ImageImageImage

Celtics Defeat Heat, Become Super Bowl Champions! Victory Cigar vs MIA 2/11

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
44%
Brown
2%
KP
42%
White
1%
Jrue
8%
Horford
1%
Pritchard
1%
Hauser
No votes
Kornet
No votes
Other/Coach/Team
1%

Total votes: 98

BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,198

Re: Celtics Defeat Heat, Become Super Bowl Champions! Victory Cigar vs MIA 2/11 

Post#101 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:29 am

Paija wrote:I was finally able to watch the game live, because of time zone differences. There was a moment where one could see that KP is injured and not moving well, especially back on defense, but coach did not ask for timeout for several possessions. And if I am not mistaken, Heat run started exactly then.

We were up 9 then someone committed a flagrant-1 on an offensive possession, turning the ball over and leading to a 5 point possession on the other end. That was the extent of the Miami run.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,021

Post#102 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:38 am

BK_2020 wrote:
Paija wrote:I was finally able to watch the game live, because of time zone differences. There was a moment where one could see that KP is injured and not moving well, especially back on defense, but coach did not ask for timeout for several possessions. And if I am not mistaken, Heat run started exactly then.

We were up 9 then someone committed a flagrant-1 on an offensive possession, turning the ball over and leading to a 5 point possession on the other end. That was the extent of the Miami run.

Paija is talking about the 13-2 run Miami went on in the 3rd Q. KP was clearly limping for several possessions but Joe didn't call timeout until lead was cut from 15 to 4. Horford came in and we got the lead back up to 10. Later revealed KP had back spasms but was cleared to return.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#103 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:58 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Paija is talking about the 13-2 run Miami went on in the 3rd Q. KP was clearly limping for several possessions but Joe didn't call timeout until lead was cut from 15 to 4. Horford came in and we got the lead back up to 10. Later revealed KP had back spasms but was cleared to return.

Ah you mean the run that was already 8-2 before Porzingis grabbed his back and the TV guys mentioned he was hurting then Bam got a freebie off an airballed hook and Herro hit a semi-transition pull up three to make it 13-2?
Runs happen all the time and it's more like than not that coaches don't have as much control over them as people think they do.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#104 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:03 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:We were up 9 then someone committed a flagrant-1 on an offensive possession, turning the ball over and leading to a 5 point possession on the other end. That was the extent of the Miami run.

Ah you mean the run that was already 8-2 before Porzingis grabbed his back and the TV guys mentioned he was hurting then Bam got a freebie off an airballed hook and Herro hit a semi-transition pull up three to make it 13-2?
Runs happen all the time and it's more like than not that coaches don't have as much control over them as people think they do.

Yep, that run. 8-2 would've been enough to call a timeout considering our penchant of coming out weak after halftime. As soon as KP grabbed his back/leg, all the more reason to call time asap.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#105 » by canman1971 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:13 pm

Best record in the league by 4 or 5 games and people still complain. Great teams win ugly sometimes, especially in the middle of the season. Some won't be happy unless the Celtics win by 30 points every night and flower petals rain down on the court after. And the JB hate is absurd and embarrassing.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#106 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:25 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Paija is talking about the 13-2 run Miami went on in the 3rd Q. KP was clearly limping for several possessions but Joe didn't call timeout until lead was cut from 15 to 4. Horford came in and we got the lead back up to 10. Later revealed KP had back spasms but was cleared to return.

Yep, that run. 8-2 would've been enough to call a timeout considering our penchant of coming out weak after halftime. As soon as KP grabbed his back/leg, all the more reason to call time asap.

We came out with an 8-0 run after halftime, entirely through punishing mismatches and attacking the paint. I think Joe was right to think that we were not coming out weak after halftime.
Runs happen all the time and 8-2 run is a literal nothing in basketball. It's one team getting a couple threes to go in and the other team missing a three. The Heat went 3-3 from three on that 13-2 run, including a couple tough ones. Tatum and White missed two threes, neither of which was easy but also not harder than what the Heat players were making. Jaylen Brown had one of his patented turnovers. Bam airballed a hook then got the rebound to bounce his way.
A timeout makes fans think the coach is doing something but in reality there's very little a coach can do to control make a 35-40% outcome into a 100% outcome.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#107 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:40 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:Ah you mean the run that was already 8-2 before Porzingis grabbed his back and the TV guys mentioned he was hurting then Bam got a freebie off an airballed hook and Herro hit a semi-transition pull up three to make it 13-2?

We came out with an 8-0 run after halftime, entirely through punishing mismatches and attacking the paint. I think Joe was right to think that we were not coming out weak after halftime.
Runs happen all the time and 8-2 run is a literal nothing in basketball. It's one team getting a couple threes to go in and the other team missing a three. The Heat went 3-3 from three on that 13-2 run, including a couple tough ones. Tatum and White missed two threes, neither of which was easy but also not harder than what the Heat players were making. Jaylen Brown had one of his patented turnovers. Bam airballed a hook then got the rebound to bounce his way.
A timeout makes fans think the coach is doing something but in reality there's very little a coach can do to control make a 35-40% outcome into a 100% outcome.

Fair. But if your player gets hurt, ask one of your players to foul or call a timeout right away. It's not that deep.

What's your stance in letting JB play through his mistakes in the 4th?
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#108 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:42 pm

The real takeaway from the game is we dominated them defensively, played well on offense (shot well from the two, from the three, had 27 assists on 41 made shots) yet the game was close because they took 16 more shots. If you look at the TOV and ORb disparity they add up to 10 but whatever the reason they made more out of their offensive boards and turnovers.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#109 » by BK_2020 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:48 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Yep, that run. 8-2 would've been enough to call a timeout considering our penchant of coming out weak after halftime. As soon as KP grabbed his back/leg, all the more reason to call time asap.

Fair. But if your player gets hurt, ask one of your players to foul or call a timeout right away. It's not that deep.

I don't know about the KP looking hurt thing. You can't call a timeout every time a player looks hurt and I don't think any team reflexively takes a player out unless there's a signal from the player. You routinely see a team continue to play 4 on 5 with a player down on the other end then that 1 guy who was lying down for the entire defensive possession get a cherry-picked layup.

As for Jaylen I think there's little choice now but to have him play these minutes. Either he'll learn to settle down and get better in those moments or he won't and he'll be traded in the off-season for Trae Young or Lauri.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,580

Post#110 » by 165bows » Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:52 pm

BK_2020 wrote:The real takeaway from the game is we dominated them defensively, played well on offense (shot well from the two, from the three, had 27 assists on 41 made shots) yet the game was close because they took 16 more shots. If you look at the TOV and ORb disparity they add up to 10 but whatever the reason they made more out of their offensive boards and turnovers.

Big discrepencies were Boston shot well while Miami shot like ***, while as you mentioned Miami happened to take 16 more shots than Boston primarily due to their offensive rebounding.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#111 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:17 am

:heart: Paija. Never saw you on the Wizards's board, but hi!
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,397

Post#112 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:26 am

BK_2020 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:We came out with an 8-0 run after halftime, entirely through punishing mismatches and attacking the paint. I think Joe was right to think that we were not coming out weak after halftime.

I don't know about the KP looking hurt thing. You can't call a timeout every time a player looks hurt and I don't think any team reflexively takes a player out unless there's a signal from the player. You routinely see a team continue to play 4 on 5 with a player down on the other end then that 1 guy who was lying down for the entire defensive possession get a cherry-picked layup.

As for Jaylen I think there's little choice now but to have him play these minutes. Either he'll learn to settle down and get better in those moments or he won't and he'll be traded in the off-season for Trae Young or Lauri.

Trae Young?

wow.

Lauri, I always wanted the Knicks to draft him and pair him with KP. Not so sure that's a great move for Boston. But I guess we'll see.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#113 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:47 am

Read on Twitter
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,880

Post#114 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:02 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics