What is living in New Orleans like?

Moderator: bwgood77

Lucky Striker
Banned User
And1: 8

What is living in New Orleans like? 

Post#1 » by Lucky Striker » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:23 pm

Sorry for the OT, not that I think it's getting in the way of too much discussion here anyway. But I've been watching the show Treme for a while and am super intrigued by New Orleans. It seems like such a vibrant place, rich in culture, with great food and a lot going on.

Of course, that is just a TV show, and what I read makes NO sound like one of the worst cities in the country with the extremely high crime rate, poverty, corruption, etcetera.

Is anyone here that lives in, or has lived in New Orleans, willing to share what life is really like there?
JoeyH
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Re: What is living in New Orleans like? 

Post#2 » by JoeyH » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:25 pm

eitheodg summed it up perfectly
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#3 » by Copperhead » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Lucky Striker wrote:Sorry for the OT, not that I think it's getting in the way of too much discussion here anyway. But I've been watching the show Treme for a while and am super intrigued by New Orleans. It seems like such a vibrant place, rich in culture, with great food and a lot going on.

Of course, that is just a TV show, and what I read makes NO sound like one of the worst cities in the country with the extremely high crime rate, poverty, corruption, etcetera.

Is anyone here that lives in, or has lived in New Orleans, willing to share what life is really like there?

New Orleans is very much vibrant, rich in culture, with great food and a lot going on. Always something going on. Always something to do. A lot of times it's like one big party. However, there is a high crime rate, mostly due to drugs. The thugs usually know the guys they're killing. Poverty (there are poor, unemployed, homeless people here too), corruption (mostly politics). A lot of those bad things are in many cities though. What most people do on Saturday nights in their cities, people do in NOLA every night of the week. That is IF you like that kind of thing.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,072
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Nothing like it really. Hard to explain until you just come for yourself. The crime rate and such is really high, but as long as you're staying out of terrible neighborhoods, you don't have to worry.

Whenever we host an event (superbowl, all star game, etc) it's always such a unique blend of our own culture with the sports element, it makes for an awesome atmosphere in the entire city.

There's plenty of trouble to be found, but if you're smart, you'll only find all the good things.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"

Return to New Orleans Pelicans