ImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS, Rnd 1, Gm 3 – Celtics(1) @ Heat(1) – 6:00PM, Sat, April 27, 2024

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

KillahGhostface
Starter
And1: 4,802

Re: PLAYOFFS, Rnd 1, Gm 3 – Celtics(1) @ Heat(1) – 6:00PM, Sat, April 27, 2024 

Post#81 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Usually happens with Tatum having the ball up top and Heat don't send a second guy. "Go quick" is not in their vocabulary. Too much scanning and standing around. Mismatch iso over and over. Then they collapse once we get into the paint leaving not much time to go into secondary action or even kick out, swing-swing for a three.

That video shows Tatum, but he’s been the only one consistently making quick decisions in the series.

Seconds/dribbles per touch

White- 4.70/4.63
Holiday- 4.01/3.63
Jaylen- 3.75/3.63
Tatum- 3.06/1.76

Everyone else needs to join him, and he needs to run more PnR.
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,137

Post#82 » by tfmiii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:09 pm

Tatum taking the ball up the court is a recipe for slooooooow mo offense
tfmiii
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,137

Post#83 » by tfmiii » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:12 pm

I'd love to see our PGs take the ball up AND initiate offense, both JT or JB w ball at 3pt line initiating gives me a headache
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,166

Post#84 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 pm

KillahGhostface wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Usually happens with Tatum having the ball up top and Heat don't send a second guy. "Go quick" is not in their vocabulary. Too much scanning and standing around. Mismatch iso over and over. Then they collapse once we get into the paint leaving not much time to go into secondary action or even kick out, swing-swing for a three.

That video shows Tatum, but he’s been the only one consistently making quick decisions in the series.

Seconds/dribbles per touch

White- 4.70/4.63
Holiday- 4.01/3.63
Jaylen- 3.75/3.63
Tatum- 3.06/1.76

Everyone else needs to join him, and he needs to run more PnR.

Jaylen brought the ball up on that possession and passed to Tatum with 15 seconds left on the clock.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#85 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:15 pm

tfmiii wrote:I'd love to see our PGs take the ball up AND initiate offense, both JT or JB w ball at 3pt line initiating gives me a headache

Read on Twitter

Tatum and White should be initiating the offense 100% of the time.
KillahGhostface
Starter

Post#86 » by KillahGhostface » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:19 pm

If we lose games in the playoffs because Tatum sucks, as much as that sucks, I can understand it. If we lose playoff games because we’re not using our first team all nba guy enough? That’s poor coaching.

Really curious about the offense tomorrow night, though I’m fairly confident that I know what it’ll be.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 11,307

Post#87 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:34 am

lon3lytoaster wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I mean, nobody expected us to rattle off 3 wins in a row last year in the ECF vs Miami but we did - and that was when MIA had butler (and we had a better roster than we do now, a rookie HC and worse assistant coaches)

Sometimes you just gotta let things play out and not rush to make sweeping conclusions after only 1 or 2 games..

So true. :nod:

So much fear of being critical. It’s an 8 seed missing 2/3 of their best players. It’s more than fair to say the Celtics have consistently played down for far more than 1-2 games. This is what they do :noway:

2 games is just too early to tell.

Back in 2022, Cs were leading the finals 2-1 against GSW.

Things started to change in Game 4.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#88 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:37 am

KillahGhostface wrote:If we lose games in the playoffs because Tatum sucks, as much as that sucks, I can understand it. If we lose playoff games because we’re not using our first team all nba guy enough? That’s poor coaching.

Really curious about the offense tomorrow night, though I’m fairly confident that I know what it’ll be.

There's already chatter here about how Tatum sucks.

That's a guarantee that a 40 piece or a 30-point game is coming.

Been like that since JT became the #1 option of this Celtics team.

When doubted, JT goes off.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,821

Post#89 » by The Corey's » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:46 am

I really got the Miami fans going in the general board thread.

Y'all lacking when it's coming to getting them worked up over nothing.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,316

Post#90 » by TheMartian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 am

Fierce1 wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:So true. :nod:

So much fear of being critical. It’s an 8 seed missing 2/3 of their best players. It’s more than fair to say the Celtics have consistently played down for far more than 1-2 games. This is what they do :noway:

I'm not talking about just the 2 games against the Heat though. lon3lytoaster gets it.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#91 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:47 am

TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
lon3lytoaster wrote:

I'm not talking about just the 2 games against the Heat though, lon3lytoaster gets it.

Like I kept saying before the season started, during the season, and close to the playoffs, the Celtics have a bigger chance of winning it next year than this year.

But I kept being told I'm crazy because the Celtics can win it now and should win it now.

All your concerns are valid because for the whole season the Celtics did something that would make you question them.

Maybe against Denver, but to be concerned about this Heat team?

If Cs go down 1-3 to the Heat heading into Boston then that's a concern.

But 1-1?

Come on!
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#92 » by TheMartian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:54 am

Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:2 games is just too early to tell.

I'm not talking about just the 2 games against the Heat though, lon3lytoaster gets it.

Like I kept saying before the season started, during the season, and close to the playoffs, the Celtics have a bigger chance of winning it next year than this year.

But I kept being told I'm crazy because the Celtics can win it now and should win it now.

All your concerns are valid because for the whole season the Celtics did something that would make you question them.

But 1-1?

Come on!

I'll say it again. Nothing has shown me in the past few games and not just the 2 against Miami (i'm talking about the duds towards the end of the regular season where our "stars" actually played but didn't bother showing up) that this Celtics team is capable of just turning it up and dominating the Heat. Nothing.

If there's something you see in this team that tells you otherwise, I don't see it.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#93 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 am

TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

But 1-1?

Come on!

I'll say it again. Nothing has shown me in the past few games and not just the 2 against Miami (i'm talking about the duds towards the end of the regular season where our "stars" actually played but didn't bother showing up) that this Celtics team is capable of just turning it up and dominating the Heat. Nothing.

If there's something you see in this team that tells you otherwise, I don't see it.

Like I said, you are NOT wrong.

But here's the thing, a bad Celtics team will eliminate this overachieving Heat team no matter what.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#94 » by TheMartian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 am

Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Like I kept saying before the season started, during the season, and close to the playoffs, the Celtics have a bigger chance of winning it next year than this year.

But 1-1?

Come on!

But here's the thing, a bad Celtics team will eliminate this overachieving Heat team no matter what.

Don't be too sure of yourself. This Celtics team might surprise you, and not in a good way.

The Heat are overachieving, yes, and that's because they have an excellent coach that knows how to strategize against their opponents. I can't say the same about the Celtics.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#95 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:06 am

TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

Don't be too sure of yourself. This Celtics team might surprise you, and not in a good way.

The Heat are overachieving, yes, and that's because they have an excellent coach that knows how to strategize against their opponents. I can't say the same about the Celtics.

I don't disagree with you about that.

But here's the thing, this season is house money to me.

So what if the Cs lose this year?

I have the Cs at their best next year, 2025.

While it's true the Cs could lose this series, because it's really possible, but it's unlikely.

Cs might not be at their peak this year, but they're good enough to win it all this year.
TheMartian
General Manager

Post#96 » by TheMartian » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:15 am

Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Like I said, you are NOT wrong.

While it's true the Cs could lose this series, because it's really possible, but it's unlikely.

Cs might not be at their peak this year, but they're good enough to win it all this year.

I don't disagree, they are capable of winning it all this year, but a lot of things have to fall into place for that to happen -

- The 2 new recruits - KP and Jrue, need to be better than what they're currently showing, and that stigma about both of them being poor playoff performers needs to change right now.

- the reliance on the 3 ball, as much as it has been this team's primary offensive strategy, needs a backup plan in case their shots aren't falling.

- the coaching staff needs to realize that the defense, most notably the drop coverage, isn't working.

Those are just a few, but there are a lot more.
Memokerobi
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,463

Post#97 » by Memokerobi » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
bisme37 wrote:So Spo and the Heat came into Game 1 and we made a million 3's and blew them out. Spo and the Heat were not prepared to stop our barrage when the game started and they made no apparent mid-game adjustments to stop it. The Heat lost and no one blamed Spo or said he was a bad coach.

There's now talk that Heat "sacrificed" Game 1, not showing their hand, knowing they wouldn't be able to physically compete after the quick turnaround from the play-in game. That the series started in G2 for them. The bare minimum for them was to get one in Boston then take care of business at home to have Cs against the ropes. They did that.

Let's see how Celtics respond in Game 3. We got to get HCA back immediately and convincingly. If we really are the team we think we are, we should also take Game 4. We're still talking about an 8-seed that sputtered all season and is now without their best player and another starter. There's just zero excuse for this series to extend more than it should.

Not calling for Joe to get fired after one loss. But you have to consider it if we don't advance past R1 and R2.

Calling bull on this. Heat are in no place to spot a game to the Celtics. Yeah the loss sucks but the first game was not a case of the Heat letting us win lol
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,557

Post#98 » by Triple7 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:47 am

Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:Like I said, you are NOT wrong.

Lol. A lot can happen in a year. Injuries to key players, other players teaming up to form a super team. We have the best record, and with injuries to embiid and giannis, this is the best opportunity to win it all. We need to be in the finals this year no excuses. If we are healthy and failed to get to the finals, next year would be worse. Tatum will get majority of the blame. Only silver lining would be Joe possible getting canned.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#99 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 am

Triple7 wrote:
Fierce1 wrote:
TheMartian wrote:

Lol. A lot can happen in a year. Injuries to key players, other players teaming up to form a super team. We have the best record, and with injuries to embiid and giannis, this is the best opportunity to win it all. We need to be in the finals this year no excuses. If we are healthy and failed to get to the finals, next year would be worse. Tatum will get majority of the blame. Only silver lining would be Joe possible getting canned.

That's your opinion.

My opinion is the Cs need 1 more year to gel.

KP has very limited playoff experience.

This is Jrue's first time as a Celtic.

Lebron, Wade, and Bosh needed an extra year before finally getting a ring.

That 2008 Celtics was unique.

All the championships that were won from 2021 to 2023 were from teams that have been together for some time.

Even Lebron and AD needed an extra year to get their first ring together.

This is not Xbox or PlayStation where you don't need cohesion and chemistry.
Fierce1
RealGM

Post#100 » by Fierce1 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 am

Also, it doesn't make sense to expect the Celtics to win a championship if Jayson Tatum is as bad as some of you are saying.

It's like an oxymoron.

Jayson Tatum is so bad, but we still expect him to lead the Celtics to a championship.

Duh!

Return to Boston Celtics