ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jordan Walsh! 

Post#561 » by sam_I_am » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:38 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
cl2117 wrote:It's the flailing that makes me feel like he wouldn't be able to stay on the court for the big ball club, but given Brad's desire for a "big wing" I can't help but want to see him try.

His ability to get in passing lanes and challenge with his length is tantalizing. Given that we wouldn't need him to score or handle the ball at all, if he could manage to stay on the court and be a menace defensively that feels like the perfect deadline addition.

Don't think he's ready, but still curious to see him try just for sh*ts and giggles.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for rookies in general, and Walsh was who I wanted us to pick going into the draft. I'd love to see him on the big club getting at least 15 mpg, but I don't see where those minutes come from. And if you can't get them consistently, it's not worth it. So, ultimately I'm fine giving him reps and letting him build the body and fight for a spot next camp.

The Celtics are keeping Walsh in Maine so he can win ROY next year.

I still hope he ends up with big club in February. I’d love to see him copy the early career after JB who got minutes on defense and by becoming passable as a corner shooter. Being around the big club this year and working up close with positive role models like Tatum, Brown, Hauser, White and especially Holiday would help him immeasurably when he is ready.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,328

Post#562 » by brackdan70 » Sun Jan 7, 2024 8:36 pm

Celtics need a big wing, could be internal…Ah I see.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#563 » by Hal14 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 2:43 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Yeah, I'm a sucker for rookies in general, and Walsh was who I wanted us to pick going into the draft. I'd love to see him on the big club getting at least 15 mpg, but I don't see where those minutes come from. And if you can't get them consistently, it's not worth it. So, ultimately I'm fine giving him reps and letting him build the body and fight for a spot next camp.

The Celtics are keeping Walsh in Maine so he can win ROY next year.

I still hope he ends up with big club in February. I’d love to see him copy the early career after JB who got minutes on defense and by becoming passable as a corner shooter. Being around the big club this year and working up close with positive role models like Tatum, Brown, Hauser, White and especially Holiday would help him immeasurably when he is ready.

He's not JB. JB was the 3rd pick in the draft.

I think they are trying to have Walsh follow the path that guys like Sam Hauser, Duncan Robinson, Peyton Watson, Derrick White, Alex Caruso, Max Strus, Caleb Martin, Gabe Vincent, Jordan Poole, Khris MIddleton and many others have taken - year 1 in the G league to develop nice and slow, not rushing it. Then year 2 they are ready to compete for rotation minutes.

This seems to be the most common path that has led to success over the past 7 years or so, for guys taken outside of the top 20 picks (or UDFA), with some exceptions.

I don't recall any time recently where it's worked out by having a title contender keep a 19 year old rookie who was taken in the 2nd round in the G league all season and then throw him into the fire in February when all the teams are battling hard for playoff positioning.

Coming out of HS, Peyton Watson was a 5 star recruit and projected lottery pick. But he had a rocky freshman season in college, he was raw offensively, didn't shoot the ball well, wasn't a standout player but did have some impressive flashes. Slid down draft boards a bit. Went late 1st round. Was on a contender as a rookie so spent year 1 in G league, his team won the NBA title. Now in year 2 he's getting consistent rotation mins and doing some really good things for Denver..Walsh is on the same path.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#564 » by Hal14 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:00 pm

Next season he should get a legit chance at making the rotation.

The form looks pretty smooth here, barely touches the net - and this is from like 3 ft behind the 3 pt line. Good stuff.

Read on Twitter
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Smart2Nesmith43
Sixth Man
And1: 4,209

Post#565 » by Smart2Nesmith43 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:04 pm

Hal14 wrote:Next season he should get a legit chance at making the rotation.

Read on Twitter

44/121 from three on the year. That's 36.4% on 5.8 attempts per game. It's still a smallish sample size and the FT% isn't great (but on even fewer attempts) so it might regress but it's good enough to see a NBA floor and not kill the team's spacing. That's huge for a guy that had long range shooting as his biggest question mark coming into the draft.

On the flip side, it's worth monitoring his finishing at the rim which hasn't been great (53/94 or 56% in the restricted area).
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,252

Post#566 » by djFan71 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:21 pm

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

44/121 from three on the year. That's 36.4% on 5.8 attempts per game. It's still a smallish sample size and the FT% isn't great (but on even fewer attempts) so it might regress but it's good enough to see a NBA floor and not kill the team's spacing. That's huge for a guy that had long range shooting as his biggest question mark coming into the draft.

On the flip side, it's worth monitoring his finishing at the rim which hasn't been great (53/94 or 56% in the restricted area).

