ImageImageImage

Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Which 7, of the Bottom 10, would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster?

Queta
13%
Davison
3%
Peterson
1%
Walsh
13%
Hauser
16%
Springer
10%
Mykhailiuk
3%
Brissett
10%
Tillman
15%
Kornet
16%

Total votes: 195

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now) 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:57 am

Which 7, of the Bottom 10, would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster?
(Assume that we carry the Top 7, with Hauser not yet under Contract.)

Celtics Roster, 2nd Half, 2023-24:
Starters: Holiday - White - Brown - Tatum - Porzingis
Rotation: Pritchard - Hauser - Horford/Kornet
Reserves: Springer - Mykhailiuk - Brissett - Tillman
Two-Ways: Davison - (Walsh ®) - Peterson - [Queta]
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Re: Who would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster? 

Post#2 » by brackdan70 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:26 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Which 7, of the Bottom 10, would you carry onto next year's Regular NBA Roster?
(Assume that we carry the Top 7, with Hauser not yet under Contract.)

Celtics Roster, 2nd Half, 2023-24:
Starters: Holiday - White - Brown - Tatum - Porzingis
Rotation: Pritchard - Hauser - Horford/Kornet
Reserves: Springer - Mykhailiuk - Brissett - Tillman
Two-Ways: Davison - (Walsh ®) - Peterson - [Queta]

Isn’t Hauser under a team option?
Sign here
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#3 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:30 pm

Hauser of course is a keeper. In particular, he can't be replaced with the limited player acquisition resources we have over the second apron.

I worry about Kornet and Tillman not both giving us the chance to keep them, as minutes might be short if the both stay, but they're obvious keepers if they choose.

Springer and Walsh are under contract.

I think Brissett is on a player option, and he seems like a guy who could earn regular minutes somewhere, so the choice may not be ours.

Svi is surely gone.

I'm inclined to keep Queta.

No opinion on the other two-way guys.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#4 » by brackdan70 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:51 pm

Assuming they sign Holiday long term and/or he opts in, the top 8 guys are under team control (Hauser a team option, the rest under contract).
Springer and Walsh are under contract and Brissett has a player option. Kornet and Tillman are free agents with Bird rights. I hope they bring back both and Brissett, though if he opts out that may be tough. That would be 13 guys. Two remaining roster spots for FRP (assuming they keep it), Queta, Davison, Peterson, the second round pick. So I think the real question is what to do with the two ways and how to fill that end of the roster. If they keep the first round pick and bring back Brissett, Kornet, Tillman then there is only one spot plus 2 ways.
Sign here
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,960

Post#5 » by CelticsPride18 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:57 pm

Everyone except Brown. He’s holding this team back
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 pm

as someone who doesn't see practices, my priorities, in order, are
1) Hauser 2) Tillman 3) Luke 4) Walsh by a nose over 5) Oshae 6) Queta 7) Davison

depending on what's going on in practices, maybe Springer takes JD's spot or even Oshae's. Maybe Walsh is 'ready' for Oshae's spot, though Oshae has logged 30% of his minutes at PF this season and I don't expect Walsh to be able to play that spot any time soon. (Maybe those 4 minutes are no longer available now that Tillman is here, though)
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Post#7 » by BK_2020 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:55 am

Wait where's the Jaylen Brown option
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#8 » by shackles10 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:26 am

BK_2020 wrote:Wait where's the Jaylen Brown option

Right here…
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2332132
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#9 » by cl2117 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:31 am

I'd be running the whole squad back sans Svi. I don't have any hate for Svi, just don't think he's a complimentary enough piece for his skillset. I'd rather draft a project with more upside (similar to what we have in Walsh).

Top 6 are a given assuming Horford doesn't sail off into the sunset. Hauser/Pritchard are locks as well with how well they've done this year. That's 8.

The two new guys from the deadline should both be back. Their defensive chops balance really well against what Hauser/Pritchard bring off the bench offensively. Tillman in particular is a definite for me because of his defensive versatility and the eventual need we'll have up front in a post Al Horford world. Springer I'm less confident in, but like the fact that our assistant coaches have worked with him before and vouch for him. Additionally the salary slot he offers at $4m, could be useful under the 2nd apron restrictions. That's 10.

Kornet/Brissett both I think warrant coming back as well. Luke moreso than Oshae, but both are jack of all trades/master of none and can eat minutes/fill space between better players and ultimately just not get in the way. If Oshae was to not pick up his player option, I'd be fine scouring the market for another similar wing for the minimum, but would be ultimately happy to have him back. That's 12.

With the last 3 slots I'd be looking for guys we can develop into future rotation pieces. Walsh is the perfect example of this. Not a guy ready to contribute year 1, but great tools overall that could compliment our stars really well.

I'd like to see Brad once again do his best Belichick impression and trade out of the first round to pick up a future 2nd or two and then ultimately draft a stretch big with the pick. I'm not too precious though, so would be fine with whatever guy that's still standing with the highest upside (like GG Jackson last year).

If we go with a big man via the draft I think Queta could be on the outside looking in. Ultimately that's probably too many bigs assuming all the rest are coming back as well. If they go for a wing or a ball-handler, then I'm good with Neemias coming back on a partially/non guaranteed multi-year deal.

With Queta and a draft pick that'd be a full 15 man roster. If one of those two things don't happen, I'd expect Brad to keep a spot open in case there is a ring chaser available (in fact I'd probably bet on that being the case rather than both Queta and a 2nd round pick ultimately being on the 15 man roster).
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:24 pm

cl2117 wrote:I'd be running the whole squad back sans Svi. I don't have any hate for Svi, just don't think he's a complimentary enough piece for his skillset. I'd rather draft a project with more upside (similar to what we have in Walsh).

Top 6 are a given assuming Horford doesn't sail off into the sunset. Hauser/Pritchard are locks as well with how well they've done this year. That's 8.

The two new guys from the deadline should both be back. Their defensive chops balance really well against what Hauser/Pritchard bring off the bench offensively. Tillman in particular is a definite for me because of his defensive versatility and the eventual need we'll have up front in a post Al Horford world. Springer I'm less confident in, but like the fact that our assistant coaches have worked with him before and vouch for him. Additionally the salary slot he offers at $4m, could be useful under the 2nd apron restrictions. That's 10.

Kornet/Brissett both I think warrant coming back as well. Luke moreso than Oshae, but both are jack of all trades/master of none and can eat minutes/fill space between better players and ultimately just not get in the way. If Oshae was to not pick up his player option, I'd be fine scouring the market for another similar wing for the minimum, but would be ultimately happy to have him back. That's 12.

With the last 3 slots I'd be looking for guys we can develop into future rotation pieces. Walsh is the perfect example of this. Not a guy ready to contribute year 1, but great tools overall that could compliment our stars really well.

I'd like to see Brad once again do his best Belichick impression and trade out of the first round to pick up a future 2nd or two and then ultimately draft a stretch big with the pick. I'm not too precious though, so would be fine with whatever guy that's still standing with the highest upside (like GG Jackson last year).

If we go with a big man via the draft I think Queta could be on the outside looking in. Ultimately that's probably too many bigs assuming all the rest are coming back as well. If they go for a wing or a ball-handler, then I'm good with Neemias coming back on a partially/non guaranteed multi-year deal.

With Queta and a draft pick that'd be a full 15 man roster. If one of those two things don't happen, I'd expect Brad to keep a spot open in case there is a ring chaser available (in fact I'd probably bet on that being the case rather than both Queta and a 2nd round pick ultimately being on the 15 man roster).

Don't forget the Two-Way spots. -- The 2nd Round Picks can come in as Two-Ways.
Move Queta onto the Regular Roster, and maybe Davison.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#11 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:04 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Hauser of course is a keeper. In particular, he can't be replaced with the limited player acquisition resources we have over the second apron.

I worry about Kornet and Tillman not both giving us the chance to keep them, as minutes might be short if the both stay, but they're obvious keepers if they choose.

I think Brissett is on a player option, and he seems like a guy who could earn regular minutes somewhere, so the choice may not be ours.

Svi is surely gone.

* Yeah. I think that Hauser is a No-Brainer. We have 'til 06-29-24 to pick up his Contract.
* Kornet and Tillman, can get good Contract here, since we have Bird Rights on them both.
* Walsh is on the cheaper, iin the 2nd year of a Rookie Contract.
* Springer, on-the-other-hand, seems like he's not worth the $4M next season. I think that he gets Traded.
* Brissett, totally agree that he can get more playing time, elsewhere. He's probably gone?
* Svi = Hasta la Bye-Bye.
* Queta, we should try to keep. But, if he goes to RFA, then I think that he gets a Deal that Celtics wont match.
* Davison can't be a Two-Way for a 3rd year with the Celtics. Not sure if we sign him to a Full NBA?
* Peterson, could do another Two-Way with us.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#12 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:14 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:Hauser of course is a keeper. In particular, he can't be replaced with the limited player acquisition resources we have over the second apron.

Svi is surely gone.

* Yeah. I think that Hauser is a No-Brainer. We have 'til 06-29-24 to pick up his Contract.
* Kornet and Tillman, can get good Contract here, since we have Bird Rights on them both.
* Walsh is on the cheaper, iin the 2nd year of a Rookie Contract.
* Springer, on-the-other-hand, seems like he's not worth the $4M next season. I think that he gets Traded.
* Brissett, totally agree that he can get more playing time, elsewhere. He's probably gone?
* Svi = Hasta la Bye-Bye.
* Queta, we should try to keep. But, if he goes to RFA, then I think that he gets a Deal that Celtics wont match.
* Davison can't be a Two-Way for a 3rd year with the Celtics. Not sure if we sign him to a Full NBA?
* Peterson, could do another Two-Way with us.

Kornet and Tillman can surely be offered amounts of money that will please them. But will they BOTH be pleased by their reasonable expectations of playing time?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:10 pm

brackdan70 wrote:Assuming they sign Holiday long term and/or he opts in, the top 8 guys are under team control (Hauser a team option, the rest under contract).
Springer and Walsh are under contract and Brissett has a player option. Kornet and Tillman are free agents with Bird rights. I hope they bring back both and Brissett, though if he opts out that may be tough. That would be 13 guys. Two remaining roster spots for FRP (assuming they keep it), Queta, Davison, Peterson, the second round pick. So I think the real question is what to do with the two ways and how to fill that end of the roster. If they keep the first round pick and bring back Brissett, Kornet, Tillman then there is only one spot plus 2 ways.

Holiday can be Extended on April 1st, right?
Springer, IDK if he should be on the Team. Maybe a Trade in the Offseason is in order.

Tillman really impresses me. Kornet has really upped his game, too. And the clock is ticking on Converting Queta.
I think that we have to Sign all 3; as Al Horford will eventually retire. He's been beating Father Time of late, though.

Brissett, I think will move onto another Team.
None of these Players will get the type of Playing Time that they desire.

Davison might try for a Roster spot on another Squad. Though Peterson, might stay on a Two-Way for a 2nd year.
I don't think that we'll keep that 1st Rounder. We'll probably have a couple of 2nd Rounders to fill the Two-Ways.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: Who would you carry onto next year's Roster? – (Knowing what you know now) 

Post#14 » by Parliament10 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:58 pm

Queta was in the Top 5, for voting.
Looks like he's in for next year, since the Team Converted him?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#15 » by brackdan70 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:15 pm

Looks like 11 are buttoned up. Staring 5 Horford and Pritchard and Hauser plus Springer, Walsh and Queta.
Though Hauser, Walsh and Queta are team options which I expect are exercised. Brissett is a player option…I could see him going either way. Sign one or both our free agents Tillman and Kornet and it’s a pretty full roster. I don’t think we need Svi back but who cares either way. Add a draft pick or two and or maybe JD and it’s full
Sign here
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#16 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:19 pm

Parliament10 wrote:Queta was in the Top 5, for voting.
Looks like he's in for next year, since the Team Converted him?

His contract for next year is non-guaranteed.

So they don't have to keep him on, if Tillman and Kornet are both resigned.

But if Tillman and/or Kornet are not resigned, then he'll probably be back.

It's good flexibility we have with Queta. We can keep him if we want..or, if it turns out that we won't really need him, then we cut him.

There's also the possibility (especially if Tillman and Kornet are resigned) that perhaps Queta and his agent would request that we waive him - if they have another team in the league who is offering more playing time.

Another wrinkle - if we perhaps draft a big man in June, then there's less of a need to keep Queta on.

There's also the possibility of Queta being used as trade filler over the summer.

So lots of possibilities. I'd say about a 60% chance he's on the opening night roster next season.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#17 » by Jammer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:35 pm

Celtics have 11 Men they actually control, see below:

PG
19,471,529 Derrick White
6,696,429 Payton Pritchard

SG
30,123,129 Jrue Holiday (estimate, but 9,269,965 LESS THAN HIS 2024 Player OPTION)
1,891,857 Jordan Walsh
4,018,363 Jaden Springer

SF
49,350,000 Jaylen Brown (I'd listen to offers)
2,092,344 Sam Hauser (Not Guaranteed)

PF
34,848,340 Jayson Tatum (would rather see JT at SF)

C
29,268,293 Kristaps Porzingis
9,500,000 Al Horford
2,196,970 Neemias Queta (Not Guaranteed)

Total of above 11 Men salaries = $189,457,244

141,000,000 Salary Cap
171,315,000 Luxury Tax
178,655,000 1rst Apron
189,485,000 2nd Apron

They will be over the 2nd Apron.

Celtics need to add 3 players. Likely will just pay minimum.

I'd probably offer Minimum contracts to Brissett and Tillman. Celtics could really use a Banger Type PF who sets great screens, takes charges, is a Bruiser and Rebounds.

Kornet is a Free Agent with Bird Rights, but he could command more than minimum.

Brissett has a player option for 2,463,946. He could not exercise it and become a Free Agent.

Tillman and Mykhailiuk are Free Agents.

Peterson is a Two-Way that they might be able to convert. Peterson LOOKS LIKE an NBA player even though he's skinny.

Besides guaranteeing the contracts of Hauser and Queta (by keeping them past January 10), I'd offer contracts to Brissett and Tillman. Would love a Banger, Bruising PF that sets great picks, Rebounds and takes charges. There is not a lot they can do for Minimum. And other than PF, they don't have a lot of minutes to offer. Still, could really use a quick, great shooting SG.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#18 » by brackdan70 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:54 pm

Jammer wrote:Celtics have 10 Men they actually control, see below:

PG
19,471,529 Derrick White

SG
30,123,129 Jrue Holiday (estimate, but 9,269,965 LESS THAN HIS 2024 Player OPTION)
1,891,857 Jordan Walsh

SF

PF

C
9,500,000 Al Horford

Total of above 10 Men salaries = $185,438,881.

141,000,000 Salary Cap
171,315,000 Luxury Tax
178,655,000 1rst Apron
189,485,000 2nd Apron

Celtics need to add 4 players. Likely will just pay minimum.

Kornet is a Free Agent with Bird Rights, but he could command more than minimum.
Brissett has a player option for 2,463,946. He could not exercise it and become a Free Agent.
Peterson is a Two-Way that they might be able to convert.

Also Springer is under contract.
Sign here
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#19 » by Jammer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:00 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
Jammer wrote:Celtics have 11 Men they actually control, see below:

PG
19,471,529 Derrick White

SG
1,891,857 Jordan Walsh
4,018,363 Jaden Springer

SF

PF

C
9,500,000 Al Horford

141,000,000 Salary Cap
171,315,000 Luxury Tax
178,655,000 1rst Apron
189,485,000 2nd Apron

Damn, did I leave out a BIG ONE. WIll revise. Thanks.

Besides guaranteeing the contracts of Hauser and Queta (by keeping them past January 10), I'd offer contracts to Brissett and Tillman. Would love a Banger, Bruising PF that sets great picks, Rebounds and takes charges. There is not a lot they can do for Minimum. And other than PF, they don't have a lot of minutes to anyone. They could really use a quick, great shooting SG.
brackdan70
RealGM

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:02 pm

Jammer wrote:
brackdan70 wrote:
Jammer wrote:Celtics have 11 Men they actually control, see below:

PG
19,471,529 Derrick White

SG
1,891,857 Jordan Walsh
4,018,363 Jaden Springer

SF

PF

C
9,500,000 Al Horford

141,000,000 Salary Cap
171,315,000 Luxury Tax
178,655,000 1rst Apron
189,485,000 2nd Apron

Damn, did I leave out a BIG ONE. WIll revise. Thanks.

I'd probably offer Minimum contracts to Brissett and Tillman. Celtics could really use a Banger Type PF who sets great screens, takes charges, is a Bruiser and Rebounds.

I think Tillman is worth and likely gets more than a minimum. Idk. Will be interesting to see.

There is also that pesky guaranteed salary of pick 30 unless they trade it…which I would expect.
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics