ImageImageImage

Celts Are Never Allowed To Go To Atlanta Again! Loss vs ATL 3/28

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Re: Celts Are Never Allowed To Go To Atlanta Again! Loss vs ATL 3/28 

Post#221 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 pm

Well thankfully our top East competitor has Doc Rivers as their head coach.

I'm starting to think Joe is kinda like offensive Budenholzer, his system works great when it's on but his ability to adjust when it's not isn't great and his late-game stuff is just blah. I think this team has to make the Finals, or you fire him.

This team just got pushed around in two straight games. KP has fell off as a rim protector, I hope that's just him protecting his body but we'll see. But here's the reality, you are probably going to be facing Embiid or Bam Round 1. He probably won't guard Embiid much, but can he hold his own against Bam? He's done that this year.

I do think that a lot of March NBA is kinda fughazi, like the Nuggets absolutely SUCKED in March last year. Their reddit after every game was saying they have no shot at the title, Murray sucks yada yada. But they have Jokic, and we haven't seen that Tatum top 5 leap yet.

This team can win the title or lose in the first round. Who knows? We just gotta see.
seiffert82
Sophomore
And1: 215

Post#222 » by seiffert82 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:55 pm

Worst part about that OT loss was it felt like we completely choked 3 times in three days against a below-par opposition.

Why we completely go away from what works for us in the last two minutes of close games puzzles me.

And Tatum needs to get the need to go iso and hit a last second game winning shot out of his head. It's killing us.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran
And1: 6,494

Post#223 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 pm

The Corey's wrote:
bisme37 wrote:So a day later I think the 1st loss on Monday was more about the C's. We had a huge lead and were dominating so easily we decided the game was over and stopped playing hard and stopped playing the right way.

The loss last night I thought was really just a Hawks win. C's were definitely not perfect but both teams battled and the Hawks had the last possession and finished the night 1 point better.

I've noticed after losses this board is full of mega tough guys who want to talk about manliness and whatnot, but it strikes me that those fans are consistently the most whiney and act like we're entitled to win every game. Which is not the most manly behavior imo.

We lost a game. Take it on the chin and move on. I said what I said.

Another zero accountability take. Taking shots at people for who they handle loses instead of focusing on the reality of the situation.

The 30 point blown lead loss is in the Celtics? It took you 4 days to come to that conclusion?

You know what Ive noticed? I've noticed that some of you really can't handle dissenting takes when the Celtics lose and throw a fit that everything isn't kumbaya.

It's not news when the Celtics beat the hawks by 30. It definitely is news when they blow a 30 point lead.

I'm not sure if y'all have noticed by the playoffs are around the corner and the Celtics are heading in the wrong direction.

Accountability?

Lol dude do you think this is the UN or Capitol Hill? Anybody can believe or say what they want about the team or games without requiring anything. It’s a fan forum for sport that only has whatever meaning we assign to it.

If you’re a mod on here you can’t ignore people and have to read through all the posts whining and abusing each other. Why can’t they have their say too?

So what if the Celts really are heading in the wrong direction as you suggest. Should we all write angry letters or call up talk back radio and abuse people?

Maybe the Celts should blow it up, we lost to Atlanta twice playing lazy basketball and not showing up on defense, Joe didn’t draw up a play to win a meaningless game so it must mean he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s the only possible reason for it. JT didn’t run through 5 people to take it to the hoop so he must be soft and he didn’t pass it off so he must be dumb, it’s the only possible reason.

None of us have any real access to know what’s going on to know anything much.

Taking shots at people for how they handle losses when they have been taking shots at others is absolutely fair, especially if you’re a mod who has to deal with it.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#224 » by Deivork » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:41 pm

You can skip to 3:30 for Zach Lowe's accurate comments
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,673

Post#225 » by Green89 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:52 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Celtics Players TS% and FGA/gm in the Clutch:

• Tatum: 52.8%, 2.1 FGAs
• Brown: 57.9%, 1.4 FGAs
• Porzingis: 72.9%, 1.3 FGAs
• White: 78.5%, 1.0 FGAs
• Holiday: 64.7%, 0.8 FGAs
• Horford: 60.3%, 0.7 FGAs

Took Joe a full year to figure out White should close games. Getting him to realize White can be taking last second shots is the next big step Joe has to take.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,037

Post#226 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 pm

Thank you for reminding me the Celtics had a two-day rest advantage for this game and depleted Hawks were playing on 2nd night of B2B. Makes the loss even more inexcusable lol.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,064

Post#227 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:37 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Ahh. So the results don't matter. Just the entertainment.

Everything makes sense now.

Of course!

Reason why I watch the Celtics is for entertainment.

I mean unless you're one of the owners of the Celtics, there's nothing at stake for us fans.

There's more to life than your favorite NBA team winning or not winning a championship.

You do you but that's not really the spirit of the game. You play to win, you watch for competition.

Entertainment is not what it's about. If it's entertainment then basically it's just WWE at that point.

Of course you play to win.

But the point is if the Celtics don't win it doesn't have an adverse effect on our lives.

And the refs are making the NBA similar to the WWE.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#228 » by exculpatory » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dunno what he says to the guys in the privacy of the locker room, but him saying that was a good look... is not a good look. Does he truly believe that? 'Cos we're screwed if he does. Just try to get a better look than that maybe?

**** moron.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#229 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:42 am

Behind by 3 or less in under a minute:

JT's clutch numbers better in the playoffs FWIW. Would still like a less predictable and less stagnant approach in those situations, thank you.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#230 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:46 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

JT's clutch numbers better in the playoffs FWIW. Would still like a less predictable and less stagnant approach in those situations, thank you.

If we don’t, I’ll be first with my pitchfork for Joe (unless it’s working). I’m betting hard on us tinkering and not showing things prior to playoffs as the reason behind it now, if it turns out it’s simply incompetence then I’ll also grind the tip of my pitchfork lol.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#231 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:51 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

If we don’t, I’ll be first with my pitchfork for Joe (unless it’s working). I’m betting hard on us tinkering and not showing things prior to playoffs as the reason behind it now, if it turns out it’s simply incompetence then I’ll also grind the tip of my pitchfork lol.

The play they ran at the end of regulation is the same play we've ran at least 5x to my recollection. Probably more. Worked twice (PHI, CLE) before. But teams have caught up on it and already know what's coming when they see that formation where Tatum comes from the backcourt.

Hope you're right Mazzulla has something else in the bag. :P Or maybe he doesn't, that's why he rarely calls timeouts in those instances.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#232 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:01 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Behind by 3 or less in under a minute:

The play they ran at the end of regulation is the same play we've ran at least 5x to my recollection. Probably more. Worked twice (PHI, CLE) before. But teams have caught up on it and already know what's coming when they see that formation where Tatum comes from the backcourt.

Hope you're right Mazzulla has something else in the bag. :P Or maybe he doesn't, that's why he rarely calls timeouts in those instances.

I’m betting that we’re doing this now for reps if we’re stuck in this situation in the playoffs rather than it’s the preferred play. But again it’s based on belief in Brad first, then hearing Joe speak at length, he’s clearly very bright and sees the game naturally, then based on others in the industry who talk about him.

Last year I can write off to first year, no training camp, little experience and assistants. Joe is a different thinker with some unconventional philosophies and all of that’s fine, but I don’t think he’s dumb and hope to hell he’s learnt from last years playoffs like he says he has.

Right now I fail to believe there is no reason behind his approach and that all the other assistants and Brad are just standing around saying “this is fine”(.gif)
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#233 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:03 am

Some of the reporters are CLNS are also talking about maybe Joe is saving what he have in his bag for the playoffs.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,034

Post#234 » by exculpatory » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:06 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:
1. This team's not man enough.
Yup. Not enough grit & dog. See Truth & Ticket!

2. I see what I see. Like with Jaylen’s weaknesses last year,
and, this year as well - albeit, to his credit, somewhat less frequently.

3. But Joe TOTALLY & COMPLETELY sucks. A coach in WAY over his head (who STILL does not understand when to call a TO to mitigate MO & reset, & who STILL cannot design an effective, mother **** crunch time ATO play), a soft af starting center, an iffy bench, a starting SG who still can't dribble with his left hand, (& who still has all too frequent ‘selfish dumb play’ & TOV binges, & misses way too many FTs), & an ultra-talented MVP who too frequently lacks grit during winning time.

Excellent post.
Come back more often, Cave.
I added a few of my thoughts in bolded red font.

I don’t think Joe has anything hidden in his bag.
I wish he did.

The only way we win #18 is via a long PO run of pure dominating talent, superb 3 point shooting, wall to wall intense D, & by mixing in Derrick, Jrue & Zinger more often down the stretch - with JT & 7 on the move.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#235 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:11 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:If we don’t, I’ll be first with my pitchfork for Joe (unless it’s working). I’m betting hard on us tinkering and not showing things prior to playoffs as the reason behind it now, if it turns out it’s simply incompetence then I’ll also grind the tip of my pitchfork lol.

I’m betting that we’re doing this now for reps if we’re stuck in this situation in the playoffs rather than it’s the preferred play. But again it’s based on belief in Brad first, then hearing Joe speak at length, he’s clearly very bright and sees the game naturally, then based on others in the industry who talk about him.

Last year I can write off to first year, no training camp, little experience and assistants. Joe is a different thinker with some unconventional philosophies and all of that’s fine, but I don’t think he’s dumb and hope to hell he’s learnt from last years playoffs like he says he has.

Right now I fail to believe there is no reason behind his approach and that all the other assistants and Brad are just standing around saying “this is fine”(.gif)

The truth shall be revealed in due time. Some choose to give him the benefit of the doubt and some just flat out don't believe in him. I'm in wait and see mode. FWIW, I don't think he sucks or think he's an idiot (you don't get this type of reg season results without a good coach regardless of roster strength) but I believe he's a proud stubborn man and that could contribute to our demise.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Veteran

Post#236 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:13 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:The play they ran at the end of regulation is the same play we've ran at least 5x to my recollection. Probably more. Worked twice (PHI, CLE) before. But teams have caught up on it and already know what's coming when they see that formation where Tatum comes from the backcourt.

The truth shall be revealed in due time. Some choose to give him the benefit of the doubt and some just flat out don't believe in him. I'm in wait and see mode. FWIW, I don't think he sucks or think he's an idiot (you don't get this type of reg season results without a good coach regardless of roster strength) but I believe he's a proud stubborn man and that could contribute to our demise.

You nailed my main worry about him, we will definitely see…
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,687

Post#237 » by The Corey's » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:19 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
bisme37 wrote:So a day later I think the 1st loss on Monday was more about the C's. We had a huge lead and were dominating so easily we decided the game was over and stopped playing hard and stopped playing the right way.

The loss last night I thought was really just a Hawks win. C's were definitely not perfect but both teams battled and the Hawks had the last possession and finished the night 1 point better.

I've noticed after losses this board is full of mega tough guys who want to talk about manliness and whatnot, but it strikes me that those fans are consistently the most whiney and act like we're entitled to win every game. Which is not the most manly behavior imo.

Another zero accountability take. Taking shots at people for who they handle loses instead of focusing on the reality of the situation.

The 30 point blown lead loss is in the Celtics? It took you 4 days to come to that conclusion?

You know what Ive noticed? I've noticed that some of you really can't handle dissenting takes when the Celtics lose and throw a fit that everything isn't kumbaya.

It's not news when the Celtics beat the hawks by 30. It definitely is news when they blow a 30 point lead.

I'm not sure if y'all have noticed by the playoffs are around the corner and the Celtics are heading in the wrong direction.

Accountability?

Lol dude do you think this is the UN or Capitol Hill? Anybody can believe or say what they want about the team or games without requiring anything. It’s a fan forum for sport that only has whatever meaning we assign to it.

If you’re a mod on here you can’t ignore people and have to read through all the posts whining and abusing each other. Why can’t they have their say too?

So what if the Celts really are heading in the wrong direction as you suggest. Should we all write angry letters or call up talk back radio and abuse people?

Maybe the Celts should blow it up, we lost to Atlanta twice playing lazy basketball and not showing up on defense, Joe didn’t draw up a play to win a meaningless game so it must mean he doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s the only possible reason for it. JT didn’t run through 5 people to take it to the hoop so he must be soft and he didn’t pass it off so he must be dumb, it’s the only possible reason.

None of us have any real access to know what’s going on to know anything much.

Taking shots at people for how they handle losses when they have been taking shots at others is absolutely fair, especially if you’re a mod who has to deal with it.

I've never taken a shot at anyone for their takes but you better believe my inbox loads up whenever I **** on do nothing Joe. I know which user the post was directed at but still I find it interesting that the fandom of some users are called into question because they focus on when things are going bad more than they're out here singing the praises of the times it's good.

I don't understand why y'all are this defensive about how bad the Celtics played the last two games.

I'm here when they're winning 20 games a year and I'm here when they win 60.

I don't respond to bad basketball with positivity just because the season has been almost mostly flawless.

This ain't about the regular season. It never was. This was about and is about will it be different in the playoffs.

Blame do nothing Joe and hasn't taken the next step Tatum for continuing to show that when times are tough, they're still the same as they always was.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,595

Post#238 » by playa-hater » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:27 am

Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Sorry but I am not letting you cut the line. Wait your turn like everyone else.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#239 » by Fierce1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:59 am

playa-hater wrote:
Mr_Mojo_Risin wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Behind by 3 or less in under a minute:

Sorry but I am not letting you cut the line. Wait your turn like everyone else.

Are you open to the idea of expediting the process of removing Joe, in exchange the Celtics exit in the 1st round?
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,434

Post#240 » by Captain_Caveman » Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:45 am

This post sucks, especially from a mod. Feel free to speak to me directly like an adult when you are calling me out, especially if you are lecturing about manliness.

I don't post here very much for a few reasons. #1, there's really not a lot to talk about until we get out of the first round and the real season starts. #2, there are very few people here who know anything about hoops and even fewer who can keep things to hoops. It is complete bull **** that so many people here exist just to talk about other posters who are talking about basketball. Get it **** together, people.

Now if your fanhood entails singing kumbayah over beating the Pistons in March, have at it. You will not see me calling out your person for that. But this is a discussion board and not a personal sandbox for those of you who like it that way. Don't like someone's sports opinion? Scroll past, or block them if you gotta. Start with me, if you like.

As to hoops, this team is talented. It is not smart or tough or well-coached. In these last two losses, it isn't even so much that we missed shots or played like aimless idiots in crunch time again. The Hawks straight punked us. They absolutely attacked Porzingis on defense and crashed the offensive glass like we weren't even there, while telling us all about it. Just a total disrespect for us over the last 6+ quarters.

With Al as old as he is, quite possible that our 3 toughest players are now guards. Overall, we are clearly not the toughest team around, especially when the 3-pointer are not falling. In a hyper-alpha, hyper-competitive league where teams try to impose their will on each other, it's not a great weakness to have. Especially once you hit the playoffs, where whistles get swallowed and the game gets even rougher.

For you and anyone who thinks that doesn't matter much, or that I am engaging in "emotional" hyperbole, consider the following. In 4 of the last 5 playoffs if not more, we have lost to teams that were tougher than us, despite having teams that were tougher than this one is. It was especially apparent and painful in last year's loss to an inferior and shorthanded Heat team that simply wanted it more than we did.

Agree with my takes or not, I'm not some bandwagon noob. I'm a grimy ass City of Boston native who has been watching hoops for a long damn time. I know for a stone cold fact that championship teams tend not to be soft teams. Not in any sport, in any season and any era. The only truly soft team I can recall even making the Finals was the Dwight Howard Magic in 2009, which only happened because the East was weak and KG was out for the year. Even then, we took that team and their allegedly great center to 7 games with a frontcourt rotation of Perkins, Big Baby, and Scal.

Every last Celtics title team has been tougher than leather, just like those of the Patriots, Red Sox, and Bruins. Whether they were the most talented teams or not, their championships rosters were chock full of alphas that were not only not afraid of the moment, they lived for it and would fight for it. That's what it takes, simple as that.

If you or anyone else are just happy to be entertained and cool with yet another close but no cigar season, that's your right. Again, I won't call out your person for it. But please know that most Celtic fans view winning championships as a goddamn birthright, and will thus judge the team and their play at a higher standard than that. There's really nothing emotional about looking at things that way.

That is all.

Return to Boston Celtics