solid passing for a big. He can drive and kick..run DHO. Can finish strong around the basket. Age 22 on draft night which limits his ceiling but Pritchard and Hauser were both like 23 when drafted so we've had some success with older guys who are further along in their development, more NBA-ready, not long term development projects.

I kind of see Hall as like a big man version of Pritchard/Hauser. All 3 were guys who were 4 year college players, were all projected 2nd round picks, or undrafted in Hauser's case (we picked Pritchard higher than he was projected). White guys who could shoot, good fundamentals, high basketball IQ, plays hard, plays the game the right way, nothing flashy, just gets it done - but lacking in crazy athleticism, explosiveness, leaping and is just average (or undersized) in size for their position.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#848 » by 165bows » Thu Mar 7, 2024 9:32 am

Hal14 wrote:PJ Hall continues to grow on me as a potential pick for us.

But I think we'll trade that pick and probably grab someone in the 35-50 range. Hall could be really good value there.

As I was mentioning the other day, I'd like to see us draft a big who can shoot. Since our offense relies a lot on shooting/spacing. The guys we’ve had recently who have been young guys to actually get consistent rotation mins (Grant, Hauser, Pritchard) have all been shooters. And we already have a couple bigs who aren’t shooters (Kornet, Tillman)

Hauser and Pritchard were both elite shooters in college. Grant was just ok as a shooter in college but he really worked his tail off in BOS to get better at his shooting.

PJ Hall seems to be a better shooter than Grant was in college but not as good as Hauser/Pritchard.

One of the best indicators of 3 pt shooting performance in the future is past 3PA volume. Hall has really been letting it fly, especially lately. He's taken 24 threes in his last 5 games (4.8 3PA/game) which is really good volume for a 6'10" big man in college. And he's made 9 of those shots, which is 37.5%.

FT% is of course another good indicator for shooting projection. His 4 yrs in college he's shot 75% FT as a freshman, then 78.1% as a sophomore, and each of the last 2 yrs he's at 78.6%.

He's solid defensively, he's got solid passing for a big. He can drive and kick..run DHO. Can finish strong around the basket. Age 22 on draft night which limits his ceiling but Pritchard and Hauser were both like 23 when drafted so we've had some success with older guys who are further along in their development, more NBA-ready, not long term development projects.

Yeah this guy has some intrigue to him for sure. Seems physical and athletic, more so than a lot of the typical late first/early second big men who are either strong or finesse or athletic, rarely a combo.

What do you think of this guy? Has some shooting developing to do but fits a stretch 4 3+D role guy mode.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-keshad-johnson-scouting-report-arizona-wildcats-basketball
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,866

Post#849 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Mar 7, 2024 12:57 pm

If I am picking a bigman that deep in the draft, I am looking at Edy.

Although I dont think Bigman is a need.

Assuming Horford sticks for 1 more year, we have

Zinger, Horford, X, Kornet, Brissett, Queta

We have the same need we have always had, a penetrating guard who can go nuclear.

Guys like Sallis maybe?
;t=30s
Hal14
RealGM

Post#850 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:13 pm

Sallis is an intriguing option. The dude can ball. I have him ranked 21st on my big board though (personal rankings) so certainly wouldn't hate it if we scooped him up at pick 30 or. in the 2nd round, if he falls that far. I think there's a pretty good chance he'll be gone by our pick though.

Also, we're obviously in this window right now and for the next few years where we are gonna be serious contenders (top 3 team in the league) every year so I'm not really expecting a 2nd round pick (or someone at pick 30) to contribute in year 1.

I'm pretty much assuming that year 1 is a development year in the G league. And you hope that by year 2 (or even 3) he can compete for some real minutes.

So by the 2025-2026 season, there's a good chance Horford will be retired by that time. Kornet, Tillman and Queta are all FA this summer, so there's a chance none of them are still here by then. Brissett might be gone by then too (he just has a player option for next year) and he's not a big either (more of a wing).

And by that time, who knows how KP's body is holding up (knock on wood). I really hope we win the title this year, because I'm not sure how his body will hold up over the course of a long grueling season year after year if we keep him around - especially as he approaches age 30.

That's why I'd like to get a young (age 22 or under) big into our development pipeline now, so they are ready in a year or 2, when needed.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#851 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:19 pm

165bows wrote:

Yeah this guy has some intrigue to him for sure. Seems physical and athletic, more so than a lot of the typical late first/early second big men who are either strong or finesse or athletic, rarely a combo.

What do you think of this guy? Has some shooting developing to do but fits a stretch 4 3+D role guy mode.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/2024-nba-draft-keshad-johnson-scouting-report-arizona-wildcats-basketball

Keshad is interesting. Not sure if I trust the shooting since it's kind of low volume and this is the first season he has been hitting 3's, and he's like a 5th year senior.

He's solid, though. If things really break right for him he could be like a swiss army knife type of forward like a Nic Batum/Larry Nance Jr type. As of now, he's a little bit like Brissett. Tough, physical, doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Can play a role. Limited in terms of offensive skill but does have at least some offensive skill. I see him more as like an UDFA guy, but if he plays well enough rest of the season I could pencil him in as a 2nd rounder..
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#852 » by 165bows » Thu Mar 7, 2024 2:35 pm

Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:

Keshad is interesting. Not sure if I trust the shooting since it's kind of low volume and this is the first season he has been hitting 3's, and he's like a 5th year senior.

He's solid, though. If things really break right for him he could be like a swiss army knife type of forward like a Nic Batum/Larry Nance Jr type. As of now, he's a little bit like Brissett. Tough, physical, doesn't mind doing the dirty work. Can play a role. Limited in terms of offensive skill but does have at least some offensive skill. I see him more as like an UDFA guy, but if he plays well enough rest of the season I could pencil him in as a 2nd rounder..

Right, he (or someone similar) makes sense in the scenario you describe - kick the first round pick into something valuable in the future, and then see what solid role player can be had later in the draft.

This guy will probably be available at the Mavs 2nd round pick, and all he really needs is for his shooting to solidify and he'd be a nice bench piece. Probably would be okay as a two-way guy for a year or two as well which I think will be a big factor, some of these guys will try to land with clubs where they can get on a real roster right away which Boston may not want to do.

Ie they may need to find the right fit, a player that is okay developing for awhile.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#853 » by Hal14 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:16 pm

Keshad Johnson looked really good in last night's game. Hit 4 threes. High, pretty smooth release on his shot. Was solid on D..made some nice passes.

I've got him as a mid 2nd rounder on my board now.

Similar in size, position and kind of similar skill set to Walsh, though so idk about the fit for Boston since we already have Walsh..and already have Brissett (Keshad overlaps a bit w/ both of them)
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#854 » by 165bows » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:47 pm

Hal14 wrote:Keshad Johnson looked really good in last night's game. Hit 4 threes. High, pretty smooth release on his shot. Was solid on D..made some nice passes.

I've got him as a mid 2nd rounder on my board now.

Similar in size, position and kind of similar skill set to Walsh, though so idk about the fit for Boston since we already have Walsh..and already have Brissett (Keshad overlaps a bit w/ both of them)

Saw he had a pretty soft offensive game recently but they totally strangled UCLA on defense.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#855 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:51 am

Another name I'll throw out there..sticking with my theme that I'd like to see us draft a big who can shoot (and hopefully do other stuff good too)

Norchad Omier.

Really like the way this guy plays. He plays hard, he plays with a toughness, a fearlessness, plays with physicality.

Undersized big at just 6'7". But Brad has shown he doesn't mind bringing in bigs who are undersized (Al, Theis, Tillman, Time Lord, etc. only 6'8"). But he's got a 6'11" wingspan, he's built rugged at 254 lbs. But despite being heavy for a 6'7" guy, his mobility is really good. He's really quick getting up and down the floor for a dude that's 254 lbs.

Rebounding machine. Really impressive o-rebound and d-rebound % numbers in college. He's a beast on the boards.

He actually worked out for the Celtics last year before the draft..but he withdrew from the draft and returned for another year of college. It's pretty obvious what the feedback was that he got from NBA teams during the pre-draft process - "we need you to shoot!"

He went from basically a non-shooter during his 1st 3 years of college to 37.5% from 3 this season, on 2.1 attempts per game and 74.6% FT.

He's picking up the volume and efficiency from deep late in the season, too. 38.8% from 3 on 3.6 attempts per game over his last 5 games.

Good defender. More of a drop coverage big, but he has shown some flashes of switching out on the perimeter. And has had quite a few plays this season where he's jumped the passing lanes to steal passes out by the 3 point line (which of course he dunks it on the other end) but when you see a bunch of plays like that, it tells you that there's some potential to defend out on the perimeter.

