Best NL Shortstop?

Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#21 » by Flash3 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:04 am

Black Jesus 1 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Nooo way. Renteria is still an absolute beast @ SS. He's having one of his best years right now, but is currently on the DL.

.336 | 11 | 53 | .392 OBP
Yeah, he's having a very good season, I never said he wasn't. But, he played better, IMO while a member of the Cardinals.

But, the season he's currently putting together is pretty impressive, too.
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#22 » by Sixerscan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:19 pm

1. Hanley
2. REYES!!!
3. Rollins
4. Renteria
5. Tulo

The NL East is stacked with awesome infielders.
Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,884

Post#23 » by Jose7 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:34 am

Hanley Ramirez's throwing error causes the meltdown and the loss of the Marlins. He sure is the best SS in the NL.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Flash3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:11 pm

[quote="Jose7
Prsfin3st1z
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Prsfin3st1z » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:24 pm

Jose now, because he's on a winning squad...with many injuries. More speed too. Hanley has crazy numbers, BUT his team is not winning as many games, when the marlins win Hanley wins :wink:

AND REMEMBER THEY ARE BOTH THE SAME AGE!

So I expect more out of both of them with years to come...
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Flash3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:16 pm

Hey Hey Hey!

A-Rod was on a losing team, and was still considered the best SS in the league. ;)

:D
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#27 » by 34Celtic » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:39 pm

Flash3 wrote:Hey Hey Hey!

A-Rod was on a losing team, and was still considered the best SS in the league. ;)

:D

Jose Reyes does more to help his team win, and that makes him better in my mind
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Flash3 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:07 pm

^T'was a comical take on Prsfin3st1z's post, hence the smiley @ the end.
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#29 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:56 pm

Jose impacts the game on a much bigger scale. Stolen bases alone is alarming for pitchers. Reyes is working on a gold glove, and is still young and improving. Hanley is just an insane offensive player, much like Cabrera. Hanley is no sneeze when it comes to stealing bases either though, and if he was on any other team in baseball he would be a house hold star...

Reyes is more of a complete baseball player, so id give it to him. Though both will be neck to neck for years to come... assuming Florida can keep Hanley.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:46 am

Manhattan Project wrote:Though both will be neck to neck for years to come...
It's going to be the Derek Jeter vs A-Rod debate, all over again, don't you think?

assuming Florida can keep Hanley.

:pray:
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Post#31 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:16 am

Flash3 wrote:It's going to be the Derek Jeter vs A-Rod debate, all over again, don't you think?

With a dash of Nomar and Miguel thrown on top...

Curious though, who do you keep. Willis, Cabrera or Hanley? Im assuming your going to go with Hanley though.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:43 am

1A. Cabrera
1B. Hanley
3. Willis

It's going to be tough to keep Cabrera or Hanley, because the Marlins are not a team to offer their players early extensions and get their deals out of the way before they become even better players down the road, when they are available for to be come Free Agents out-right; a la what the Mets did with Reyes and Wright last season, giving them extensions which many thought was much under market value had they waited .

But, right now I'd rather keep and build this team around Hanley and Miguel and who knows, maybe with the down year Willis has had thus far this season, he comes cheap and we actually re-sign him, but I doubt it.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#33 » by GYBE » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:49 am

Florida's too smart to re-sign Willis. They abused his arm as a youngster, he'll probably get overpaid by some dumb GM and give his team mediocre play and possible injuries down the road.

8)
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Flash3 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:51 am

He's had some nice games here and there, even with all of his struggles this season. But the defense behind him this season, has extended a lot of the innings for him, getting him into trouble and keeping him there.

I still think he can be a solid pitcher in this league, not necessarily an Ace, but he has the stuff, just a down year, I hope.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#35 » by Da Schwab » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:36 pm

GYBE wrote:Florida's too smart to re-sign Willis. They abused his arm as a youngster, he'll probably get overpaid by some dumb GM and give his team mediocre play and possible injuries down the road.

8)

He's a perfect fit for the Yankees then (See: Pavano, Carl).

Anyways:

1. Hanley
2. Rollins
3. Reyes

Until Jose Reyes develops some sort of power (15-20 HR power), he'll just be a really fast guy with a really good arm for the rest of his career, IMO.

I really don't think a guy like him will be able to survive in baseball for much longer. The grave for that style of baseball has already been dug.
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#36 » by 34Celtic » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:51 pm

gunnabdaschwab09 wrote:Until Jose Reyes develops some sort of power (15-20 HR power), he'll just be a really fast guy with a really good arm for the rest of his career, IMO.

I really don't think a guy like him will be able to survive in baseball for much longer. The grave for that style of baseball has already been dug.

Thats the most ridiculus statement I've ever heard in my entire life. If you have watched one Mets game this year you would realize this guy deserves serious MVP consideration. He has stolen over 60 FREEKING BASES 3 straight years. soon to be 70 this year. how many guys have ever done that? He hit 19 HR last year and has 9 this year so there goes that arguement. He absolutly can rip the ball, theres more to baseball than homeruns and if you can hit hard line drives consistently you will do alright in my book. His triple count goes 17, 17, 11. his doubles go 24, 30, 27. All that said, hes approached 200 hits the last 3 years and approached 100 runs easily the last three years. Oh and he's still only 24. But by what youre saying he will be out of baseball in a few years. Because all he can do is run and throw. And throw he can do by the way, really well...the kids got a cannon. The graves been dug my left ***.

EDIT: I just want to make it clear that Reyes hit 19 HR last year, like that matters, and also has 11 this year. Out of baseball in a few years? I just can't get over that statement.

The grave will never be dug on a player such as this. Seriously, go out, do yourself a favor and buy DirecTV or MLBTV.com and buy the Mets package. Watch Reyes play this weekend. Please tell me you feel the same way. If you don't change your mind I will cut you a check for $100 and have it in the mail Monday morning.
HCYanks wrote:Thanks for reminding me Clay Buchholz is a couple of blocks away from me, Fox. Now I have to go hide my laptop.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Da Schwab » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:03 pm

Whoa, whoa, whoa..... I'm not saying that Reyes will be out of the league in a few years:

I was just saying how his type of player is rare in the MLB nowadays, and won't be seen much in the future of baseball without incredibly bloated power numbers (you know.... 20, 30, 40 HRs).

I know there's more to the game than dingers, but baseball is in (what seems to be) a long period of high power number players. Reyes is incredibly talented player that will have a long and illustrious career. But guys who play like him won't be as highly coveted anymore with such a high rise in power.

I should've said that smallball is close to being extinct in this sport.

Please forgive my omissions.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 9,115

Post#38 » by meatball sub » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:16 pm

I ride Hanley's jock wherever he goes so I would be lying if my answer was anything but "Hanley Ramirez". With that said the three best are Hanley, Reyes, J Rol and it's pretty close as to who's the best since you can't go wrong with any of them.

Defense: J Rol (close since all are above average)
Speed: Reyes (no doubt)
Hitting: Hanley (pretty wide margin in most categories)
Overall: Hanley (best bat, no slouch defensively and is a 50 sb guy)

Reyes is by far the fastest out of these three, but that only make him better than J Rol and Hanley in terms of stolen bases.

Both Hanley and Reyes are very dangerous on the bases (J Rol is a threat as well) but Reyes is the guy that seems to distract pitchers more and throw them off their game just by simply getting on base. That's what makes Jose Reyes the player he is. It's not just his stolen base numbers, it's how everytime he gets on base it can lead to a big inning and/or a rally.

1. Hanley
2. Reyes
3. J Rol
34Celtic
Analyst

Post#39 » by 34Celtic » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:59 pm

I really don't think small ball is on the way down and find it funny you say that. The NL continues to play it while a lot of teams in the AL play it as well, and have been successful with it. Angels, Twins, A's, etc and I think that makes players like Reyes, Furcal, Ichiro, Polanco, Derek Jeter, Figgins, Pedroia (even though I hate him), Reggie Willits, Melky Cabrera, Carl Crawford, Brian Roberts, Corey Patterson, Juan Pierre, Freddy Sanchez, etc fun to watch. Fact of the matter is, if you can play baseball and move runners along, situational hit, etc you are going to have a job....if you can hit the home run or not.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Da Schwab » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:03 pm

34Celtic wrote:I really don't think small ball is on the way down and find it funny you say that. The NL continues to play it while a lot of teams in the AL play it as well, and have been successful with it. Angels, Twins, A's, etc and I think that makes players like Reyes, Furcal, Ichiro, Polanco, Derek Jeter, Figgins, Pedroia (even though I hate him), Reggie Willits, Melky Cabrera, Carl Crawford, Brian Roberts, Corey Patterson, Juan Pierre, Freddy Sanchez, etc fun to watch. Fact of the matter is, if you can play baseball and move runners along, situational hit, etc you are going to have a job....if you can hit the home run or not.

I'm sorry for the cliche but, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

And, to tell the truth...... I kinda kicked myself in the ass when I reread my first post.

But, I truly do think smallball is on its way out.

Return to Player Comparisons