ImageImageImage

Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Signs Extension: 4yrs/$135M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,687

Re: Welcome Jrue Holiday! (Acquired for Rob W, Brogdon, Picks) 

Post#561 » by The Corey's » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:27 am

31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
I love how he's played with the Celtics. I don't have stats handy, but feel like his defense has been as advertised -- not as 'showy' as Marcus, but also (unlike Marcus) consistently excellent. Offensively he's sacrificed the most to let the team hum along. He'll remind us he can score here and there, helping keep the defense honest, and his 3pt % is 3rd in the league and otherworldly from the corners -- but offensively what I love most is when he decides he's going to post someone up and score on them. Loved it when Marcus did that, love it when Jrue does that and I think (again, no stats) he scores at a really efficient rate down there. Plus he'll hang in the dunker spot and make plays for other guys just because he does what he wants.

So I wasn't expecting him to come in and put up 20ppg -- he could on most teams, but for this one to be excellent someone needs to be down around 13, and he is, on great efficiency, and could (my opinion) turn it up if needed. Having him as a 'fifth best' starter is preposterous -- and probably incorrect -- but I love it and I home they back up the Brinks truck for him. $120/4 might not be possible; maybe $120/3? After that, Yam Madar will be ready to take over ;)

He's not a 37 million a year player. Certainly not at ages 35,36 and 37.

With the cap increasing, we have to reset our standards for what a $20M, $30M, etc player is perhaps annually.

More important, it’ll hopefully be a question of whether or not to pay/maybe overpay to bring a title-winning team back to try to defend their crown. I hope Wyc and co will pony up to do so. With the Jays over $60 each this team will be over the cap for the foreseeable future. Contenders have to splurge to keep it together — or not and wither. I think Jrue’s game will age well — IMO it already is.

He's making 37 mil before the reset. You wanna throw him more?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,995

Post#562 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:57 am

The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
He's not a 37 million a year player. Certainly not at ages 35,36 and 37.

With the cap increasing, we have to reset our standards for what a $20M, $30M, etc player is perhaps annually.

More important, it’ll hopefully be a question of whether or not to pay/maybe overpay to bring a title-winning team back to try to defend their crown. I hope Wyc and co will pony up to do so. With the Jays over $60 each this team will be over the cap for the foreseeable future. Contenders have to splurge to keep it together — or not and wither. I think Jrue’s game will age well — IMO it already is.

I think that, if Jrue Opts-in, then he gets Traded. -- I can see him going for a 3-yr contract, with a 4th-yr Option.
Whether it's a Team Option, or a Player Option, is the Question.

Also, What do y'all think that he would be looking for, in an Extension? -- I mean, he'll be 34 by the end of the Playoffs.
I think that he has to have a Descending Contract? = $30 - $28 - $26 - $24???

Edit:
Maybe even something more Team friendly?

Pay = $30M - $27M - $24M - $21M
Age = 34yrs - 35yrs - 36yrs - 37yrs
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,074

Post#563 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:42 pm

Read on Twitter
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#564 » by 31to6 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:34 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
31to6 wrote:

I think that, if Jrue Opts-in, then he gets Traded. -- I can see him going for a 3-yr contract, with a 4th-yr Option.
Whether it's a Team Option, or a Player Option, is the Question.

Also, What do y'all think that he would be looking for, in an Extension? -- I mean, he'll be 34 by the end of the Playoffs.
I think that he has to have a Descending Contract? = $30 - $28 - $26 - $24???

Edit:
Maybe even something more Team friendly?

Corey’s, I’ll want them to pay to keep the starting lineup intact, yes. It costs what it costs and those $$s were all known when they traded Rob, Malcolm, and two firsts for him.

Parl I’m an optimist sometimes too, but IMO you’re going way overboard with the optimism here. There aren’t many descending contracts in league history, and if Jrue declines his option (at $37M) then the extension has to start at $37M.

As I said a couple of posts ago, with cap increases, we have to get used to new $$ amounts annually. $20M used to be a star and then $30M was and now $40M can be a starter on a contender. Or … you let him walk for nothing and start Pritchard or Al, but are nowhere near being below that salary cap (ever) or luxury tax (I presume, not checking, but also don’t care if we have a contender). Or you trade him, but it needs to be a dollar-for-dollar match, and I don’t know who that would be? Probably not someone who’s a better player or better fit than Jrue.

If you don’t extend Jrue then look no further than PHI for a team that’ll have max cap space this summer and feel like they need one addition to put them over the top. They did it with Al and unlike last time, this time they might be right.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#565 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:01 pm

Windhorst said last week there’s mutual interest in an extension with Jrue. He’s eligible today. We’ll see if one gets done.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,965

Post#566 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:52 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Maybe even something more Team friendly?

It all comes down to how much Jrue Holiday really wants to stay in Boston. Hoilday has an option for $39 million next year. Your scenario basically has Holiday accepting his option and extending at 3 years $63 million ($21 million per year, $102 million total). I'm be surprised if that happens. I'm guessing it would be more.

If Holiday declined his option and wanted a 4 year deal, how much would teams pay? I think at least $120 million.

Going to be interesting to see what gets done. Celtics still have to pay D White.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,115

Post#567 » by fallguy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:41 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:

It all comes down to how much Jrue Holiday really wants to stay in Boston. Hoilday has an option for $39 million next year. Your scenario basically has Holiday accepting his option and extending at 3 years $63 million ($21 million per year, $102 million total). I'm be surprised if that happens. I'm guessing it would be more.

If Holiday declined his option and wanted a 4 year deal, how much would teams pay? I think at least $120 million.

Going to be interesting to see what gets done. Celtics still have to pay D White.

I still think Jaylen will ultimately be the one to go.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,965

Post#568 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:12 pm

fallguy wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Getting rid of Jaylen Brown to keep Holiday makes zero sense.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#569 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:59 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
fallguy wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:It all comes down to how much Jrue Holiday really wants to stay in Boston. Hoilday has an option for $39 million next year. Your scenario basically has Holiday accepting his option and extending at 3 years $63 million ($21 million per year, $102 million total). I'm be surprised if that happens. I'm guessing it would be more.

I believe he's saying that Jaylen just makes too much cash and you could potentially replace him while getting assets and a younger guy on a better contract. Obvious that Jaylen is much better than Jrue.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,115

Post#570 » by fallguy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:57 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
fallguy wrote:

I believe he's saying that Jaylen just makes too much cash and you could potentially replace him while getting assets and a younger guy on a better contract. Obvious that Jaylen is much better than Jrue.

Can't pay everyone on this roster. Jaylen would bring in a massive haul and enable us to keep KP-DW-JT and Jrue.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#571 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:02 am

fallguy wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Getting rid of Jaylen Brown to keep Holiday makes zero sense.

Can't pay everyone on this roster. Jaylen would bring in a massive haul and enable us to keep KP-DW-JT and Jrue.

If they don't win the title this year, it'll probably be Jaylen that goes. Unless Jrue takes a substantial pay cut (which I wouldn't rule out), it'd be tough to bring everyone back next year.

If they win the title, pay whatever the **** it takes to keep the team
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#572 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 3, 2024 3:16 pm

Long-ass, satisfying read.
Read on Twitter
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,604

Post#573 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 3, 2024 11:28 pm

Not knocking Jrue. What he has done is so under-appreciated IMO. Taking a backseat to become basically the 5th option can not be easy. He has glued us in so many ways. Hitting his corner 3s at a NBA high is also noteworthy. But with everything already stated, I would love Boston to consider extending and then trading him this offseason. as some stated, we can't pay everyone. I really want Boston to extend D White for what he is worth. I also think Hauser can easily step into a starting Role and provide Boston a great floor spacing role player that will never need to get a lot of touches to be effective like so many players seem to be. Extending Jrue for "big Dollars" might be taking one step forward with 2 steps back.

These upcoming playoffs may help shed some light on how valuable he may be or rather how replaceable he may be. And I reserve to right to change my mind after this postseason..

Just thinking ahead a bit..
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#574 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:06 am

Read on Twitter
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,318

Post#575 » by chrisab123 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:01 pm

Extension yet?
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#576 » by shackles10 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:34 pm

chrisab123 wrote:Extension yet?

Yeah you didn't see the totally legitimate and completely not made up post on April 1st?
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#577 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:39 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
fallguy wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

If they don't win the title this year, it'll probably be Jaylen that goes. Unless Jrue takes a substantial pay cut (which I wouldn't rule out), it'd be tough to bring everyone back next year.

If they win the title, pay whatever the **** it takes to keep the team

I think this is our year, if it isn't I would be massively disappointed.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#578 » by SLCceltic » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:44 pm

Jrue is low-key NECESSARY for us...

can't let him get outta here

...unless he's extended and we move him.
ROYALGREEN
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#579 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:48 pm

Read on Twitter
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,707

Post#580 » by SLCceltic » Fri Apr 5, 2024 10:59 pm

The NBA is the last of the five major U.S. men’s leagues in line for new media rights deals. It currently has two primary TV contracts, with ESPN and Turner Sports, that will have paid it a combined $24 billion by the time the pacts end after the 2024-25 season.

Last year, CNBC reported that sources familiar with the league’s media rights plans pegged the hoped-for figure at around $75 billion — an obviously significant increase over the current $24 billion. Whether that’s purely a negotiating figure floated for winds-testing, and the league has a secret smaller number it finds acceptable, we’ll have to wait to see.

Maybe perfect timing for us ??
ROYALGREEN

Return to Boston Celtics