He seems to use his crazy long arms to contort himself to avoid any kind of contact when getting his shot off at the rim. Getting a little stronger and playing through contact would help quite a bit.

* Small sample size alert for me actually watching him this year, though. Just going off condensed games/highlights.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,405

Post#567 » by KillahGhostface » Tue Jan 9, 2024 5:02 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

He seems to use his crazy long arms to contort himself to avoid any kind of contact when getting his shot off at the rim. Getting a little stronger and playing through contact would help quite a bit.

* Small sample size alert for me actually watching him this year, though. Just going off condensed games/highlights.

Once his body is ready, he will be a good finisher.
bigfoot_cryptozoology
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,294

Post#568 » by bigfoot_cryptozoology » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:05 pm

If he's still with the club - GFIN mode needs to be very much the option, and
he'd be a decent trade chip.

Not that I want him dealt.

But they do have a chance to pick up three similar prospects in the upcoming draft: 30 - 40 - 51...
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#569 » by Dogen » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:23 pm

The form looks pretty smooth here, barely touches the net - and this is from like 3 ft behind the 3 pt line. Good stuff.

Read on Twitter

Were they playing golf out there? Checkers maybe?

Nice form, but he was under no pressure at all. If G-League is going to be like this, I'd rather have him up with the big club more.
Hey you! Can we come together?
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,667

Post#570 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:07 am

Read on Twitter

It looks pretty good, but to my eye, he brings it down too low to initiate his shot. Smart used to do that, too. I hope he gets a shot with the big club next year.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#571 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:43 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,328

Post#572 » by brackdan70 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:31 am

Rodman/ Curry hybrid.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM

Post#573 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:25 am

brackdan70 wrote:Rodman/ Curry hybrid.

lol. that would be a hell of a player.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#574 » by cl2117 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:50 am

NuckyPowell wrote:

Read on Twitter

It looks pretty good, but to my eye, he brings it down too low to initiate his shot. Smart used to do that, too. I hope he gets a shot with the big club next year.

Yeah he's got that cocking motion you see from a lot of players which slows down the overall shot too much. It's a habit a lot of guys get from taking 1,000 uncontested shots in the gym. Watch true sharpshooters and they never take it below the belt at it's lowest point and usually keep their hands at their numbers before going up.

In the NBA that'll cause him to rush things too much when close outs are a lot faster and you get less room overall. Haven't truly watched enough of Walsh to know if that's a recurring problem but it's very fixable if it is. Think it's very common and something guys tend to tweak as they go.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,078

Post#575 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#576 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:25 am

Well a player even younger than Walsh, GG Jackson was thrown into the lineup and has killed it already for Memphis the last 2 games..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#577 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:00 am

playa-hater wrote:Well a player even younger than Walsh, GG Jackson was thrown into the lineup and has killed it already for Memphis the last 2 games..

Grizzlies have no healthy players. It's like apples and screwdrivers.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#578 » by Hal14 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:31 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Well a player even younger than Walsh, GG Jackson was thrown into the lineup and has killed it already for Memphis the last 2 games..

Yup, Grizzlies have no healthy players, they are clearly tanking. Much different team context than a deep, talented Celtics team with everyone healthy and the favorite to win the title.

Also, GG Jackson is an outlier. Just because there's 1 19-year old rookie drafted in the 2nd round who is making an impact, it doesn't outweigh the 100+ examples on the other side of the coin.

Lastly, GG is not a typical 2nd round pick. He was the #1 ranked player in his HS class. He fell in the draft. But many people thought he should have gone 1st round and this draft analyst even had him top 5 on his big board:
Read on Twitter

GG was a 1st rounder on my big board as well.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,607

Post#579 » by playa-hater » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:31 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:

I was not comparing situations but rather that even an eighteen or nineteen year old can produce at the n b a level, Even if they do not have much experience.

That and the fact that he was my pick and he went 45th..

I feel that jordan walsh has An elite role playing ceiling level. But as I said during the draft I feel this kid has star potential.. It will be fun to look back in a few years with this one.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#580 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:46 am

playa-hater wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:

I was not comparing situations but rather that even an eighteen or nineteen year old can produce at the n b a level, Even if they do not have much experience.

That and the fact that he was my pick and he went 45th..

I feel that jordan walsh has An elite role playing ceiling level. But as I said during the draft I feel this kid has star potential.. It will be fun to look back in a few years with this one.

Most of these 19-old athletes that make the NBA can produce in the right circumstances. They can also bust in the wrong circumstances.

Kudos to GGJ for making the most of his opportunity that he wouldn't otherwise get.

Return to Boston Celtics