ImageImageImage

Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

Who smokes the big cigar?

Tatum
6%
Jrue
2%
KP
31%
Horford
No votes
Hauser
2%
Pritchard
32%
Kornet
2%
Tillman
23%
Svi
No votes
Other/Coach/Team
3%

Total votes: 65

FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,912

Re: Celts Overthrow Monarchy! Victory Cigar vs SAC 4/5 

Post#61 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:03 am

Just being able to win the game with a few 3rd stringers on the floor in the last 5 minutes is crazy and impressive.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Tatumfor2
Starter
And1: 4,752

Post#62 » by Tatumfor2 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 7:14 am

Another clutch victory! :party:
Win it for Al!!! :pray:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 91,853

Post#63 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 6, 2024 8:43 am

Celtics were previously winless (0-11) when shooting 54.0% or below TS%. They had a 52.1% TS% against the Kings and won.

After Pritchard made it 97-79 with 6:44 left in the game, the Celtics missed 13 consecutive field goal attempts before Tillman's game-winner.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#64 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:17 am

Congrats, Domas?

Read on Twitter
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,220

Post#65 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:27 am

ā–‘Nā–‘0ā–‘0ā–‘Dā–‘Sā–‘ ā–‘Iā–‘Nā–‘ ā–‘Bā–‘Iā–‘Oā–‘
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,877

Post#66 » by Jammer » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:55 am

After shooting 1-18 Hauser's Shooting Stats (Season):

42.7% from 3: (2nd to Holiday among rotation players)

63% Effective Shooting factoring 2's and 3's: (3rd behind Kornet and Horford among rotation players)

58.9% from 2: (well, he's not so bad from 2 after all, even though he averages less than 1 two point shot per game)

I still think he should have turned off the spigot and passed more (yesterday, that is).
Sweet Serenity
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,241

Post#67 » by Sweet Serenity » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:10 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:Joe Mazzulla is a **** clown. Can't believe how bad this guy is at all times. If he costs us another title, the only saving grace is that we will fire him for sure.

Also, I know some of you like Hauser, but he better not play in the playoffs. I will bet $10,000 to win $1,000 that if he averages close to his regular season average in minutes, we are getting bounced for sure.

Anyhow, yay... we won after trying to give the game away. Stay healthy, please.

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice. Have they won the title yet?

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,551

Post#68 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:34 pm

The Joe hate will eventually disappear once the Cs are going for Banner 20.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#69 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:37 pm

Fierce1 wrote:The Joe hate will eventually disappear once the Cs are going for Banner 20.

Why do you have to term it as hate when it could just very well be a difference in opinion? It's not like they're pelting his house with flaming bags of dog poo.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#70 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:45 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:The Joe hate will eventually disappear once the Cs are going for Banner 20.

Why do you have to term it as hate when it could just very well be a difference in opinion? It's not like they're pelting his house with flaming bags of dog poo.

Because it's easier to type.

"Difference of opinion" is 19 letters.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#71 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:48 pm

Fierce1 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

Easier to type nothing.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#72 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:50 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Why do you have to term it as hate when it could just very well be a difference in opinion? It's not like they're pelting his house with flaming bags of dog poo.

Easier to type nothing.

Where's the fun in that?
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#73 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 12:58 pm

Let's get real, some of the fans here call Joe an idiot or a moron.

No way that's just a difference in opinion.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#74 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:18 pm

Tillman's floater with 7.4 seconds left is only the second game-winning basket by the Celtics this season and the first that came under 10 seconds left in the game. Kristaps has the first and only other game-winner this season against the Grizzlies back in November. It was a dunk assisted by Tatum with a little over a minute to go.

Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,484

Post#75 » by Gant » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:42 pm

Justified or not, sports hate is permanent. Golden State fans want to fire Kerr all the time. Spoelstra gets regular criticism. Milwaukee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Budenholzer. Nurse got run out of Toronto. It's the way of things.

Fans are emotional beings who transfer the grinding angst of human misery in a pitiless universe on to sports figures. Go Celtics!!
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#76 » by ParticleMan » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:47 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
seiffert82 wrote:Yep, we all saw all of that. Everyone. Rookie coach led a young team to a close series loss against a red-hot underdog. We shouldn't have choked like that. Brown and Tatum were ordinary throughout that finals series.

Not the first time that will happen with a young team and it sure won't be the last.

Your assessment of Mazzulla's coaching ability is complete hyperbole, with zero objectivity. That's your prerogative as a fan, but it doesn't make your assertion that he's incompetent and unqualified correct. You just don't like his approach.

He empowers his players to play ball and make their own decisions. We move the ball well and generate more open looks than any team I've seen. That's good coaching.

At the end of the day we will be judged by how we close out tough games. Both the coach and the key players are equally responsible for that.

The coach has given this squad every opportunity and the structure to succeed.

I disagree with that. I have laid out a pretty extensive case against Joe in the last week or two. Some of you just disagree with it. Time and again in crunch time, we are NOT moving the ball. His KC Jones/Ty Lue of just rolling out the ball and letting the guys play has been nowhere near as successful in tight games, where we continually look disjointed and unprepared.

Just since the start of last year's playoffs, this dude has about 30 games where it's just... why is he not calling timeout? Why is he sticking with a lineup that is getting bodied for 4-5 possessions too long? Why aren't there set plays? Why is Tatum yet again just dribbling to nowhere and flinging up a long fadeaway against 3 defenders at the end of the game?

I'm at a point with the dude where I don't even think it is just a matter of having a hands-off philosophy (that clearly doesn't match his roster). I think he doesn't even know what to do. No plays to call. No counters to make. Just figure it out, fellas. Shoot another 3 or five.

It's not like he needs to be Popovich or anything. We had 17 straight years with Doc and Brad calling slick out of timeout plays and making the necessary adjustments, plus a year of a solid Udoka/Will Hardy tandem right after that. When have you seen that with Joe?

I agree with your crunchtime assessment but do you really think this is 100% Joe's fault? Do you really think he says "hey, it's the last 5 minutes of a close game, why don't we stop doing the things that have been successful up to now and that i preach all the damn time and do something completely different?"

I think this is mostly on Tatum. Every time the ball is in Tatum's hands in crunchtime our offense slows to a crawl. I think he's been trying to let Tatum figure this out that this isn't the best approach. But he's our superstar, if you go around just telling him he's doing it wrong and try to go all Rick Carlisle on his ass how do you think that will go over? Joe has to walk a fine line.

One thing I've seen Joe do more is put the ball in White's hands and run plays with KP, which always generates more movement. So I think Joe is trying to show the team that this works better. Hopefully Tatum will see this. But Tatum is the guy who has to be on board. imo he's the issue here, not Joe. But Tatum is stubborn. Remember that one season where he tried to be Kobe? It's a long term process.

The fact is Joe empowers his players WAY more than Udoka did. That's a big reason why we are such an offensive juggernaut. He's managed the personalities on this team amazingly well, there are a lot of guys who could be getting bigger stats instead they are blending in and sharing, hell even JB is buying into that sometimes. To me that's the #1 job of a coach in a star-driven league, and Joe has been masterful at that.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#77 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:50 pm

Gant wrote:

Justified or not, sports hate is permanent. Golden State fans want to fire Kerr all the time. Spoelstra gets regular criticism. Milwaukee fans couldn't wait to get rid of Budenholzer. Nurse got run out of Toronto. It's the way of things.

Fans are emotional beings who transfer the grinding angst of human misery in a pitiless universe on to sports figures. Go Celtics!!

Agree.

What I don't agree with is the extremism.

Calling Joe a moron or an idiot is not difference in opinion anymore.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,670

Post#78 » by Homerclease » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:20 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Congrats, Domas?

Read on Twitter

Pretty much. I thought he was absolute garbage last night
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 22,001

Post#79 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:36 pm

Yeah, I though Sabonis was bad too, and I love the guy.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
CelticFaninLBC
General Manager
And1: 3,008

Post#80 » by CelticFaninLBC » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:45 pm

Sweet Serenity wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Joe Mazzulla is a **** clown. Can't believe how bad this guy is at all times. If he costs us another title, the only saving grace is that we will fire him for sure.

Also, I know some of you like Hauser, but he better not play in the playoffs. I will bet $10,000 to win $1,000 that if he averages close to his regular season average in minutes, we are getting bounced for sure.

Anyhow, yay... we won after trying to give the game away. Stay healthy, please.

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Nice. Have they won the title yet?

Celts17Pride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Apparently the 61-16 record is due to Joe's good luck.

Return to Boston Celtics