ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! – Converted to NBA Contract (Apr 8, 2024) 

Post#401 » by 31to6 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:06 am

Good business move. Winning the G league title was going to earn him some suitors this summer. Love they’re rewarding a guy for developing internally. Onwards and upwards!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,875

Post#402 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:09 am

Queta was the best big man in the G league last year as well.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#403 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:10 am

Had to be done. Glad we have him for at least another season.
Sign here
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,969

Post#404 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:13 am

Congrats Neemias! Well deserved!
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#405 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:14 am

Congrats, Neemy!

No surprise here. As I've mentioned a couple times now, Brad's track record for filling the last roster spot late in the season is to scoop a guy out of the g league (either off Maine's roster or another team's g league team) or convert 1 of our 2-way guys (like he did with Hauser a couple yrs ago).

The most logical candidates were Queta, Peterson and JD. All have played well in Maine but Queta has much more NBA experience than the others, has played much more NBA games this season - has played way more meaningful NBA mins than the others..so this is not a surprise at all.

And he's big man insurance, just in case we need him come playoff time. He likely won't be needed to play any non-garbage time mins in the playoffs. But like with any insurance, it's better to have it and not need it - than to need it and not have it.

Plus it's just good business, good optics (however you want to say it) to reward a guy who has been here all season and been a good soldier about staying on a 2-way and bouncing back and forth between Boston and Maine..has quietly put in the work, played his butt off when he gets into a game for the big club.

Good move.

Now the 15 man roster is complete and w'ere ready to go win banner 18 !
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! 

Post#406 » by SLCceltic » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:27 am

NuckyPowell wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:Queta has higher upside than Kornet, and Kornet is a pretty good 3rd center. I understand it has been a small sample size of meaningful minutes, but Queta has been impressive in real NBA minutes when pressed into duty earlier this year. I would definitely sign him with some team option years on the end. I expect this kid to blossom once he gets a bunch of NBA minutes under him.

In what way do you seen him 'blosssoming' ? He has great size but pretty slow, he cannot move the ball well, much lessfacilitate. He gives you nothing Offensively aside from put-backs off of offensive-rebounds. He cannot switch on D. There's not much ceiling left, Dude's gonna be 25 in July !!

What can Queta do better than LuKe ???

I don't see him as being anywhere near as slow as you do. I have seen him stay with smaller guys on the perimeter reasonably well. Certainly, much better than Kornet can. He is a much better rebounder than Kornet. He's similar to Kornet as a rim protector. He's more physical than Kornet. Neither one of them is any offensive threat other than right near the rim. I thought he filled in nicely when Al or KP were out (and I think Kornet was out for awhile, giving Queta his opportunity, and he played very well. Bottom line, I think he is at least Kornet's equal with more room to improve. The improvement part will come with minutes. Kornet has been afforded way more minutes. It's fine if you don't see it that way. Apparently, I was way more impressed with what I saw from Queta than you were. Back when he was getting those regular minutes, I liked his play better than Kornet's. I thought he was more impactful back then. Now, since Luke came back and Joe chose to give all those minutes to Kornet, Kornet has been better than I thought he could be. I still think Queta's ceiling is higher, but it's not something that will make or break the team. As Bobby would say "He's your third center. What do you want?"

Anyway, I like him better than you do. It's fine.

Queta needs to somehow develop a mean streak, and use his immense physical gifts to start KiCKing some Ass out there ! Defensively, eating up boards, setting GreaT screens and keeping the ball moving...

He's quicker than KP retreating and laterally (every person in the world is quicker than my Man Luke :lol:) but he's not all that switchable on D.

What Queta gives us (potentially) is a little quicker, way more physical version of KP on D with limited ball movement skillz and will brick a 2-3ft put back from time to time.

I have waYY more trust in Luke to finish around the basket, finishing and finding guys ...he is in sync w everyone. In limited minutes Luke will almost always be a +player for this team.

Will be very interesting to see if another team throws Luke a little money in FA ...

Queta has EXcellent SIZE !! and can MoVE ! I totally get the fascination, I have felt the same way ! but he needs to find some serious intensity (iE Ben Wallace), and finish better around the rim, develop a go to post move, or he's going to be out of the league soon...

I LOVE that he's shooting 75-80% FTs. Should mean that he can shoot at least a little.

For us he needs to be able to move the ball and find guys, I don't really see that happening...

Would love to see it tho bc I love his physical traits !!
ROYALGREEN
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,070

Post#407 » by Fierce1 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:29 am

All Queta needs is time.

Al will still be in Boston next season, so Queta still has a couple of years to develop.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Re: Welcome to Boston, Neemias Queta! 

Post#408 » by SLCceltic » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:45 am

Gant wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
In what way do you seen him 'blosssoming' ? He has great size but pretty slow, he cannot move the ball well, much lessfacilitate. He gives you nothing Offensively aside from put-backs off of offensive-rebounds. He cannot switch on D. There's not much ceiling left, Dude's gonna be 25 in July !!

What can Queta do better than LuKe ???

I don't see him as being anywhere near as slow as you do. I have seen him stay with smaller guys on the perimeter reasonably well. Certainly, much better than Kornet can. He is a much better rebounder than Kornet. He's similar to Kornet as a rim protector. He's more physical than Kornet. Neither one of them is any offensive threat other than right near the rim. I thought he filled in nicely when Al or KP were out (and I think Kornet was out for awhile, giving Queta his opportunity, and he played very well. Bottom line, I think he is at least Kornet's equal with more room to improve. The improvement part will come with minutes. Kornet has been afforded way more minutes. It's fine if you don't see it that way. Apparently, I was way more impressed with what I saw from Queta than you were. Back when he was getting those regular minutes, I liked his play better than Kornet's. I thought he was more impactful back then. Now, since Luke came back and Joe chose to give all those minutes to Kornet, Kornet has been better than I thought he could. I still think Queta's ceiling is higher, but it's not something that will make or break the team. As Bobby would say "He's your third center. What do you want?"

Anyway, I like him better than you do. It's fine.

That's true. The average distance of Kornet's fga is 2.1 feet. The average distance of Queta's fga is 3.0 feet.

I'm not sure that I understand your point here. I'm trusting Kornet 100% of the time to finish around 3ft. !!
ROYALGREEN
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,252

Post#409 » by djFan71 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:48 am

Solid move. Might as well have the depth in the playoffs and options for the summer.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,534

Post#410 » by 165bows » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:53 am

I was intentionally slow to the Queta party this year, but he’s got some good potential and the front office has been forthcoming about that.

Serious question is there any reason he can’t come close to say eg a Mitch Robinson type player?
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,462

Post#411 » by celtxman » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:59 am

165bows wrote:I was intentionally slow to the Queta party this year, but he’s got some good potential and the front office has been forthcoming about that.

Serious question is there any reason he can’t come close to say eg a Mitch Robinson type player?

Robinson uses his strength better but that is something Queta can learn from Horford
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,078

Post#412 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 5:56 am

This isn't AI-generated.

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#413 » by BK_2020 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:15 am

Congrats, Neemias. A big win for both sides.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,078

Post#414 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 9, 2024 11:34 am

If the Warriors and the Celtics face again in the Finals, who will the country of Portugal support?

Read on Twitter
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,402

Post#415 » by Homerclease » Tue Apr 9, 2024 12:51 pm

Multi year is important as Kornet has likely played himself out of the city this year.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,331

Post#416 » by Gant » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:00 pm

Homerclease wrote:Multi year is important as Kornet has likely played himself out of the city this year.

Also, if the Celtics win a ring, Horford might be tempted to walk off into the sunset.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,969

Post#417 » by Celts17Pride » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:08 pm

Gant wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Multi year is important as Kornet has likely played himself out of the city this year.

Also, if the Celtics win a ring, Horford might be tempted to walk off into the sunset.

Don't think Big Al is giving up his $9.5 million for next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#418 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:51 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Gant wrote:

Don't think Big Al is giving up his $9.5 million for next season regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

Al is gonna end his NBA career the same way he did his college career. With back to back championships :D
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#419 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 2:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
Gant wrote:Also, if the Celtics win a ring, Horford might be tempted to walk off into the sunset.

Al is gonna end his NBA career the same way he did his college career. With back to back championships :D

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,329

Post#420 » by brackdan70 » Tue Apr 9, 2024 3:00 pm

BK_2020 wrote:Congrats, Neemias. A big win for both sides.

Sadly he is past his athletic peak ;)
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics