ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,557

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! 

Post#321 » by playa-hater » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:43 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Luke is much better, but that’s not a knock on Neemias either, as Luke has become very underrated. I could see value in having Neemias as a Luke replacement though if Luke became too expensive as soon as next season and is 5 years older than Queta.

Not sure about this. Some have underrated Luke while others may have overrated him. Luke offensively speaking has found his groove filling in the open spots on cutting ect. But he is the most "drop coverage" center we have, and that I believe will make him near unplayable come playoffs.

I believe Queta may or may not suffer long term from Theis Itis ( he does seemingly have it now). If he can avoid that issue long term he is the better talent. If not.... He still has nice ceiling for smaller roles.

He's the 2nd most "drop coverage" center we have. Queta is the first.

Quetta can actually guard better than Kornet on the perimeter..If he drops It is more on the coaching.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#322 » by snowman » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:51 pm

We need to remember that Queta's first 2 years were with the Kings. Not the vanguard of big men in the league. Also, it usually takes big men a bit longer to get accustomed to the speed of NBA. I can only imagine what Queta would be like if he could spend the rest of the season learning from big Al in how to play the post position. (I see Al being our big man coach after he decides to hand it up from playing) I think there is plenty of room for Kornet and Queta to back up Porzingis and Al on the roster and let Tillman back up Tatum as a true PF to get him minutes. As for next season, bring all five big men back, with KP and Al looking at limited minutes to stay fresh and healthy.

Just sign him to as long of a contract the league allows (I think it is two years) since he would be a 2-way conversion. Then sign him to a four-year minimum after that with team options in the last two years if you can. If we find a wing that fits better, we can just release SVI to sign that person.

Power Forward and Center rotation:
Tatum, Porzingis
Al, Kornet
Tillman, Queta
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,954

Post#323 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 9:10 pm

Read on Twitter

I still think that we should sign him to a Regular NBA Contract.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#324 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:23 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#325 » by Hal14 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:03 pm

playa-hater wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
Not sure about this. Some have underrated Luke while others may have overrated him. Luke offensively speaking has found his groove filling in the open spots on cutting ect. But he is the most "drop coverage" center we have, and that I believe will make him near unplayable come playoffs.

I believe Queta may or may not suffer long term from Theis Itis ( he does seemingly have it now). If he can avoid that issue long term he is the better talent. If not.... He still has nice ceiling for smaller roles.

He's the 2nd most "drop coverage" center we have. Queta is the first.

Quetta can actually guard better than Kornet on the perimeter..If he drops It is more on the coaching.

Eh, idk. I've seen some rare flashes of defending out on the perimeter by Queta. But it remains to be seen if those were anomalies or if that's something he's capable of doing consistently.

With how foul prone he is, I kind of doubt he can do it consistently.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#326 » by Parliament10 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:30 pm

Read on Twitter

What are you waiting for, Brad?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#327 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:49 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#328 » by jfs1000d » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 pm

I think what they should do is final day of the season covert one of the two ways depending on depth catastrophic depth needs. If they need an extra guard, forward or center. Depends.

I just don’t think you should go into playoffs with an open roster spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#329 » by 165bows » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:46 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Saying all the right things, sounds great.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#330 » by Gant » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:19 am

Joe Mazzulla answering a question from a Portugese reporter about Queta: "His time is gonna come."

Read on Twitter
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#331 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:56 am

Gant wrote:Joe Mazzulla answering a question from a Portugese reporter about Queta: "His time is gonna come."

Read on Twitter

I don’t necessarily disagree with Joe but is the caveat here whether that time will come with the C’s or someone else. Could be another team and Joe still being 100% sincere on his compliments to Queta.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,938

Post#332 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:28 am

Read on Twitter
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#333 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:18 am

Queta has to be Converted by April 14th (last day of the NBA Regular Season).
But, he could continue to play for the Maine Celtics (if necessary) as an Assignee, like Jordan Walsh.

Might as well get them the Experience. They likely will not play in the NBA Playoffs, unless it's major Garbage Time.

https://gleague.nba.com/key-dates
March 30: NBA G League Regular Season ends
April 2: NBA G League Playoffs First Round - Single Elimination
April 4-5: NBA G League Conference Semifinals - Single Elimination
April 7: NBA G League Conference Finals - Single Elimination
April 9: NBA G League Finals Game 1
April 12: NBA G League Finals Game 2
April 15: NBA G League Finals Game 3 (if necessary)
April 14: NBA Regular Season ends
April 16-19: SoFi NBA Play-In Tournament
April 20: NBA Playoffs 2024 begin
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,253

Post#334 » by ThePigeon » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:21 am

Parliament10 wrote:Queta has to be Converted by April 14th (last day of the NBA Regular Season).
But, he could continue to play for the Maine Celtics (if necessary) as an Assignee, like Jordan Walsh.

