ImageImageImage

Free Agent & Trade Thread, 2024-25

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,928

Re: Free Agent Thread, 2023-24 (con't) 

Post#161 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:15 pm

Celtics 15th man working out. Don't know if he will be available tonight.

Read on Twitter
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#162 » by Homerclease » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:22 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:I'm still concerned about Kornet and Tillman both re-signing over the summer, as opposed to Brad having to choose one of them. Why would they each believe they'd both get the playing time they could get on other teams instead?

That said, I'm sure that if Brad offer enough of the Grousbeks' money, he'd have a great shot at keeping them.

If he really has an OK to be above the second apron indefinitely, he could sign them to max-length contracts, so that they're still around after Horford ages out.

I’ve been one of Kornets biggest haters for the entire season but even I have to admit he’s been solid for quite some time now. He’s far exceeded any expectations for him going into the season and to be frank, probably played himself out of the city. This might be his best opportunity of his career to secure a bag and he should be all means go for it. Thankfully we have X and Queta in house as fall back options
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#163 » by playa-hater » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:31 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
165bows wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:I'm still concerned about Kornet and Tillman both re-signing over the summer, as opposed to Brad having to choose one of them. Why would they each believe they'd both get the playing time they could get on other teams instead?

That said, I'm sure that if Brad offer enough of the Grousbeks' money, he'd have a great shot at keeping them.

If he really has an OK to be above the second apron indefinitely, he could sign them to max-length contracts, so that they're still around after Horford ages out.

Yeah I think they need to keep at least one. They did well with the KP/Al/Kornet/Queta group.

That said I think both guys seem like guys that like stability and wouldn’t be surprised to see them both back. As much as I’ve been Luke’s biggest backer around here, keeping Tillman adds another dimension on defense that they don’t have without him.

[b]I continue to think Horford retires if we win it all instead of completing his contract.[/b] What more does he have to do if we win it? He's really old and still a good role player, but think he has one goal/mission and will retire once he's accomplished it. If that happens, I would give Tillman Horfords minutes next year and bring Luke back for his normal role.

I think Horford is/will be having too much fun even if we win 18.. Of-course this is just a complete guess.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#164 » by Dogen » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:09 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics 15th man working out. Don't know if he will be available tonight.
Read on Twitter

He looks like I feel. But props to PP34 for getting the work in.

I agree about the Jacob's Ladder. I went to a gym that had one and it's an intense workout.
Hey you! Can we come together?
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#165 » by shackles10 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:15 pm

Dogen wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics 15th man working out. Don't know if he will be available tonight.
Read on Twitter

He looks like I feel. But props to PP34 for getting the work in.

I agree about the Jacob's Ladder. I went to a gym that had one and it's an intense workout.

Truth is about one video like this away from being called Unc.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,915

Post#166 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#167 » by Hal14 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:31 am

cl2117 wrote:I'm totally happy giving Queta one of these non/partially guaranteed multi-year deals as the final move. Duop Reath just got a 3 year deal with 2 years guaranteed (including this year). Kenny Lofton Jr. got a 3 year completely non-guaranteed deal. I'm fine with that template. Queta probably deserves the Reath contract rather than the Lofton deal.

I'd like to see both Luke and Tillman come back, but getting Queta locked in would provide some insurance if either get lured away.

I have been pining for a developmental big in this draft though and that might be an either/or proposition with Queta if the intention is to bring all our existing bigs back next year. That'd be 6 roster spots tied up with big-men and that feels overloaded, even if some of those guys can play smaller.

Still though, sign Queta and figure out the rest later. Even if we are overloaded in the frontcourt, I don't think it'd cost much to get off any of these guys if push came to shove. Take the bird in the hand.

Agreed with all of that.

And since Tillman, Kornet and Queta are all (pretty much) non-shooters, that's why I have been advocating for us to get a developmental big who can shoot in the draft..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#168 » by Hal14 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:37 am

playa-hater wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:
165bows wrote:Yeah I think they need to keep at least one. They did well with the KP/Al/Kornet/Queta group.

That said I think both guys seem like guys that like stability and wouldn’t be surprised to see them both back. As much as I’ve been Luke’s biggest backer around here, keeping Tillman adds another dimension on defense that they don’t have without him.

[b]I continue to think Horford retires if we win it all instead of completing his contract.[/b] What more does he have to do if we win it? He's really old and still a good role player, but think he has one goal/mission and will retire once he's accomplished it. If that happens, I would give Tillman Horfords minutes next year and bring Luke back for his normal role.

I think Horford is/will be having too much fun even if we win 18.. Of-course this is just a complete guess.

I highly doubt Al retires this summer. Title or no title. 3 main reasons:

1) He sees like a man of his word. A guy who would honor the contract that he signed. He signed a 2 year extension. The extension runs through the 24-25 season. I don't see a guy like him just saying "peace out!" and not honoring the contract that he signed.

2) He is still playing at a very high level. Had his season-high in points tonight. Why retire when he clearly has (at least) another year left in him?

3) There has been zero rumblings that this season might be his last. Only time it (retirement) has been brought up at all I think was in training camp or in the 1st few weeks of the season and he said he feels great, body feels great, is enjoying playing and that (playing) is his only focus right now.

The question IMO is if he comes back and plays in the 25-26 season. But I'd be *very* surprised if he retires this summer.

Even if we win the title, I bet he would be super pumped to come back for another year to defend the title and try to win another one :)
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#169 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:43 am

RickyDizzle wrote:
165bows wrote:

Yeah I think they need to keep at least one. They did well with the KP/Al/Kornet/Queta group.

I continue to think Horford retires if we win it all instead of completing his contract. What more does he have to do if we win it? He's really old and still a good role player, but think he has one goal/mission and will retire once he's accomplished it. If that happens, I would give Tillman Horfords minutes next year and bring Luke back for his normal role.

Horford is putting a lot of work into preserving his body.

That can be spun either way:

-- Why stop now?
-- He'll be glad to get it over with.

I lean to "Why stop now?", although not as strongly as I might if the guy had fewer kids at home.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
JaMarco
Rookie
And1: 659

Post#170 » by JaMarco » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:01 am

Horford is also still making significant money. It's not like he's getting the veterans minimum, he's making $10M a year. I don't know why he would give that up if his body can still go.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#171 » by Dogen » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:40 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Argh, Sixers again.

I doubt Brad would have been interested in Jones, but I wanted the Celtics to take a look. Other teams snapping up the remaining talent. Kai Jones is an absolute beast athletically if he's right and focused. I hope leaving the 15th spot open and not taking a flyer on another vet or young upside guy doesn't bite us later.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#172 » by Parliament10 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:29 pm

Hal14 wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:

I highly doubt Al retires this summer. Title or no title. 3 main reasons:

1) He sees like a man of his word. A guy who would honor the contract that he signed. He signed a 2 year extension. The extension runs through the 24-25 season. I don't see a guy like him just saying "peace out!" and not honoring the contract that he signed.

2) He is still playing at a very high level. Had his season-high in points tonight. Why retire when he clearly has (at least) another year left in him?

3) There has been zero rumblings that this season might be his last. Only time it (retirement) has been brought up at all I think was in training camp or in the 1st few weeks of the season and he said he feels great, body feels great, is enjoying playing and that (playing) is his only focus right now.

The question IMO is if he comes back and plays in the 25-26 season. But I'd be *very* surprised if he retires this summer.

Even if we win the title, I bet he would be super pumped to come back for another year to defend the title and try to win another one :)

Copied from Al Horford Thread.:
Read on Twitter

I'm curious to see if Al will go for another year, Win or Lose.
His body seems to be OK. And, he's still going at a high clip.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Hal14
RealGM

Post#173 » by Hal14 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:53 pm

Dogen wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Argh, Sixers again.

I doubt Brad would have been interested in Jones, but I wanted the Celtics to take a look. Other teams snapping up the remaining talent. Kai Jones is an absolute beast athletically if he's right and focused. I hope leaving the 15th spot open and not taking a flyer on another vet or young upside guy doesn't bite us later.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that we're leaving the 15th spot open.

As I posted the other day, we filled the 15th spot last season with like 2 games left in the season (Champagnie) and the year before that we signed Juwan Morgan to fill the 15th spot with like 7 games left. Right now, we still have 16 games left.

We have until the last day of the regular season to sign someone and have them still be eligible for the playoff roster. There's no rush.

It's not like all this talent is going to other teams. Kai Jones couldn't even get minutes on a tanking hornets team, in either his 1st or 2nd season in the league. He's a headcase. Philly apparently doesn't care about if a guy is a headcase (Kai Jones, Oubre, Harden, Pat Bev, Mo Bamba, Montrez Harrell, etc.)

As Mike Gorman said the other day on the radio (about Grant williams), you don't mind as much if a guy is a headcase if he's a star but if he's an 8th/9th man and he's a headcase, then he won't be on the team for much longer..

Just not worth taking on the risk..our locker room is strong, our vibes are too good..anyone we get is gonna be riding the bench. So they *must* be a good locker room guy, can't be a headcase.
Dogen
RealGM

Post#174 » by Dogen » Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:53 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Dogen wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Argh, Sixers again.

I wouldn't necessarily assume that we're leaving the 15th spot open.

As I posted the other day, we filled the 15th spot last season with like 2 games left in the season (Champagnie) and the year before that we signed Juwan Morgan to fill the 15th spot with like 7 games left. Right now, we still have 16 games left.

We have until the last day of the regular season to sign someone and have them still be eligible for the playoff roster. There's no rush.

It's not like all this talent is going to other teams. Kai Jones couldn't even get minutes on a tanking hornets team, in either his 1st or 2nd season in the league. He's a headcase. Philly apparently doesn't care about if a guy is a headcase (Kai Jones, Oubre, Harden, Pat Bev, Mo Bamba, Montrez Harrell, etc.)

As Mike Gorman said the other day on the radio (about Grant williams), you don't mind as much if a guy is a headcase if he's a star but if he's an 8th/9th man and he's a headcase, then he won't be on the team for much longer..

Just not worth taking on the risk..our locker room is strong, our vibes are too good..anyone we get is gonna be riding the bench. So they *must* be a good locker room guy, can't be a headcase.

OK, thanks for talking me off the ledge, brother. :D

I get into this FOMO mind about free agents-- you may recall I wanted Kenneth Fareid! (he's still available I think).

Yeah, we're doing fine. Although I'd like to get Kai up in Maine to have a test drive, I can see why a team like Philly is swinging for the fences with this odd cast of characters. Brad is so much more methodical. I'll take Tillman all day every day over Jones, for example

Maybe the team wants to see what they have in Queata, Walsh and Davison a bit more (and Springer), and also see how the top 8 player's health does before committing that last spot. You may be right that Brad will bring someone in on the last week or so to address whatever is the most pressing need.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#175 » by snowman » Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:15 pm

Brad knows that being over the 2nd apron for the foreseeable future, that he needed to set his roster in place this season. He options and movability will be very limited next season and going forward as long as Tatum and Brown are on max deals.

1) I fully expect Porzingis, White and a resigned /extended Holiday (although at a more team friendly cap hit less than 39 mil per) at whatever it takes to keep him around like a 3 for 80 deal. Adding in a max deal for Tatum and Brown, that would take care of our starters.

2) I don't see Horford hanging it up early, and maybe even taking cap friendly one-year deals until he is ready to hang it up and become our big man coach after he retires. Pritchard is signed, Hauser will be extended, and I fully expect Kornet and Tillman to be resigned. Walsh and Springer are on their rookie deals, and I expect Brissett to pick up his option making 13 spots taken out of our 15-man roster.

3) I think Queta has earned a spot and brings something that none of our other big men bring, so I would not be surprised if Brad fills our 15th spot this year with Queta, but if not, I think he will be signed this off season as another back up big man. With Horford and Porzingis missing time to keep them as healthy as possible, having Kornet, Tillman and Queta as backups is a smart play.

4) I really don't see Svi back next year, thus keeping the 15th spot open again to fill in where needed for injuries or rest time. Having a full 3-man group of 2-way players at ball handlers and wings that can be rotated in for fill in spot duty is the way to go.

5) This is also why I think Brad will trade our first round pick this year for a couple future 2nd round pick, to give more swings at lower tier players to keep our 2-way spots full. According to Tankathon, we already have 2nd round picks currently at #42 and #48, but I'm not sure that is correct. Davison and Peterson can be resigned as 2-way players, but Queta cannot.
165bows
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,530

Post#176 » by 165bows » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:09 pm

snowman wrote:Brad knows that being over the 2nd apron for the foreseeable future, that he needed to set his roster in place this season. He options and movability will be very limited next season and going forward as long as Tatum and Brown are on max deals.

1) I fully expect Porzingis, White and a resigned /extended Holiday (although at a more team friendly cap hit less than 39 mil per) at whatever it takes to keep him around like a 3 for 80 deal. Adding in a max deal for Tatum and Brown, that would take care of our starters.

2) I don't see Horford hanging it up early, and maybe even taking cap friendly one-year deals until he is ready to hang it up and become our big man coach after he retires. Pritchard is signed, Hauser will be extended, and I fully expect Kornet and Tillman to be resigned. Walsh and Springer are on their rookie deals, and I expect Brissett to pick up his option making 13 spots taken out of our 15-man roster.

3) I think Queta has earned a spot and brings something that none of our other big men bring, so I would not be surprised if Brad fills our 15th spot this year with Queta, but if not, I think he will be signed this off season as another back up big man. With Horford and Porzingis missing time to keep them as healthy as possible, having Kornet, Tillman and Queta as backups is a smart play.

4) I really don't see Svi back next year, thus keeping the 15th spot open again to fill in where needed for injuries or rest time. Having a full 3-man group of 2-way players at ball handlers and wings that can be rotated in for fill in spot duty is the way to go.

5) This is also why I think Brad will trade our first round pick this year for a couple future 2nd round pick, to give more swings at lower tier players to keep our 2-way spots full. According to Tankathon, we already have 2nd round picks currently at #42 and #48, but I'm not sure that is correct. Davison and Peterson can be resigned as 2-way players, but Queta cannot.

#42 is the Bulls pick they traded for I think Tillman, either he or Springer. Not sure why they don’t update that.

On the overall scenario though - if they go that route of bringing back everyone then yes it’s literally a full house if they keep their standard practice of leaving the 15th spot open. Seems somewhat likely and if they do that and don’t make any deals or let anyone go it’s going to be a reallllll quite summer of hoops news lol.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Post#177 » by playa-hater » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:05 pm

Dogen wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Argh, Sixers again.

1- Kai Jones appears to be an absolute Idiot.

2- But I am ALWAYS in favor of 2nd chances if the crime was "immaturity" related.

3 - But sadly I believe there is so much basketball talent in the world desperately hoping to get into the NBA, that many might not ever get that 2nd chance. If anyone is fortunate to get an opportunity, they have to go all in or else you will be out soon enough.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#178 » by Parliament10 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:23 pm

165bows wrote:
snowman wrote:Brad knows that being over the 2nd apron for the foreseeable future, that he needed to set his roster in place this season. He options and movability will be very limited next season and going forward as long as Tatum and Brown are on max deals.

#42 is the Bulls pick they traded for I think Tillman, either he or Springer. Not sure why they don’t update that.

On the overall scenario though - if they go that route of bringing back everyone then yes it’s literally a full house if they keep their standard practice of leaving the 15th spot open. Seems somewhat likely and if they do that and don’t make any deals or let anyone go it’s going to be a reallllll quite summer of hoops news lol.

Roster sounds about right. Agree that Svi is likely gone. IDK about Brissett, though. He might leave, too.
Davison can't be on a 3rd year Two-Way, with the same team. Not sure if they bring him in as the 4th PG, with the Big Club.

Queta only did 3 years total as a Two-Way. So he should have another year. But, I doubt that he'll take that.
Everybody else is likely back.

Peterson could come back, as a Two-Way. We don't really need any Draft picks.
Maybe some more Stashed picks?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Dogen
RealGM

Post#179 » by Dogen » Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:08 am

If Jordan Walsh is signed for the 15th spot now, does that mean one year of his rookie contract is burned?

It would be great if he got some exposure, if not minutes, during the playoffs.
MapleRed
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,283

Post#180 » by MapleRed » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:07 am

Dogen wrote:If Jordan Walsh is signed for the 15th spot now, does that mean one year of his rookie contract is burned?

It would be great if he got some exposure, if not minutes, during the playoffs.

Walsh is currently on the 15 man roster.

Return to Boston Celtics