He's an older guy (turns 23 right after summer league). But Brad hinted that they're looking at some older guys in the draft this year..and as I've mentioned before, the only 2 guys we've drafted (or signed as a UDFA) from the past 4 drafts who have earned consistent rotation mins (Pritchard, Hauser) were both older guys who were 23-ish on draft night..
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#856 » by jfs1000d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:16 am

165bows wrote:
Hal14 wrote:If we stay at pick 30, some guys on my radar:

Johnny Furphy
Devin Carter
Jamir Watkins
Alex Karaban
Hunter Sallis
Jaylon Tyson
Tyler Kolek
Juan Nunez
Yves Missi
Dalton Knecht
Melvin Ajinca
Ja’Kobe Walter
Kel'el Ware
Reece Beekman
Baylor Scheierman
Oso Ighodaro

All of these guys a) are currently in the top 30 on my personal big board b) probably have a somewhat realistic chance of still being there at 30 and c) could maybe be a good fit for Boston

I'll be stumping for our local guy from here on out, but what's up with UConn's transfer guard Cam Spencer? Looks like he's been playing college ball forever, but a career 18/5/4/2 per 40 with .516/.416/.877 splits, career 3% steal rate and 3/1 ATO rate, that's a lot to like there for a 6'4" guard.

I watch all UConn games. Spencer is an nba player. He is more Sam Hauser, Steve Kerr than say Duncan Robinson, but he is as good a shooter as you will find coming into the draft. He isn’t a move shooter, he has to be set, but a very very sold basketball player. You can do worse at 30.

Low ceiling player, but he is a plug and play shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#857 » by jfs1000d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:22 am

Karaban I think comes back unless he is a 1st round for sure. He is also 50/40/90 and is bigger than Spencer. Athleticism I don’t know, tbd, but kid can shoot, score, good passer, ok rebounder, and not a great defender.

I think he can be an nba starter. Maybe picked in the 20s.

As far as the big guy. Any kick that has him after 20 is just looking at his total stats. He has some concerns about speed, but he can be a defensive stalwart, a young offensive game and a really nice stroke.

Where do you get a 7-2, 280 guy who can run the floor, pass, defend, and has potential to stretch floor and be an above average rim protector. Rebounder and offensive player as a pick setter and rim runner.

He will go top 20.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#858 » by jfs1000d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:23 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
165bows wrote:I'll be stumping for our local guy from here on out, but what's up with UConn's transfer guard Cam Spencer? Looks like he's been playing college ball forever, but a career 18/5/4/2 per 40 with .516/.416/.877 splits, career 3% steal rate and 3/1 ATO rate, that's a lot to like there for a 6'4" guard.

Sorry if this is doxxing you.
https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/the-simmering-stock-of-alex-karaban

The latest mock by the athletic has the Celtics picking Edey with their first round pick and Karaban with their second so I'm pretty sure that writer is actually 165bows :lol:

I’d go for that. Edey is huge and can score inside. I think he is going. To be better than critics think in nba. But, there will also be matchups where he is unplayable.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#859 » by jfs1000d » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:24 am

Hal14 wrote:
165bows wrote:What part of Alex Karaban’s game couldn’t get into the ballpark of say eg Keegan Murray?

I actually made that comp earlier in the thread.

Keegan was simply a better, more dominant, more productive college player. Better ball handler, better at creating his own shot, better rebounder. Better at finishing at the rim, and protecting the rim..better at posting up, a little quicker and more athletic.

But he was the 4th pick.

I can certainly see Karaban being a slightly worse version of Keegan..

Those guys are similar, but Murray is more athletic and a top 5 pick. Karaban doesn’t have that athleticism or explosion in his game. But that’s ok. He is a bench player in a good team, and that is what you need in nba.

Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,189

Post#860 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:32 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

The latest mock by the athletic has the Celtics picking Edey with their first round pick and Karaban with their second so I'm pretty sure that writer is actually 165bows :lol:

I’d go for that. Edey is huge and can score inside. I think he is going. To be better than critics think in nba. But, there will also be matchups where he is unplayable.

Most guys picked where Edey is mocked are unplayable 100% of the time so unplayable some of the time is actually not that bad in terms of outcome.

Return to Boston Celtics