Might as well get them the Experience. They likely will not play in the NBA Playoffs, unless it's major Garbage Time.

Just convert him
Also, Joe needs to play him a little more, especially when we get killed with offensive rebounds

From the small sample size I saw from him and Tilman, I think he is the better center for our system right now. Tilman can play the 4 for short periods of time
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#335 » by 31to6 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 12:11 pm

ThePigeon wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Queta has to be Converted by April 14th (last day of the NBA Regular Season).

Just convert him
Also, Joe needs to play him a little more, especially when we get killed with offensive rebounds

From the small sample size I saw from him and Tilman, I think he is the better center for our system right now. Tilman can play the 4 for short periods of time

While it would be a bummer to get to the playoffs and lose KP or Al and find yourself wishing you had Queta available (and it may be worth converting him for this reason alone), I'm not really worried about this year with Queta -- I want them to do what's best for hopefully keeping him here (real roster) for a couple of seasons at affordable $$. It's not clear to me that the way to do that is by starting him on the first year of a real contract now rather than in the fall.

But I don't understand the situation and trust they'll make a good decision. E.g., focus on trying to win the G League title with him? Sure. Have him ride the pine in BOS for the rest of these meaningless regular season games? Sure. Be available in the playoffs if needed? Would like that. But hopefully they've thought it through or are thinking it through and make a good decision.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ThePigeon
Starter
And1: 1,253

Post#336 » by ThePigeon » Wed Apr 3, 2024 1:42 pm

31to6 wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:

Just convert him

While it would be a bummer to get to the playoffs and lose KP or Al and find yourself wishing you had Queta available (and it may be worth converting him for this reason alone), I'm not really worried about this year with Queta -- I want them to do what's best for hopefully keeping him here (real roster) for a couple of seasons at affordable $$. It's not clear to me that the way to do that is by starting him on the first year of a real contract now rather than in the fall.

But I don't understand the situation and trust they'll make a good decision. E.g., focus on trying to win the G League title with him? Sure. Have him ride the pine in BOS for the rest of these meaningless regular season games? Sure. Be available in the playoffs if needed? Would like that. But hopefully they've thought it through or are thinking it through and make a good decision.

I guess it all depends if he will get better proposals from other teams. Not just contract size and length but promise of playing time.
If you fear he'll get better proposals (which I suppose he will), try to sign him now and at least get 1 year of him here.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#337 » by 31to6 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:32 pm

ThePigeon wrote:
31to6 wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:
Just convert him

I guess it all depends if he will get better proposals from other teams. Not just contract size and length but promise of playing time.
If you fear he'll get better proposals (which I suppose he will), try to sign him now and at least get 1 year of him here.

Maybe. I'll be bummed if they lose him! My guess is that once they acquired Tillman, they figured they'd replaced Queta's role in the deep rotation, and decided to let him chill -- maybe to fall out of view of the rest of the league heading into the offseason? That might be simplistic thinking though.

I always thought the tax situation might lead them to leave the 15th roster spot empty, and maybe that's where we are. Don't make $$ decisions that hurt the team now or in the future, though!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#338 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:15 pm

31to6 wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Maybe. I'll be bummed if they lose him! My guess is that once they acquired Tillman, they figured they'd replaced Queta's role in the deep rotation, and decided to let him chill -- maybe to fall out of view of the rest of the league heading into the offseason? That might be simplistic thinking though.

I always thought the tax situation might lead them to leave the 15th roster spot empty, and maybe that's where we are. Don't make $$ decisions that hurt the team now or in the future, though!

I think that the best thing, is to Convert Queta before the Season Ends. That seems like it would open up the most flexibility?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#339 » by shackles10 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:17 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
31to6 wrote:
ThePigeon wrote:

I think that the best thing, is to Convert Queta before the Season Ends. That seems like it would open up the most flexibility?

Is there a standard contract it would convert to? I'm sure if we need the roster flexibility this off-season we could always dump him pretty cheap so might be best to convert him now for the flexibility you mentioned. I guess what would it hurt, unless he or his agent prefer we don't convert him so he can hit free agency again this summer?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#340 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Apr 4, 2024 5:24 pm

I'm guessing he wants more than they are willing to pay, at least at the moment.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit

Return to Boston Celtics