ImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,865

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#861 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:14 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:The latest mock by the athletic has the Celtics picking Edey with their first round pick and Karaban with their second so I'm pretty sure that writer is actually 165bows :lol:

I’d go for that. Edey is huge and can score inside. I think he is going. To be better than critics think in nba. But, there will also be matchups where he is unplayable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most guys picked where Edey is mocked are unplayable 100% of the time so unplayable some of the time is actually not that bad in terms of outcome.

I think at worst Edey can be used as a bench big who can come in, **** down the lane and give some efficient as hell baskets on the inside.

Kornet works good and Edey is much better than Luke.

I am liking Justin Edwards a lot right now. Seems to fit the Brad mold.

6-7
Can Handle
Athletic
Can shoot
;t=12s

Trentyn Flowers is another guy I like
6-8
Can handle
athletic
Can attack rim
Can Shoot
Defends
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#862 » by 165bows » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:36 pm

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/examining-the-small-guard-crunch

Good piece on the hit rate of smaller guards. Also a(nother) caveat on the bust rate of the 6'4"-6'6" crew.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#863 » by Hal14 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:00 pm

Yeah that was a very good article. Lots of good points, research and things to think about when evaluating this upcoming draft class.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Post#864 » by BK_2020 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:02 pm

165bows wrote:https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/examining-the-small-guard-crunch

Good piece on the hit rate of smaller guards. Also a(nother) caveat on the bust rate of the 6'4"-6'6" crew.

5 out of 33 drafted by Boston.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#865 » by 165bows » Wed Mar 13, 2024 12:47 pm

BK_2020 wrote:

Haha damn.

Also uncalled for Yam slander putting him in the whiff category instead of too soon to tell. This slander will not stand!!
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#866 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:11 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I’d go for that. Edey is huge and can score inside. I think he is going. To be better than critics think in nba. But, there will also be matchups where he is unplayable.

Most guys picked where Edey is mocked are unplayable 100% of the time so unplayable some of the time is actually not that bad in terms of outcome.

I think at worst Edey can be used as a bench big who can come in, **** down the lane and give some efficient as hell baskets on the inside.

6-7
Can Handle
Athletic
Can shoot
;t=12s

6-8
Can handle
athletic
Can attack rim
Can Shoot
Defends

I've watched Edwards a lot and he's an intriguing option I mentioned once on here before. For me he fits the old Ainge mode of guys who are highly rated in HS, but struggle in NCAA and we go off their HS hype still (i.e. JB, Romeo, even James Young a little bit). Regarding his shooting he's a guy who looks like he can shoot and sometimes can, but overall not a shooter. He looked great in Canada beginning of the year, but most of the season has really struggled. Sometimes Cal isn't the easiest to play for and his game might not suit college in general. For where we're drafting I'd be interested for sure, but there are questions about his motor an intensity imo. He's the highest rated on a team full of highly rated guys, but often doesn't look like he's even in the top half of that roster and doesn't make much of an impact for big chunks of games.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#867 » by Hal14 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:23 pm

Yeah I'd agree with that assessment of Edwards.

I'd also add that I think he is average at best defensively. Limited as a playmaker for othersNot much of a bag in terms of creating his own shot.

And those guys who are super highly rated in HS but struggle during their 1 and done season after HS don't have a great track record of success in the NBA. You mentioned Romeo and James Young who struggled in the NBA..there's also Ziaire Williams who hasn't worked out great. Neither has Patrick Baldwin Jr, Jaden Hardy, etc.

Peyton Watson is one exception. Too soon to tell about Walsh. Too soon to tell about JD Davison but it's not looking great..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#868 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:30 pm

Hal14 wrote:Yeah I'd agree with that assessment of Edwards.

I'd also add that I think he is average at best defensively. Limited as a playmaker for othersNot much of a bag in terms of creating his own shot.

And those guys who are super highly rated in HS but struggle during their 1 and done season after HS don't have a great track record of success in the NBA. You mentioned Romeo and James Young who struggled in the NBA..there's also Ziaire Williams who hasn't worked out great. Neither has Patrick Baldwin Jr, Jaden Hardy, etc.

Peyton Watson is one exception. Too soon to tell about Walsh. Too soon to tell about JD Davison but it's not looking great..

Agreed, but would add anyone at where we're picking is basically a crap shoot. I'd be more accepting to drafting a guy based on HS rating in the 2nd round than a reach in the lotto like James Young was. Also fully agree on Edwards defense, although I think in the right environment he COULD become a plus defender. He could also be a guy who has no reason to be a poor defender with his size, but somehow is. Essentially, if I'm not caring about how he finishes his NCAA career and just projecting him in the pros he COULD be a 3&D guy with ideal size, but needs work on both the 3 and the D lol. He lacks playmaking as you mentioned to at least consistently do more there, and he's also been limited as a shot creator as well. Pre-season Canada Edwards though could have an occasional NBA appearance, but I would be more surprised than I would be expecting it.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#869 » by Hal14 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:56 pm

Yeah all fair points. It's certainly less of a risk taking a guy like that in the 30-45 range than it is in the lottery.

It just seems like the hit rate on those guys is so low though..that even in the 30-45 range I'd rather get a guy with a lower ceiling but a higher floor. A guy who already knows how to play, a guy who showed some consistent production in college, is furhter along in his development, high character guy, hard worker who we can develop into a solid 6th - 10th man here..like what we've seen this season from guys like Kornet, Pritchard, Hauser and Brissett.

I feel like we already have a Brissett type of guy in training (Walsh). And we possibly have a defensive bulldog type of guard with Springer. What we don't really have is big who can shoot it and can play the 4 or the 5. I mean, we have Al of course but I think next season is gonna be his last one. I mean a guy like that who is younger who we can develop..

Guys who could fit that: Johni Broome, PJ Hall, Norchad Omier, Coleman Hawkins
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#870 » by djFan71 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:21 pm

165bows wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Haha damn.

Also uncalled for Yam slander putting him in the whiff category instead of too soon to tell. This slander will not stand!!

Called for until proven otherwise at this point, lol.
Did you see they had CMB in the lottery (12) in their mock draft v4? Several of my "hope they slips" long, long gone before us on their mock. They had us taking some big stiff at 30. Lame.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#871 » by djFan71 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:25 pm

Some they had left that at 30 / 40s that I like (in theory): Proctor, Nique Clifford, Oso, McCullar, Ajay Mitchell, Trey.

Obviously just a mock, but fun.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#872 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:08 am

Larry_Russell wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:I’d go for that. Edey is huge and can score inside. I think he is going. To be better than critics think in nba. But, there will also be matchups where he is unplayable.

6-7
Can Handle
Athletic
Can shoot
;t=12s

6-8
Can handle
athletic
Can attack rim
Can Shoot
Defends

Luke has improved to a solid role player for us. At least in the regular season (playoffs??)

I don't think it's a stretch to say Edey's ceiling is at least a much better Luke Kornet type of player. If my previous statements are somewhat accurate or reasonable, then I think it is fair to say getting a better to much better Kornet potentially is a pretty good to great pickup for the 30th pick.

In fact just watching how Kornet just rolls to the rim and finishes and imagining what a nice Lob target Edey could be is enticing by itself. Edey probably has far greater rebounding shot/blocking potential as well. One thing I don't know is If Edey can make the right reads and quick passes the way Kornet does. I would have to look closer. But I am guessing that he can learn develop that.

The more I post on this the more I think I am convincing myself That I want Edey..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#873 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:25 am

Damn don't like this draft at top at all. Seems like all the players have a decent Ceiling but their floors are quite low.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#874 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:31 am

playa-hater wrote:Damn don't like this draft at top at all. Seems like all the players have a decent Ceiling but their floors are quite low.

Yeah, not a good year to have a top 5 pick.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#875 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:18 am

Keith sees the vision.

Read on Twitter
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#876 » by jfs1000d » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:27 am

playa-hater wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:Most guys picked where Edey is mocked are unplayable 100% of the time so unplayable some of the time is actually not that bad in terms of outcome.

