Rob Neyer: On the Pipe or Evil Pod People Stole His Brains?

Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Rob Neyer: On the Pipe or Evil Pod People Stole His Brains? 

Post#1 » by Basketball Jesus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:55 pm

Those are the two most logical explanations for this article from the usually good Neyer:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview08 ... id=3310373

Neyer lists his top 50 players over the next five years. While I appreciate the cautious measure of not including prospects, how the hell can he justify the list from the mid-teens on?

And in what dystopian society is Jhonny Peralta a better option over the next five years than Mark Teixeira or Russ Martin?
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#2 » by GYBE » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:20 pm

How is Dustin Pedroia 14 spots ahead of Prince Fielder?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#3 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:20 pm

I think I counted 7 pitchers. I guess Neyer is very cautious of pitchers, and while I can see why, I would still have more than 7. Guys like Hamels, Kazmir, and Felix have proven they belong, while guys like Lincecum could also have a good argument.

Not really sure in which world guys like Melky, Uggla, Pedroia, Peralta are definite better than the dreaded prospects in Bruce and Rasmus. If Longoria can make it at 20 as a prospect, and these two can't get in the next 30 spots something is wrong. Also, a guy like Adam Jones is almost the same thing as a prospect and would be grouped with Rasmus had he had a few less AB. Supposedly Melky is better than Chris Young.

I enjoyed reading the blurb about Braun then seeing Hanley 2nd, although if Hanley moved to center he likely would be better defensively.

Not sure how Zimmerman is better than Tulo, unless your absolutely killing Tulo for his splits/park.

Maybe I'm just crazy but I would take Pujols over Cabrera the next 5 years, although the elbow does make it understandable.

Fielder and Howard behind a few of the guys I've already mentioned is crazy, although they don't have any defensive value.

Just a few comments, although I could probably make a lot more.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#4 » by HCYanks » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Melky? Seriously? His ceiling is an .800 OPS centerfielder. Which is nice, but hell, I think he's just keeping the seat warm for Austin Jackson. And you like him better than Bruce or Joba or Buchholz?

Bad, Rob, bad. You're supposed to finish your article and then go visit the crack den.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#5 » by Schad » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:55 am

Lemme get this straight: on offense alone, Braun might be the best in baseball over the next five years. But because he is a terrible defender, he's #14?

The kid is playing left field, and he will likely be very, very bad. But to justify tumbling from the very top to the early teens, Braun would have to be the worst defensive left fielder in major league history, would be not?

Matt Holliday, after having two tremendous seasons in a row, including a 150 OPS+ last year, has peaked at age 28 and sits 41st. Sure, he might not reach those numbers again...but very few players in the major leagues will. Penalizing him for merely being great is idiotic.

Power hitting shortstops are apparently a real bonus, even if their fielding is bad enough that they probably shouldn't play shortstop. Ian Kinsler is pegged 25th because he could hit 30+ HRs, but there are six other players 28 years old or younger behind him on the list.

Rob Neyer is an impressive man.
**** your asterisk.

Return to Player Comparisons