ImageImageImage

What's the Situation of Jrue Holiday's "Dead Arm"?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,549

Re: What's the Situation of Jrue Holiday's "Dead Arm"? 

Post#21 » by playa-hater » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm

Don't know if there are any similarities in injuries, but anyone ever sleep on their arm and wake up with no feeling in it? I remember there was a QB for some college in the 80s who got drunk and stayed sleeping continuously. When he woke up his arm, which had been slept on all night, lost all circulation and had severe nerve damage. I believe he was never able to throw again.

Jrue's injury made me think of that.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#22 » by exculpatory » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:14 pm

brackdan70 wrote:
exculpatory wrote:If this was an Endocrinology issue or related to the other components of Internal Medicine I know very well, I would chip in.
But much of Ortho is way out of my lane - except for the various orthopedic injuries I personally suffered during my million hours playing hoops or football during my life.

Wow. You have lived a really long life. What’s the secret to making it to 300 years…and playing hoops and football for most of that time?

Oatmeal, blueberries & sex.
No olives.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#23 » by Parliament10 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:36 pm

playa-hater wrote:Don't know if there are any similarities in injuries, but anyone ever sleep on their arm and wake up with no feeling in it? I remember there was a QB for some college in the 80s who got drunk and stayed sleeping continuously. When he woke up his arm, which had been slept on all night, lost all circulation and had severe nerve damage. I believe he was never able to throw again.

Yeah. "Dead Arm Syndrome" can be something like that. -- Though, it's rare to happen to younger people.
Nerve Damage is weird. = I could hold a cup of coffee, but not a mug full. It would just fall.

Jrue seemed to be doing OK, shooting around recently.
Hopefully he makes a full recovery.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#24 » by exculpatory » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:40 pm

playa-hater wrote:Don't know if there are any similarities in injuries, but anyone ever sleep on their arm and wake up with no feeling in it? I remember there was a QB for some college in the 80s who got drunk and stayed sleeping continuously. When he woke up, his arm, which had been slept on all night, lost all circulation and had severe nerve damage. I believe he was never able to throw again.

Very very unusual consequence from falling asleep on your arm. Everyone has had that happen. Usually a very transient loss of sensation due to nerve compression at the elbow (ulnar) or shoulder (brachial plexus).

I CAN say & HAVE seen alcoholics, junkies & drug OD patients admitted with rhabdomyolysis consequent to lying unconscious for an extended period in a contorted position - such that the extremity is compressed resulting in lack of perfusion/muscle ischemia-apoptosis.

Rhabdo is a very complex entity with MANY MANY other etiologies & potentially very severe consequences - in particular, acute renal failure due to myoglobinemia due to muscle lysis/apoptosis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4365849/
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#25 » by celtxman » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:45 pm

exculpatory wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Don't know if there are any similarities in injuries, but anyone ever sleep on their arm and wake up with no feeling in it? I remember there was a QB for some college in the 80s who got drunk and stayed sleeping continuously. When he woke up, his arm, which had been slept on all night, lost all circulation and had severe nerve damage. I believe he was never able to throw again.

Very very unusual consequence from falling asleep on your arm. Everyone has had that happen. Usually a very transient loss of sensation due to nerve compression at the elbow (ulnar) or shoulder (brachial plexus).

I CAN say & HAVE seen alcoholics, junkies & drug OD patients admitted with rhabdomyolysis consequent to lying unconscious for an extended period in a contorted position - such that the extremity is compressed resulting in lack of perfusion/muscle ischemia-apoptosis.

Rhabdo is a very complex entity with MANY MANY other etiologies & potentially very severe consequences - in particular, acute renal failure due to myoglobinemia due to muscle lysis/apoptosis.

So can we conclude from this that Jrue will be back next week?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#26 » by exculpatory » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:04 pm

celtxman wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

So can we conclude from this that Jrue will be back next week?

Fortunately, nothing I wrote has anything to do with Jrue. I was explaining something to Playa.

I know nothing about the time table of recovery for Jrue after apparently sustaining an A-C sprain during a pick.

I hope it heals quickly. We need his skills to win the Chip.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#27 » by SLCceltic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:40 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:I thought dead arms can only happen when your older brother punches you really hard.

That's dead leg
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#28 » by SLCceltic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:41 pm

is it the right or left ?? ball fell off his left hand pretty bad in that quick clip

PLeASE be okay ! We need YOU
ROYALGREEN
ryan in Maine
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,511

Post#29 » by ryan in Maine » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:53 am

Me and my friends used to deadarm/leg each other on purpose lol. Jrue probably just has some pins and needles maybe a little pain or numbness.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,282

Post#30 » by KillahGhostface » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:01 am

Word on the street is he was trying to give himself a stranger.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#31 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:04 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Ed Pinkney wrote:I thought dead arms can only happen when your older brother punches you really hard.

That's dead leg

My older brother definitely gave me both.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,063

Post#32 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 am

Team has been wheeling out incomplete line ups for a number of weeks now and the vibe I get is that it’s probably similar to Porzingis with his hamstring issue.

The team is being ultra cautious.

We have zero to gain from any of these games now until the playoffs start.

If it was May, I’m sure Holiday would be playing.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,435

Post#33 » by shackles10 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:37 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Word on the street is he was trying to give himself a stranger.

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#34 » by Homerclease » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:08 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:Word on the street is he was trying to give himself a stranger.

I didn’t know Jrue was left handed
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,282

Post#35 » by KillahGhostface » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:24 pm

Read on Twitter

Strangers are harmless
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#36 » by SLCceltic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 pm

Ed Pinkney wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

That's dead leg

My older brother definitely gave me both.

on the leg w someone's knee was the absolute WoRST !!

I'm guessing you got swirLies too from big BrO
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#37 » by SLCceltic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:27 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
Read on Twitter

Strangers are harmless

OK so it is the right 8-)

NGL, the way the ball fell off his left hand in that clip scared **** ouTTa ME
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#38 » by SLCceltic » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:32 pm

ROYALGREEN
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#39 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:37 pm

Not that anyone probably cares, but I got a Grade 2 AC joint sprain years ago when I got crunched playing Australian Rules Football. My arm definitely went "dead" at the time of the hit but that passed pretty quick. After the game when I had cooled down it was pretty painful and weak, and it was hard carrying something like a shopping bag with that arm for a few days. From memory I missed 3-4 weeks before I was right to play again.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,948

Post#40 » by Parliament10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:43 am

Ed Pinkney wrote:Not that anyone probably cares, but I got a Grade 2 AC joint sprain years ago when I got crunched playing Australian Rules Football. My arm definitely went "dead" at the time of the hit but that passed pretty quick. After the game when I had cooled down it was pretty painful and weak, and it was hard carrying something like a shopping bag with that arm for a few days. From memory I missed 3-4 weeks before I was right to play again.

Age may play into that, too. How old were you?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics