ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Jaden Springer!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Re: Welcome to Boston, Jaden Springer! 

Post#181 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 pm

the first game in Atlanta was the first time I was encouraged. Not ready to invest in Springer Island yet, but he showed some flashes! Including boinking that corner 3 -- it was online. And he got called for two key fouls -- one on Murray and I think the other against Hunter -- but both contests were of a quality most guys simply can't do. Plus his full-court take and score! Nice job young Rick Fox look-alike:)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#182 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:16 pm

31to6 wrote:the first game in Atlanta was the first time I was encouraged. Not ready to invest in Springer Island yet, but he showed some flashes! Including boinking that corner 3 -- it was online. And he got called for two key fouls -- one on Murray and I think the other against Hunter -- but both contests were of a quality most guys simply can't do. Plus his full-court take and score! Nice job young Rick Fox look-alike:)

Agreed except I don't see the Rick Fox look-alike unless you're talking like how Tillman and Al look alike than sure. Rick Fox is Al in this analogy if it wasn't obvious.
31to6
RealGM

Post#183 » by 31to6 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Jersey #, size general build, hair to a degree. Not talking facial characteristics -- in retrospect Rick was always too pretty for BOS so almost 30 years later I guess it's not a surprise he went to LA. Not a Tillman/Al situation -- those are clones (again, not facially).

shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#184 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:36 pm

31to6 wrote:Jersey #, size general build, hair to a degree. Not talking facial characteristics -- in retrospect Rick was always too pretty for BOS so almost 30 years later I guess it's not a surprise he went to LA. Not a Tillman/Al situation -- those are clones (again, not facially).

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#185 » by threrf23 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

he's missing the Reebok pumps
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,958

Post#186 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:30 pm

Springer played well for the Maine Celtics, the next day (Tuesday).
I'm warming up to him.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,157

Post#187 » by Hal14 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 pm

Yeah, played some good D vs the Hawks on Monday and then dropped 26 points for the Maine Celtics on Tuesday. He's definitely got some potential.

Obviously the question is can he shoot and can he provide enough value on offense. But I think even if we aren't getting much on offense, he can still contribute because what I am seeing on film is the potential for him to be truly *elite* as a defender. He does need to work on limiting fouls (it was a bit of an issue for him in Philly, too).

But that's the only thing he has to work on defensively. Everything else - the way he picks up guys in the back court and can defend 94 feet, the way he really locks in and is engaged defensively, the lateral quickness, the way he can slide his feet and flip his hips to stay with his man, the motor..the strength, the athleticism, decent size for a guard at 6'4"..some flashes of rim protection..

I know we've thrown out as bunch of different comps in this thread. But I think the best one might be Gary Payton II. They're similar in size, both good athleticism. Both tough, fearless dudes who play with a bit of an edge. Both really good defenders who really get after it on D, can lock people up out on the perimeter and even show some flashes of rim protection.

But both limited on offense. Not very good shooters. Not even much of a ball handler, playmaker or driver. Mainly just adds value on offense by crashing the offensive boards, making some cuts, get some transition finishes and maybe on a rare occasion, hit a 3 or make a slick pass.

That was basically what GPII did for the warriors..and he was their 8th man, getting solid rotation mins when they won the 2022 title. The Warriors had other guys who could score. GPII came in, played hard, brought some energy, played really good D and gave their other guys (steph, Poole, Klay, Wiggins) a breather..

I can see Springer filling a similar role for Boston, eventually. And keep in mind GPII was 29 on that 2022 warriors team. Springer is only 21 right now so while he does have a chance at being a GPII type of player, Springer's ceiling is actually higher than that, if he can develop more of an offensive game (shooting, driving, ball handling, playmaking..)

Not saying it'll take 8 more years for Springer to develop into that type of player, of course. Just saying that the potential is there for him to be that type of player, eventually.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#188 » by shackles10 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 pm

Ain’t no way we’re waiting 8 years for Springer to turn into GP2 Hal :lol:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,293

Post#189 » by brackdan70 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:46 am

shackles10 wrote:Ain’t no way we’re waiting 8 years for Springer to turn into GP2 Hal :lol:

I’ll give him 5 years to be GP1. GP2 in 2.
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM

Post#190 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:22 pm

shackles10 wrote:Ain’t no way we’re waiting 8 years for Springer to turn into GP2 Hal :lol:

I didn't say we were..

I simply pointed out their ages because:

a) To further illustrate the point I made earlier in the thread - that typically this archetype (guys like GP2, Dennis Smith Jr, Kris Dunn, Tony Allen, Bruce Brown, Caruso, Avery Bradley, etc.) are late bloomers, guys who don't really start finding their groove in the league until they're at least age 23-25 (sometimes even 28 or 29). So we shouldn't be so quick to judge Springer and we shouldn't be expecting miracles from him on day 1 in a Celtics uniform at age 21.

These types of guys typically take time. Let's be patient. We could have ourselves a gem here.

b) It means Springer has a higher ceiling, long term than GP2..

With that being said, you may have known all of that and were just kidding lol..hard to tell on here sometimes.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#191 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:31 pm

Hal14 wrote:

I didn't say we were..

I simply pointed out their ages because:

a) To further illustrate the point I made earlier in the thread - that typically this archetype (guys like GP2, Dennis Smith Jr, Kris Dunn, Tony Allen, Bruce Brown, Caruso, etc.) are late bloomers, guys who don't really start finding their groove in the league until they're at least age 23-25 (sometimes even 28 or 29). So we shouldn't be so quick to judge Springer and we shouldn't be expecting miracles from him on day 1 in a Celtics uniform at age 21.

These types of guys typically take time. Let's be patient. We could have ourselves a gem here.

b) It means Springer has a higher ceiling

snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#192 » by snowman » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:44 pm

I don't see Rick Fox as much, but I see more of a Tony Allen. Not much of a scorer but can drive some and hit an open jump shop at times. His main ability is he can lock up a ball handler for a full 94 feet.
31to6
RealGM

Post#193 » by 31to6 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:14 pm

After the CHA game (trash opponent, but Jaden showed some midrange offense we hadn't seen yet) I'm starting to move some assets around to prepare to make an initial investment in Springer Island.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,293

Post#194 » by brackdan70 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:31 pm

31to6 wrote:After the CHA game (trash opponent, but Jaden showed some midrange offense we hadn't seen yet) I'm starting to move some assets around to prepare to make an initial investment in Springer Island.

Get in while you can. I just snapped up some beach front on the Lee side. Going to build luxury condos and a Celtics themed pub .
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM

Post#195 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:44 pm

31to6 wrote:After the CHA game (trash opponent, but Jaden showed some midrange offense we hadn't seen yet) I'm starting to move some assets around to prepare to make an initial investment in Springer Island.

There was a video one of the beat writers posted on Twitter a few weeks ago where a few of the guys were playing 1's at practice. And Springer (in addition to playing some nice D) showed some of the same dribble drive/mid range flashes.

But it's nice to see it translating to an actual game.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#196 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:03 am

░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
31to6
RealGM

Post#197 » by 31to6 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:58 am

brackdan70 wrote:

Get in while you can. I just snapped up some beach front on the Lee side. Going to build luxury condos and a Celtics themed pub .

guess I'll head to the windward(?) side with my tent and some whiskey. Will stumble over to your luxury condos to urinate and tell everyone 'ah knewww it ahhhll alonngg'
See you there!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#198 » by Hal14 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:11 pm

Read on Twitter
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#199 » by shackles10 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:52 pm

Not as athletic as TA was before his knee injury but his peskiness and strength on the perimeter remind me of Tony. Feed him Salmon and Mashed Potatoes all off-season and he'll be ready to contribute as a bench stopper. He also reminds me of a guy we'd see on the Heat that would kill us on defense more than anything, but hit some wild ass shots on offense too and get a couple easy dunks that drive you wild and you're especially annoyed because you're thinking the whole time there's no way this guy should be even a factor against us. Would be nice to have a guy like that in our jersey for a change.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,561

Post#200 » by playa-hater » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

There is a role for Springer in Boston/NBA. But only if he can shoot.. And I mean better than Brissett. I don't want any more players with suspect shooting. It kills ball movement and spacing. But because he is 21 and does have decent mechanics from what I see, he has time. But not much IMO. He needs to show steady shooting improvements by early next year.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS

Return to Boston Celtics