ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#921 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:39 pm

FWIW..

My takeaways?

1) The guys on this list who hit are good shooters. Grant, Pritchard, Hauser, Strus, Nesmith. Those are the only guys here who have done anything in the NBA and they can ALL shoot. All were really good shooters in college, except Grant who worked his butt off to become a better shooter in the NBA but earned minutes from the jump due to just being a tough, strong, physical glue guy who knew how to play, worked hard, set good screens and was really versatile defensively. He was also a backup PF and that is a position we had a need for and have tried lots of different guys in that spot over the past few years..

Grant wasn't a shooter in college so it's a little unfair to put him in that bucket. The guys who were good shooters when we drafted/signed them have worked out well except for Edwards (too small at 5'11" and was 21 when we drafted him so not developed enough..or they were too old (Funk) or they were playing in a lower level overseas league (by age 22 if you're overseas you should be in a better pro league by then..or if you're in Hungary you better be the league MVP lol

The shooters who have worked out have been a little more developed/older than that - Hauser, Pritchard, Strus..

Nesmith (a shooter) has worked out in the NBA but he's playing very well for his 2nd NBA team..wasn't so good for Boston, probably because he wasn't ready yet, was only 20 when we drafted him and most of his college career was during COVID so just wasn't developed enough to be ready for mins on a playoff team

We should've kept Strus. Keeping Tacko over him was pretty bad, in hindsight..

2) The overseas guys (Valerio-Bodon, Madar, Begarin) haven't worked out. It's also worth noting that when we drafted/signed these 3 guys, they were all playing in lower level overseas leagues. Valerio-Bodon was 22 but was still playing in just the Hungary league, which is not one of the better international leagues. Madar was playing in the Israeili league - not a top 5 international league..and his numbers were pretty meh during the season before we drafted him (only like 10 PPG, 28% from 3..) Begarin was playing in the France B league and his numbers were also kind of meh, considering the league he was in

A good rule of thumb moving forward should be, if we take an international player, try and take someone who is showing some decent production in one of the better pro leagues (Spain, France, Australia, Italy, Germany, Turkey, Adriatic League are probably the top ones) or if in a lower league like Israel or Hungary they better be dominating..

3) The Celtics don't seem to like drafting centers. No centers drafted by the team since Rob in 2018. And neither of the UDFA bigs we have signed since that time (Trevion, Tako) worked out well.

4) The really young guys (like younger than 20.5 on draft night) haven't worked out very well for us - yet.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#922 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:21 pm

I wouldn't write off Madar and Begarin. They both have a good feel for the game.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Hal14
RealGM

Post#923 » by Hal14 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:45 am

PJ Hall, Johni Broome, Daron Holmes, Coleman Hawkins (not necessarily in that order).

All are bigs who have some shooting upside, could potentially play both the 4 and the 5...all could be available in like the 30-45 range. And all are a little bit further along in their development so less risk, less of a project.

At this point, these are the 4 guys I'm looking at closely..oh and I'd probably put Norchad Omier in that group too.

I'd also mention Tyler Smith. His defense worries me and he's only 19 yrs old (which could be a good or a bad thing) and he'll probably be gone before our pick. But he could maybe fall to us and he's intriguing..he's a 4 who could maybe play some small ball 5. About 6'10"/6'11", can really shoot it, pretty good athleticism, only 19..

Oh and another name I'll throw out there. He's already been discussed a little bit. And I'm not sure if he's gonna declare for the draft or try doing another year of college (or overseas) to try and raise his draft stock for the 2025 draft. But Zvonimir Ivisic is intriguing.

7'2", can shoot. Can catch lobs, protect the rim and has some intriguing passing flashes. Poor man's Porzingis. Could be an upside swing worth taking..

;t=193s
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#924 » by shackles10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:38 pm

Hal14 wrote:Oh and another name I'll throw out there. He's already been discussed a little bit. And I'm not sure if he's gonna declare for the draft or try doing another year of college (or overseas) to try and raise his draft stock for the 2025 draft. But Zvonimir Ivisic is intriguing.

7'2", can shoot. Can catch lobs, protect the rim and has some intriguing passing. flashes. Poor man's Porzingis. Could be an upside swing worth taking..

;t=193s

Big Z is a very intriguing, but difficult prospect to evaluate because he was held out for so much of the year. Some games he'd look great, some games he'd barely get any run, and still some games you'd wish he wasn't out there because he was invisible on offense and bad on defense. I'd say it's equal parts NCAA for the ridiculous holdout, Coach Cal for letting the game slip by him, and the player himself for sometimes lacking intensity and awareness. He's certainly got the tools, and if he declares anybody is a gamble at that part of the draft. Getting someone who might have a really low floor if they are a dud, but also comes with a high ceiling isn't the worst option to take. I'd take him over the other UK player another mock had us taking in Edwards just because of the physical tools alone.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#925 » by Hal14 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:48 pm

Agreed. probably wouldn't take Big Z with a 1st round pick. But in the 2nd round (especially a pick in the 45-60 range) most of those picks fail anyways so I would not mind at all if we took a swing on him.

Get him in the gym with Al, KP, Tillman and Kornet for a year..develop in the g league for the 1st year, see what he can do by year 2..

There's positive indicators:
-Really good rebound % and blocks % this season at Kentucky and last season overseas
-Good FG% at the rim this season so he has some touch around the basket. Lots of dunks so knows how to finish strong at the rim and not throw some weak shots up there
-The mechanics on the outside shot look decent enough, and he's shooting 37.3% from 3 (2.2 attempts per game, 75 shots total) over his last 34 games (between this season at Kentucky, 7 FIBA games last summer and his last 12 games overseas in 22-23 season)
-His mobility is decent. He moves fairly quick up and down the floor..also, moving in the half court, slipping screens, footwork, agility all decent for a 7'2" guy..and still getting better at age 20
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#926 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:31 pm

Meh. If you want size, just hold your nose and draft Zach Edey or Donovan Klingman.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,928

Post#927 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:35 pm

Celtics are going to draft another wing in my opinion.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#928 » by shackles10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:47 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Meh. If you want size, just hold your nose and draft Zach Edey or Donovan Klingman.

Eh, I'd rather swing for the fences with Zvonimir who, if the cards fall right, has a potentially higher ceiling with his mobility, passing, and shooting. Edey is a niche player in today's NBA who only has a slightly higher floor imo, and at best is what Drummond does in limited minutes for the Bulls. I'm not saying he and Drummond are the same player as they have different strengths and weaknesses, but he's not going to be a starter ever but could come in and change a game sometimes with his size like Drummond does. Against other matchups though he'll be unplayable and those matchups get more likely to occur the better your team is and the further it advances in the playoffs.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#929 » by Hal14 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics are going to draft another wing in my opinion.

I'm not sure that would be the best move. Our 2 franchise players are wings. We've got one of the best shooters in the league who plays solid D most of the time coming off the bench as a wing (Hauser)..we just drafted a wing last year who is still only 20 yrs old and shows some good promise that he can develop into a contributor eventually. Brissett's got a player option for next year that he'll likely pick up.

We can go double big lineups which means less wings on the floor. We can go double guard lineups (2 out of Jrue, White, Pritchard) which means less wings on the floor.

I just don't see much of a need at wing...or much of an opportunity for a wing to get playing time in the next year or 2.

Then again, we have depth and talent at every position so anyone we draft will have an uphill battle to get any playing time..
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,928

Post#930 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:42 pm

Hal14 wrote:

I'm not sure that would be the best move. Our 2 franchise players are wings. We've got one of the best shooters in the league who plays solid D most of the time coming off the bench as a wing (Hauser)..we just drafted a wing last year who is still only 20 yrs old and shows some good promise that he can develop into a contributor eventually. Brissett's got a player option for next year that he'll likely pick up.

We can go double big lineups which means less wings on the floor. We can go double guard lineups (2 out of Jrue, White, Pritchard) which means less wings on the floor.

I just don't see much of a need at wing...or much of an opportunity for a wing to get playing time in the next year or 2.

Hauser could very well be gone after next year. How much are teams going to pay Hauser when he hits free agency? How much are the Celtics willing to pay Hauser so that he doesn't go to free agency? Celtics still have to pay White and Holiday.

Some team gives Hauser a 4 year and $65 million deal are the Celtics going to match that?

This is why I think the Celtics will draft a wing. We will see.

Jaylon Tyson is my choice as of March 26, 2024.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#931 » by shackles10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:23 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Hauser could very well be gone after next year. How much are teams going to pay Hauser when he hits free agency? How much are the Celtics willing to pay Hauser so that he doesn't go to free agency? Celtics still have to pay White and Holiday.

Some team gives Hauser a 4 year and $65 million deal are the Celtics going to match that?

This is why I think the Celtics will draft a wing. We will see.

