ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (and other Sports), 2023-24, Part 3

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Riverwalk2021
Sixth Man
And1: 1,918

Re: Around the NBA (and other Sports), 2023-24, Part 3 

Post#2021 » by Riverwalk2021 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:15 am

Fierce1 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
tfmiii wrote:When did NYK become such deadeye 3pt shooters?

Been watching all their games and the amount of clutch shots Vincenzo, Hart and OG hit is insane. When they miss they always get an offensive rebound. Lol

That's why I said talking about the Cs in the finals is premature.

If the C's don't get to the Finals, it would be a far bigger failure than either of the last two pos. The talent gap is outrageous.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,981

Post#2022 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:18 am

Riverwalk2021 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
Been watching all their games and the amount of clutch shots Vincenzo, Hart and OG hit is insane. When they miss they always get an offensive rebound. Lol

If the C's don't get to the Finals, it would be a far bigger failure than either of the last two pos. The talent gap is outrageous.

Totally agree with you.

But talent is not the issue with this current Celtics team.
Riverwalk2021
Sixth Man
And1: 1,918

Post#2023 » by Riverwalk2021 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:20 am

Fierce1 wrote:
Riverwalk2021 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:That's why I said talking about the Cs in the finals is premature.

Totally agree with you.

Lack of balls?
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,676

Post#2024 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 3:22 am

Fierce1 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
tfmiii wrote:When did NYK become such deadeye 3pt shooters?

Nonsense.

The Knicks have no bench.

Outside of that bizarre April game Brunson has never worried us much.

We should sweep them.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2025 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 3:24 am

Ben-N1ce wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:Now that’s a takeover guy. You know he’s taking the shot, but you can’t stop him. Clutch

He’s been guarded by Oubre, Batum, Maxey and Nembhard lol you probably could stop him if you put somebody above average defensively on him.

That def explains Tatum taking 1 foot dirk fades on Strus and long jumpshots on spring chicken Tristan Thompson.

Cavs are one of the NBA’s best defences and the Pacers are one of the NBAs worst.

Hope this helps .
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,631

Post#2026 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 3:42 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

We will win the series but first of all let's take care of business v the Cavs and it would also be foolish to underestimate the Knicks, esp whilst Jalen Brunson is playing , whom has been one of the best and most consistent performers in the playoffs so far, along with Ant Man and Derrick White.

At any rate, our players cannot go into that series with the complacent mindset we had last year v Miami.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 93,844

Post#2027 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu May 9, 2024 3:46 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
He’s been guarded by Oubre, Batum, Maxey and Nembhard lol you probably could stop him if you put somebody above average defensively on him.

That def explains Tatum taking 1 foot dirk fades on Strus and long jumpshots on spring chicken Tristan Thompson.

Cavs are one of the NBA’s best defences and the Pacers are one of the NBAs worst.

Hope this helps .

It doesn't.

Cavs w/ Jarrett Allen & Dean Wade: 98th percentile in defense; They'd rank 1st above the Wolves.
Cavs w/o Jarrett Allen & Dean Wade: 59th percentile in defense; They'd rank 16th in defense.

Okoro is their only decent wing defender, Mobley the sole rim protector who can easily be pulled out of the paint the way we stretch the floor, and a bunch of undersized and/or defensively inept guards.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2028 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 3:49 am

doogie_hauser wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:That's why I said talking about the Cs in the finals is premature.

Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

We will win the series but first of all let's take care of business v the Cavs and it would also be foolish to underestimate the Knicks, esp whilst Jalen Brunson is playing , whom has been one of the best and most consistent performers in the playoffs so far, along with Ant Man and Derrick White.

At any rate, our players cannot go into that series with the complacent mindset we had last year v Miami.

I’m not worried about either team.

My biggest concern was a healthy Heat and Bucks so forgive me for being very confident.

Those two and the Sixers are the only teams to give us real trouble the last two seasons so I’m not going to sit here and worry about the Cavs who we just smoked or a Knicks team that is falling over the line against the Pacers.

If I can’t be confident about this team i don’t think there’s a Celtics team I can ever be confident about lol.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#2029 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:04 am

Riverwalk2021 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Riverwalk2021 wrote:

Totally agree with you.

Lack of balls?

More of lack of brains.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#2030 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:06 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

Also agree with you 100%.

The problem is this Celtics team have a history of breaking the hearts of Cs fans.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,932

Post#2031 » by Triple7 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:09 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

My biggest concern was a healthy Heat and Bucks so forgive me for being very confident.

Those two and the Sixers are the only teams to give us real trouble the last two seasons so I’m not going to sit here and worry about the Cavs who we just smoked or a Knicks team that is falling over the line against the Pacers.

If I can’t be confident about this team i don’t think there’s a Celtics team I can ever be confident about lol.

Well, this knicks team is as scrappy as last years heat. They have better players and plays hard all the time. They have a closer with brunson. Better at scoring than butler, though butler is elite defensively if he tries.
Same thing guys said last year. Celtics are the better team, celtics in 5 against the heat, yet we lost.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2032 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:13 am

Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:

Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

The problem is this Celtics team have a history of breaking the hearts of Cs fans.

The two teams to end our last two seasons have been pretty damn good. Even Miami as the 8th seed due to Spo and Butler.

Plus as we know we changed the team.

Derrick White has gone to another level.

Holiday is simply better than Smart and Porzingis adds something we never had.

I know a few people got really rattled by that game 2 against Miami but on the whole we look far more locked in these playoffs.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#2033 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:14 am

Yeah, it's true.

When it comes to NY, it's not about talent, it's about if the Cs can match the effort NY will exert.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#2034 » by Fierce1 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:16 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Nonsense.

We should sweep them.

The two teams to end our last two seasons have been pretty damn good. Even Miami as the 8th seed due to Spo and Butler.

Plus as we know we changed the team.

Derrick White has gone to another level.

Holiday is simply better than Smart and Porzingis adds something we never had.

I know a few people got really rattled by that game 2 against Miami but on the whole we look far more locked in these playoffs.

Don't worry, if Cs face NY in the east finals, I have the Cs sweeping the Knicks.

The talent disparity is just too much.

But the Celtics are their own worst enemy, that's why there's the possibilty of the Cs letting us down.
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,631

Post#2035 » by doogie_hauser » Thu May 9, 2024 4:19 am

Derrick White and Jaylen have been amazing so far these playoffs. Tatum needs to step up to the plate (and I am confident he will)

Ideally I want us to dispatch the Cavs in no more than 5 games to give Zinger the most amount of time ro recover for the ECFs (although hearing some positive news lately that he may be back sooner)
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2036 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:21 am

Triple7 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
doogie_hauser wrote:

Well, this knicks team is as scrappy as last years heat. They have better players and plays hard all the time. They have a closer with brunson. Better at scoring than butler, though butler is elite defensively if he tries.
Same thing guys said last year. Celtics are the better team, celtics in 5 against the heat, yet we lost.

The Heat were scrappy but also incredibly smart and have been for a number of years. Thibs isn’t the coach that Spo is.

Brunson has never given us major problems and to say the Knicks have better players simply isn’t true. Give me Bam over anyone on the Knicks outside of Brunson and their bench right now is non-existent.

Knicks are a nice story and all but remind me very much of that Celtics team we had with IT which was eventually going to come up against a ridiculous talent gulf.

They are also going to be far more fatigued due to all the heavy minutes they are playing.
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Analyst
And1: 7,175

Post#2037 » by Mr_Mojo_Risin » Thu May 9, 2024 4:22 am

doogie_hauser wrote:Derrick White and Jaylen have been amazing so far these playoffs. Tatum needs to step up to the plate (and I am confident he will)

Ideally I want us to dispatch the Cavs in no more than 5 games to give Zinger the most amount of time ro recover for the ECFs (although hearing some positive news lately that he may be back sooner)

White yes, Jaylen was great last game, but JT was much better against Heat.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2038 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:29 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Ben-N1ce wrote:That def explains Tatum taking 1 foot dirk fades on Strus and long jumpshots on spring chicken Tristan Thompson.

Hope this helps .

It doesn't.

Cavs w/ Jarrett Allen & Dean Wade: 98th percentile in defense; They'd rank 1st above the Wolves.
Cavs w/o Jarrett Allen & Dean Wade: 59th percentile in defense; They'd rank 16th in defense.

Okoro is their only decent wing defender, Mobley the sole rim protector who can easily be pulled out of the paint the way we stretch the floor, and a bunch of undersized and/or defensively inept guards.

That’s still better than the matador defence the Pacers play.

We won by 25.

There was very little wrong with how Tatum played outside of missing some shots.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,932

Post#2039 » by Triple7 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:29 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:I’m not worried about either team.

The Heat were scrappy but also incredibly smart and have been for a number of years. Thibs isn’t the coach that Spo is.

Brunson has never given us major problems and to say the Knicks have better players simply isn’t true. Give me Bam over anyone on the Knicks outside of Brunson and their bench right now is non-existent.

Knicks are a nice story and all but remind me very much of that Celtics team we had with IT which was eventually going to come up against a ridiculous talent gulf.

They are also going to be far more fatigued due to all the heavy minutes they are playing.

I give you bam, after that? Who else was on that squad? Bunch of overachievers brcause of Spo’s system. I’ll take
Divincenzo, hart, OG and hartenstein over strus, duncan robinson, gabe vincent and caleb martin. We have a better squad this year. This squad would easily beat the heat of last year. Also, i agree thibs would run his squad to the ground before this series ends. Hoping the pacers can take them to a least 6.
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager

Post#2040 » by GrandTheftRondo » Thu May 9, 2024 4:40 am

Triple7 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

I give you bam, after that? Who else was on that squad? Bunch of overachievers brcause of Spo’s system. I’ll take
Divincenzo, hart, OG and hartenstein over strus, duncan robinson, gabe vincent and caleb martin. We have a better squad this year. This squad would easily beat the heat of last year. Also, i agree thibs would run his squad to the ground before this series ends. Hoping the pacers can take them to a least 6.

OG is better than those Heat guys yes but the other guys are all fairly similar to me. Role players doing well within systems.

I just don’t think the Knicks are as good the Heat were. The Butler Heat have sent the Bucks packing twice (albeit they did get lucky with Giannis missing games).

The Heat’s system has been on another level.

Butler has given us fits in games. Bam has given us problems at times. These two know how to maximise the role players around them.

Plus last season was a different Celtics team. They had a major flaw which got exposed. I don’t think we have nearly the same difficulty dispatching last seasons Heat with this one because we are far more loaded and have different ways to score.

There is a huge gulf between our talent and the Knicks right now. Far bigger than anything last season. They also are completely devoid of a bench.

I’m just very confident in my assertion that Spo is an excellent coach who had completely dialled in on how to make Tatum and Brown play down a level because he knew we lacked a big presence. Not the same anymore and I don’t see Thibs having answers for our threats.

Return to Boston Celtics