ImageImageImage

Celts Are Never Allowed To Go To Atlanta Again! Loss vs ATL 3/28

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,315

Re: Celts Are Never Allowed To Go To Atlanta Again! Loss vs ATL 3/28 

Post#181 » by chrisab123 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:01 am

Well this was fun. Live and die by the 3.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,443

Post#182 » by Triple7 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:04 am

Jammer wrote:I've been saying for quite a number of years now that the players union needs to insist on the bottom 10% of the refs being expelled from the league EVERY year, with no chance of return. That would go a long way to removing the INCOMPETENT refs.

It's a talent, skill based job. However, the NBA doesn't remove those that lack the skills to stand up to video review.

The Players Union needs to make that a Deal Breaker section of their Bargaining Agreement. Upgrading the skills of the refs by removing the inattentive, unaware, slow to react, poorly observant, poorly positioned, lousy judgement and phantom calls.

I agree with this. Its really obvious the refs were out to get us the whole game. Still our fault for keeping it close, and bailing out the D with taking ill advised 3’s, or taking the shot too early thinking a foul will be called, and just flipping the ball in the hoop.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#183 » by Jammer » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:20 am

On the bright side the Celtics Offensive Efficiency is the best that it's ever been in the Tatum-Brown era and well above the threshold for an NBA champion. Meaning, in a 7 game series, they should win. Then you get a team like Golden State in 2022 where Steph Curry has his best NBA Finals in 5 tries and Andrew Wiggins played exactly like I predicted before the series ... Oh well.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,911

Post#184 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:39 am

Jammer wrote:On the bright side the Celtics Offensive Efficiency is the best that it's ever been in the Tatum-Brown era and well above the threshold for an NBA champion. Meaning, in a 7 game series, they should win. Then you get a team like Golden State in 2022 where Steph Curry has his best NBA Finals in 5 tries and Andrew Wiggins played exactly like I predicted before the series ... Oh well.

Historically, defensive dominance is a better indicator of playoff success than offensive dominance. Nash never won a title despite being the engine of historically great offenses. Curry-led teams won because they were also awesome on the other end, having one of the all-time defenders anchoring their D.

We lost to the Warriors in 2022 cos they were able to make us work for our points and got stops when it mattered.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#185 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am

Triple7 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I've been flipflopping on this 3-ball thing in the Mazzulla era but I think the Cs should double down on their strength. Don't listen to the "they take too many threes" crowd. As long as they generate wide open looks via ball movement, take those threes. Cs are shooting 42.5% from 3, making 16.6 per game. That combo of volume and accuracy has never been seen in league history. Lean on that. The numbers don't lie. We've had a higher chance of losing when we don't take as many threes. The fight for the margins mean less when our team is +11.4 pts better on threes. On good shooting nights, we're +30 pts on threes, hence the blowouts.

Not saying abandon the post or drives. Mismatches on those lead to easy points or fouls. Opponents doubling lead to defensive rotation and easier looks. Though teams that can defend us in isolation and don't resort to blitzing/doubling seem to give us trouble esp late in games.

Take threes. Make threes. Minimize the margin for error. Increase potential for blowout wins.

Having said that, we still need better offensive execution on last possession shots. Maybe Joe has 30 end-of-game plays waiting to be unleashed in the postseason (but I doubt it lol).

I think they should just feed the ball to porzingis and let him make a play or pass it out. He has shown in the past, he can make the right play. Much like what the nuggets are doing with jokic. The jays can be more efficient with a catch and shoot in the perimeter, same with white and Jrue. Much better than watching Tatum try to get free off the dribble, and chuck off an awkward fade away turn around shot.

They need to be less predictable in end of game situations. I know it’s unconventional to have the ball in someone else’s hand other than your best player end of games but every team is ready and anticipating Tatum with the ball. For this game, I would’ve given it to White with 6.7 left. Run quick PnR with KP. I would trust him to make the right decision in that situation. Live with the result instead of the iso chucks we’re used to. Isn’t this why they brought in upgrades? Cos Jays alone couldn’t get it done? Yes to more offball JT and JB.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#186 » by Triple7 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:50 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Jammer wrote:On the bright side the Celtics Offensive Efficiency is the best that it's ever been in the Tatum-Brown era and well above the threshold for an NBA champion. Meaning, in a 7 game series, they should win. Then you get a team like Golden State in 2022 where Steph Curry has his best NBA Finals in 5 tries and Andrew Wiggins played exactly like I predicted before the series ... Oh well.

Historically, defensive dominance is a better indicator of playoff success than offensive dominance. Nash never won a title despite being the engine of historically great offenses. Curry-led teams won because they were also awesome on the other end, having one of the all-time defenders anchoring their D.

We lost to the Warriors in 2022 cos they were able to make us work for our points and got stops when it mattered.

Actually, they didn’t really stopped us on D. We were just missing tons of shots, mostly 3’s. They were playing with Steph and poole. Both mediocre to average defenders at best. An injured Klay as well. Wiggins defended Tatum well i give them that. The warriors got their confidence. Sinking most of their 3’s. My point is, they punked us, and we crumbled. Same thing happened against the heat last year. Butler punked us, and the Jays didn’t respond. Its like they were scared of the challenge. We can never win unless the Jays, especially JT change their mentality. Damn Kobe wouldn’t let Butler or wiggins stop him. Tatum is easily distracted. A non call by the refs would easily ruin his focus.
Triple7
RealGM

Post#187 » by Triple7 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I've been flipflopping on this 3-ball thing in the Mazzulla era but I think the Cs should double down on their strength. Don't listen to the "they take too many threes" crowd. As long as they generate wide open looks via ball movement, take those threes. Cs are shooting 42.5% from 3, making 16.6 per game. That combo of volume and accuracy has never been seen in league history. Lean on that. The numbers don't lie. We've had a higher chance of losing when we don't take as many threes. The fight for the margins mean less when our team is +11.4 pts better on threes. On good shooting nights, we're +30 pts on threes, hence the blowouts.

Not saying abandon the post or drives. Mismatches on those lead to easy points or fouls. Opponents doubling lead to defensive rotation and easier looks. Though teams that can defend us in isolation and don't resort to blitzing/doubling seem to give us trouble esp late in games.

Take threes. Make threes. Minimize the margin for error. Increase potential for blowout wins.

Having said that, we still need better offensive execution on last possession shots. Maybe Joe has 30 end-of-game plays waiting to be unleashed in the postseason (but I doubt it lol).

I think they should just feed the ball to porzingis and let him make a play or pass it out. He has shown in the past, he can make the right play. Much like what the nuggets are doing with jokic. The jays can be more efficient with a catch and shoot in the perimeter, same with white and Jrue. Much better than watching Tatum try to get free off the dribble, and chuck off an awkward fade away turn around shot.

They need to be less predictable in end of game situations. I know it’s unconventional to have the ball in someone else’s hand other than your best player end of games but every team is ready and anticipating Tatum with the ball. For this game, I would’ve given it to White with 6.7 left. Run quick PnR with KP. I would trust him to make the right decision in that situation. Live with the result instead of the iso chucks we’re used to. Isn’t this why they brought in upgrades? Cos Jays alone couldn’t get it done? Yes to more offball JT and JB.

I agree with this. It can still be the Jays who shoots the final shot, but giving the ball to porzingis on top, or letting Dwhite try and facilitate a play, would be even better. Like the warriors, Steph never gets the ball on the dying seconds trying to iso a shot off. Its always move the ball, and constant cutting and picks to get him or klay the shot. Trying to get free off the dribble against a good defender is extremely difficult.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,669

Post#188 » by Green89 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:06 am

Jellybeans wrote:LOL at people crying about KP :lol:
If thats your main concern after Hawks games then no comments :lol:
Its should be only about our late game O again and again.Biggest surprise was that JB actually got the ball and made shot. Other then that people just stand around and watch JT

Just stand around and watch your #1 option actually works for a lot of teams, with a stud they can count on in the clutch.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#189 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Dunno what he says to the guys in the privacy of the locker room, but him saying that was a good look... is not a good look. Does he truly believe that? 'Cos we're screwed if he does. Just try to get a better look than that maybe?
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,091

Post#190 » by fallguy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Dunno what he says to the guys in the privacy of the locker room, but him saying that was a good look... is not a good look. Does he truly believe that? 'Cos we're screwed if he does. Just try to get a better look than that maybe?

He absolutely thinks that was good. He is what he is and we're stuck with him.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,882

Post#191 » by BK_2020 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 pm

Green89 wrote:
Jellybeans wrote:LOL at people crying about KP :lol:
If thats your main concern after Hawks games then no comments :lol:
Its should be only about our late game O again and again.Biggest surprise was that JB actually got the ball and made shot. Other then that people just stand around and watch JT

Just stand around and watch your #1 option actually works for a lot of teams, with a stud they can count on in the clutch.

That's why all those other teams have better records than the Celtics. They are just better and have better players and coach.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,002

Post#192 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 pm

Maybe that's why the players love Joe so much.

Joe's always got their backs.
tfribs45
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,015

Post#193 » by tfribs45 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Joe's lucky this roster is loaded. He doesn't bring much to the table and the fact that he thinks it was a good luck, is embarrassing. Give JT the ball and let him take a fade away three with 2 guys on him smh. 4 guys literally stood around the perimeter to let JT go ISO?! That's not Celtics basketball, and they need to adjust to the live and die by the three mentality! WTH is Tillman jacking up threes smh........Things to work on before we capture banner 18
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#194 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 pm

Those who don't believe in Joe should not root for the Cs to win it all this season.

The more Joe fails the faster he gets fired.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#195 » by canman1971 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 pm

Fierce1 wrote:Those who don't believe in Joe should not root for the Cs to win it all this season.

It also makes them losers...so later, if that is what those want and how they think.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#196 » by Fierce1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:57 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Those who don't believe in Joe should not root for the Cs to win it all this season.

It also makes them losers...so later, if that is what those want and how they think.

Yeah, but Joe is also trying to keep his job.

If the players don't want him fired then he has one of the best jobs in the NBA.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,513

Post#197 » by canman1971 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:

Yeah, but Joe is also trying to keep his job.

If the players don't want him fired then he has one of the best jobs in the NBA.

I'm referring to anyone who wants the Cs to fail, so Joe could get fired.
Deivork
Starter
And1: 1,804

Post#198 » by Deivork » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:10 pm

Lee Van Cleef wrote:Why would anyone construct such a team and give the keys to someone like Mazzulla? What kind of mindset is this?

Quite a mistery to me too. Mazzula has some positive attributes for sure, but I guess Ime's situation forced the whole thing, no?
Deivork
Starter

Post#199 » by Deivork » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 pm

What strikes me as odd is Joe's decision to put the starters back together when he was doing rotations. It seemed to me like a statement decision after the debacle of Tuesday and bring back our best version.

All that to then have the team barely give a 50% effort. Is there some disconnection here or am I reading too much into it?
Deivork
Starter

Post#200 » by Deivork » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:27 pm

Maybe they were partying these days? I don't know. I'm sure these guys party. Do you guys know the team's travel plans? Did they spend 3/4 days in Atlanta? I would guess no.

Funny too how after our 11-win streak we then lost to Cleveland and Denver and now after a 9-win streak we too lose 2 in a row.

Return to Boston Celtics