ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Acquired for Rob W, Brogdon, Picks) 

Post#541 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:35 pm

31to6 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Jrue among elite company...

He definitely has a shot at making the hall of fame.

Another title this season would help his case..

2x All-Star would set a new low for the HOF, am I right? Or is Ginobili that and there already (will check)

Edit to add: https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html
Ginobili was a 2X All Star about BBRef gave him a 20% chance of making the HOF -- he of course did.
Jrue is a 2X All Star and BBref gives him a 0.8% chance of making the HOF -- 42nd among active players. I don't know their formula or their accuracy -- just look at it now and then -- Horford, FWIW, is at 12% (28th among active players) -- put two rings on his fingers and I'd bet it jumps up into Kyle **** Lowry territory! (85% :o )

Guys with noteworthy accomplishments in international play don't need to do as much in the NBA to be HoFers.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#542 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:03 am

Two more titles, one more Olympic Gold, two more All-Defense teams get Jrue to the HoF. ;)
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,287

Post#543 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:26 pm

Read on Twitter
Memokerobi
Rookie
And1: 2,316

Post#544 » by Memokerobi » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:27 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
Read on Twitter

Ughhh. Hope it doesn’t mess with his stroke, he’s been amazing from three
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#545 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:29 am

Read on Twitter
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#546 » by chrisab123 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:29 am

Shut him down for a few weeks until the playoffs
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#547 » by JaMarco » Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm

Hope they aren't hiding a major injury like they did with Brogdon.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#548 » by chrisab123 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:49 pm

JaMarco wrote:Hope they aren't hiding a major injury like they did with Brogdon.

I don't think they are. If he's experiencing dead arm like the report says then shut him down for a couple weeks. Really nothing left to play for. They aren't chasing the GSW record and they've locked everything up more or less.
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#549 » by JaMarco » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:05 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
JaMarco wrote:Hope they aren't hiding a major injury like they did with Brogdon.

I don't think they are. If he's experiencing dead arm like the report says then shut him down for a couple weeks. Really nothing left to play for. They aren't chasing the GSW record and they've locked everything up more or less.

How do you know it will heal in a couple weeks? There was no timetable for return.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#550 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,325

Post#551 » by Gant » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:09 pm

Jrue Holiday says his shoulder is fine.

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#552 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:19 pm

Haven't listened to it yet...

SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,939

Post#553 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:16 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:Haven't listened to it yet...

I came here to post a shorter version of this video. Great watch. Jrue goes into detail about the trade and also speaks highly about the Jays' leadership.

EDIT: I've just watched the rest. Jrue is a class act as usual. After listening to him, I'm even more pumped about this team than I was before.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#555 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

They couldn't have cut out the first 45 seconds where he missed the first 4 shots? lol
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,916

Post#556 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:58 pm

Not that they’re in a rush to get a deal done or anything, but Jrue is eligible for an extension in a couple of days.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,676

Post#557 » by The Corey's » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:57 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Not that they’re in a rush to get a deal done or anything, but Jrue is eligible for an extension in a couple of days.

He hasn't really played like we need to be extending him for big money.

Truthfully I expected more.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#558 » by 31to6 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm

The Corey's wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Not that they’re in a rush to get a deal done or anything, but Jrue is eligible for an extension in a couple of days.

I love how he's played with the Celtics. I don't have stats handy, but feel like his defense has been as advertised -- not as 'showy' as Marcus, but also (unlike Marcus) consistently excellent. Offensively he's sacrificed the most to let the team hum along. He'll remind us he can score here and there, helping keep the defense honest, and his 3pt % is 3rd in the league and otherworldly from the corners -- but offensively what I love most is when he decides he's going to post someone up and score on them. Loved it when Marcus did that, love it when Jrue does that and I think (again, no stats) he scores at a really efficient rate down there. Plus he'll hang in the dunker spot and make plays for other guys just because he does what he wants.

So I wasn't expecting him to come in and put up 20ppg -- he could on most teams, but for this one to be excellent someone needs to be down around 13, and he is, on great efficiency, and could (my opinion) turn it up if needed. Having him as a 'fifth best' starter is preposterous -- and probably incorrect -- but I love it and I home they back up the Brinks truck for him. $120/4 might not be possible; maybe $120/3? After that, Yam Madar will be ready to take over ;)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,676

Post#559 » by The Corey's » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 pm

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

I love how he's played with the Celtics. I don't have stats handy, but feel like his defense has been as advertised -- not as 'showy' as Marcus, but also (unlike Marcus) consistently excellent. Offensively he's sacrificed the most to let the team hum along. He'll remind us he can score here and there, helping keep the defense honest, and his 3pt % is 3rd in the league and otherworldly from the corners -- but offensively what I love most is when he decides he's going to post someone up and score on them. Loved it when Marcus did that, love it when Jrue does that and I think (again, no stats) he scores at a really efficient rate down there. Plus he'll hang in the dunker spot and make plays for other guys just because he does what he wants.

So I wasn't expecting him to come in and put up 20ppg -- he could on most teams, but for this one to be excellent someone needs to be down around 13, and he is, on great efficiency, and could (my opinion) turn it up if needed. Having him as a 'fifth best' starter is preposterous -- and probably incorrect -- but I love it and I home they back up the Brinks truck for him. $120/4 might not be possible; maybe $120/3? After that, Yam Madar will be ready to take over ;)

He's not a 37 million a year player. Certainly not at ages 35,36 and 37.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#560 » by 31to6 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:38 am

The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:

He's not a 37 million a year player. Certainly not at ages 35,36 and 37.

With the cap increasing, we have to reset our standards for what a $20M, $30M, etc player is perhaps annually.

More important, it’ll hopefully be a question of whether or not to pay/maybe overpay to bring a title-winning team back to try to defend their crown. I hope Wyc and co will pony up to do so. With the Jays over $60 each this team will be over the cap for the foreseeable future. Contenders have to splurge to keep it together — or not and wither. I think Jrue’s game will age well — IMO it already is.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.

Return to Boston Celtics