ImageImageImage

What's the Situation of Jrue Holiday's "Dead Arm"?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

What's the Situation of Jrue Holiday's "Dead Arm"? 

Post#1 » by Jammer » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:11 pm

RealGM has article posted this morning about Jrue Holiday experiencing a "dead arm." He has missed 3 games straight now.

Anyone know anything more than that? Previously he was listed as having a shoulder issue after running into a double screen.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Re: What's the Situation of Jrue Holiday's "Dead Arm"? 

Post#2 » by 31to6 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 pm

Paul Pierce appreciation society.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#3 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:17 pm

Snippets from Globe article:
Jrue Holiday said his absence is about more than simply being cautious. The point guard missed his third consecutive game Friday due to a sprained right shoulder joint he says he suffered when he was hit on a screen during the win over the Wizards on Sunday, and he told the Globe he has been experiencing “dead arm.”

“I’m feeling something, for sure,” Holiday said.

“I still want to play,” Holiday said. “That’s part of the reason I play basketball. But it’s also keeping rhythm. Sometimes when you’re out for a long time you break rhythm, but I feel like I’ve been in a good groove and I want to continue to play.”

Celtics coach Joe Mazzulla said Holiday is showing gradual improvement and the team will continue bringing him along slowly.

I can choose to believe it's not a big deal or I can choose to believe we're cursed.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#4 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:52 pm

This from Healthline : overall healing time depends on your symptoms. If you have mild symptoms, it might take just a few days to heal. But if you have a severe injury or need surgery, it can take 2 to 4 months, or up to a year.
The Celtics can obviously sit Jrue for the rest of the season. We can only hope that's the worst case scenario.
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Post#5 » by steefP2 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:53 pm

It’s an ac joint sprain. Depending on the grade this can mean several things but it’s probably not too bad. Grade 4 through 6 would require surgery but as that should be readily apparent we can rule that out. A grade 1 sprain can be as short as a week or less to heal while smth more severe can be 2 to 5-6 weeks to fully heal. Note that he could still play while it’s not fully healed with a low risk of making it worse; it would be more a pain tolerance situation. I wouldn’t be too worried tbh.

Note that I took all this info from stuff I’ve been able to find on the internet; with the most relevant stuff coming from instreetclothes; which is the website of Jeffrey stots, an expert who analyzes a lot of nba and nfl injuries.

I could very well be wrong but this is the best info I’ve been able to gather. The ac joint sprain info just comes from the team’s own injury report.
celtxman
Analyst

Post#6 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:36 pm

steefP2 wrote:It’s an ac joint sprain. Depending on the grade this can mean several things but it’s probably not too bad. Grade 4 through 6 would require surgery but as that should be readily apparent we can rule that out. A grade 1 sprain can be as short as a week or less to heal while smth more severe can be 2 to 5-6 weeks to fully heal. Note that he could still play while it’s not fully healed with a low risk of making it worse; it would be more a pain tolerance situation. I wouldn’t be too worried tbh.

Note that I took all this info from stuff I’ve been able to find on the internet; with the most relevant stuff coming from instreetclothes; which is the website of Jeffrey stots, an expert who analyzes a lot of nba and nfl injuries.

I could very well be wrong but this is the best info I’ve been able to gather. The ac joint sprain info just comes from the team’s own injury report.

Unfortunately we can't necessarily trust the injury report. " Dead arm" is a different condition that was brought up on the Celtics broadcast.
When Brogdon was injured last year in the injury report, in the playoffs it said "right forearm strain."
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,679

Post#7 » by steefP2 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:55 pm

celtxman wrote:
steefP2 wrote:It’s an ac joint sprain. Depending on the grade this can mean several things but it’s probably not too bad. Grade 4 through 6 would require surgery but as that should be readily apparent we can rule that out. A grade 1 sprain can be as short as a week or less to heal while smth more severe can be 2 to 5-6 weeks to fully heal. Note that he could still play while it’s not fully healed with a low risk of making it worse; it would be more a pain tolerance situation. I wouldn’t be too worried tbh.

Unfortunately we can't necessarily trust the injury report. " Dead arm" is a different condition that was brought up on the Celtics broadcast.
When Brogdon was injured last year in the injury report, in the playoffs it said "right forearm strain."

Dead arm was also just something Jrue said to a reporter himself as a descriptor. It's hard to parse if he just meant it like it feels a bit numb or he was citing a medical condition. I lean towards the former. Especially since the injury mechanism (the screen) and the symptoms do line up with an ac joint sprain.
celtxman
Analyst

Post#8 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:01 pm

steefP2 wrote:
celtxman wrote:

Dead arm was also just something Jrue said to a reporter himself as a descriptor. It's hard to parse if he just meant it like it feels a bit numb or he was citing a medical condition. I lean towards the former. Especially since the injury mechanism (the screen) and the symptoms do line up with an ac joint sprain.
Yes - the way he got injured lines up better with ac joint sprain. I THINK that's better.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,669

Post#9 » by Green89 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:05 pm

I'm about as concerned about this as I am Al's toe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#10 » by Parliament10 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:09 pm

Jammer wrote:RealGM has article posted this morning about Jrue Holiday experiencing a "dead arm." He has missed 3 games straight now.

Anyone know anything more than that? Previously he was listed as having a shoulder issue after running into a double screen.

"Dead Arm" is some level of Nerve Damage. I only know this, cause I've had it.
He's younger than I was and an athlete, so Jrue's probably isn't as bad.

It's basically, a temporary paralysis. And, it can lead to a more permanent situation; especially with repeated injuries.
I was told that most people regain 97-100% control of the area.

I wouldn't take it lightly, though. At any age.
Which is probably why they are holding him out.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,307

Post#11 » by Tyakack » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 pm

Ill be worried about this until I see him on the court looking healthy again. The fact is, none of us know how serious this is. At least he has a decent amount of time to rest before the playoffs.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#12 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:43 pm

Read on Twitter
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,103

Post#13 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:26 pm

So, you’re saying his arm is falling off? Because we always have poo luck so I’m thinking the worst and hoping for the best! Ughhhhhhhh!!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#14 » by GoCeltics123 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:07 pm

Read on Twitter
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#15 » by Homerclease » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:24 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Still 28 days till the playoffs, he’ll be fine. This isn’t Brogdon 2.0
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#16 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:42 am

Here you go...
Read on Twitter

Not as worried about him coming back in time for the playoffs. But how will the recovery/injury affect his shooting.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,006

Post#17 » by Fierce1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:51 am

It's nothing.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#18 » by exculpatory » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:39 am

If this was an Endocrinology issue or related to the other components of Internal Medicine I know very well, I would chip in.
But much of Ortho is way out of my lane - except for the various orthopedic injuries I personally suffered during my million hours playing hoops or football during my life.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#19 » by Ed Pinkney » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:15 am

I thought dead arms can only happen when your older brother punches you really hard.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,289

Post#20 » by brackdan70 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:53 pm

exculpatory wrote:If this was an Endocrinology issue or related to the other components of Internal Medicine I know very well, I would chip in.
But much of Ortho is way out of my lane - except for the various orthopedic injuries I personally suffered during my million hours playing hoops or football during my life.

Wow. You have lived a really long life. What’s the secret to making it to 300 years…and playing hoops and football for most of that time?
Sign here

Return to Boston Celtics