ImageImageImage

Game Thread – Mavericks @ Celtics – 7:30PM, Fri, March 1, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,315

Re: Game Thread – Mavericks @ Celtics – 7:30PM, Fri, March 1, 2024 

Post#521 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:33 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Rick Carlisle continually talked about how post ups weren’t worth it in the modern game. It’s on the record. It’s not some made up story. Kristaps also works better here because I think he’s taken a step back with his own ego. He was basically in the washed up scrap heap basket in Washington.

In Dallas he got injured and then traded the next season before they even had a chance to mesh together with a new coach.

Saying the Mavs had a chance to make the finals in 2022 like they should have is ridiculous. It was Luka and a developing Brunson against the eventual champs. Their roster was dog ****. Luka should be praised for dragging them to the WCF.

What great players are leaving Luka? Porzingis was traded. They badly messed up the Brunson deal.

They made the WCF with Brunson so pretty absurd to argue Luka can’t play with another star. If you’re going to point to Kyrie as evidence then I’d seriously question if you were asleep when Kyrie was here.

Kyrie is awful player to play next to and the only guy who ever got it to work properly was LeBron James.

The Mavs problem is they have no defensive identity and a lack of talent.

You point to Miami. They may not be blessed with offensive juggernauts but they always have a defensive identity, they’ve got Bam and one of the best coaches in the game. Doncic has Jason Kidd who is an awful coach and what else?

Trying to claim Doncic will never win anything based off him only making the WCF with the rosters and him being ball dominant is laughable.

You need the right talent to win in this league. Just look at how much better we became when Brad got Horford back and Rob Williams took a leap.

You’re not winning **** in the West when your team is bad defensively. And before you try pin that all on Luka, remember that defence requires an elite rim protector and good defensive personnel.

First step to becoming a good defensive team is you have to be individually solid.

Steph is not a great defensive player, but he tries and puts in the effort.

Defensive schemes become useless when one player keeps getting beat on defense and his teammates always covers for him.

Luka is just horrible on defense.

Sooner or later the excuses will run out.

The Mavs had the sixth best defence in the league in 2012-22 so that’s already been proven wrong.

If you want to argue the Mavs won’t be an elite defence with Kyrie and Luka together then I’ll agree.

Like I said, defense is only part of the problem.

Guys like Lebron and KD want to play for a team with multiple superstars.

Luka is the opposite.

Instead of becoming Bravo 1 on Team 6, Luka wants to be Rambo.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,245

Post#522 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:36 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:What doesn't show in the stat sheet is players around Luka are just standing or waiting for Luka to make something happen.
That's not exactly what we define as team basketball.

What's worse is Luka is so bad defensively, his teammates have to cover for him all the time.

If you're going to say Luka is a better offensive player than Tatum then I would agree.

But basketball is not just about offense, part of being a great basketball player is what you do on the defensive end.

Luka scoring 30 points is useless if on the other end he also gives up 30 points.

He's just too ball dominant and a horrible defensive player.

Team basketball is all nice and well and works but it’s not necessarily the only way.

LeBron has four titles playing LeBron ball with his teammates being parked off to the sides offensively. Likewise the same with Giannis.

Luka is not actually that bad this year defensively, just a myth being pushed at this point. He’s not elite but he’s certainly no Trae Young or 2016 Isaiah Thomas.

You bring up teammates needing to cover for him, but that’s the thing they don’t. Steph Curry was always typically the weakest defender on the floor for the Warriors and was targeted. He had Draymond protecting the rim, Klay and Iggy covering on the perimeter.

I highly value defence and it wins titles but you can win a title despite your best player not being great on that end. The Nuggets just won a title with Jokic who continually gives up big numbers to opposing bigs.

Luka on the last two Celtics teams would have been an offensive cheat code and defensively they still would have been fine.

The highlighted part is not accurate.

Miami torched the Celtics every time Miami found a weakness.

It Bam torching Theis and Jimmy burning Kemba every time.

The difference between the Celtics of the past and the Celtics now is there is no one to exploit.

You're just speculating.

We will never know what will happen if Luka became a Celtic.

So this is something that lands on fantasy island.

The Celtics lost to Miami last year because of a lack of offence particularly late in games.

It wasn’t because of our defence.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#523 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:37 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:First step to becoming a good defensive team is you have to be individually solid.

Steph is not a great defensive player, but he tries and puts in the effort.

Defensive schemes become useless when one player keeps getting beat on defense and his teammates always covers for him.

Luka is just horrible on defense.

Sooner or later the excuses will run out.

The Mavs had the sixth best defence in the league in 2012-22 so that’s already been proven wrong.

If you want to argue the Mavs won’t be an elite defence with Kyrie and Luka together then I’ll agree.

Luka is the opposite.

You’re saying this based off what exactly?

Luka will be gone from the Mavs in a few seasons if they don’t sort out a roster around him just like LeBron left in 2010.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#524 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:41 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Team basketball is all nice and well and works but it’s not necessarily the only way.

LeBron has four titles playing LeBron ball with his teammates being parked off to the sides offensively. Likewise the same with Giannis.

Luka is not actually that bad this year defensively, just a myth being pushed at this point. He’s not elite but he’s certainly no Trae Young or 2016 Isaiah Thomas.

You bring up teammates needing to cover for him, but that’s the thing they don’t. Steph Curry was always typically the weakest defender on the floor for the Warriors and was targeted. He had Draymond protecting the rim, Klay and Iggy covering on the perimeter.

I highly value defence and it wins titles but you can win a title despite your best player not being great on that end. The Nuggets just won a title with Jokic who continually gives up big numbers to opposing bigs.

Luka on the last two Celtics teams would have been an offensive cheat code and defensively they still would have been fine.

The difference between the Celtics of the past and the Celtics now is there is no one to exploit.

You're just speculating.

The Celtics lost to Miami last year because of a lack of offence particularly late in games.

That is 100% true.

But the problem was because the Cs did not have an inside presence that could make the defense honest.

Cs were too dependent on the 3-point shot last season.

It was more the lack of balance on offense than having bad offense.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,557

Post#525 » by Triple7 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:43 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:What doesn't show in the stat sheet is players around Luka are just standing or waiting for Luka to make something happen.
That's not exactly what we define as team basketball.

What's worse is Luka is so bad defensively, his teammates have to cover for him all the time.

If you're going to say Luka is a better offensive player than Tatum then I would agree.

But basketball is not just about offense, part of being a great basketball player is what you do on the defensive end.

Luka scoring 30 points is useless if on the other end he also gives up 30 points.

He's just too ball dominant and a horrible defensive player.

Team basketball is all nice and well and works but it’s not necessarily the only way.

You're just speculating.

Spo is the master of exploiting weaknesses and mismatches. Last year, the Jays needed to try to create for themselves, forcing to dribble on traffic resulting in a lot of turnovers, and fast break opportunities for the heat, or just jacking up a 3 non stop. Its all because we have brick master Smart on the wing, or horford not even wanting to take an open shot inside. This team right now is a lot different. They can’t target anyone of the starters/finishers. They can’t leave anyone open on D. Now its up to Tatum to take this team on another level in the playoffs. If he keeps on jacking up 3’s, then we can be beaten. If he plays the right way, then we’ll be hard to beat.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#526 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:44 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:The Mavs had the sixth best defence in the league in 2012-22 so that’s already been proven wrong.

Luka is the opposite.

Luka will be gone from the Mavs in a few seasons if they don’t sort out a roster around him just like LeBron left in 2010.

1. Luka is just too ball dominant.

2. Guys like KP and Brunson leaving is evidence that Luka seems unable to coexist with other great players.

3. I've never heard of Luka talking about playing with other NBA superstars.
Luka always says it's the front office's job.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#527 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 6:46 am

Triple7 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Team basketball is all nice and well and works but it’s not necessarily the only way.

You're just speculating.

Spo is the master of exploiting weaknesses and mismatches. Last year, the Jays needed to try to create for themselves, forcing to dribble on traffic resulting in a lot of turnovers, and fast break opportunities for the heat, or just jacking up a 3 non stop. Its all because we have brick master Smart on the wing, or horford not even wanting to take an open shot inside. This team right now is a lot different. They can’t target anyone of the starters/finishers. They can’t leave anyone open on D. Now its up to Tatum to take this team on another level in the playoffs. If he keeps on jacking up 3’s, then we can be beaten. If he plays the right way, then we’ll be hard to beat.

Absolutely!

Agree with you 100%.

Proof of this is the Cs sweep the regular season series against the Heat.

Last time that happened was back in 2017.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#528 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:10 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:The highlighted part is not accurate.

You're just speculating.

That is 100% true.

But the problem was because the Cs did not have an inside presence that could make the defense honest.

Cs were too dependent on the 3-point shot last season.

It was more the lack of balance on offense than having bad offense.

And we shoot a lot of 3s because Tatum and Brown have some flaws offensively which can prevent them getting easy buckets.

Doncic has none of that issue which is why I’m so high on him as a player and think he would have been the difference last season.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#529 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:18 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Like I said, defense is only part of the problem.

Luka is the opposite.

2. Guys like KP and Brunson leaving is evidence that Luka seems unable to coexist with other great players.

Luka only has the ball so much because the Mavs have nothing else. I agree he has the ball too much but they need some more playmaking.

As I said before neither Porzingis or Brunson left by choice.

Brunson was staying if they didn’t screw up the contract situation.

You’re pushing a narrative that Luka has forced two players out. It’s not true.

On the last point I’m not sure I’ve heard any star player demand in public his team acquire superstars.

Last I checked he allowed them to trade for Kyrie.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#530 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:03 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:You’re saying this based off what exactly?

Luka only has the ball so much because the Mavs have nothing else. I agree he has the ball too much but they need some more playmaking.

As I said before neither Porzingis or Brunson left by choice.

Brunson was staying if they didn’t screw up the contract situation.

You’re pushing a narrative that Luka has forced two players out. It’s not true.

On the last point I’m not sure I’ve heard any star player demand in public his team acquire superstars.

Last I checked he allowed them to trade for Kyrie.

https://hoopshabit.com/2023/01/09/dallas-mavericks-porzingis-soon/

However, he struggled to stay healthy and wasn’t a seamless fit with superstar Luka Doncic when he did play. That led to tension between Porzingis and the Mavericks, with him wanting to be featured more. It was clear that that wasn’t going to happen, so the Mavericks opted to trade him for a package that included Spencer Dinwiddie and Davis Bertans.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#531 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:08 am

And it's true that superstars tell the public that they want to play with other superstars.

From Lebron going to Miami to be with Wade and Bosh to KD and Kyrie teaming up in Brooklyn and Kawhi telling the Clips he will sign with the Clips if the Clips trade for Paul George, this is not uncommon.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#532 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:45 am

Here's what Tim Hardaway said:
https://www.basketballnetwork.net/latest-news/tim-hardaway-breaks-down-why-luka-doncic-should-be-less-ball-dominant

Tim Hardaway breaks down why Luka Doncic should be less ball-dominant: “I need Luka to stop dribbling the ball”
Hardaway points out how being less dominant could raise Doncic’s chances of figuring in the NBA MVP race.

“Luka, bad boy plays at his own beat. But when you watch this person, whole different game. I need Luka to stop dribbling the ball. Stop being ball-dominant,” Hardaway explained.

Doncic, Irving need to get other Mavs involved

Hardaway understands that there are instances where a player needs to have the ball in his hands to make plays for his team. However, he explains that the 2019 NBA Rookie of the Year must also get his teammates involved as much as possible..

“You have to know how to be ball-dominant but you got to know how to run offense for some guys that need offense ran for them. Because if you standing in the corner for eight minutes, you just running up and down the court and you stand in the corner for 8 minutes and then they pass you the ball, you got a wide-open jump shot, you’re not going to make it. You’re not in rhythm, you haven’t even touched the ball,” the former UTEP Miner pointed out.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,868

Post#533 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:56 pm

This is actually pretty funny.

I presume it was posted in reference to Jaylen's dribblus interruptus, but also -- what was going on in connection with the Horford screen???

Read on Twitter
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics