ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Xavier Tillman!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,162

Re: Welcome to Boston, Xavier Tillman! 

Post#221 » by chakdaddy » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:32 am

Al is a good role model on how to develop the 3 pt shot (in addition to being a good role model in every other way)
chakdaddy
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,162

Post#222 » by chakdaddy » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:32 am

Meanwhile, Brissett reminds me of Darren Daye.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,564

Post#223 » by 165bows » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:34 am

Gant wrote:Tillman is really sort of a Grant Williams replacement- a not tall, quick footed, immovable widebody. Previous to the X acquisition, GWill's former minutes have gone to Hauser and Kornet, who are much different.

Grant Williams, despite his shortcomings, did a few things well: 1) he shot the three, and 2) everybody bounced off him when they tried to bang him to get position. Even Giannis and Embiid couldn't budge him.
(Many Bucks fans have claimed the Celtics would sorely miss Batman on defense vs Mr. Very Long Greek guy. Feel free to snicker at this assessment.)

Enter Xavier Tillman, another mostly below the rim, somewhat short big man. Unlike Williams, Tillman is not an effective three point shooter, which is Grant's meaningful advantage. What Tillman is though, is another nimble wall.

Tillman brings a four inch plus wingspan upgrade, giving him more versatility. He passes better than Grant. He rebounds much better.

The Celtics have the rest of the season to see how much Xavier will play come playoff time. It's early days.

I’m going to say Tillman is a much better defender, as Grant really wasn’t that good last year.

I’m wondering just how good Tillman is on defense. It does seem like (in very limited sample size) guys really hesitate to go at him despite his limited vertical.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,239

Post#224 » by Fierce1 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 2:47 am

165bows wrote:
Gant wrote:Tillman is really sort of a Grant Williams replacement- a not tall, quick footed, immovable widebody. Previous to the X acquisition, GWill's former minutes have gone to Hauser and Kornet, who are much different.

Grant Williams, despite his shortcomings, did a few things well: 1) he shot the three, and 2) everybody bounced off him when they tried to bang him to get position. Even Giannis and Embiid couldn't budge him.
(Many Bucks fans have claimed the Celtics would sorely miss Batman on defense vs Mr. Very Long Greek guy. Feel free to snicker at this assessment.)

Enter Xavier Tillman, another mostly below the rim, somewhat short big man. Unlike Williams, Tillman is not an effective three point shooter, which is Grant's meaningful advantage. What Tillman is though, is another nimble wall.

Tillman brings a four inch plus wingspan upgrade, giving him more versatility. He passes better than Grant. He rebounds much better.

The Celtics have the rest of the season to see how much Xavier will play come playoff time. It's early days.

I’m going to say Tillman is a much better defender, as Grant really wasn’t that good last year.

I’m wondering just how good Tillman is on defense. It does seem like (in very limited sample size) guys really hesitate to go at him despite his limited vertical.

That's because he has long arms.

Grant could keep up 1 on 1, but Grant can't block shots because of short arms.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,441

Post#225 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 4:15 am

I think Tillman is more a replacement for Timelord. He obviously isn't the same caliber of shot blocker, but he is disruptive in his own ways, probably a better all around defender, and he also provides a stronger presence down low (literally).

On the offensive end he might not be as electric throwing down 'oops, but like Timelord he is a raw player yet a good passer.

Ultimately his role is similar to Timelord's. On the defensive end, ideally, he can be Giannis to KP's Brook Lopez.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,738

Post#226 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Mar 4, 2024 12:08 pm

No disrespect to Grampa Al, but X is now our most switchable big. He really fits perfectly for our goal of having defensive versatility and malleability. I think he's the big version of Jrue on D.

Read on Twitter
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,920

Post#227 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:08 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:No disrespect to Grampa Al, but X is now our most switchable big. He really fits perfectly for our goal of having defensive versatility and malleability. I think he's the big version of Jrue on D.

Read on Twitter

I want X just becoming Horfords shadow.

If Horford takes a **** I want X taking notes on how he does it from execution to clean up.
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,998

Post#228 » by cl2117 » Mon Mar 4, 2024 1:55 pm

Obviously they have very similar builds, but X really reminds me of Horford defensively. They both get in that low/wide stance and use their length to bridge the gap.

They don't get drawn in the air on pump fakes and use their length to stay in shooters' space. That leaves them in good position to stay in front of them with their lateral quickness when guys try and take them off the dribble. And when they do get beat, they again use that length to recover/challenge from behind rather than bumping and fouling.

It's too much to expect Tillman to ever give us all that Al does, but if he could eventually take on the same defensive duties Horford does now, that'd be huge. Glad we've got his bird rights and can keep him around. Will be very interesting to see what his market is, especially if he gets any playing time in the playoffs.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,983

Post#229 » by sam_I_am » Mon Mar 4, 2024 5:50 pm

cl2117 wrote:Obviously they have very similar builds, but X really reminds me of Horford defensively. They both get in that low/wide stance and use their length to bridge the gap.

They don't get drawn in the air on pump fakes and use their length to stay in shooters' space. That leaves them in good position to stay in front of them with their lateral quickness when guys try and take them off the dribble. And when they do get beat, they again use that length to recover/challenge from behind rather than bumping and fouling.

It's too much to expect Tillman to ever give us all that Al does, but if he could eventually take on the same defensive duties Horford does now, that'd be huge. Glad we've got his bird rights and can keep him around. Will be very interesting to see what his market is, especially if he gets any playing time in the playoffs.

Agreed. Al is a much better rim protector and was an elite all around player in his prime which X will never be. That said, X is very disruptive with his long arms and the strength to bother bigs, wings and guards alike.

Kornet and Queta are okay against true centers but they could be lacking against some small ball lineups. X fills that niche better than Ochai, who I also like, and might be a great depth option against Giannis.
KamikazeK
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,864

Post#230 » by KamikazeK » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:01 am

I thought he looked good against Dallas but he took it to another level against the Warriors. Defensively, he looked at times like he's been playing with this group for years. Really excited to see what he can do for us. Maybe win a playoff game this year for us?
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#231 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 5, 2024 5:24 am

KamikazeK wrote:I thought he looked good against Dallas but he took it to another level against the Warriors. Defensively, he looked at times like he's been playing with this group for years. Really excited to see what he can do for us. Maybe win a playoff game this year for us?

Leon Powe 2024.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#232 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 5, 2024 1:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Tillman said he had no advance notice he would make his rotation debut that night. Since joining the Celtics, he has acclimated himself by working with assistant coach D.J. MacLeay and soaking up information from the team’s veteran players. Tillman said it helped to have as much time as he has gotten to learn the ways of his new team before stepping on the court for real minutes.

After seeing 15 minutes against Dallas, he received another 18 during Sunday’s win against Golden State. Boston was a little short-handed in that game without Kristaps Porziņģis (quad contusion). When Boston is fully healthy, Mazzulla will need to figure out who to play in a frontcourt that now has Horford, Luke Kornet and Tillman behind Porziņģis. Tillman’s versatility should give Mazzulla more lineup flexibility. Though Kornet and Horford have both delivered solid seasons, the Celtics defense has been shredded when both big men share the court. Tillman, who can also handle the center spot, should be able to let them play a little differently when they do want to use a more traditional frontcourt. He has enjoyed playing with Horford so far.

“Having the IQ and skill level that he does and the experience and the wiseness will allow me to kind of like play free and then he can kind of guide me in the best ways to help the team versus me (having to overthink) everything,” Tillman said. “And a lot of stuff too like just the way we go about stuff, I feel like Al can help me a lot as far as like when coach draws up the play or when he comes out with a defensive scheme I’m like, ‘Al, what did he say?’ Or, ‘Al, what are we doing right here?’”
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 54,223

Post#233 » by Parliament10 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 4:38 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,758

Post#234 » by Green89 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:42 pm

No idea why Tillman wasn't in the game in the 4th Q when you have a 22 point lead. If you're going to use bench guys in that stretch, use your best defenders. A few stops and the game is over.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,199

Post#235 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:19 pm

Read on Twitter

He looks like a guy who's been with the team for more than a season. I really like his fit.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,299

Post#236 » by djFan71 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:00 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

He looks like a guy who's been with the team for more than a season. I really like his fit.

He also looks like a guy who's been on ATL, then with the team, then some hellhole, then obscurity, then back with the team for a few years.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,199

Post#237 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:05 am

djFan71 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

He also looks like a guy who's been on ATL, then with the team, then some hellhole, then obscurity, then back with the team for a few years.

And in all that time somehow de-aged by a dozen years! :o
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,105

Post#238 » by SuperDeluxe » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:32 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

And in all that time somehow de-aged by a dozen years! :o

All while looking 35.
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,676

Post#239 » by lon3lytoaster » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:47 pm

I'd really like to see him get more run than just an emergency backup. He was a good pickup for us.. Fits a pretty useful archetype of a smaller big who's just going to grit and grind every possession. PJ Tucker sort of mold.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,486

Post#240 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:35 pm

Somehow I get him and Al mixed up during the game all the time like they look alike, but in reality they look nothing alike. Anyone else having this happen mid-game? Sorry X-man, but Al is much better looking than you. No disrespect as Al is much better looking than me too lol.

Return to Boston Celtics