Jaylon Tyson is my choice as of March 26, 2024.

Nope we won't, and honestly we shouldn't. The way the CBA is setup teams that do that won't be seriously contending unless they're lucky and have guys mature and ready to lead them to a title while still on their rookie deal before their maxes kick in. That's a pretty small and unlikely group. He won't be easy to replace, but easier than some positions since he's 7th-8th man and while he's improved in other areas is mainly a shooter only.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#932 » by playa-hater » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:57 am

165bows wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Doesn't change the talk in this thread much but in my mind the Celtics are 99.99% certain to trade out of the first round again. Probably fall back again and pick in the 35-45 range and get a new two-way player.

then let me be the .01% .. If Edey is available Boston has to get him. I am now all in on him as a rule at 30... Now maybe the exception to the rule emerges before the draft. I now want that "monster" near the rim finishing when Boston spreads the shet out of defenses. It is hard to get someone that Big with his skills. and at 30?? It is now a No Brainer for me..

I’m in on Edey even at 30, the upside is worth the gamble imo. Put him in for four minutes a quarter and consistently put teams into the bonus.

On the larger point, if they take someone in the first round have to assume they really like the player.

Well it looks like the player I have been promoting doesn't just look like a man amongst boys but a giant man amongst boys..

LOL at people thinking Kornet can do What Edey has been doing..

I don't think he makes it to our pick any more anyhow..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#933 » by playa-hater » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:01 am

Dalton Knecht Looks like a seriously good baller as well.. I haven't even looked to see where he may be drafted but if we can get him in the second I would be all over that..

If a player can shoot and has a little swag to his game I'm all for it..

Pretty good height for his position with enough Athletic ability in my opinion to be an NBA player..
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#934 » by threrf23 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:08 am

Edey kind of reminds me of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. That's not a bad thing, but I don't think he's a star in the NBA.

Knecht in the second would be solid. I'm not all that sold on his all around game and his decision making.

I like Jamal Shead. I'm not even sure if he is expected to be drafted. Not a big time shooter or scorer, just a really good player who will have a long NBA career.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#935 » by playa-hater » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:31 pm

threrf23 wrote:Edey kind of reminds me of Zydrunas Ilgauskas. That's not a bad thing, but [b]I don't think he's a star in the NBA.[/b]

Knecht in the second would be solid. I'm not all that sold on his all around game and his decision making.

I like Jamal Shead. I'm not even sure if he is expected to be drafted. Not a big time shooter or scorer, just a really good player who will have a long NBA career.

I like Edey but for a potential 30th pick I am not expecting Star but a solid role player for us. Just a good bargain as well.

I also like Shead but am guessing Boston would have to move on from one of our current PGs
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#936 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:02 pm

The Purdue player who interests me is Braden Smith aka Jimmy Chitwood. Draft eligible in 2026.

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,287

Post#937 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:53 pm

I think some draftable big guys in our range. Eddy. Ware I think can help. Holmes though a bit smaller as well. Chomche, he has huge upside but a project. I like Dillon Jones as a versatile 3/4. I don’t think there will be a wing available that’s better than Walsh or a PG that’s better than Davison.
Sign here
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#938 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:09 pm

If/when we trade way down or out of the draft we could do worse for wing scorer/shooter than Antonio Reeves. He's a bucket getter and when Hauser gets too expensive on the new contract Reeves could provide cheap shooting off the bench. He's not provided much in terms of defense at all, but is a decent enough athlete maybe he could be serviceable at least as a bench player to not give up more than he's scoring. He's an older player too so not a ton of development time needed to get what a team would be looking for out of him. End of 2nd or as an UDFA or 2-way is what I'm thinking... nothing higher.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#939 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 4:07 pm

playa-hater wrote:Dalton Knecht Looks like a seriously good baller as well.. I haven't even looked to see where he may be drafted but if we can get him in the second I would be all over that..

If a player can shoot and has a little swag to his game I'm all for it..

Pretty good height for his position with enough Athletic ability in my opinion to be an NBA player..

He's a projected lottery pick..might even go in the top 10..
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#940 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:01 pm

Can't believe Edey has moved up to a late lotto pick in so many mocks now. Honestly though, lots of guys have moved way up based on good tourneys. Just goes to show this is a really shallow and fluid draft by most guesses in that a guy could have such momentum after 3-4 good games.

Also Knecht would be a dream for us to pick as a bench wing behind the Jays, but it'll never happen. He's a lotto lock for sure.

Return to Boston Celtics