6-7
Can Handle
Athletic
Can shoot
;t=12s

6-8
Can handle
athletic
Can attack rim
Can Shoot
Defends

Luke has improved to a solid role player for us. At least in the regular season (playoffs??)

I don't think it's a stretch to say Edey's ceiling is at least a much better Luke Kornet type of player. If my previous statements are somewhat accurate or reasonable, then I think it is fair to say getting a better to much better Kornet potentially is a pretty good to great pickup for the 30th pick.

In fact just watching how Kornet just rolls to the rim and finishes and imagining what a nice Lob target Edey could be is enticing by itself. Edey probably has far greater rebounding shot/blocking potential as well. One thing I don't know is If Edey can make the right reads and quick passes the way Kornet does. I would have to look closer. But I am guessing that he can learn develop that.

The more I post on this the more I think I am convincing myself That I want Edey..

I am not sure edey will ever be as mobile as Kornet. But, I am, all for taking size. 7-5 with elite scoring skill has as place in NBA.

Can Edey be productive in small minutes like Kornet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#877 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:39 pm

Maybe Brad does a surprise and takes 30 + whatever 2nds we have (over the next few years) and targets a player and moves up from 30. Never say never. One reason why I will eventually be looking at any player projected pick 20 and down.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,586

Post#878 » by lon3lytoaster » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:40 pm

playa-hater wrote:Maybe Brad does a surprise and takes 30 + whatever 2nds we have (over the next few years) and targets a player and moves up from 30. Never say never. One reason why I will eventually be looking at any player projected pick 20 and down.

Nah, Brad is bizarro Danny. Hates drafting.
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#879 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:44 pm

lon3lytoaster wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Maybe Brad does a surprise and takes 30 + whatever 2nds we have (over the next few years) and targets a player and moves up from 30. Never say never. One reason why I will eventually be looking at any player projected pick 20 and down.

Odds are you are right.. But Brad often does the unexpected. So maybe.... :dontknow:
Hal14
RealGM

Post#880 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:15 pm

playa-hater wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:

Odds are you are right.. But Brad often does the unexpected. So maybe.... :dontknow:

Every year we think Brad is gonna do that and he never does. In fact, he ends up doing the opposite. Trading down instead of trading up.

With 1st round picks (especially picks in the top 20) they get guaranteed contracts, they get a higher salary and there's much higher expectations that the player is going to contribute and contribute sooner rather than later, more pressure on that player to perform, more backlash for that player (and for Brad) if that player falls short of expectations, etc.

With a team like the Celtics (depth at every position, talent at every position, veterans at every position..best roster in the league, title contender for the foreseeable future) anyone we draft is gonna be a long shot to get playing time - especially in year 1. So that causes a conflict with the expectations (and higher salary and guaranteed contract) described in the previous paragraph.

Given the statements in the last paragraph, all we can realistically hope for for any draft pick (even one in the top 20) is for them to maybe carve out a role as like a 7th-9th man. Look who we have in those spots right now. Pritchard (26th pick but was projected to go in the 2nd round), Hauser (UDFA), Kornet (UDFA a who we acquired via trade when he was like 27 and had been in the league a few yrs)..we've got Brissett playing a solid role (UDFA who we signed to a veterans minimum contract after he had been in the league a few yrs), Tillman (35th pick, acquired via trade after he had been in the league a few yrs)

Brad's blueprint seems pretty clear to me. He doesn't really do unexpected things. He makes big moves (KP, Jrue, Al, White, Brogdon) only when it's to acquire a STUD who is a proven NBA player, who has been in the league for 5+ years, is age 27+ and is going to be a top 6 player on a title contender from day 1 in Boston. He has 2-4 stars making $30mil or more each. Another 1-3 guys who are your key role players, are top 6 guys making $10-$20 mil each..and he fills out the rest of the roster with guys on minimum contracts or a guy like Pritchard next year who will be on one of the cheaper rookie scale extensions in recent memory. He hates 1st round picks, and he drafts 1 guy in the 2nd round, picks up 1 UDFA and tries to maximize those 2 selections with good scouting and good job by our development staff.

Return to Boston Celtics