ImageImageImage

Celtics 2023-24, Season Thread, (con't)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Re: Celtics 2023-24, Season Thread, (con't) 

Post#1341 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:43 am

Some of my favorite parts of this season have been people flip flopping and giving JB his credit, PP his credit, Kornet his, Hauser, and even the few DWhite stragglers coming around. Not because I’m homers of any of those guys or love seeing people eat crow either. It’s because people changing their mind on them means serious improvement from those players and those are good things for the Celtics chances at a ring or 3. That’s really all I care about.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,490

Post#1342 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:00 am

shackles10 wrote:Some of my favorite parts of this season have been people flip flopping and giving JB his credit, PP his credit, Kornet his, Hauser, and even the few DWhite stragglers coming around. Not because I’m homers of any of those guys or love seeing people eat crow either. It’s because people changing their mind on them means serious improvement from those players and those are good things for the Celtics chances at a ring or 3. That’s really all I care about.

I agree and also think it's good when people are open to changing their mind based on changing information. I think it's a mature approach to things and says something good about the person/people.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,287

Post#1343 » by KillahGhostface » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:05 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Some of my favorite parts of this season have been people flip flopping and giving JB his credit, PP his credit, Kornet his, Hauser, and even the few DWhite stragglers coming around. Not because I’m homers of any of those guys or love seeing people eat crow either. It’s because people changing their mind on them means serious improvement from those players and those are good things for the Celtics chances at a ring or 3. That’s really all I care about.

I agree and also think it's good when people are open to changing their mind based on changing information. I think it's a mature approach to things and says something good about the person/people.

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1344 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:45 am

KillahGhostface wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,006

Post#1345 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:43 am

My take is support every Celtic player that will help the Cs win a championship.

I've been hard on JB early in the season because he was making a lot of stupid mistakes.

But right now JB deserves praise for not only his improved play, but also for his hard work.

That's one of the strengths of the Jays, their work ethic.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,006

Post#1346 » by Fierce1 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:49 am

The opposite happened with me about Marcus Smart.

Early in his career I was a big fan of Smart.

But when he became a starter and became the de facto leader of the Cs, I just couldn't support that.

Look at the Cs right now with the Jays becoming the leaders of the Cs.

Marcus Smart was just not the right guy to lead this Cs team.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1347 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:13 am

Fierce1 wrote:The opposite happened with me about Marcus Smart.

Early in his career I was a big fan of Smart.

But when he became a starter and became the de facto leader of the Cs, I just couldn't support that.

Look at the Cs right now with the Jays becoming the leaders of the Cs.

Marcus Smart was just not the right guy to lead this Cs team.

I don’t fault Smart for not being 7’3” or not being Jrue Holiday lol, but instead praise Brad for reconstructing the roster with those 2 pieces that imo are much more important than any growth in leadership the Jays have had. I’ll even hot take it a little and say I’m not sure there’s been much to any leadership growth from those two because we really haven’t had any tests of it this season. The roster is so good because of Brad, we’ve been in first for pretty much the entire season with a large lead for a bit too. We’ll see how their leadership is in the playoffs. I’m not doubting them, just grading their leadership as an “incomplete” for now. Not mad at the Jays or Brad for this either.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,928

Post#1348 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:27 pm

Read on Twitter
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1349 » by shackles10 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:35 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm a big fan of any time the word "silly" can be used to describe our play. Unless we turn into the Wizards or Pistons... then silly is no good.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,595

Post#1350 » by bisme37 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:50 pm

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#1351 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:37 pm

Starting five in top 60. Another four rotation players in top 150.
Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#1352 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:49 am

Tillman is steadily getting more minutes. He's more versatile than Queta.
I still think that we should Convert Queta, before the end of the Regular Season.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#1353 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:22 pm

Parliament10 wrote:I still think that we should Convert Queta, before the end of the Regular Season.

I would have never guessed you felt that way :wink:
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#1354 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Tillman is steadily getting more minutes. He's more versatile than Queta.
I still think that we should Convert Queta, before the end of the Regular Season.

I've been big on Queta, but doubt they need him in the playoffs now that they have Tillman and Luke is playing well.

My guess is they make a decision on Queta this summer, after they have a sense of if Tillman is staying.

I imagine they get some luxury tax savings this way (by only carrying 14 guys); I don't remember if this is advantageous for hoping to retain Queta longer term or not?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#1355 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:15 pm

31to6 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Tillman is steadily getting more minutes. He's more versatile than Queta.

I've been big on Queta, but doubt they need him in the playoffs now that they have Tillman and Luke is playing well.

My guess is they make a decision on Queta this summer, after they have a sense of if Tillman is staying.

I imagine they get some luxury tax savings this way (by only carrying 14 guys); I don't remember if this is advantageous for hoping to retain Queta longer term or not?

Unless I am doing something wrong, Queta is an RFA and we can match this summer. But if Boston waits to this summer, don't they risk some team (it only takes one) to sign him for way more than we would be willing to match? Isn't signing or extending him now at what we would want > taking the chances come summer?
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#1356 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:28 pm

playa-hater wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Unless I am doing something wrong, Queta is an RFA and we can match this summer. But if Boston waits to this summer, don't they risk some team (it only takes one) to sign him for way more than we would be willing to match? Isn't signing or extending him now at what we would want > taking the chances come summer?

I think you're right about all of that. I think also that he's eligible for a two-year minimum, and it might be a better way to play those cards to hope you can start year 1 of that in the fall instead of having this year (almost over) count almost retroactively as year 1.

If they're not going to sign him to a real contract this season, it might honestly be a benefit to NOT play him hardly at all the rest of the season -- not in Maine, not in Boston -- so that other teams don't ask for him in trades I mean so that he basically slides off of the FA radar a bit.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#1357 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:I still think that we should Convert Queta, before the end of the Regular Season.

I would have never guessed you felt that way :wink:

Hahaha!!! :lol:

Can you tell???
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#1358 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:06 pm

playa-hater wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Yes, that's possible.

But on the flip side:

Some of these roster moves don't always come down to what's best for the celtics. Sometimes it comes down to what's best for *the player*. If another team out there is willing to sign Queta to a multi-year contract for like $5-$8 mil a year to be their 2nd string big man, that might not be what's best for the Celtics, but it's absolutely what's best for Queta. Sure beats signing with Boston for the minimum (or having to stay on a 2-way contract for the 4th straight year) and be Boston's 5th string big man.

I wonder what the conversations are like with Queta and his agent. Would he even accept an offer from Boston? Or would he "bet on himself" and try to get an offer this summer from another team for more money and more playing time.

Seems like Boston is in wait and see mode with Queta. There's some things up in the air with Kornet, Tillman and Queta all being free agents this summer. Seems like Brad would prefer to just wait till the summer, try to get deals done with Tillman Kornet first (they're the guys who are more developed, on standard NBA contracts, are actually contributing to the team during the stretch run) and then possibly work out a deal with Queta after that - while also seeing what happens in the draft (perhaps we draft a big which might impact how motivated Brad is to re-sign Queta..

And Queta (and his agent) might also be in wait and see mode. They might not want to commit to Boston and take a lowball offer now (it would be a lowball offer now since he's our 5th string big and getting DNP's every night right now) when they could wait till the summer and see what kind of offers come in from other teams..while also waiting to see if perhaps Boston makes him a better offer if Kornet and/or Tillman sign elsewhere this summer..

Both sides (Boston and Queta's camp) maintain flexibility by not signing anything long term right now. Which is why if Boston fills the 15th roster spot, perhaps they fill it with Davison, Peterson or some other lesser known guy out of the G League..a.k.a., a player where there is less complexity around his situation. A player where there isn't this complexity of either locking a guy into a contract that might not be in the player's (or the team's ) best interest..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#1359 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:22 am

The Celtics have the #2 record, #1 net rating, #1 offensive rating, and #4 defensive rating against the top 10 teams in league (based on net rating w/o garbage time). Only team who's top 5 in offense and defense against that top subset of opponents. This despite the blowout losses to the Clippers and Bucks.

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,287

Post#1360 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:26 pm

Return to Boston Celtics