ImageImageImage

Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
6%
Jrue
2%
KP
31%
Horford
No votes
Hauser
2%
Pritchard
32%
Kornet
2%
Tillman
23%
Svi
No votes
Other/Coach/Team
3%

Total votes: 65

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,487

Re: Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5 

Post#101 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:08 am

Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Smart2Nesmith43 wrote:By that logic Spoelstra sucks because he was powerless to adjust in any way when LeBron was stinking up the joint in the 2011 finals.

I think Carlisle definitely outcoached Spo in that series, but let's not go too far with the false equivalence here. Jaylen played like he had polio against a shorthanded Heat team that was nowhere near as good as the 2010-11 Mavs were.

You blame Mazzulla for his inability to adjust the role of one of his star player during a playoff series where they were slumping in his first real playoff run as a head coach.That the exact same thing happened to the guy that is considered the best coach in the NBA (who then came back to win the following two NBA titles) isn't a false equivalency, it's a fairly relevant data point. You can quibble that James was slightly better during that series against a slightly stouter defense but considering his baseline is so much higher than Brown's he was at least as far off his game as Jaylen if not more so.

By the way, to use your own terms, Popovich got bodied by Frank Ntilikina when he was coaching Jaylen Brown. Guess he doesn't pass your test for good coaching either.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I'm at a point with the dude where I don't even think it is just a matter of having a hands-off philosophy (that clearly doesn't match his roster). I think he doesn't even know what to do. No plays to call. No counters to make. Just figure it out, fellas. Shoot another 3 or five.

It's not like he needs to be Popovich or anything. We had 17 straight years with Doc and Brad calling slick out of timeout plays and making the necessary adjustments, plus a year of a solid Udoka/Will Hardy tandem right after that. When have you seen that with Joe?

The numbers certainly don't support your opinion: https://www.basketballinsiders.com/news/nba-study-which-nba-coach-is-the-best-at-calling-plays/

I could say a few other things, but let's focus on one. You have Spo above Popovich?
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#102 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:13 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:Just being able to win the game with a few 3rd stringers on the floor in the last 5 minutes is crazy and impressive.

Outscored us 20-1 down the stretch until Tillman got the o-board and putback and the refs ignored Svi clubbing Coby Jones in the face at the end.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#103 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:17 am

Gant wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:The Joe hate will eventually disappear once the Cs are going for Banner 20.

Justified or not, sports hate is permanent. Golden State fans want to fire Kerr all the time. Spoelstra gets regular criticism. Milwaukee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Budenholzer. Nurse got run out of Toronto. It's the way of things.

Fans are emotional beings who transfer the grinding angst of human misery in a pitiless universe on to sports figures. Go Celtics!!

I am pragmatic to the core and defend Kerr constantly to many Ws fans.

Kerr is a top 5-6 coach all-time. Mazzulla might be a bottom 5-6 coach I have seen in the NBA since I started watching in the very early 80s.

I don't even want to be right on this one. I just am.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#104 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:24 am

ParticleMan wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:Yep, we all saw all of that. Everyone. Rookie coach led a young team to a close series loss against a red-hot underdog. We shouldn't have choked like that. Brown and Tatum were ordinary throughout that finals series.

Not the first time that will happen with a young team and it sure won't be the last.

Your assessment of Mazzulla's coaching ability is complete hyperbole, with zero objectivity. That's your prerogative as a fan, but it doesn't make your assertion that he's incompetent and unqualified correct. You just don't like his approach.

He empowers his players to play ball and make their own decisions. We move the ball well and generate more open looks than any team I've seen. That's good coaching.

At the end of the day we will be judged by how we close out tough games. Both the coach and the key players are equally responsible for that.

The coach has given this squad every opportunity and the structure to succeed.

I disagree with that. I have laid out a pretty extensive case against Joe in the last week or two. Some of you just disagree with it. Time and again in crunch time, we are NOT moving the ball. His KC Jones/Ty Lue of just rolling out the ball and letting the guys play has been nowhere near as successful in tight games, where we continually look disjointed and unprepared.

Just since the start of last year's playoffs, this dude has about 30 games where it's just... why is he not calling timeout? Why is he sticking with a lineup that is getting bodied for 4-5 possessions too long? Why aren't there set plays? Why is Tatum yet again just dribbling to nowhere and flinging up a long fadeaway against 3 defenders at the end of the game?

I'm at a point with the dude where I don't even think it is just a matter of having a hands-off philosophy (that clearly doesn't match his roster). I think he doesn't even know what to do. No plays to call. No counters to make. Just figure it out, fellas. Shoot another 3 or five.

It's not like he needs to be Popovich or anything. We had 17 straight years with Doc and Brad calling slick out of timeout plays and making the necessary adjustments, plus a year of a solid Udoka/Will Hardy tandem right after that. When have you seen that with Joe?

I agree with your crunchtime assessment but do you really think this is 100% Joe's fault? Do you really think he says "hey, it's the last 5 minutes of a close game, why don't we stop doing the things that have been successful up to now and that i preach all the damn time and do something completely different?"

I think this is mostly on Tatum. Every time the ball is in Tatum's hands in crunchtime our offense slows to a crawl. I think he's been trying to let Tatum figure this out that this isn't the best approach. But he's our superstar, if you go around just telling him he's doing it wrong and try to go all Rick Carlisle on his ass how do you think that will go over? Joe has to walk a fine line.

One thing I've seen Joe do more is put the ball in White's hands and run plays with KP, which always generates more movement. So I think Joe is trying to show the team that this works better. Hopefully Tatum will see this. But Tatum is the guy who has to be on board. imo he's the issue here, not Joe. But Tatum is stubborn. Remember that one season where he tried to be Kobe? It's a long term process.

The fact is Joe empowers his players WAY more than Udoka did. That's a big reason why we are such an offensive juggernaut. He's managed the personalities on this team amazingly well, there are a lot of guys who could be getting bigger stats instead they are blending in and sharing, hell even JB is buying into that sometimes. To me that's the #1 job of a coach in a star-driven league, and Joe has been masterful at that.

Evert team ever has had flaws on some kind. I do think Joe's KC Jones/Ty Lue hands off style works better when you have Bird or LeBron, and not Tatum and Jaylen. We are basketball morons in tight games, which we typically only survive by being more talented than most teams.

How is that not on the coach? If we set the bar any lower for this guy, it would be underground.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#105 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:26 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Yeah, I though Sabonis was bad too, and I love the guy.

Double-doubles for big men with high usage and bad defense is not a big accomplishment.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#106 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:28 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Joe Mazzulla is a **** clown. Can't believe how bad this guy is at all times. If he costs us another title, the only saving grace is that we will fire him for sure.

Also, I know some of you like Hauser, but he better not play in the playoffs. I will bet $10,000 to win $1,000 that if he averages close to his regular season average in minutes, we are getting bounced for sure.

Anyhow, yay... we won after trying to give the game away. Stay healthy, please.

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice. Have they won the title yet?

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Apparently the 61-16 record is due to Joe's good luck.

Most of it is due to playing in a gutter conference with great health and the best top 6 in the league tbh.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#107 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:30 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Gant wrote:
Justified or not, sports hate is permanent. Golden State fans want to fire Kerr all the time. Spoelstra gets regular criticism. Milwaukee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Budenholzer. Nurse got run out of Toronto. It's the way of things.

Fans are emotional beings who transfer the grinding angst of human misery in a pitiless universe on to sports figures. Go Celtics!!

Agree.

What I don't agree with is the extremism.

Calling Joe a moron or an idiot is not difference in opinion anymore.

Hot takes from pseudo-intellectuals shouldnt be taken seriously here.

Why are you allowed to speak this way?

If I pointed out that I have three degrees from schools that wouldn't let you mop their floors, mods would jump in right away.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#108 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:33 am

Fierce1 wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Agree.

Hot takes from pseudo-intellectuals shouldnt be taken seriously here.

True. :nod:

I think you have the worst takes here, and do you know what I do about it?

I ignore them.

There's a block function. Use it if you guys need to.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#109 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:38 am

Sweet Serenity wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:Hot takes from pseudo-intellectuals shouldnt be taken seriously here.

You wouldn’t happpen to be talking about this guy ? :wink:

Captain_Caveman wrote:Willing to put my track record on hoops takes up with anyone here.

Captain_Caveman wrote:Feel free to talk hoops anytiiiiiiime now.

And may I suggest doing it from the shallow end of the pool?

Thanks in advance.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I'm a big picture guy whose takes move like glaciers.

Talk hoops.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#110 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:44 am

Tyakack wrote:Is it really that hard to just stick to the topic of basketball and our team? If you don't like someone's take, talk about their take specifically or just ignore them. These constant personal attacks are getting old.

I just reported posts for the first time ever. It sucks. I want to rip these people's souls in half, and can easily do so. Mods don't want that, and neither do most posters.

The TOU can't just be applied to me responding to that ****.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#111 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:47 am

Homerclease wrote:
Tyakack wrote:Is it really that hard to just stick to the topic of basketball and our team? If you don't like someone's take, talk about their take specifically or just ignore them. These constant personal attacks are getting old.

What’s really sad is that this forum is a shell of what it once was because far better posters were chased off and ban hammered for far less egregious posting.

I took a 6 hour ban a few weeks ago for asking someone “what are you complaining about”.

We used to have game threads that reached 100 pages and far superior discussion here. And it wasn’t all that long ago either

This board blew up in a ball of flame where everything but blatant racism and sexism was moderated harshly.

Cool, I guess.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#112 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:50 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:NBA officials admit they got this wrong lol. Should've been a shooting foul on Svi. FTs should've been awarded to that guy.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Very hard to get a foul call on the last play of the game. It's why Tatum shoots fallaways in that situation. It's why Jordan pushed off on Bryon Russell.

But Davis got clubbed lmao. Might even be a flagrant.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM

Post#113 » by Captain_Caveman » Sun Apr 7, 2024 7:53 am

CelticFaninLBC wrote:
Sweet Serenity wrote:
CelticFaninLBC wrote:Hot takes from pseudo-intellectuals shouldnt be taken seriously here.

You wouldn’t happpen to be talking about this guy ? :wink:

Captain_Caveman wrote:Willing to put my track record on hoops takes up with anyone here.

Captain_Caveman wrote:Feel free to talk hoops anytiiiiiiime now.

And may I suggest doing it from the shallow end of the pool?

Thanks in advance.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I'm a big picture guy whose takes move like glaciers.

Is ironic that guy refers to Mazzulla as a clown.

Sorry that your big L on Jaylen last year didn't go down well.
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,268

Post#114 » by Sweet Serenity » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:14 am

Some of these comments are straight up embarrassing.
Do you want a d*** measuring contest while you’re at it too ? :lol:

Captain_Caveman wrote:I am pragmatic to the core and defend Kerr constantly to many Ws fans.

Kerr is a top 5-6 coach all-time. Mazzulla might be a bottom 5-6 coach I have seen in the NBA since I started watching in the very early 80s.

Captain_Caveman wrote:If I pointed out that I have three degrees from schools that wouldn't let you mop their floors, mods would jump in right away.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I just reported posts for the first time ever. It sucks. I want to rip these people's souls in half, and can easily do so. Mods don't want that, and neither do most posters.

31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,270

Post#115 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:52 pm

Sweet Serenity wrote:Some of these comments are straight up embarrassing.
Do you want a d*** measuring contest while you’re at it too ? :lol:

Captain_Caveman wrote:I am pragmatic to the core and defend Kerr constantly to many Ws fans.

Captain_Caveman wrote:If I pointed out that I have three degrees from schools that wouldn't let you mop their floors, mods would jump in right away.

Captain_Caveman wrote:I just reported posts for the first time ever. It sucks. I want to rip these people's souls in half, and can easily do so. Mods don't want that, and neither do most posters.

Serenity maybe you're a new poster or maybe a re-registered older poster, but either way: if you haven't seen Cave's eviscerations, they are real, and they are spectacular. He's been a quality poster here for a long time. I'm glad he's chiming back in as the season winds down, and if you take him with a grain of salt and focus on his content, you'd probably find it interesting. Maybe even engaging?

I'm higher on Mazzulla being able to get this team across the finish line than he is, for example, but I'm reading what he's posting and thinking about it. Cave won't hesitate to tell you, but his track record IS pretty good. He'll probably also be the first to reach for a ruler -- or meter stick -- should it come to that;)

Signed,
someone who's been here a bunch for almost 20 years
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,270

Post#116 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:56 pm

Gant wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Gant wrote:

Agree.

True. People get wired up. I've found that for me, instead of going to a dark place over coaching decisions, the best way to deal with things is to bake bread. Here's today's loaf. It's just under two pounds, made with bread and light whole wheat flours. I will slice it after it cools.

Beautiful loaf Gant but proceed with caution -- the last poster to go down this road ended up moving to the desert and never (unless I'm forgetting) checking back in.

Still holding it down for you, Pogue Mahone!

OT: the wife and I baked bread until she developed gluten intolerance and we couldn't find a good GF flour for our technique FIRE DANNY
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#117 » by KillahGhostface » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:59 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Homerclease wrote:

What’s really sad is that this forum is a shell of what it once was because far better posters were chased off and ban hammered for far less egregious posting.

I took a 6 hour ban a few weeks ago for asking someone “what are you complaining about”.

We used to have game threads that reached 100 pages and far superior discussion here. And it wasn’t all that long ago either

This board blew up in a ball of flame where everything but blatant racism and sexism was moderated harshly.

Cool, I guess.

There’s dozens of posts like the one below over the last few weeks alone, and none of the sanctimonious forum neighborhood watch members report them, because the report button is just for posters that someone dislikes.

ryan in Maine wrote:It's pretty obvious that BK_2020 wants to **** JB.

Many here dislike BK, so the post gets and1’s and is cool. If homerclease or myself make the same post, we’d get banned. And past behavior is weak, because everyone here has had multiple posts worthy of warnings.

Soft soft soft behavior by the posters with selective morality.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,491

Post#118 » by Gant » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:20 pm

31to6 wrote:
Gant wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Agree.

True. People get wired up. I've found that for me, instead of going to a dark place over coaching decisions, the best way to deal with things is to bake bread. Here's today's loaf. It's just under two pounds, made with bread and light whole wheat flours. I will slice it after it cools.

Beautiful loaf Gant but proceed with caution -- the last poster to go down this road ended up moving to the desert and never (unless I'm forgetting) checking back in.

Still holding it down for you, Pogue Mahone!

OT: the wife and I baked bread until she developed gluten intolerance and we couldn't find a good GF flour for our technique FIRE DANNY

Oh that's too bad about your wife's gluten intolerance. I don't know anything about gluten free flours, though after recently watching the Blue Zones documentary on Netflix I started baking lentil bread because legumes are so good for you. Lentil bread tastes really good too if done right, but it's a different animal from regular bread.

I don't do well in the heat, so the desert is definitely out. If need be I might move deeper into the forest though.

https://www.bluezones.com/documentary/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81214929
ryan in Maine
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,788

Post#119 » by ryan in Maine » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:35 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:
Homerclease wrote:What’s really sad is that this forum is a shell of what it once was because far better posters were chased off and ban hammered for far less egregious posting.

Cool, I guess.

There’s dozens of posts like the one below over the last few weeks alone, and none of the sanctimonious forum neighborhood watch members report them, because the report button is just for posters that someone dislikes.

Many here dislike BK, so the post gets and1’s and is cool. If homerclease or myself make the same post, we’d get banned. And past behavior is weak, because everyone here has had multiple posts worthy of warnings.

You poor, poor victim of the fascist Celtics Board mod team.
Listen to Sinister by CZARFACE @YouTube
KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,858

Post#120 » by KillahGhostface » Sun Apr 7, 2024 3:03 pm

ryan in Maine wrote:
KillahGhostface wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Cool, I guess.

You poor, poor victim of the fascist Celtics Board mod team.

Yeah, posting that someone here wants to **** Jaylen is high quality stuff.

Congrats. That’s up there with your take that Tatum doesn’t draw more defensive attention than Jaylen.

Return to Boston Celtics