Hey Pelicans fans, what are your thoughts on Marcin Gortat?

Moderator: bwgood77

scooper1030
Sophomore
And1: 203

Hey Pelicans fans, what are your thoughts on Marcin Gortat? 

Post#1 » by scooper1030 » Sat Sep 7, 2013 4:15 am

Hey guys,

I'm a Suns fan here, and I want to ask you how you would feel about targeting Marcin Gortat in a trade. You guys could use a traditional starting center who can provide defense and rebounding, and Gortat would be just that. Plus, I'm pretty certain you could make a trade without having to give up any major pieces currently on your roster.

For example, a trade of Marcin Gortat and Malcolm Lee for Jason Smith, Greg Stiemsma, Anthony Morrow and a first-round pick (anywhere from 2015 to 2017) would work financially. Or, if you don't want to give up that much frontcourt depth, you could replace Stiemsma with Rivers + your choice of Miller/Thomas/Withey/Onuaku to make the salaries balance out.

In either case, you guys would end up with Holiday, Gordon, Evans, Davis, Gortat, Aminu and Anderson all on the same roster. Even in a deep Western Conference, that sounds like a playoff team to me if Gordon stays relatively healthy.

And why do the Suns do this? Well, we're just trying to tank/rebuild. Trading Gortat for Smith/Stiemsma would make us even worse and give us a better chance at the #1 pick in the 2014 Draft. On top of that, both of those two guys are expiring contracts, meaning we can drop both players at the end of the season and have over $13 million in cap space to use on free agents.

Plus, the future draft pick would give us yet another young prospect to work with in the future.

So, how does that sounds to you? Does it make sense? Would you rather give up Anderson to go get a center like Asik from Houston? Or would you rather just leave the current roster untouched?
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,087
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: Hey Pelicans fans, what are your thoughts on Marcin Gort 

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Sep 9, 2013 8:39 pm

I'd do it as long as we don't risk a top 5 pick or something. I like Gortat a lot, and I think his size and physicality would help Anthony Davis in the paint a lot.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,189

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:25 pm

Gortat's solid if you don't have a star center. Very good defensive rebounder, sometimes solid on the offensive glass, not a turnover factor, not TOTALLY useless at the line, has been flashing a pop jumper while playing in Phoenix (and a pretty solid one in some seasons), typically finishes well around the rim (extremely well alongside Nash, but even better this past season).

You could do a lot worse, as long as he's healthy, for sure. He isn't old, either. Like NO-KG-AI said, though, as long as it's top-5 protected, then it's a solid deal. Asik would probably be a better choice, though.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,189

Post#4 » by tsherkin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 pm

Asik or Gortat would be wicked additions...
PELICANSFAN
Bench Warmer
And1: 101

Post#5 » by PELICANSFAN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Would love Gortat if we did not have to give up key players. Steimsma is beyond bad.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans