ImageImageImage

How much do you trust this team to reach glory in 2024?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

How much do you trust the Celtics to win the title in 2024?

1. I trust them a lot. We're winning the chip this year.
24%
2. I have big trust in them, but Denver could well beat us.
24%
3. I trust the team, but match-ups and coach disadvantage could mean the Cs come up short.
19%
4. I recognize the talent, but trust would be a stretch: Mazzula and JT are still unproven in the biggest stage.
19%
5. I don't really trust this team at all. The healthiest team will win the chip.
15%

Total votes: 68

Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,804

How much do you trust this team to reach glory in 2024? 

Post#1 » by Deivork » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:14 pm

Let's talk about trust.

Why do you trust this team to win it all? Why don't you? Vote and discuss.

If your opinion is not perfectly reflected by the options, think of it as a 1-5 thing. 1 being a lot, 5 being very little.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Re: How much do you trust this team to reach glory in 2024? 

Post#2 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:25 pm

After the past 7 seasons, I'm still here.

Let's **** gooooo!!!!
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
Deivork
Starter

Post#3 » by Deivork » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:34 pm

This poll came to mind thinking about up to which extent the match-ups we'll face in the East will set us for failure or success in the case we indeed reach the finals.

This might sound pessimistic, because we're playing great now and in a 9-game winning streak. But if you're old enough you know the play-offs are a complete different beast. And we know how quickly the board would change the tune as soon as we lose a game at home in the first round.

I might have trust issues, but this team has also given us reasons for doubt in the last few years so I wanted to check the board's feeling on this.

Objectively, we're loaded with talent and our record is very meaningful but I still have some doubts in trusting them fully when things get tough so I voted number 2. I still favour Denver against us. They have a proven, well-oiled system and they have the best player in the world.

I don't see any other East team strong enough to beat us, otherwise I might have voted 3. If the Bucks had Spo, or the Heat had Dame.

Mazzula's done a good job this RS and he's gained a lot of trust from me, just not enough. I also have doubts about teams scheming against JT and KP's defense in the playoffs.

And this might be a bit superstitious but I think it'd serve us well to face either Miami or Philly with Embiid in the 1st round over Indiana, to keep us in check right from the start.
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,307

Post#4 » by Tyakack » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:40 pm

I would go with 4. I recognize the talent. This team appears different than past Celtics teams. The numbers back it up. The eye test backs it up. That being said, Tatum and Joe *and others* are gonna have to show me. Saying I trust them to get the job done would be a lie. I'm more hopeful than I am trusting.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,403

Post#5 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:43 pm

On some level, I haven't trusted this franchise at all since game 6 vs the Heat. I saw backwards progress, a repeat of past mistakes, a lack of basic game prep at times, our best players still looking a bit unsure and/or fatigued under pressure. I saw Wyc scolding the players without looking to Brad, Joe, and himself as the ones at the top of the food chain.

On some level, I have lots of faith in this team. Brad is legitimately a great or at least good basketball mind, or at least a relatively great GM, Joe is an outlier who gained Brad's trust and respect. In theory if not reality, we suddenly have the most complete and balanced 8 man rotation in the league despite the redundancy of the Jays; not only do we have the Jays, but KP gives us a stud big man, DWhite gives us a stud guard, Tillman = high caliber defensive role player, Hauser = high caliber 3&D guy, Jrue = 6MOY if he were used in that role, Al is the veteran leader (and he can contribute quite a bit on occasion), Pritch and Kornet are amazing end of rotation guys. Then you have Sam Cassell & Charles Lee as great additions to our coaching staff, we've seen Paul Pierce get involved, and we'll see more C's from the past show up come playoff time.

Between Mike's last season as our play by play guy, hypothetical future bs speculation about Tatum's future & Jaylen's contract, we do have a lot at stake this season, and everyone seems to realize a sense of urgency. Part of me feels confident they will find a way to go all the way. There is an ere of urgency surrounding this team but it's coupled with an ere of confidence.

But I mean, I simply won't feel that confident until May comes around and we show our real hand. It's not like we have been a bad team in the past, we have simply been front runners who have a tendency to fall apart sometimes against tough opponents who have game planned well.

Anyways - our guys deserve a chance to show us what they are capable of - no point in dwelling on concerns from the past.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:45 pm

voted 1 but I'm frontin

If games get close and Tatum does his normal slow-it-down-and-just-me-me-me thing, we could lose. Definitely in the Finals, and possibly to a hot ECF opponent.
That's the final exam for him, and I guess for this team. Can Tatum trust his teammates to help win close games?
All the snap-back moves in the world with Drew Hanlon can't teach him that lesson.
His teammates and coaches can help him get there.
Maybe what he hears from the media, too.
I'm willing to guess that he learns the lesson enough to get it done.
If he doesn't, the blowback will be pretty brutal -- but I'd still like the C's chances to get it done in 2025.
But NOW! I want it now! I WANT THE KIDS TO SEE!!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Deivork
Starter

Post#7 » by Deivork » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:52 pm

threrf23 wrote:On some level, I haven't trusted this franchise at all since game 6 vs the Heat. I saw backwards progress, a repeat of past mistakes, a lack of basic game prep at times, our best players still looking a bit unsure and/or fatigued under pressure. I saw Wyc scolding the players without looking to Brad, Joe, and himself as the ones at the top of the food chain.

On some level, I have lots of faith in this team. Brad is legitimately a great or at least good basketball mind, or at least a relatively great GM, Joe is an outlier who gained Brad's trust and respect. In theory if not reality, we suddenly have the most complete and balanced 8 man rotation in the league despite the redundancy of the Jays; not only do we have the Jays, but KP gives us a stud big man, DWhite gives us a stud guard, Tillman = high caliber defensive role player, Hauser = high caliber 3&D guy, Jrue = 6MOY if he were used in that role, Al is the veteran leader (and he can contribute quite a bit on occasion), Pritch and Kornet are amazing end of rotation guys. Then you have Sam Cassell & Charles Lee as great additions to our coaching staff, we've seen Paul Pierce get involved, and we'll see more C's from the past show up come playoff time.

Between Mike's last season as our play by play guy, hypothetical future bs speculation about Tatum's future & Jaylen's contract, we do have a lot at stake this season, and everyone seems to realize a sense of urgency. Part of me feels confident they will find a way to go all the way. There is an ere of urgency surrounding this team but it's coupled with an ere of confidence.

But I mean, I simply won't feel that confident until May comes around and we show our real hand. It's not like we have been a bad team in the past, we have simply been front runners who have a tendency to fall apart sometimes against tough opponents who have game planned well.

Anyways - our guys deserve a chance to show us what they are capable of - no point in dwelling on concerns from the past.

This was a great read. Thank you.
chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Post#8 » by chrisab123 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:59 pm

I trust them against any team except Miami.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,436

Post#9 » by shackles10 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:01 pm

Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,397

Post#10 » by Homerclease » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:46 pm

Anything less than a title is a failure. This team can, and will deliver
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,598

Post#11 » by bisme37 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:41 pm

This is the most I've trusted the C's since the KG/Pierce/Ray/Rondo days. Nuggets give me a little anxiety but I'm confident it's our year. Would have been nice to win one of the RS games against them but they were both close games and we missed a lot of open shots in both. The first meeting we lost by two points and I think both Jays were like 1-9 from 3. If either of those guys makes one more dang shot over the course of the game it would have been the opposite result and narrative. In a 7 game series I think we get it done.
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#12 » by Ben-N1ce » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:45 pm

Can't have 100% trust until they win the title. That is the bar and that is the standard for a team this talented. I'm not going to kill them if they were to lose to Denver. If they dont make the Finals Healthy it's nothing short of an Epic failure. No question. Tatum and co will be labeled regular season wonders until they get it done.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,929

Post#13 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:49 pm

Voted #1 with confidence.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#14 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm

Whether I trust them or not...

Also, I don't fully trust them to do it lol. But of course, they'll get it done. I believe in them. They have to show me first though.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,883

Post#15 » by BK_2020 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 pm

I give them about +220 odds.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,490

Post#16 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:42 pm

There is residual fear based on previous years, but hard to determine how much of that is irrational.

I can see how good the team is, how well they’re coached, the growth in all players and what an amazing job Brad has done as GM to get to this point.

I chose option 2 in part because of that irrational fear, but also because regardless of how good we are, they and especially Jokic are great too.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,006

Post#17 » by Fierce1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:17 am

Some of you guys need to stop with the hedging.

It's either you're all in or just say you're out.

There's no in-between here.

Remember, a lot of folks are saying this is championship or bust, right?
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,249

Post#18 » by itrsteve » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:55 am

Hope dies last
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,006

Post#19 » by Fierce1 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:02 am

itrsteve wrote:Hope dies last

Bob Hope?
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,490

Post#20 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:28 am

Fierce1 wrote:Some of you guys need to stop with the hedging.

It's either you're all in or just say you're out.

There's no in-between here.

Remember, a lot of folks are saying this is championship or bust, right?

Dude, that's ridiculous lol.

Return to Boston Celtics