Q&A with Carl Landry

Moderator: bwgood77

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Q&A with Carl Landry 

Post#1 » by Copperhead » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 pm

Before we get into the series of fan questions, how have you been spending your summer prior to this week?

Landry: It’s been busy. I went to China for two weeks with (the program) NBA Nation. I just came back from Dallas three days ago, helping one of my former teammates in Houston, Mike Harris, with his basketball camp for a couple days. Before that, I took a little time to recuperate from the season and make sure my body was intact for workouts in the summer. It’s been a little bit of everything. The NBA Nations thing was basically teaching Chinese kids how to play basketball and the fundamentals of basketball.

What made you decide to host a basketball camp in the New Orleans area this year?

Landry: I just thought it was something that was definitely needed. A lot of times basketball camps are put on, but there isn’t an NBA player interactive and involved with the kids. I felt like I could be that person who could get out there and work with the kids one-on-one, to help them develop into better basketball players. Not only that, but help them develop as people.
It’s a ball. Seeing them improve every day brings a smile to my face. Some of these kids come in, and they can’t make right-hand layups, or can’t dribble with their left hand, but by the end of the camp, you see a tremendous improvement. That definitely is fun to watch.

What was your reaction to yesterday’s trade with the Wizards, in which the Hornets acquired Rashard Lewis and the No. 46 pick for Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza?

Landry: It’s tough to see friends go. Obviously they’re my friends first. I wish them the best, and understand that this is a business. Sometimes moves have to be made. But they were a big part of this team, did a great job of helping us get to the playoffs two years ago and taking the Lakers to six games. Trevor Ariza is a class act, a professional, as is Emeka Okafor. It’s definitely tough.

What’s your perspective on how important contract details have become in the league? It seems like that can be a much bigger part of the discussion than the actual ability of players.

Landry: Yeah, it’s become like a numbers game. That’s how it is sometimes. Sometimes teams try to trade players to cut salaries so they can pick up other players and make moves. At the end of the day, they’re trying to do what’s best for the organization and the ballclub. Hopefully it helps you win games.

OK, on to some Twitter questions from fans. From @qi_26: Do you still want to be a Hornet?

Landry: Definitely. I’ve played here for the last two years. I love the city, the food, the weather, the people, the coaching staff. They are heading in the right direction and the team is going to be here for 12 more years (due to the team’s lease extension). We’ve got an owner who wants to win. So I definitely want to be here.

http://neworleanshornetsblog.blogspot.c ... andry.html

I'd like to have Landry back but something tells me they won't bring him back.
The Answer!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,006

Re: Q&A with Carl Landry 

Post#2 » by The Answer! » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:59 pm

Landry's definitely someone you want brought back next season. With so much youth on the roster, his veteran tutelage is invaluable to the locker room and rookies starting out, especially AD.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans